• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF
  • Like

WITHE1982
Member
(08-17-2016, 12:28 PM)
WITHE1982's Avatar

Originally Posted by SynthFetish

Wait what? How?

https://www.reddit.com/r/NoMansSkyTh...do_not_have_a/

Or read post #9 in this thread for a detailed (and most excellent) guide.



...tonight that is.

daxy
Member
(08-17-2016, 12:30 PM)
daxy's Avatar
Having weighed all the pluses and minuses about NMS, I decided to take the plunge anyway. As someone who enjoyed taking in the scenery in FUEL for hours on end and just walking around the landscapes in open world RPGs, I think I could overlook some of the issues this game has. Still, Minecraft grew pretty stale for me after a dozen or so hours, so I guess it's a toss up!

edit: Is the Atlas path still recommended if I just want to bounce around planets and explore? Could I forget about it mid-way and return to it later, or get on it in the game if I chose the exploration path?
Baalzebup
Member
(08-17-2016, 12:33 PM)
Baalzebup's Avatar

Originally Posted by Apt101

I've been trying to sell a few commodity items for a while. I can't find any place that will take them. I would junk them but I sold one of them near the start of the game it sold really well, so I don't want to miss out on them sweet credits. I'm a little strapped for credits, I didn't realize one could earn them by uploading discoveries until I was around twelve hours into the game.

Edit: oh yea, I finally found a highly-populated planet. It was a rocky world with toxic dust, frequent storms. I flew over like 20 or 30 sites, no exaggeration. I eventually had to stop landing because I was running low on plutonium from the frequent take offs. I really need a new ship. My cargo space it crap.

No, seriously, you should be able to sell pretty much anything and every single buy/sell transaction will let you sell the same articles. Only the price you can sell them at will differ based on the buyer. What is it that you are trying to sell and cannot?
Orcastar
Member
(08-17-2016, 12:33 PM)
Orcastar's Avatar

Originally Posted by WordAssassin

2) I found a LIVING PLANET. I went into one of those research pods that's been totally fucked up and the story it told said the planet was alive and the water isn't actually water but pools of its blood. What the fuuuuuuuuuuuuuck.

Did the planet actually look any different from all the others or did you actually just stumble on a story that you could probably find on any planet as long as you keep visiting those research pods?
Apt101
Member
(08-17-2016, 12:35 PM)
Apt101's Avatar

Originally Posted by Baalzebup

No, seriously, you should be able to sell pretty much anything and every single buy/sell transaction will let you sell the same articles. Only the price you can sell them at will differ based on the buyer. What is it that you are trying to sell and cannot?

Fascination Pearls, I believe they are called, and some kind of ceremonial dagger. Is my game bugged? I literally cannot sell them. Or maybe I'm just fucking stupid and am missing something obvious.
Baalzebup
Member
(08-17-2016, 12:37 PM)
Baalzebup's Avatar

Originally Posted by Apt101

Fascination Pearls, I believe they are called, and some kind of ceremonial dagger. Is my game bugged? I literally cannot sell them. Or maybe I'm just fucking stupid and am missing something obvious.

Sellable literally anywhere you can trade. Scroll pages with L1/R1? You usually have much more than a single pages worth of shit and the every trader has around 3 pages worth of shit to sell.

Or this, yeah

Originally Posted by IvanJ

My only idea is that you have them in your ship's cargo and you're away from the ship so it's not picking them up. (Or switch between exosuit and ship options when in the sell menu)

IvanJ
Banned
(08-17-2016, 12:38 PM)

Originally Posted by Apt101

Fascination Pearls, I believe they are called, and some kind of ceremonial dagger. Is my game bugged? I literally cannot sell them. Or maybe I'm just fucking stupid and am missing something obvious.

I was always able to sell everything I had in the inventory. Everywhere I tried.

My only idea is that you have them in your ship's cargo and you're away from the ship so it's not picking them up. (Or switch between exosuit and ship options when in the sell menu)
venomenon
Member
(08-17-2016, 12:38 PM)
venomenon's Avatar

Originally Posted by Apt101

Fascination Pearls, I believe they are called, and some kind of ceremonial dagger. Is my game bugged? I literally cannot sell them. Or maybe I'm just fucking stupid and am missing something obvious.

You should definitely be able to sell them.
What happens when you try? Is it greyed out, does it appear in the list at all? Have you selected the right inventory (you can switch between the suit inventory and the ship one as long as the ship is nearby/on a nearby landing pod)?
Apt101
Member
(08-17-2016, 12:39 PM)
Apt101's Avatar
Thanks guys, I don't think I've been switching between inventories. I'll try again as soon as I find a terminal or space station. Currently looking for copper.
noomi
Member
(08-17-2016, 12:39 PM)
noomi's Avatar

Originally Posted by SynthFetish

Wait what? How?

Originally Posted by Xenthar

Finally got my 48 slots ship! So fast on a gek system, i went from 41 slots to 48 in like less than a hour.

I have about 1.8 million credits at the moment, and the pre-order dlc ship with 16 slots is not cutting it anymore I need something better.

What's the process of getting a better ship? Should I just spend the money on something that lands at the station?

*edit*

nevermind I see the answer above :)
Saint of Killers
Member
(08-17-2016, 12:44 PM)
Saint of Killers's Avatar

Originally Posted by Aselith

WEEEEEEEEEEEEEELP

:P I did the same this morning. (Pics+vids on first page.) Very similar looking gold node too!
FHIZ
Member
(08-17-2016, 12:46 PM)
FHIZ's Avatar
Realized about 7 or 8 systems out of the original starting one that I left the Atlas thing unfinished... I thought I just had to follow that orange path...

Well... gonna dupe some warp cells I guess.
SG-17
Member
(08-17-2016, 12:46 PM)
SG-17's Avatar









Blue class star.
Apt101
Member
(08-17-2016, 12:48 PM)
Apt101's Avatar
Question, are there any mild planets? Like, not harsh environments? Something like Earth?
Munter
Member
(08-17-2016, 12:50 PM)
Munter's Avatar
Are vortex cubes good for anything, or am I best just selling them?
OriginalThinking
Member
(08-17-2016, 12:50 PM)
OriginalThinking's Avatar

Originally Posted by noomi

I have about 1.8 million credits at the moment, and the pre-order dlc ship with 16 slots is not cutting it anymore I need something better.

What's the process of getting a better ship? Should I just spend the money on something that lands at the station?

*edit*

nevermind I see the answer above :)

2 options. Find a crashed ship and fix it up. Very grindy though as crashed ships usually only have one more slot. Or wait at a space station/trading post and check out the ships that are landing. They'll cost you though. I think about 1.8-2 million will buy you a ship with about 23 slots, off the top of my head.
Wok
Member
(08-17-2016, 12:52 PM)
Wok's Avatar

Originally Posted by Apt101

Question, are there any mild planets? Like, not harsh environments? Something like Earth?

Yes.
OriginalThinking
Member
(08-17-2016, 12:53 PM)
OriginalThinking's Avatar

Originally Posted by Munter

Are vortex cubes good for anything, or am I best just selling them?

So far the only use for them I've found is to sell them. If you're still on a planet that has them and you know a nearby location with a trading terminal you can farm them and make a few million credits.
noomi
Member
(08-17-2016, 12:55 PM)
noomi's Avatar
Only in my 2nd star system, but found my favorite planet yet. Wintry Forest ^_^



]

Originally Posted by OriginalThinking

2 options. Find a crashed ship and fix it up. Very grindy though as crashed ships usually only have one more slot. Or wait at a space station/trading post and check out the ships that are landing. They'll cost you though. I think about 1.8-2 million will buy you a ship with about 23 slots, off the top of my head.

Reading the guide it says to buy a 24 slot shop and then use the transmission towers to find crashed ships.

Does it have to be a gek tower though, I'm in a Vorvax system at the moment.
SlickShoes
Member
(08-17-2016, 12:56 PM)
SlickShoes's Avatar
Right I found a guy in the space station willing to sell me this cool looking 26 slot ship for 2.7 million. I got the money then waited on him coming back, he eventually did and now he wants 2.8 million. I go get that from selling some stuff and he's gone, so I wait an hour for him to come back. Now he wants 3 million.

Will this ever end? is this ship designed to be always just out of reach no matter how much money I have? I'm getting sick of waiting on him coming back now.
AGoodODST
Member
(08-17-2016, 12:59 PM)
AGoodODST's Avatar
So the planets definitely rotate right?

I stood atop a mountain on a low atmosphere planet looking up into space and you can clearly see a planet, the space station and the stars in the back round. You can see the stars moving across the sky as the planet rotates.

Does that then mean that planets, moons and space stations are static and don't have orbits and have fixed positions?

Sorry if it's been discussed, it is the first time I have actually looked up and noticed the rotation.
Sakura
Foreigners: Give them an inch (of animu panties), and they'll take a mile.

DO NOT CONSORT WITH FOREIGNERS.
(08-17-2016, 12:59 PM)
Sakura's Avatar

Originally Posted by WITHE1982

https://www.reddit.com/r/NoMansSkyTh...do_not_have_a/

Or read post #9 in this thread for a detailed (and most excellent) guide.

I tried this but it just kept giving me the same crashed ship.
Baalzebup
Member
(08-17-2016, 01:07 PM)
Baalzebup's Avatar

Originally Posted by SlickShoes

Right I found a guy in the space station willing to sell me this cool looking 26 slot ship for 2.7 million. I got the money then waited on him coming back, he eventually did and now he wants 2.8 million. I go get that from selling some stuff and he's gone, so I wait an hour for him to come back. Now he wants 3 million.

Will this ever end? is this ship designed to be always just out of reach no matter how much money I have? I'm getting sick of waiting on him coming back now.

Theory that hasn't been investigated all that much, but does match what I and others have observed: Everything points at the ship prices being partially dependent on some of the assets that you currently have in your possession, especially all the assets in your current ship.

Try dismantling every single possible piece of tech on your ship and move all expensive elements and such to your suit inventory. The next time you see the ship, there should be a noticeable drop in the price. The trade-off is that the next ship will have less advanced components on it. As long as you don't trigger a save after the dismantling, you can easily test it and load something goes awry.
venomenon
Member
(08-17-2016, 01:08 PM)
venomenon's Avatar

Originally Posted by FHIZ

Realized about 7 or 8 systems out of the original starting one that I left the Atlas thing unfinished... I thought I just had to follow that orange path...

Well... gonna dupe some warp cells I guess.

Umm, shit. You're not supposed to just follow the path?
Last task I was given was to build a warp drive (the one that takes 600 nickel, if I'm not mistaken), which I did after taking my time and jumping a couple of systems in the process. I was about to follow the path now until I get a new task. I'm in my 12th system now, I think...
ambar_hitman
Member
(08-17-2016, 01:11 PM)
ambar_hitman's Avatar
I found a abandoned kind of space lab on a planet. All spookey music and shit.
It had green eggs inside it. Reminded me of Alien movie Series.
Apt101
Member
(08-17-2016, 01:14 PM)
Apt101's Avatar

Originally Posted by ambar_hitman

I found a abandoned kind of space lab on a planet. All spookey music and shit.
It had green eggs inside it. Reminded me of Alien movie Series.

I found a few of those. One had some long-dead robotic lifeform in it, trapped within some kind of floral experiment for longer than it could recall (it still had a kind of memory I could read). It was a little sad.
Camp Freddie
Member
(08-17-2016, 01:17 PM)
Camp Freddie's Avatar

Originally Posted by noomi

Only in my 2nd star system, but found my favorite planet yet. Wintry Forest ^_^

Reading the guide it says to buy a 24 slot shop and then use the transmission towers to find crashed ships.

Does it have to be a gek tower though, I'm in a Vorvax system at the moment.

The Gek towers are bugged and it apparently lets you use the same tower as many times as you want.

On non-Gek planets, you need to:
Activate a beacon, ask for a transmission tower, go to the tower, activate it, go to the ship, repair it, find a beacon, repeat from start.
StratosGK
Member
(08-17-2016, 01:17 PM)
StratosGK's Avatar
As soon as i read that you can enable the Gek Transmission Towers more than once, i fired up the game and from a 38 slot ship i got a 48 in less than an hour!

When my search for the 48 slot started i was anxius because i wanted to find a good looking one fast and this is the first one i found:




I loved it!
I need to upgrade the Hyperdrive now, but this is in general how i manage my slots:

DiabloTheGrey
Member
(08-17-2016, 01:18 PM)
DiabloTheGrey's Avatar
Is there a glitch with technology not showing up in the install screen?

Twice now I've gotten Warp Reactor Theta tech that it says I already know, but when I go to install it on my ship, which doesn't already have the Theta version installed, it isn't in my list of tech that can be installed.
SG-17
Member
(08-17-2016, 01:19 PM)
SG-17's Avatar

Originally Posted by StratosGK

As soon as i read that you can enable the Gek Transmission Towers more than once, i fired up the game and from a 38 slot ship i got a 48 in less than an hour!

When my search for the 48 slot started i was anxius because i wanted to find a good looking one fast and this is the first one i found:



I loved it!
I need to upgrade the Hyperdrive now, but this is in general how i manage my slots:

Uhh, where is the plasma beam on that ship?
WITHE1982
Member
(08-17-2016, 01:20 PM)
WITHE1982's Avatar

Originally Posted by Sakura

I tried this but it just kept giving me the same crashed ship.

Was it on a Gek system? Apparently you can't save outside the transmission tower either or the glitch wont work.

I've yet to try it myself though.

Spent an hour last night duping Emeril at a space station. Got 15mil units and upgraded to a 32 slot ship.

I also got my first Atlas Pass. I feel the game is just starting to open up for me now (20 hours in).
StratosGK
Member
(08-17-2016, 01:20 PM)
StratosGK's Avatar

Originally Posted by SG-17

Uhh, where is the plasma beam on that ship?

I don't like plasma beam! Photon Cannon is pretty much all i need!
SlickShoes
Member
(08-17-2016, 01:21 PM)
SlickShoes's Avatar

Originally Posted by Baalzebup

Theory that hasn't been investigated all that much, but does match what I and others have observed: Everything points at the ship prices being partially dependent on some of the assets that you currently have in your possession, especially all the assets in your current ship.

Try dismantling every single possible piece of tech on your ship and move all expensive elements and such to your suit inventory. The next time you see the ship, there should be a noticeable drop in the price. The trade-off is that the next ship will have less advanced components on it. As long as you don't trigger a save after the dismantling, you can easily test it and load something goes awry.

Cheers, I did try dismantling what I had in my current ship and when the guy came back he wanted 2.9 million. This has been going on for about 3 hours now. I'll go and farm up another 200k tonight and see if he still puts his price to just out of my reach again.
Baalzebup
Member
(08-17-2016, 01:22 PM)
Baalzebup's Avatar

Originally Posted by DiabloTheGrey

Is there a glitch with technology not showing up in the install screen?

Twice now I've gotten Warp Reactor Theta tech that it says I already know, but when I go to install it on my ship, which doesn't already have the Theta version installed, it isn't in my list of tech that can be installed.

More like a glitch with the game trying to give you tech that it has actually gated to other events and you were not supposed to get it from whatever you were doing in the first place. I've had plenty of such messages, but I have eventually gotten the same techs from other sources.
SG-17
Member
(08-17-2016, 01:23 PM)
SG-17's Avatar

Originally Posted by StratosGK

I don't like plasma beam! Photon Cannon is pretty much all i need!

You can't delete default technology, can you?
DiabloTheGrey
Member
(08-17-2016, 01:25 PM)
DiabloTheGrey's Avatar

Originally Posted by Baalzebup

More like a glitch with the game trying to give you tech that it has actually gated to other events and you were not supposed to get it from whatever you were doing in the first place. I've had plenty of such messages, but I have eventually gotten the same techs from other sources.

Ah, that's a bummer. Well, I guess I can at least look forward to getting it eventually.
StratosGK
Member
(08-17-2016, 01:27 PM)
StratosGK's Avatar

Originally Posted by SG-17

You can't delete default technology, can you?

Plasma Beam isn't default. Only Photon Cannon can't be deleted! Try it and see for yourself.
Spyware
Member
(08-17-2016, 01:33 PM)
My goal today is to get through the two last milestones for Extreme Survival so I can finally leave my current planet. It's only my third system and I'm itching to explore more.
Ryo Hazuki
Member
(08-17-2016, 01:35 PM)
Ryo Hazuki's Avatar
How do you find a specific system for a species? Like a Gek system? Is this information labelled on the star map or is it by chance?
panty
Member
(08-17-2016, 01:36 PM)
panty's Avatar
I've changed ships a few times. Haven't duped. Bought a 26 slot, then found 27, 28 and now 29. I like changing and repairing them.

Now, where the fuck can I find copper? I've been flying in space and shooting at asteroids but all I get is nickel.
Dredd97
Member
(08-17-2016, 01:39 PM)
Dredd97's Avatar

Originally Posted by panty

I've changed ships a few times. Haven't duped. Bought a 26 slot, then found 27, 28 and now 29. I like changing and repairing them.

Now, where the fuck can I find copper? I've been flying in space and shooting at asteroids but all I get is nickel.

I've found that the really big asteroidss are copper...(but some are nickel too!)
noomi
Member
(08-17-2016, 01:42 PM)
noomi's Avatar

Originally Posted by Camp Freddie

The Gek towers are bugged and it apparently lets you use the same tower as many times as you want.

On non-Gek planets, you need to:
Activate a beacon, ask for a transmission tower, go to the tower, activate it, go to the ship, repair it, find a beacon, repeat from start.

Originally Posted by StratosGK

As soon as i read that you can enable the Gek Transmission Towers more than once, i fired up the game and from a 38 slot ship i got a 48 in less than an hour!

When my search for the 48 slot started i was anxius because i wanted to find a good looking one fast and this is the first one i found:



I loved it!
I need to upgrade the Hyperdrive now, but this is in general how i manage my slots:

Sorry to bother guys, but I just want to be sure I understand this correctly.

Step 1: Be on Gek Planet
Step 2: Find the Orange Light thingy
Step 3: Search for Transmission
Step 4a: To go Transmission & solve puzzle (this is what I am unclear about)
Step 4b: The puzzle reward should be a crashed ship waypoint? If it isn't just keep doing it over and over until a crashed ship waypoint shows up?
Step 4c: Keep solving puzzle until you have a bunch of crashed ship waypoints.
Step 5: Go to crashed ship waypoints and keep upgrading until 48 slot ship happens?

The only other question I have is, what about all the other non crashed ship waypoints I get. Will they just sit on my screen as waypoints forever, until I physically go them them to clear it?
venomenon
Member
(08-17-2016, 01:42 PM)
venomenon's Avatar

Originally Posted by panty

Now, where the fuck can I find copper? I've been flying in space and shooting at asteroids but all I get is nickel.

Just keep shooting the larger asteroids, those that aren't destroyed in one hit. They might give you copper, nickel, even iridium and probably more. I think some vendors might sell copper as well, but not in huge quantities.

You might want to try different star systems too. I have only found one where the asteroids gave me iridium, for example.
F-Pina
Member
(08-17-2016, 01:43 PM)
F-Pina's Avatar
So this happened and it was cool and sad at the same time.

I parked my ship to mine some minerals and notice there is a heard of animals walking around. I scan sone of them just for kicks and notice that a big large weird dinossaur looking one is running around in circles. I thought it might be a glitch or something and went in closer to investigate. The big guy stopped circling and came straight at me and attacked. It was also screaming which added to the weirdness of it all. My instant reaction was to shoot back before it got another chance to atrack so I killed it.
Still thinking it was a glitch I moved a bit further to check where it was circling around and... shit... It was a cub... dead. It was protecting its dead baby.
Felt really sad. It was a cool thing, but also sad.

Awesome shit you got here Sean, please keep working on it because there is definitely something here.
FHIZ
Member
(08-17-2016, 01:46 PM)
FHIZ's Avatar

Originally Posted by venomenon

Umm, shit. You're not supposed to just follow the path?
Last task I was given was to build a warp drive (the one that takes 600 nickel, if I'm not mistaken), which I did after taking my time and jumping a couple of systems in the process. I was about to follow the path now until I get a new task. I'm in my 12th system now, I think...

Apparently. I had been following the path for a bit and thought "man, nothing has happened" and then looked at the star map and saw some Atlas objective waypoint over my original star system.
panty
Member
(08-17-2016, 01:48 PM)
panty's Avatar
I stopped when I had 1500 nickel but I guess I'll just blast asteroids some more.
Proteus
BOSS
(08-17-2016, 01:51 PM)
Proteus's Avatar
I need to haul ass back to a Gek system. They have always been good to me.
StratosGK
Member
(08-17-2016, 01:52 PM)
StratosGK's Avatar

Originally Posted by noomi

Sorry to bother guys, but I just want to be sure I understand this correctly.

Step 1: Be on Gek Planet
Step 2: Find the Orange Light thingy
Step 3: Search for Transmission
Step 4a: To go Transmission & solve puzzle (this is what I am unclear about)
Step 4b: The puzzle reward should be a crashed ship waypoint? If it isn't just keep doing it over and over until a crashed ship waypoint shows up?
Step 4c: Keep solving puzzle until you have a bunch of crashed ship waypoints.
Step 5: Go to crashed ship waypoints and keep upgrading until 48 slot ship happens?

The only other question I have is, what about all the other non crashed ship waypoints I get. Will they just sit on my screen as waypoints forever, until I physically go them them to clear it?

The first 3 steps can be skipped. Just travel with your ship close to the ground and watch for a Transimission Tower. Because that Orange Light thingy as you say, can send you to a beacon or an observatory too and i hate it when my screen is full of landmarks i don't want to visit.

There are 2 kinds of Shelters as far as i know. It's the Observatory and the Transmission.

An Observatory:

A Transmission:

You need to find a Transmission tower.
Solve the puzzle 5-6 times so you get the Crash Site landmarks and then go to them. After that repeat the process until you get a 48 slot ship.
Smiles and Cries
back to my old
nipples and tits
(08-17-2016, 01:53 PM)
Smiles and Cries's Avatar

Originally Posted by Conkerkid11

What did you upgrade from though? That doesn't sound worth it.

I had a 33 slots ship
not really worth it, but since the slots make duping got faster I got back up to 55M in a few hours so I might buy a 48 slots again when I find a ship design I like

last night I got the 48 slot ship for 66M used the extra slots to dupe my inventory to sell watched a movie while doing this and was back up to 55M when I turned the game off

I must have wasted 300M credits on stuff but my exosuit also has 48 slots now so I am pretty much done with what I can spend on upgrades

Originally Posted by BizzyBum

Was that the price with an empty inventory? I heard the less you have on you the cheaper the price.

I guess its my inventory then because I aways keep it half full with slots of 500s so I had like 10 slots of 500 I forgot the name of what I was selling but it was selling at 308 per unit

Originally Posted by ryan299

How'd you get that much?

duping there is not really much I like to do in this game so I just wanted to upgrade to max and wait and see what features the developer adds in the future
Baalzebup
Member
(08-17-2016, 01:53 PM)
Baalzebup's Avatar

Originally Posted by panty

I stopped when I had 1500 nickel but I guess I'll just blast asteroids some more.

Quite a few planets will have copper, as it is a relatively common element. The most usual form it takes are these dark bronze colored, giant-ass egg-shapes floating above the ground. Once you've seen them, take heed of the color, because it can also show up in various pillar or mound formations, though those are more rare.

Thread Tools