• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF
  • Like

RS4-
Member
(09-14-2016, 02:37 AM)
RS4-'s Avatar

Originally Posted by TheVisualizer

It never is

I fucking bought it anyway and I already regret it.

Installing now. Lol 4GB patch
Revenant
Patrick Kane @ St Patty's Day
(09-14-2016, 03:11 AM)
Revenant's Avatar
hope to be on in an hour. PSN downloads are ABYSMAL how is this even possible.
TheVisualizer
Member
(09-14-2016, 03:13 AM)
TheVisualizer's Avatar

Originally Posted by RS4-

I fucking bought it anyway and I already regret it.

Installing now. Lol 4GB patch

Originally Posted by Revenant

hope to be on in an hour. PSN downloads are ABYSMAL how is this even possible.

Just join Stat's party when you are ready to play
RS4-
Member
(09-14-2016, 04:11 AM)
RS4-'s Avatar
Lol there's a ping menu now. Only took a few years. I appreciate the extra menus and stats...but like usual, they take ages to get through.
Revenant
Patrick Kane @ St Patty's Day
(09-14-2016, 04:17 AM)
Revenant's Avatar
50 minutes..sooo close, yet so far.
ph33nix
MWO
(09-14-2016, 05:21 AM)
ph33nix's Avatar
I'm guessing yall are done for tonight? I'm going to hop on some pick ups in the meantime
RS4-
Member
(09-14-2016, 01:51 PM)
RS4-'s Avatar
Only natural that the servers are down or some shit.
Delryk
Member
(09-14-2016, 03:25 PM)
Delryk's Avatar
Last few games last night had huge lag spikes.. hopefully that gets settled
Revenant
Patrick Kane @ St Patty's Day
(09-14-2016, 07:23 PM)
Revenant's Avatar
Should be good to go tonight around 8-830 central
Stat!
Member
(09-14-2016, 07:42 PM)
Stat!'s Avatar

Originally Posted by Revenant

Should be good to go tonight around 8-830 central

I'll be tonight as well.
Delryk
Member
(09-14-2016, 09:50 PM)
Delryk's Avatar
Will be there.. watching worlds right now :)
Delryk
Member
(09-14-2016, 09:57 PM)
Delryk's Avatar

Originally Posted by Revenant

hope to be on in an hour. PSN downloads are ABYSMAL how is this even possible.

Your ISP or because you're using wireless on ps4? The day I plugged in a cable in my ps4 was the day i got 100 down from psn.. so i kept my cable.. :/ else i have probs hitting 5 down..
TheVisualizer
Member
(09-14-2016, 11:40 PM)
TheVisualizer's Avatar
Good info about the new net battles and extended stick lifts

https://cheltips.com/nhl-17-net-fron...lift-tutorial/
Delryk
Member
(09-15-2016, 01:26 AM)
Delryk's Avatar
Rdy whenever
RS4-
Member
(09-15-2016, 02:09 AM)
RS4-'s Avatar
I can get on whenever too
TheVisualizer
Member
(09-15-2016, 02:48 AM)
TheVisualizer's Avatar

Originally Posted by RS4-

I can get on whenever too

We are on and playing
ph33nix
MWO
(09-15-2016, 02:50 AM)
ph33nix's Avatar
I'd like to squeeze ONE game in if that's cool with you guys? I would be on more often later tonight but I'm guessing you guys won't be. If you have room for me for one, shoot me a message on PSN?
TheVisualizer
Member
(09-15-2016, 03:01 AM)
TheVisualizer's Avatar

Originally Posted by ph33nix

I'd like to squeeze ONE game in if that's cool with you guys? I would be on more often later tonight but I'm guessing you guys won't be. If you have room for me for one, shoot me a message on PSN?

I should be on later tonight, not sure about anyone else
Square Triangle
Kratos can kill Zeus
but not Pam Anderson?
(09-15-2016, 03:11 AM)
Square Triangle's Avatar
What time do you guys usually play? I'm Est (Michigan)
TheVisualizer
Member
(09-15-2016, 03:32 AM)
TheVisualizer's Avatar

Originally Posted by Square Triangle

What time do you guys usually play? I'm Est (Michigan)

Usually between 8pm-11pm est
RS4-
Member
(09-15-2016, 03:53 AM)
RS4-'s Avatar
This quebec team is moving awfully fast
TheVisualizer
Member
(09-15-2016, 05:54 AM)
TheVisualizer's Avatar

Originally Posted by RS4-

This quebec team is moving awfully fast

They were pretty good and also got a lot of breaks and we were pretty shitty that game

Great defense all night as usual Dok, you kept us in all of those games where our offense was not able to do anything
ph33nix
MWO
(09-15-2016, 05:55 AM)
ph33nix's Avatar
Did I just show up again as the party ended lol :(
TheVisualizer
Member
(09-15-2016, 06:28 AM)
TheVisualizer's Avatar

Originally Posted by ph33nix

Did I just show up again as the party ended lol :(

If you wanna play i can hop back on
ph33nix
MWO
(09-15-2016, 06:31 AM)
ph33nix's Avatar

Originally Posted by TheVisualizer

If you wanna play i can hop back on

I'm in an MLB game that will finish in 10-15, I'd be down for a game or two
RS4-
Member
(09-15-2016, 01:12 PM)
RS4-'s Avatar

Originally Posted by TheVisualizer

They were pretty good and also got a lot of breaks and we were pretty shitty that game

Great defense all night as usual Dok, you kept us in all of those games where our offense was not able to do anything

GGs last night. We did well in all of them but thr Quebec one. That one was just...lol.

Anyway, we all did some good team work and pick up on blown coverage. A little early but progress like usual.
Stat!
Member
(09-15-2016, 07:41 PM)
Stat!'s Avatar
Some great games last night. Im anxiously waiting/hoping Vis uploads a few highlights cause we had some crazy sick goals last night.
TheVisualizer
Member
(09-15-2016, 11:17 PM)
TheVisualizer's Avatar

Originally Posted by Stat!

Some great games last night. Im anxiously waiting/hoping Vis uploads a few highlights cause we had some crazy sick goals last night.

Viz and Stat Score A Weird Goal
Opposing Team Scores on Themselves
Ghost Bear Viz with OT GWG
A Goal Review Finally Goes Our Way!
Stat!
Member
(09-16-2016, 12:30 AM)
Stat!'s Avatar
Damn, some awesome stuff last night. Up for games tonight anyone?
Delryk
Member
(09-16-2016, 01:00 AM)
Delryk's Avatar
Rdy whenever
TheVisualizer
Member
(09-16-2016, 01:25 AM)
TheVisualizer's Avatar

Originally Posted by Delryk

Rdy whenever

Getting dinner now should be ready at 8
Stat!
Member
(09-16-2016, 02:08 AM)
Stat!'s Avatar
Its 8:08 Vis. My god.
RS4-
Member
(09-16-2016, 02:24 AM)
RS4-'s Avatar
YOu guys on?

This fucking mic
TheVisualizer
Member
(09-16-2016, 05:33 AM)
TheVisualizer's Avatar
ggs tonight

We only lost that one where the team won in OT after being down 2 goals with 20 seconds left. Everybody fucked up their defensive responsibilities at the end of the game on those 3 goals after we were a fortress on D all night long.

We are ranked 153 overall out of 6000+ clubs right now.

Edit: here are the highlights I grabbed from tonight

Stat Undresses A Poor Goalie
Delryk Backs Dat Ass Up
Delryk Makes Something Out of Nothing
unpurposed
Member
(09-16-2016, 06:50 AM)
So just picked this game up. Haven't played since NHL 2004 but id love to join up if y'all are playing

unpurposed on ps4
RS4-
Member
(09-16-2016, 01:56 PM)
RS4-'s Avatar
Rather shit way to end the night. aside from that, solid work.

Who was that that wanted to take the point on pp? Stat? How do you want to do this? We win the draw on the left circle, LW rotates to you, I take his spot, you drop down?
Stat!
Member
(09-16-2016, 03:15 PM)
Stat!'s Avatar

Originally Posted by unpurposed

So just picked this game up. Haven't played since NHL 2004 but id love to join up if y'all are playing

unpurposed on ps4

Hey man, the game has changed a ton since 2004. There is a steep learning curve with the skill stick.

We sort of agreed as a group that we aren't going to be taking anyone completely new to the game on as we are a competitive casual team who plays against top teams.

Truthfully, I would recommend trying the game out, maybe playing some drop-ins to get a feel for all of the controls and moves you can pull. It'll be less frustrating than with us since the opposing teams we play will be quite good.

Originally Posted by RS4-

Rather shit way to end the night. aside from that, solid work.

Who was that that wanted to take the point on pp? Stat? How do you want to do this? We win the draw on the left circle, LW rotates to you, I take his spot, you drop down?

I wanted to take the point. From a pure attribute point of view, I have a great shot as a sniper. Its why I wanted Delryk in front of the net. He's way more likely to be more successfully at net battles and deflections than I am who can barely even evade once he gets locked up.

But I also don't mind working the boards either.
TheVisualizer
Member
(09-16-2016, 05:53 PM)
TheVisualizer's Avatar
Stat, in the future if you wanna make that switch out to the boards on the powerplay I think it only really works if you change places with whatever winger is positioned on the inside on the faceoff. This allows the outside winger to remain available as a pass option for the defense.

Obviously if we are bringing it in from a rush then you and whoever is best for playing in front of the net can organize better. In both of these cases you will need to give very simple and clear instructions when you want to make this switch so the wingers understand where to go until everyone has done this enough to know what's expected of them

Speaking of powerplays I mentioned the other day that we really need to do better taking advantage of these this year. If the puck is cleared we need to move down below the center line and regroup then enter as a team. For entry one of the wing players needw to enter with a lot of speed then driving all the way up the wall and dropping back to the D (preferrably me) to get us started.

Too many times we rush to reenter the offensive zone and enter with not enough numbers or the wrong person enters (me) and pushes the puck up the wall then gets stuck in a position where they cant help as much.

The 2 things id really like to see us try and implement this year to show growth that are doable are:
1- a consistent strategy on the powerplay (outlined above)
2- usage of that weaving cross play on 2 v 2 offensive rushes. Ill record examples of the "cross play" in practice mode this weekend and post it here so you guys can better understand how to do it properly and why its so good
unpurposed
Member
(09-16-2016, 09:50 PM)

Originally Posted by Stat!

Hey man, the game has changed a ton since 2004. There is a steep learning curve with the skill stick.

We sort of agreed as a group that we aren't going to be taking anyone completely new to the game on as we are a competitive casual team who plays against top teams.

Truthfully, I would recommend trying the game out, maybe playing some drop-ins to get a feel for all of the controls and moves you can pull. It'll be less frustrating than with us since the opposing teams we play will be quite good.

Thanks man! I appreciate the candor. I've been mostly playing Be a Pro and a lot of games against the AI, but still having some issues.

I'd love to get up to speed with the game - what would y'all suggest as the best way of learning the game? Honestly, it's been a little difficult knowing what I have to focus on and Youtube videos seem to leave out the basics.

Again, thanks for your help :)
TheVisualizer
Member
(09-16-2016, 10:27 PM)
TheVisualizer's Avatar

Originally Posted by unpurposed

Thanks man! I appreciate the candor. I've been mostly playing Be a Pro and a lot of games against the AI, but still having some issues.

I'd love to get up to speed with the game - what would y'all suggest as the best way of learning the game? Honestly, it's been a little difficult knowing what I have to focus on and Youtube videos seem to leave out the basics.

Again, thanks for your help :)

First off, make sure you are not playing from one of the default close cameras for BAP/EASHL. Use one of the VS mode cameras. Most of us use Classic or Overhead. Dynamic High works as well but the tilting gets annoying.

As someone relearning the game try to stick with one position. Id recommend one of the wings to start out as the easiest transition. Make sure the Skills Trainer is turned on which should give you ideas for good passing options and defensive positioning. Once you get comfortable with most of the controls and movement try the Drop-In Game mode in EASHL to see how you fare against online competition

OFFENSE
-practice holding the right stick left or right out to either side when you are skating around with the puck near a defender to ensure you are properly protecting it so its not as easy to pokecheck you and take the puck away. This can help draw a lot of penalties too
-try using R1 to saucer pass here and there to be able to manually aim your passes, this is helpful when a passing lane may be blocked but you can bank a pass off the boards or thru a tight window to a teammate
-get used to passing the puck before you get cornered/closed down when you dont have a great shooting option. As a winger you want to look towards the middle first (but dont force passes across the crease every time) then down to the dmen and if all else fails pass it up around behind the net to keep it in the offensive zone. You have to make good quick decisions in EASHL and trust your teammates. Holding onto the puck too long and trying to play hero rarely works
-ultimately a wingers job is to score so try to get good shots off whenever you can. Even if they dont go in you can force rebounds with shots aimed low

DEFENSE
-condition yourself not to try to body check puckhandlers as much unless they are standing still near the boards
-instead rely on R1 to poke check them to bother them or take the puck away. You need to make sure you keep some distance between you and the defender when you do this or you will end up with a lot of tripping penalties. Dont ever use this from behind a puckcarrier either or its a instant tripping penalty
-when you are really close to a moving defender either body check them to give them a slight push or dont press any buttons at all and just attempt to mirror their movements while shading them towards their forehand side. You can get the puck to come free if it happens to hit your skates
-on defense as a winger your job is to get back and try to prevent the offense from passing to the defensemen while also being a nuisance. Its ok to be aggressive and chase puckhandlers down along the boards or to help out in the middle if someone is trying to get a shot off from the high slot

OFFENSE OFF THE PUCK
-make sure you always watching the puck, if your team forces a turnover in the defensive zone start moving up the ice along your wall to give them a long outlet pass option
-if your team gets the puck in the zone constantly readjust your position to try to give whoever has the puck an open lane to pass the puck
Marvie_3
Banned
(09-16-2016, 10:33 PM)
Marvie_3's Avatar
Need some diagrams in here, coach viz.
TheVisualizer
Member
(09-16-2016, 10:44 PM)
TheVisualizer's Avatar

Originally Posted by Marvie_3

Need some diagrams in here, coach viz.

Hi former coach Marv

How goes GAFs Xbox One clubbing?
Marvie_3
Banned
(09-17-2016, 12:13 AM)
Marvie_3's Avatar

Originally Posted by TheVisualizer

Hi former coach Marv

How goes GAFs Xbox One clubbing?

Me and Noz are doing just fine, as I showed you in that PM.
unpurposed
Member
(09-17-2016, 02:37 AM)

Originally Posted by TheVisualizer

First off, make sure you are not playing from one of the default close cameras for BAP/EASHL. Use one of the VS mode cameras. Most of us use Classic or Overhead. Dynamic High works as well but the tilting gets annoying.

As someone relearning the game try to stick with one position. Id recommend one of the wings to start out as the easiest transition. Make sure the Skills Trainer is turned on which should give you ideas for good passing options and defensive positioning. Once you get comfortable with most of the controls and movement try the Drop-In Game mode in EASHL to see how you fare against online competition

OFFENSE
-practice holding the right stick left or right out to either side when you are skating around with the puck near a defender to ensure you are properly protecting it so its not as easy to pokecheck you and take the puck away. This can help draw a lot of penalties too
-try using R1 to saucer pass here and there to be able to manually aim your passes, this is helpful when a passing lane may be blocked but you can bank a pass off the boards or thru a tight window to a teammate
-get used to passing the puck before you get cornered/closed down when you dont have a great shooting option. As a winger you want to look towards the middle first (but dont force passes across the crease every time) then down to the dmen and if all else fails pass it up around behind the net to keep it in the offensive zone. You have to make good quick decisions in EASHL and trust your teammates. Holding onto the puck too long and trying to play hero rarely works
-ultimately a wingers job is to score so try to get good shots off whenever you can. Even if they dont go in you can force rebounds with shots aimed low

DEFENSE
-condition yourself not to try to body check puckhandlers as much unless they are standing still near the boards
-instead rely on R1 to poke check them to bother them or take the puck away. You need to make sure you keep some distance between you and the defender when you do this or you will end up with a lot of tripping penalties. Dont ever use this from behind a puckcarrier either or its a instant tripping penalty
-when you are really close to a moving defender either body check them to give them a slight push or dont press any buttons at all and just attempt to mirror their movements while shading them towards their forehand side. You can get the puck to come free if it happens to hit your skates
-on defense as a winger your job is to get back and try to prevent the offense from passing to the defensemen while also being a nuisance. Its ok to be aggressive and chase puckhandlers down along the boards or to help out in the middle if someone is trying to get a shot off from the high slot

OFFENSE OFF THE PUCK
-make sure you always watching the puck, if your team forces a turnover in the defensive zone start moving up the ice along your wall to give them a long outlet pass option
-if your team gets the puck in the zone constantly readjust your position to try to give whoever has the puck an open lane to pass the puck

This is super useful! Thanks so much, gonna get on this immediately :)
Stat!
Member
(09-18-2016, 12:57 AM)
Stat!'s Avatar
Anyone up for some games tonight?
TheVisualizer
Member
(09-18-2016, 12:59 AM)
TheVisualizer's Avatar

Originally Posted by Stat!

Anyone up for some games tonight?

I can play after 8pm
Stat!
Member
(09-18-2016, 01:15 AM)
Stat!'s Avatar

Originally Posted by TheVisualizer

I can play after 8pm

See you then!
RS4-
Member
(09-18-2016, 01:39 AM)
RS4-'s Avatar
Same

edit - fuck that game we lost 1-0, my fault lol. I peeled off when they dumped in with two and I let the ai go alone in the boards

GGs! Lol that OT winner.
Stat!
Member
(09-18-2016, 05:39 PM)
Stat!'s Avatar

Originally Posted by RS4-

Same

edit - fuck that game we lost 1-0, my fault lol. I peeled off when they dumped in with two and I let the ai go alone in the boards

GGs! Lol that OT winner.

Dude, you were a rock last night. You played unreal. Not your fault we lost 1-0 when we didn't score anyways.
Stat!
Member
(09-18-2016, 09:01 PM)
Stat!'s Avatar
Sunday afternoon games?

Thread Tools