• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF
  • Like

Zackat
Member
(03-21-2017, 05:40 AM)
Zackat's Avatar

Originally Posted by Xeteh

So I haven't played SFV in forever but I'm really enjoying messing around with Kolin... I can totally see me being terrible with her but she seems fun.

yeah I haven't played for a while either and I suck ass again. oh well, learning.

Originally Posted by FluxWaveZ

Just faced Smug online in Ranked. It ended 2-1 for him. That was amazing; it's so obvious how facing players of that caliber on a regular basis would level a player up significantly.

should try and travel some flux, I bet you'd learn a lot and do pretty well yourself.
Xeteh
Member
(03-21-2017, 05:41 AM)
Xeteh's Avatar

Originally Posted by Zackat

yeah I haven't played for a while either and I suck ass again. oh well, learning.

Oh, I was garbage in the first place. I'm just more garbage now. Garbage Squared.
Femto.
Member
(03-21-2017, 05:48 AM)
Femto.'s Avatar

Originally Posted by Duress

YOU TAUNT ME AND I BEAT YOU! YOU HAVE THE AUDACITY TO REMATCH ME? FUCK YOU.

mbpm1
Member
(03-21-2017, 06:10 AM)
mbpm1's Avatar

Originally Posted by Duress

YOU TAUNT ME AND I BEAT YOU! YOU HAVE THE AUDACITY TO REMATCH ME? FUCK YOU.

someone taunted me today with ryu while i was down to pixel life

"make your move!"

he then walked forward and immediately ate a crush counter > v-trigger > CA and lost like 60% health.

I still lost but it was funny
Village
Member
(03-21-2017, 08:38 AM)
Village's Avatar

Had the Five Nights at Freddies Glitch happen to me , after a prematch load diconnect
FluxWaveZ
Member
(03-21-2017, 10:22 AM)
FluxWaveZ's Avatar

Originally Posted by Zackat

should try and travel some flux, I bet you'd learn a lot and do pretty well yourself.

Unfortunately not too easy for me to do, but I'll try to at least go to Toronto this year for stuff like Toryuken and Canada Cup.
Spuck-uk
Member
(03-21-2017, 11:11 AM)
Spuck-uk's Avatar

Originally Posted by Ryce

What's more likely...

A. The Street Fighter series doesn't have a set timeframe (like the overwhelming majority of similar media franchises)

Or

B. Street Fighter IV takes place during 1994 because you say so without proof and the characters use laptops and modern cellphones in 1994 because "lol it's fiction you guys"

?

C. Who really gives enough of a damn about Capcoms bad writing to care?
CountBlack
(03-21-2017, 01:11 PM)
CountBlack's Avatar

Originally Posted by FluxWaveZ

Unfortunately not too easy for me to do, but I'll try to at least go to Toronto this year for stuff like Toryuken and Canada Cup.

you better carry me in the team tournaments if you coming up b

shit me and vulva. were a 2 man package
Huw_Dawson
Member
(03-21-2017, 01:31 PM)
Huw_Dawson's Avatar
I think SFV takes place in a futuristic version of the 90's - that's the best way of looking at it.

It doesn't matter a huge deal. The only interesting bits of the lore are the bits built up around certain characters. The setting is a generic and boring thing, which is why it makes no sense to waste huge piles of cash making a story mode. (In contrast, MK has a well-defined setting, so its story modes are more interesting.

BTW if folks care, I am running a livestream tonight my time on the topic of 'How to Lose to Ghandi' - or really about learning to adapt to opponents. Very difficult skill and something I am deficient at compared to most tournament players, so I want to explore getting better at it.

Should be on Beam, rather than Twitch.
Last edited by Huw_Dawson; 03-21-2017 at 01:36 PM.
mnz
Member
(03-21-2017, 01:35 PM)
The SFV story mode changed my whole perspective on that stuff. It's better to not shine a light on it and try to see it as this coherent linear story. Because then it's pretty obviously just random garbage.
Huw_Dawson
Member
(03-21-2017, 01:41 PM)
Huw_Dawson's Avatar
The SFV story mode is frustrating because it is cliche and badly made.

The genuinely interesting bits of it dealt with emotion. Cammy talking with Chun. Rashid dealing with his friend's ultimately suicidal plan to foil Shadowloo.

The MOST OBVIOUS scene, of Guile meeting Nash and learning to let his friend's memory go so he can move on, is not in the story for no reason I can see.

Instead the story fumbles around with a cliche plot that has a number of absolutely baffling decisions. Bison dies at the end because of reasons. Ryu saves the day because of reasons. Lots of time is wasted on absolutely irrelevant nonsense.

The story mode should have been scrapped when Capcom recognised how high risk it was, or when the script came back as a cliche'd mess.
sixteen-bit
Member
(03-21-2017, 01:48 PM)
sixteen-bit's Avatar
anyone got a link to that Mei Kolin mod btw?
Ucchedavāda
Member
(03-21-2017, 01:51 PM)
Ucchedavāda's Avatar

Originally Posted by Huw_Dawson

BTW if folks care, I am running a livestream tonight my time on the topic of 'How to Lose to Ghandi' - or really about learning to adapt to opponents. Very difficult skill and something I am deficient at compared to most tournament players, so I want to explore getting better at it.

Should be on Beam, rather than Twitch.

That sounds really interesting.
Unfortunately I won't be able to watch live, since I am attending a concert tonight, but I'll try to catch the VOD.


EDIT: I actually liked the story because it was such a cliched mess, but I also enjoy watching bad movies.
Huw_Dawson
Member
(03-21-2017, 02:00 PM)
Huw_Dawson's Avatar

Originally Posted by Ucchedavāda

That sounds really interesting.
Unfortunately I won't be able to watch live, since I am attending a concert tonight, but I'll try to catch the VOD.


EDIT: I actually liked the story because it was such a cliched mess, but I also enjoy watching bad movies.

Yeah a lot of folks seem to have issues with watching live. I need to archive stuff on Youtube more...

It is not as if SFV is a bad movie though, it is actually deficient as a storytelling exercise. Doing a VN ala GG/BB would have been both cheaper and better!

It reminds me of SCV's story mode, except SFV attempts to use the entire Season 1 cast.
Pompadour
Member
(03-21-2017, 02:05 PM)
Pompadour's Avatar

Originally Posted by mnz

The SFV story mode changed my whole perspective on that stuff. It's better to not shine a light on it and try to see it as this coherent linear story. Because then it's pretty obviously just random garbage.

I've​ said this before but Street Fighter's lore seemed much more interesting than it actually is because everything was so vague and most of that information was gleaned from win quotes and a few sentences in characters' endings. And then filter that through a translation that may not be that accurate to begin with.

What people imagine is much more interesting than whatever Capcom could come up with. Take a look at Q. I love the character but his entire appeal is that he's a complete unknown. Delve into his back story and all he is a really shitty version of Balrog (with way better animations, granted).

The SFV story mode was about what I expected as the Alpha endings always made Street Fighter feel like G.I. Joe with a diverse group of heroes raiding the evil organization's base and blowing it up. But even by shitty anime standards it fell flat. Nash sacrificed himself by blowing up him and Bison but Bison doesn't have a scratch on him despite their being a battle damaged Bison costume already in the game! And Guile, whose whole story is "must find Nash", doesn't really give a shit he's dead again. As cliche as it is, they should have had him yell "CHARLIEEEEE!" while attacking Bison in a rage
LakeEarth
Member
(03-21-2017, 02:21 PM)
LakeEarth's Avatar
The Nash 'sacrifice' is clearly the greatest sin in the story mode, just garbage story telling. Not quite as bad (but worth mentioning) is how Necalli does NOTHING the whole story mode, except for getting owned. He think he just beats Ryu in the first fight. After that, it's just a string of losses for the rest of the story. I thought he was supposed to be something special!?
Scotia
Member
(03-21-2017, 02:24 PM)
Scotia's Avatar
I enjoyed story mode for what it was but there were so many missed opportunities for some awesome moments and to resolve some hanging story threads that it really dampened my overall enjoyment of it.

That being said, I'd rather they just kept to the classic arcade mode endings from now on.
mnz
Member
(03-21-2017, 02:28 PM)
I think they should never make something like that again. Either have it be vastly different, like Asura's Wrath or something similar, or don't do it at all. Invest the money in real cutscenes for an arcade mode maybe, but not this.
mbpm1
Member
(03-21-2017, 02:29 PM)
mbpm1's Avatar

Originally Posted by LakeEarth

The Nash 'sacrifice' is clearly the greatest sin in the story mode, just garbage story telling. Not quite as bad (but worth mentioning) is how Necalli does NOTHING the whole story mode, except for getting owned. He think he just beats Ryu in the first fight. After that, it's just a string of losses for the rest of the story. I thought he was supposed to be something special!?

Born jobbers
sixteen-bit
Member
(03-21-2017, 02:35 PM)
sixteen-bit's Avatar
I'm still surprised Mike Ross and Gootecks didn't do a Let's Play of the story mode like they did with MKX.
XenoRaven
Member
(03-21-2017, 02:36 PM)
XenoRaven's Avatar

Originally Posted by Huw_Dawson

The SFV story mode is frustrating because it is cliche and badly made.

The genuinely interesting bits of it dealt with emotion. Cammy talking with Chun. Rashid dealing with his friend's ultimately suicidal plan to foil Shadowloo.

The MOST OBVIOUS scene, of Guile meeting Nash and learning to let his friend's memory go so he can move on, is not in the story for no reason I can see.

Instead the story fumbles around with a cliche plot that has a number of absolutely baffling decisions. Bison dies at the end because of reasons. Ryu saves the day because of reasons. Lots of time is wasted on absolutely irrelevant nonsense.

The story mode should have been scrapped when Capcom recognised how high risk it was, or when the script came back as a cliche'd mess.

I'm a fanboy so don't listen to me but I actually get the impression they went out of their way to make Chun look like shit.
Pompadour
Member
(03-21-2017, 02:45 PM)
Pompadour's Avatar

Originally Posted by mnz

I think they should never make something like that again. Either have it be vastly different, like Asura's Wrath or something similar, or don't do it at all. Invest the money in real cutscenes for an arcade mode maybe, but not this.

Yeah, an arcade mode with lots of bells and whistles would be preferable. Something with replayability but with more presentation than a series of fights with a character intro and ending.

MKX's story mode is definitely the best of that particular type of story mode but that's like saying it's the most polished turd. It felt like a really long CW show with a weird focus on interdimensional politics. What makes it better than the SFV one is purely from budget. It had locales and props in scenes not found in regular gameplay which made it seem more professional. SFV was mostly characters in the game talking in the stages you fight on aside from a handful.

I'll never play either story mode again so they're both effectively worthless.
Bigg_Oggy
Member
(03-21-2017, 03:35 PM)
Bigg_Oggy's Avatar

Originally Posted by XenoRaven

I'm a fanboy so don't listen to me but I actually get the impression they went out of their way to make Chun look like shit.

Doesn't she lose all but one match? Girl was having an off day.
mbpm1
Member
(03-21-2017, 03:39 PM)
mbpm1's Avatar

Originally Posted by Bigg_Oggy

Doesn't she lose all but one match? Girl was having an off day.

season 2 preview
sixteen-bit
Member
(03-21-2017, 03:50 PM)
sixteen-bit's Avatar

Originally Posted by mbpm1

season 2 preview

Ricki's struggle
XenoRaven
Member
(03-21-2017, 04:24 PM)
XenoRaven's Avatar

Originally Posted by Bigg_Oggy

Doesn't she lose all but one match? Girl was having an off day.

She beats FANG, who had already been in a fight with Rashid, and then was dragged off of a catwalk by one of the Dolls, and fell from a height that would normally be fatal.

She's also an Interpol agent who decided to take orders from some rich heiress instead of using her resources to organize an actual raid on the Shadaloo compound.

Thank god Ryu was there to save her from falling debris with his new magic Hadouken at the end.
Pompadour
Member
(03-21-2017, 04:30 PM)
Pompadour's Avatar

Originally Posted by XenoRaven

She beats FANG, who had already been in a fight with Rashid, and then was dragged off of a catwalk by one of the Dolls, and fell from a height that would normally be fatal.

She's also an Interpol agent who decided to take orders from some rich heiress instead of using her resources to organize an actual raid on the Shadaloo compound.

Thank god Ryu was there to save her from falling debris with his new magic Hadouken at the end.

Being the World's Strongest Woman = Dan tier
XenoRaven
Member
(03-21-2017, 04:39 PM)
XenoRaven's Avatar

Originally Posted by King Awesome

Being the World's Strongest Woman = Dan tier

I always liked to believe that she had as much potential as Ryu or Ken. But the current SF team seems to view her as the go to damsel in distress.

Cammy gets that too and I think it sucks that the two longest running and most recognizable female characters in the franchise are represented pretty poorly.
SixMachine
Member
(03-21-2017, 04:52 PM)
SixMachine's Avatar

Originally Posted by XenoRaven

Cammy gets that too and I think it sucks that the two longest running and most recognizable female characters in the franchise are represented pretty poorly.

Hilariously enough, I think the only characters that weren't handed L's were the younger females like Karin, Mika, and Ibuki (Dunno if Juri counts, because technically Bison took her eye right before SF5 starts). I think everyone else got beat at least once. Though I think Gief also bodied everyone he ran into also. Oh, I guess Urien and Alex didn't lose a fight but they literally had less than 3 minutes of screentime, even if you count their 1 match.
Last edited by SixMachine; 03-21-2017 at 04:55 PM.
TheSpoiler
Member
(03-21-2017, 04:57 PM)
TheSpoiler's Avatar
Chun really never had that many fights her whole SF career.

On the flipside, Ibuki and Mika were able to take on Rog, which is pretty damn good for both of them. Karin and Laura take on A listers like Ken, and Juri whoops a bunch of people too.

Cammy and Chun got a raw end of the deal.

Originally Posted by SixMachine

Hilariously enough, I think the only characters that weren't handed L's were the younger females like Karin, Mika, and Ibuki (Dunno if Juri counts, because technically Bison took her eye right before SF5 starts). I think everyone else got beat at least once. Though I think Gief also bodied everyone he ran into also. Oh, I guess Urien and Alex didn't lose a fight but they literally had less than 3 minutes of screentime, even if you count their 1 match.

Juri at least was able to make Vega leave and was clearly stronger than Rashid.
Last edited by TheSpoiler; 03-21-2017 at 04:59 PM.
mbpm1
Member
(03-21-2017, 05:08 PM)
mbpm1's Avatar

Originally Posted by SixMachine

Hilariously enough, I think the only characters that weren't handed L's were the younger females like Karin, Mika, and Ibuki

Thinking isn't going to get us anywhere.jpg
XenoRaven
Member
(03-21-2017, 05:10 PM)
XenoRaven's Avatar

Originally Posted by SixMachine

Hilariously enough, I think the only characters that weren't handed L's were the younger females like Karin, Mika, and Ibuki (Dunno if Juri counts, because technically Bison took her eye right before SF5 starts). I think everyone else got beat at least once. Though I think Gief also bodied everyone he ran into also. Oh, I guess Urien and Alex didn't lose a fight but they literally had less than 3 minutes of screentime, even if you count their 1 match.

Yeah. Honestly I don't think there's a lot to be happy about unless you're a big fan of the characters you mentioned. Especially Gief, who broke a katana with his pecs.

I'm not even looking for characters I like to never lose. It felt like they just shit on characters for no reason. The characters with actual goals or motivations had it the worst. Cammy wants to protect her sister, and it seemed like the only reason she was able to was because Juri and Vega didn't decide to just kill her. Nash blew himself up to kill Bison and it did nothing. Guile just sort of stood around a lot. Chun-Li comes face to face with the guy who killed her father and just says "eh I'll let Ryu do it".

Very few characters came out of story mode looking good. If they do something like this again I hope they fix it. People like characters that aren't Ryu. It's ok to give other fighters a spotlight.
Last edited by XenoRaven; 03-21-2017 at 05:13 PM.
TheSpoiler
Member
(03-21-2017, 05:15 PM)
TheSpoiler's Avatar
To be fair to Nash, his entire point was to nullify Bison's recent powerup. That's why they had that dumb scene with Abel where he absorbs his P. Power.

Of course, in true SFV fashion, they don't explain it well enough, but that was the intent.
SixMachine
Member
(03-21-2017, 05:16 PM)
SixMachine's Avatar

Originally Posted by TheSpoiler

Juri at least was able to make Vega leave and was clearly stronger than Rashid.

I just remembered she beats him twice. Funny thing is I think Vega fought Cammy twice and handed her L's both times because he has that creepy infatuation going on, and then Juri has to run interference on him. Usually people win the runback like Rashid vs. Fang and Ryu vs. Necalli but Cammy was denied that.
MCD250
Member
(03-21-2017, 05:23 PM)
Story mode was cool.
XenoRaven
Member
(03-21-2017, 05:25 PM)
XenoRaven's Avatar

Originally Posted by TheSpoiler

To be fair to Nash, his entire point was to nullify Bison's recent powerup. That's why they had that dumb scene with Abel where he absorbs his P. Power.

Of course, in true SFV fashion, they don't explain it well enough, but that was the intent.

That certainly would have made more sense if people with an actual grudge against Bison worked together to beat him as opposed to a dude who had nothing to do with the fight just stepping in and beating him with "good energy" or something.
SixMachine
Member
(03-21-2017, 05:29 PM)
SixMachine's Avatar

Originally Posted by XenoRaven

That certainly would have made more sense if people with an actual grudge against Bison worked together to beat him as opposed to a dude who had nothing to do with the fight just stepping in and beating him with "good energy" or something.

Everyone is basically Vegeta while Goku/Ryu beats Frieza/Bison. You would think getting the family and people killed from some despot would mean he would get comeuppance from one of the people he has wronged but nope, it's the karate hobo who loves to fight.
Bigg_Oggy
Member
(03-21-2017, 05:30 PM)
Bigg_Oggy's Avatar
There was supposed to be some tag match at the beginning of the story (I think between mika, laura, gief, and alex). I thought that was cool...but they never even get back to it. At that point I should've known story mode would have some disappointments along the way.
TheSpoiler
Member
(03-21-2017, 05:38 PM)
TheSpoiler's Avatar

Originally Posted by SixMachine

I just remembered she beats him twice. Funny thing is I think Vega fought Cammy twice and handed her L's both times because he has that creepy infatuation going on, and then Juri has to run interference on him. Usually people win the runback like Rashid vs. Fang and Ryu vs. Necalli but Cammy was denied that.

Cammy is in a weird spot. Like, she's supposed to be super strong, but she rarely gets to show that off. At least her longstanding rivalry with Vega has been a thing since Alpha, where he almost killed her there as well. But as a Bison Body, she should be better than him. I dunno.

Maybe we'll get some spinoff stories for closure.

Originally Posted by XenoRaven

That certainly would have made more sense if people with an actual grudge against Bison worked together to beat him as opposed to a dude who had nothing to do with the fight just stepping in and beating him with "good energy" or something.

Ryu is the only one around them that can do something besides maybe Ken. Chun almost died last time she fought Bison, Guile isn't anywhere near as strong as Nash, and the rest of the team is pretty weak. Smarter to let the dude who already handed Bison an L before do it again tbh.
lucebuce12
Member
(03-21-2017, 06:11 PM)
lucebuce12's Avatar
Props to TheSpoiler for taking my spot as top poster.

Finally, an SFV OT where I'm not the one with the most posts.
Kashiwaba
Member
(03-21-2017, 06:14 PM)
Kashiwaba's Avatar

Originally Posted by lucebuce12

Props to TheSpoiler for taking my spot as top poster.

Finally, an SFV OT where I'm not the one with the most posts.

You were left behind 😋
Have a Nice Day
Member
(03-21-2017, 06:15 PM)
Have a Nice Day's Avatar
Well, there it is.
Edzi
Member
(03-21-2017, 06:16 PM)
Edzi's Avatar
I think it's pretty obvious that the story mode we got wasn't what they originally wanted. If you look at the cinematic trailer, it implies that the final battle was going to be a fight between Nash + everyone else vs. Bison, where Nash and Bison finish each other off, all while Ryu was supposed to take on Necalli while being forced to confront the satsui no hado. Dunno what happened to the development, but they clearly just threw whatever they had together and called it a day.
Endless-Bravado
Member
(03-21-2017, 06:24 PM)
Endless-Bravado's Avatar

Originally Posted by Edzi

I think it's pretty obvious that the story mode we got wasn't what they originally wanted. If you look at the cinematic trailer, it implies that the final battle was going to be a fight between Nash + everyone else vs. Bison, where Nash and Bison finish each other off, all while Ryu was supposed to take on Necalli while being forced to confront the satsui no hado. Dunno what happened to the development, but they clearly just threw whatever they had together and called it a day.

Yeah it definitely felt rushed/unfinished IMO. Those ninjas from Kanzuki estate looking like they were from a PS1 game was a big indicator. I still enjoyed it though. Gief, Rashid, and Fang were top tier.
Pompadour
Member
(03-21-2017, 06:40 PM)
Pompadour's Avatar
I honestly don't know how they could incorporate Necalli when his whole gimmick is he fights and eats strong warriors. To justifiably pump him up as a threat he'd need to be killing half the playable cast. Sure, they could throw in more AI only characters for him to steamroll but the game was obviously on a limited budget.

Maybe they could have added him murdering the various jobbers of SF lore in cutscenes. Throw Mike, Joe, Geki, Dee Jay, and Lee at him like he's Goldberg.
Edzi
Member
(03-21-2017, 06:41 PM)
Edzi's Avatar

Originally Posted by King Awesome

I honestly don't know how they could incorporate Necalli when his whole gimmick is he fights and eats strong warriors. To justifiably pump him up as a threat he'd need to be killing half the playable cast. Sure, they could throw in more AI only characters for him to steamroll but the game was obviously on a limited budget.

Maybe they could have added him murdering the various jobbers of SF lore in cutscenes. Throw Mike, Joe, Geki, Dee Jay, and Lee at him like he's Goldberg.

Necalli's role should have been easy based on the trailer. He should have been the one to challenge Ryu and draw out the satsui no hado since that's literally what he's doing in the trailer, but they apparently scrapped it and couldn't come up with anything else for him to do.
LakeEarth
Member
(03-21-2017, 06:45 PM)
LakeEarth's Avatar

Originally Posted by Have a Nice Day

Well, there it is.

Oh ... wow...
XenoRaven
Member
(03-21-2017, 06:47 PM)
XenoRaven's Avatar
I really liked the idea of Ryu being separate from the main story but still having an impact on it. Like I assumed Necalli was a primal force that Bison planned on trying to harness but Ryu would shut that down by beating Necalli and overcoming the Satsui No Hado. I think it fits the lone warrior trope better.

Then at the end he just got shoehorned in and ended up making Necalli practically worthless in the process.
Nemesis121
Member
(03-21-2017, 06:48 PM)
Nemesis121's Avatar

Originally Posted by Have a Nice Day

Well, there it is.

Still working our way out of beta...
TheSpoiler
Member
(03-21-2017, 06:48 PM)
TheSpoiler's Avatar
Yeah Necalli would have had to straight up murder people for his gimmick to work. Would have been nice to show him eating other people. And maybe not jobbing to fucking Rog.

Originally Posted by lucebuce12

Props to TheSpoiler for taking my spot as top poster.

Finally, an SFV OT where I'm not the one with the most posts.

Props to me for coming here to shill SFV, talk nerdy lore that nobody cares about, and eat ass for the greater good.

Originally Posted by Have a Nice Day

Well, there it is.

Yo damn that hit box. Reminds me of his U2 from 4, which was in front, behind, and on top of him.
Last edited by TheSpoiler; 03-21-2017 at 06:50 PM.

Thread Tools