• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF
  • Like

AusGAF (2016) : Page 142
Jintor
Lit himself on fire to get
a mod to tag him
(03-18-2017, 12:38 AM)
Jintor's Avatar
gonna head into sydney cbd in this idiotic thunderstorm, think there's anywhere worth wandering into a physical store location to try and snag a switch case to make the grasping commercialist part of my brain happy?
hirokazu
Member
(03-18-2017, 03:11 AM)
hirokazu's Avatar

Originally Posted by Jintor

gonna head into sydney cbd in this idiotic thunderstorm, think there's anywhere worth wandering into a physical store location to try and snag a switch case to make the grasping commercialist part of my brain happy?

I'm still looking for a Switch case myself. :/

My life is not complete until I can take my Switch on the go!
Rizzi
Member
(03-18-2017, 07:13 AM)
Rizzi's Avatar
Went and saw Logan. Holy shit that movie.
endlessflood
Member
(03-18-2017, 07:45 AM)

Originally Posted by Aarglefarg

Growing up in the '90s, my parents always said it was too expensive to rent games. I don't know how true that was.

I used to hire games occasionally in the school holidays when I was growing up, I think my parents saw it as an investment in keeping me out of trouble. We'd have to turn the console off when the power brick became too hot to touch (to let it cool down), but we still definitely got our money's worth :p
EatChildren
Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
(03-18-2017, 07:54 AM)
EatChildren's Avatar
I'm so frustrated with my real estate agency and body corp. My air conditioner/split system isn't working correctly. They've sent two groups of people out to "repair" it, and on both occasions the actual crew took the quickest, easiest way out possible, weren't properly informed by the aforementioned groups as to what the problem is, and took forever to have dates organised (and on both occasions I was alerted at the very last minute).

I've got no experience or real knowledge with split system technicalities, so maybe I'm over stepping my grounds, but I'm trying to critical think and take a rational approach to diagnosing the error. And I think it's pretty simple, at least to have a starting point. The interior unit stops blowing, and going outside you find the outdoor unit fan has stopped too. Resetting the system does not fix this. It's a gamble; sometimes it works, most of the time it doesn't. When the error occurs the interior unit's operation light flashes five times consecutively, pause then repeat. This is the diagnoistic erorr, and according to the official Mitubishi split system service manual it states, quote unquote, "When it consecutively occurs 3 times that the compressor stops for overcurrent protection or start-up failure protection within 1 minute after start-up." There's following reference material explicitly suggestion a test for the inverted/compressor.

So far both crews have done the following; changed the batteries in the remote, cleaned the unit, and changed the gas. Everyone is ignoring the diagnostic indicator flashing right in front of them, and me basically pointing to the manual and saying this is what it is indicating.

I've endured over a month of hot days on a third floor apartment over a shopfront, sweltering in the heat. My apartment cooks, and 90% of the time my air con is out of action because if this issue.

What are my options? I'm this close to telling them to get fucked, hiring someone to fix/replace the pieces as necessary, and either billing them or forcefully deducting the expense from my next rent. It's a joke at this point and I'm pissed off.
Quasar
Member
(03-18-2017, 07:59 AM)
Quasar's Avatar
So, I started to watch Iron Fist. Expectations low as I've lost interest in all the other Marvel shows after about 4 episodes. Am actually enjoying it so far...though I expect like the others I'll lose interest,

Already its made me pine for a version of the Colleen Wing/Misty Knight Heroes For Hire comic book. Of course that had Black Cat in it too, which would make it hard to happen.
ClivePwned
Member
(03-18-2017, 10:07 AM)
ClivePwned's Avatar

Originally Posted by EatChildren

I'm so frustrated with my real estate agency and body corp. My air conditioner/split system isn't working correctly. They've sent two groups of people out to "repair" it, and on both occasions the actual crew took the quickest, easiest way out possible, weren't properly informed by the aforementioned groups as to what the problem is, and took forever to have dates organised (and on both occasions I was alerted at the very last minute).

I've got no experience or real knowledge with split system technicalities, so maybe I'm over stepping my grounds, but I'm trying to critical think and take a rational approach to diagnosing the error. And I think it's pretty simple, at least to have a starting point. The interior unit stops blowing, and going outside you find the outdoor unit fan has stopped too. Resetting the system does not fix this. It's a gamble; sometimes it works, most of the time it doesn't. When the error occurs the interior unit's operation light flashes five times consecutively, pause then repeat. This is the diagnoistic erorr, and according to the official Mitubishi split system service manual it states, quote unquote, "When it consecutively occurs 3 times that the compressor stops for overcurrent protection or start-up failure protection within 1 minute after start-up." There's following reference material explicitly suggestion a test for the inverted/compressor.

So far both crews have done the following; changed the batteries in the remote, cleaned the unit, and changed the gas. Everyone is ignoring the diagnostic indicator flashing right in front of them, and me basically pointing to the manual and saying this is what it is indicating.

I've endured over a month of hot days on a third floor apartment over a shopfront, sweltering in the heat. My apartment cooks, and 90% of the time my air con is out of action because if this issue.

What are my options? I'm this close to telling them to get fucked, hiring someone to fix/replace the pieces as necessary, and either billing them or forcefully deducting the expense from my next rent. It's a joke at this point and I'm pissed off.

Does your unit have a water outflow pipe? Is that dripping? Is it blocked (wasps or mice or leaves). That's about the only thing left to do without someone actually qualified in AC units takes a look (sounds like the agents have a maintenance agreement with people who have no AC expertise). You have gas, and you have power so it sounds like somewhere along the line its safety mode is kicking in, perhaps there's a short somewhere or it's detecting moisture.

either way, sucks man. be cool.
bodyboarder
Member
(03-18-2017, 10:08 AM)
bodyboarder's Avatar

Originally Posted by EatChildren

I'm so frustrated with my real estate agency and body corp. My air conditioner/split system isn't working correctly. They've sent two groups of people out to "repair" it, and on both occasions the actual crew took the quickest, easiest way out possible, weren't properly informed by the aforementioned groups as to what the problem is, and took forever to have dates organised (and on both occasions I was alerted at the very last minute).

I've got no experience or real knowledge with split system technicalities, so maybe I'm over stepping my grounds, but I'm trying to critical think and take a rational approach to diagnosing the error. And I think it's pretty simple, at least to have a starting point. The interior unit stops blowing, and going outside you find the outdoor unit fan has stopped too. Resetting the system does not fix this. It's a gamble; sometimes it works, most of the time it doesn't. When the error occurs the interior unit's operation light flashes five times consecutively, pause then repeat. This is the diagnoistic erorr, and according to the official Mitubishi split system service manual it states, quote unquote, "When it consecutively occurs 3 times that the compressor stops for overcurrent protection or start-up failure protection within 1 minute after start-up." There's following reference material explicitly suggestion a test for the inverted/compressor.

So far both crews have done the following; changed the batteries in the remote, cleaned the unit, and changed the gas. Everyone is ignoring the diagnostic indicator flashing right in front of them, and me basically pointing to the manual and saying this is what it is indicating.

I've endured over a month of hot days on a third floor apartment over a shopfront, sweltering in the heat. My apartment cooks, and 90% of the time my air con is out of action because if this issue.

What are my options? I'm this close to telling them to get fucked, hiring someone to fix/replace the pieces as necessary, and either billing them or forcefully deducting the expense from my next rent. It's a joke at this point and I'm pissed off.

I assume you put all the requests in writing?

I remember you saying you are in Tasmania previously
http://www.consumer.tas.gov.au/renti...generalrepairs
reptilescorpio
Member
(03-18-2017, 01:25 PM)
reptilescorpio's Avatar

Originally Posted by mikezilla2

looking to get ahold of a US copy of UMSVC3 for PS4 or perhaps some other region if the comics in english? tho having problems locating any sites that stock it outside of ebay and one of the sites i linked to in a diffrent thread is out of stock - would be intresting to see a Press start article on this Rep :P guess AU and EU wont be getting it but asia/japan and the US are ... ,

also looking at getting this Drive for my PS4 - tho im unsure of the drives speed cant be as slow as those enterprise drives that seagate pumped out at consumer level prices a few years back ( tho iv not used em)

trying to figure out if i should be picking up a bare drive or going with a diffrent brand not big on seagate drives but iv heard its WD that are cheaping out with there drives ....

but yea trying to figure out a Cost break down - theres an idea for an Article Rep :P

In terms of Ultimate MvC3 retail copies you're in a bit of a spot there since it is a restricted print run in the US. You can grab a copy from OzGameShop for $60, bit of a markup from the USD$30 they would've paid for them but at least it's available.

I honestly haven't looked at external HDD's for the PS4 since I've had a 2TB internal drive since early on. The rare time I hit the ceiling on it I just delete all the disc installs that I no longer play. Decent little roundup here, I'd prefer to see a DF/Eurogamer article which shouldn't be far off.
ClivePwned
Member
(03-18-2017, 09:41 PM)
ClivePwned's Avatar
Did a double bill of Kong: Skull Island and Logan today.

Both good but in different ways. neither was a standout for me, though.

Kong has a good cast, good story (though I felt they fudged the setup, though it wasn't too clunky compared to most films), great period details and good action. It also had some really awesome sound design and brilliant direction by Jordan Vogt-Roberts. I mean, there are so many beautifully designed visuals in this film without them feeling unnecessarily flashy (ever watched a drama from the UK in the last 10 years?). Criticisms were mainly to do with how some characters never really feel like they're in much jeopardy and it doesn't really build to a totally satisfying action-packed ending. If you think the trailers made it look goofy, ignore that, it's not a joke-laden film for the most part.

Logan is grim, dark, gruesome and often very funny (way funnier than Kong tries to be). Its a departure from superhero films (which I usually love unless they're Fantastic Four-level terribad) but it works so well. Patrick Stewart and Hugh are just fantastic in these roles. Patrick Stewart is probably funnier in this than Extrasbut now it's too late and I've seen everything

So I couldn't tell you which was better, just that i enjoyed both as 8/10s. The last 10 for me was Rogue One by way of reference.
evlcookie
but ever so delicious
(03-18-2017, 11:47 PM)
evlcookie's Avatar
I watched rogue one and I thought to myself, Damn Star Wars movies are boring.
OfTheOverflow
Member
(03-19-2017, 12:46 AM)
OfTheOverflow's Avatar
Wow, Rogue One was a ten for you? I saw it twice and the second time I was pretty disappointed actually after the intial 'Ooh, more Star Wars' factor wore off.

Logan's a great watch, and yeah, I normally don't care for superhero movies much.
bomma_man
Member
(03-19-2017, 02:54 AM)
bomma_man's Avatar

Originally Posted by EatChildren

I'm so frustrated with my real estate agency and body corp. My air conditioner/split system isn't working correctly. They've sent two groups of people out to "repair" it, and on both occasions the actual crew took the quickest, easiest way out possible, weren't properly informed by the aforementioned groups as to what the problem is, and took forever to have dates organised (and on both occasions I was alerted at the very last minute).

I've got no experience or real knowledge with split system technicalities, so maybe I'm over stepping my grounds, but I'm trying to critical think and take a rational approach to diagnosing the error. And I think it's pretty simple, at least to have a starting point. The interior unit stops blowing, and going outside you find the outdoor unit fan has stopped too. Resetting the system does not fix this. It's a gamble; sometimes it works, most of the time it doesn't. When the error occurs the interior unit's operation light flashes five times consecutively, pause then repeat. This is the diagnoistic erorr, and according to the official Mitubishi split system service manual it states, quote unquote, "When it consecutively occurs 3 times that the compressor stops for overcurrent protection or start-up failure protection within 1 minute after start-up." There's following reference material explicitly suggestion a test for the inverted/compressor.

So far both crews have done the following; changed the batteries in the remote, cleaned the unit, and changed the gas. Everyone is ignoring the diagnostic indicator flashing right in front of them, and me basically pointing to the manual and saying this is what it is indicating.

I've endured over a month of hot days on a third floor apartment over a shopfront, sweltering in the heat. My apartment cooks, and 90% of the time my air con is out of action because if this issue.

What are my options? I'm this close to telling them to get fucked, hiring someone to fix/replace the pieces as necessary, and either billing them or forcefully deducting the expense from my next rent. It's a joke at this point and I'm pissed off.

Which state are you in?
Quasar
Member
(03-19-2017, 04:04 AM)
Quasar's Avatar

Originally Posted by evlcookie

I watched rogue one and I thought to myself, Damn Star Wars movies are boring.

My reaction was basically...'so a Disney star wars I actually like - maybe I wont just give up on Disney Star Wars'.
ClivePwned
Member
(03-19-2017, 09:42 AM)
ClivePwned's Avatar
10 because I am a Star Wars fan and someone who enjoys a good movie. There wasn't any other big film I liked and enjoyed more from 2016. Hence why I saw it three times at the cinema.

but yeah, opinions.
endlessflood
Member
(03-20-2017, 02:26 AM)

Originally Posted by ClivePwned

10 because I am a Star Wars fan and someone who enjoys a good movie. There wasn't any other big film I liked and enjoyed more from 2016. Hence why I saw it three times at the cinema.

but yeah, opinions.

I really enjoyed it too. It's an 8.5 for me; would've been a 9 without the ridiculous CGI characters.
hirokazu
Member
(03-20-2017, 03:40 AM)
hirokazu's Avatar
I'm surprised that 8/10 isn't a standout for you, and that you gave Rogue One 10/10. Are we working on a scale where an average film is 7/10?

I had to return my Switch yesterday because there's a weird lighter streak on the screen that's not visible when something dark is on the screen. I was expecting Big W to exchange it for another unit, but they gotta send it to Nintendo to assess whether to repair or replace, yadda yadda.

Not too happy about it, and no idea how long it'll take. :/
bodyboarder
Member
(03-20-2017, 04:06 AM)
bodyboarder's Avatar

Originally Posted by hirokazu

I'm surprised that 8/10 isn't a standout for you, and that you gave Rogue One 10/10. Are we working on a scale where an average film is 7/10?

I had to return my Switch yesterday because there's a weird lighter streak on the screen that's not visible when something dark is on the screen. I was expecting Big W to exchange it for another unit, but they gotta send it to Nintendo to assess whether to repair or replace, yadda yadda.

Not too happy about it, and no idea how long it'll take. :/

You should have pushed harder, or gone to another big w.
trinest
(03-20-2017, 04:40 AM)
trinest's Avatar

Originally Posted by OfTheOverflow

Wow, Rogue One was a ten for you? I saw it twice and the second time I was pretty disappointed actually after the intial 'Ooh, more Star Wars' factor wore off.

Logan's a great watch, and yeah, I normally don't care for superhero movies much.

Rogue One is best Starwars movie
Logan is best mutaint movie.
Dmax3901
Member
(03-20-2017, 04:52 AM)
Dmax3901's Avatar
Paging EatChildren:

Originally Posted by Dmax3901

Looks like a regional filter for multiplayer isn't happening any time soon.

Chuck
Still without luck
(03-20-2017, 04:56 AM)
Chuck's Avatar
I was told that EB has a 7 day return policy for new games. Do people abuse the f out of that?
Ruthless_Barbarian
Member
(03-20-2017, 05:14 AM)
Ruthless_Barbarian's Avatar

Originally Posted by Dmax3901

Paging EatChildren:

The MP is p2p, why would it have regional servers to begin with?
hirokazu
Member
(03-20-2017, 06:06 AM)
hirokazu's Avatar

Originally Posted by bodyboarder

You should have pushed harder, or gone to another big w.

I dunno, I didn't want to cause a fuss and I don't know what Big W's usual policy is for that sort of thing. Just that it's probably a minor fault under consumer law, so I don't have a right to demand an on-the-spot exchange or refund unless they take too long getting back to me, or if they get it back from Nintendo and they didn't repair it.

The dumb thing is their no-questions-asked refund policy is 10 days and I brought it back within that period. So it could've been potentially easier had I brought it back for a change-of-mind refund.

Originally Posted by Chuck

I was told that EB has a 7 day return policy for new games. Do people abuse the f out of that?

Don't know about people abusing it, but pretty sure EB themselves abuse it by reselling those returns as new.
Dmax3901
Member
(03-20-2017, 06:40 AM)
Dmax3901's Avatar

Originally Posted by Ruthless_Barbarian

The MP is p2p, why would it have regional servers to begin with?

But now way of filtering to ensure you're paired with people nearby?
Quasar
Member
(03-20-2017, 06:55 AM)
Quasar's Avatar
Fuck.

Help my parent remove everything from their kitchen over the weekend as they are getting all their cupboards and bench tops replaced and new appliances.

Guys came in to remove all the old cupboards today. Discovered much of the rear of the kitchen has been eaten away by termites. Termites all dead though as they had pest control proactively spraying in recent years. Still...being pensioners now they are facing a dire bill to repair all the termite damage.

Oddly the damage was done to a relatively recent extension. The older part of the house seems untouched.
bodyboarder
Member
(03-20-2017, 07:11 AM)
bodyboarder's Avatar

Originally Posted by hirokazu

I dunno, I didn't want to cause a fuss and I don't know what Big W's usual policy is for that sort of thing. Just that it's probably a minor fault under consumer law, so I don't have a right to demand an on-the-spot exchange or refund unless they take too long getting back to me, or if they get it back from Nintendo and they didn't repair it.

The dumb thing is their no-questions-asked refund policy is 10 days and I brought it back within that period. So it could've been potentially easier had I brought it back for a change-of-mind refund.


Don't know about people abusing it, but pretty sure EB themselves abuse it by reselling those returns as new.

Lesson learnt, next time just return it.
hirokazu
Member
(03-20-2017, 07:26 AM)
hirokazu's Avatar

Originally Posted by bodyboarder

Lesson learnt, next time just return it.

:<

They need to make it easier for people being honest, not harder!
Rizzi
Member
(03-20-2017, 12:36 PM)
Rizzi's Avatar

Originally Posted by hirokazu

I dunno, I didn't want to cause a fuss and I don't know what Big W's usual policy is for that sort of thing. Just that it's probably a minor fault under consumer law, so I don't have a right to demand an on-the-spot exchange or refund unless they take too long getting back to me, or if they get it back from Nintendo and they didn't repair it.

The dumb thing is their no-questions-asked refund policy is 10 days and I brought it back within that period. So it could've been potentially easier had I brought it back for a change-of-mind refund.


Don't know about people abusing it, but pretty sure EB themselves abuse it by reselling those returns as new.

Yeah, EB sells new games that have been returned as new. It's kind of shitty.
Aarglefarg
Member
(03-20-2017, 01:28 PM)
Aarglefarg's Avatar

Originally Posted by Chuck

I was told that EB has a 7 day return policy for new games. Do people abuse the f out of that?

They have a Fair Use policy forbidding the "overuse/abuse of the Satisfaction Returns Policy" (2.3.6): https://ebgames.com.au/EBWorld/about/terms

I doubt this is still the case since I haven't heard about it for ages, but around Christmases the return period used to be much longer. From memory, it was something like that games bought in December could be returned until mid-January.

I have a friend in the US who did this with used games at GameStop which I understand has a similar policy but just for used games. He'd buy only used games since he could return them within the week (which he would usually do).
reptilescorpio
Member
(03-20-2017, 01:48 PM)
reptilescorpio's Avatar

Originally Posted by Aarglefarg


I doubt this is still the case since I haven't heard about it for ages, but around Christmases the return period used to be much longer. From memory, it was something like that games bought in December could be returned until mid-January.

Still do this, was active over 2016 Xmas. Was from like 1st December all the way through to 18th January I think.
Ruthless_Barbarian
Member
(03-20-2017, 02:49 PM)
Ruthless_Barbarian's Avatar
I hope local retailers drop ME:A price within a weekor two. The mediocre reviews should help :P
ClivePwned
Member
(03-20-2017, 06:00 PM)
ClivePwned's Avatar

Originally Posted by Ruthless_Barbarian

I hope local retailers drop ME:A price within a weekor two. The mediocre reviews should help :P

Unless it absolutely bombs or they overship, EA's unlikely to drop the price much for at least the first month (although anything's possible).

I'll wait a month or two for some big drops.
mikezilla2
Member
(03-20-2017, 09:17 PM)

Originally Posted by reptilescorpio

In terms of Ultimate MvC3 retail copies you're in a bit of a spot there since it is a restricted print run in the US. You can grab a copy from OzGameShop for $60, bit of a markup from the USD$30 they would've paid for them but at least it's available.

I honestly haven't looked at external HDD's for the PS4 since I've had a 2TB internal drive since early on. The rare time I hit the ceiling on it I just delete all the disc installs that I no longer play. Decent little roundup here, I'd prefer to see a DF/Eurogamer article which shouldn't be far off.


Cheers Rep if there are no other options i just might have to go that route

i also have an internal 2tb drive but eh too many online things, and yea DF round up would be good it was suggest that i grab a bare drive and throw it in a Caddy rather than grabbing an external for me i just want the Raw space and maybe in the future i may switch out the sping point with a SSD

also whats everyones throughts on Kona?

il skip ME:A i think
endlessflood
Member
(03-21-2017, 12:05 AM)

Originally Posted by mikezilla2

Cheers Rep if there are no other options i just might have to go that route

i also have an internal 2tb drive but eh too many online things, and yea DF round up would be good it was suggest that i grab a bare drive and throw it in a Caddy rather than grabbing an external for me i just want the Raw space and maybe in the future i may switch out the sping point with a SSD

Be careful, some of those large capacity 'backup' drives have multiple spindle disks inside them connected via an internal USB hub, and won't work with the PS4 (because of the hub - the drive must be connected directly to the PS4 to work).
Dmax3901
Member
(03-21-2017, 12:27 AM)
Dmax3901's Avatar
Hey guys, my friend and I have done a podcast (gaming related of course), if you got a spare 40-60 minutes have a listen and let me know what you think :)
mikezilla2
Member
(03-21-2017, 02:22 AM)

Originally Posted by endlessflood

Be careful, some of those large capacity 'backup' drives have multiple spindle disks inside them connected via an internal USB hub, and won't work with the PS4 (because of the hub - the drive must be connected directly to the PS4 to work).

well i plan to be using this as is ie wont be cracking an cases ....


checking out the Pod cast linked above
Hoya Destroyer
Member
(03-21-2017, 04:20 AM)
Hoya Destroyer's Avatar

Originally Posted by Ruthless_Barbarian

I hope local retailers drop ME:A price within a weekor two. The mediocre reviews should help :P

I thought about buying it from JB for $69 (XB1). My problem is, I love playing my games without having to worry about changing disks etc, so I'll have to get the digital version - and XBL want $100 for that! Other than customers like me, I dont know why digital is so expensive.
Ruthless_Barbarian
Member
(03-21-2017, 04:24 AM)
Ruthless_Barbarian's Avatar

Originally Posted by Hoya Destroyer

I thought about buying it from JB for $69 (XB1). My problem is, I love playing my games without having to worry about changing disks etc, so I'll have to get the digital version - and XBL want $100 for that! Other than customers like me, I dont know why digital is so expensive.

I don't know how it works on XBL, but when I buy digital, I do so from the US PSN store.

Digital prices in AU stores are like daylight robbery.
endlessflood
Member
(03-21-2017, 04:24 AM)

Originally Posted by mikezilla2

well i plan to be using this as is ie wont be cracking an cases ....

In that case just make doubly sure it's only a single spindle disk inside before you buy it.
viciouskillersquirrel
NeoGAF's Emotion Exchequer Extraordinaire
(03-21-2017, 05:14 AM)

Originally Posted by bobnowhere

David Leyonhjelm in the Senate talking about The Witcher and Outlast 2's banning.

Broken clocks and all that.
Fredescu
Member
(03-21-2017, 05:18 AM)
Fredescu's Avatar

Originally Posted by viciouskillersquirrel

Broken clocks and all that.

More like twice a year in his case.
radaxian
Member
(03-21-2017, 11:40 AM)

Originally Posted by Hoya Destroyer

I thought about buying it from JB for $69 (XB1). My problem is, I love playing my games without having to worry about changing disks etc, so I'll have to get the digital version - and XBL want $100 for that! Other than customers like me, I dont know why digital is so expensive.

At least in this case JB are also selling the PC version (which is effectively digital) for only $59. Despite having a high end PC I'll probably still get it on PS4, it's just a console series to me.
dishwasherlove
Member
(03-21-2017, 12:13 PM)
dishwasherlove's Avatar
I paid $99 for a Nier from EB and it nearly killed me on moral grounds. Couldn't even price match it. I was spending a gift card but still..
radaxian
Member
(03-21-2017, 12:49 PM)

Originally Posted by dishwasherlove

I paid $99 for a Nier from EB and it nearly killed me on moral grounds. Couldn't even price match it. I was spending a gift card but still..

Yeah I might have to go for ozgameshop on that one.
aussiedude08
Member
(03-21-2017, 01:02 PM)

Originally Posted by bobnowhere

David Leyonhjelm in the Senate talking about The Witcher and Outlast 2's banning.


i wonder who wrote his speech.

I had no intent to play Outclast 2. but its just bullshit it was banned. So much for the R rating fixing the issues with our video game rating system.

You can see worse stuff on TV in shows like Game of Thrones.
radaxian
Member
(03-22-2017, 12:42 AM)

Originally Posted by aussiedude08

i wonder who wrote his speech.

I had no intent to play Outclast 2. but its just bullshit it was banned. So much for the R rating fixing the issues with our video game rating system.

You can see worse stuff on TV in shows like Game of Thrones.

I have no time for that man but I do agree with the sentiment of this particular speech.
reptilescorpio
Member
(03-22-2017, 03:04 AM)
reptilescorpio's Avatar
Nintendo Switch $445.55 through Target

Originally Posted by aussiedude08

i wonder who wrote his speech.

I had no intent to play Outclast 2. but its just bullshit it was banned. So much for the R rating fixing the issues with our video game rating system.

You can see worse stuff on TV in shows like Game of Thrones.

It's nothing to do with what you see in other mediums. This is to do with the guidelines as they currently exist.

Gaz might be able to come in and rundown the process of obtaining classification better than me.
My memory is that you submit to the board a list of what happens in the game that could impact the rating. You can also submit footage taken of these events to show the level of impact.

Here is the finding by the board

The computer game is classified RC in accordance with the National Classification Code, Computer Games Table, 1. (a) as computer games that "depict, express or otherwise deal with matters of sex, drug misuse or addiction, crime, cruelty, violence or revolting or abhorrent phenomena in such a way that they offend against the standards of morality, decency and propriety generally accepted by reasonable adults to the extent that they should not be classified."

I've bolded the important words here which pushed it into R/C.

I'll spoiler the actual content from the game which got it R/C
Remember in Far Cry 3 where you get raped by the tribe leader while on drugs? Outlast 2 has something similar to that but it's a horror game so it's horrific. You get made part of a ritual with demons from a FPP. A female demon rubs over you and it's implied the demon gives you oral sex as they wipe their mouth after being down there. This is the act that makes it sexual violence as the player character is screaming and restrained through this.

I have no issue with the rating as they have just applied it exactly as they have been asked. The R rating was seen at the time as a very soft step forward due to the conditions required to obtain the R.

I still very firmly believe that it probably would've got through (Hotline Miami 2 as well) if it was being handled by a big publisher who would do their homework on making sure it gets the lowest rating possible. Like I said, technically Far Cry 3 would be R/C these days IMO. A lot of it has to do with the framing of the event in the game.

I'd be shocked if they don't do a few small tweaks to the scene and end up with an R before release. I don't know the dev/pub thought process on the game though, depending on how firm they are with their beliefs (eg. Hotline Miami 2).
HowZatOZ
Banned
(03-22-2017, 03:07 AM)
Each day ticks by and I'm one step closer to buying a switch to play Zelda but I must wait. I need to finish Horizon first or I never will.
endlessflood
Member
(03-22-2017, 03:28 AM)
I'm assuming the classification guidelines for the game R rating are stricter than the movie R rating, is that correct?

But we've always known that drug use and sexual violence were the things that might get a game refused classification; at least the game R rating has removed plain old violence as a reason for a game being refused classification.

Thread Tools