• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | August 2017 - Toot toot, Cold Steel Warrior, shaka brah

Status
Not open for further replies.

preta

I am prepared for when I finish FF XII.

4bKjGN2.jpg

You know what's up.

I always wanted to get into the Trails series, but they're so intimidatingly long.

I love long games, but in this case I'll have to play 4 long games in a row, with 2 more waiting in the horizon.

I always wanted to get into the Trails series, but they're so intimidatingly long.

I love long games, but in this case I'll have to play 4 long games in a row, with 2 more waiting in the horizon.

The games now have a turbo mode.
Started Trails 1st and used 8x speed in battle+field.

Took me around 9 hours to finish Prologue+Chapter 1 out of 4.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
This is a scheduled automated repost on behalf of Father_Brain, who is running this raffle.

ModBot said:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Father_Brain, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 24 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Dead Age -- MB-DC61864CE5451AEF - Taken by gurm3n. 17 entrants total.
Five Nights at Freddys: Sister Location -- MB-D1CF091CE26D1155 - Taken by InquisitorAles. 22 entrants total.

By the way, there were some errors processing your keys...
Note: One or more keys you added were already listed in ModBot from a previous giveaway of yours, but was not taken. Updating key info to match new giveaway.

t1503511894z1.png

Ascheroth

I mean you don't have to play them all immediately one after the other. That sounds exhausting.

8 not 6 if the crossbell games come over (more if even the older Legend of Heroes games come out eventually) and you don't have to play them one after the other but turbo mode should help you too just getting through the stories and messing around here or there i'm guessing you are looking at like 300 hours for just those 4 games which is alot on it's own since i'm not even talking 100% completion or anything.

FLD

I mean you don't have to play them all immediately one after the other. That sounds exhausting.

Seriously. Cold Steel in particular is longer than it needs to be AND has pacing issues. Even going in knowing all about it this time around I still ended up losing my drive to play in the last couple chapters. Only one more to go, though, so I should be wrapping it up soonish.

Ascheroth

Seriously. Cold Steel in particular is longer than it needs to be AND has pacing issues. Even going in knowing all about it this time around I still ended up losing my drive to play in the last couple chapters. Only one more to go, though, so I should be wrapping it up soonish.
I dunno, I thought pretty much all pacing issues in Cold Steel can be circumvented with turbo-mode, which for me was just the running around, battle animations and those slow camera pans :p
And the last chapter has a crazy amount of optional NPC talk.

preta

I don't know what those are.

Don't worry about them for now. Although they were released between Sky and Cold Steel, it's fine to play Cold Steel I and II before them, since both subseries take place concurrently and both spoil parts of each other. (In fact, you'll actually have less spoiled by playing CS first.)

FLD

I dunno, I thought pretty much all pacing issues in Cold Steel can be circumvented with turbo-mode, which for me was just the running around, battle animations and those slow camera pans :p
And the last chapter has a crazy amount of optional NPC talk.

Turbo mode can't fix the game's structure, though. It can only make the tedious parts go by faster. I'm not a huge fan of playing a game in fast-forward, anyway, so I won't be using it until I get to NG+.

Turbo mode can't fix the game's structure, though. It can only make the tedious parts go by faster. I'm not a huge fan of playing a game in fast-forward, anyway, so I won't be using it until I get to NG+.

Yeah, this. The premise of turbo mode sounds alluring, but would it also introduce some consequences?

LIke, is the game really that easy so you can breeze through the battle with turbo mode like it's an auto mode in mobile games?

It makes it sound like the combat is not good at all.

Old?

Final Fantasy XV install size won't be 170 GB and the recommended GPU is not 1080 Ti

https://www.kotaku.com.au/2017/08/relax-final-fantasy-15-wont-be-170gb-on-pc/

New

Ascheroth

Yeah, this. The premise of turbo mode sounds alluring, but would it also introduce some consequences?

LIke, is the game really that easy so you can breeze through the battle with turbo mode like it's an auto mode in mobile games?

I think you misunderstand turbo mode.

First, Tubo Mode is not an either/or situation. You don't turn it on once and play the game in fast-forward, or turn it off and play it on normal-speed.
You play the game on normal speed and, whenever you want something happening a little faster, toggle turbo-mode and it literally does nothing more than speeding up animations, i.e faster running speed on the field, faster camera pans in cutscenes, faster attack animations in battle (or outright skipping them), etc. Then it goes back to normal-speed when you release the button.

Battles won't get magically easier. You still need to input your commands and think about what you're doing, it just makes the execution of those commands faster.
It's not a "hold down button and the game automatically roflstomps everything" mode, it's a "I've seen that attack animation a dozen times already, let me just skip straight to the damage numbers"-trigger.
There's objectively no negative to that, and it doesn't devalue the game or its combat.
Imo every turn-based game benefits from turbo-mode/animation skipping, no matter the quality of the game.

Sarcasm

New

It is turbo mode not one button win mode.

Look into the G403, it's got the same wireless sensor and wired dynamic like the G903 but it's a bit cheaper, I got one on sale at Best Buy a few months back for like $40.
Is there a mouse that has a an actual robust wheel? My Sensei RAW and G403 had dodgy click registration (wheel) after a year or two.

Is there a mouse that has a an actual robust wheel? My Sensei RAW and G403 had dodgy click registration (wheel) after a year or two.
I got a Zowie FK1 and it's the first mouse wheel that's stayed solid after a year of use. Bonus ruggedness: It survived a leak in my apartment where it had been poured with water for about two hours.

10-pack of crap'o'rama. Didn't think I had them all!

Absconding Zatwor

Break Into Zatwor

Brilliant Bob

Fiends of Imprisonment

GooCubelets

GooCubelets 2

GooCubelets: The Altoorithm

They Came From The Moon

Why So Evil

Why So Evil 2: Dystopia

Get your own here

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This is a garbage dump. No other rules apply, you may claim as many as you want (there are no limits or throttles), and keys you win won't be counted as wins for your record. Do not SELL these keys for a profit.

10-pack of games -- MB-D29EE08F2BE49F7A - Taken by abelasabel

It only speeds up animations, it doesn't make decisions for you. Don't forget that the combat is turn based.

I think you misunderstand turbo mode.

First, Tubo Mode is not an either/or situation. You don't turn it on once and play the game in fast-forward, or turn it off and play it on normal-speed.
You play the game on normal speed and, whenever you want something happening a little faster, toggle turbo-mode and it literally does nothing more than speeding up animations, i.e faster running speed on the field, faster camera pans in cutscenes, faster attack animations in battle (or outright skipping them), etc. Then it goes back to normal-speed when you release the button.

Battles won't get magically easier. You still need to input your commands and think about what you're doing, it just makes the execution of those commands faster.
It's not a "hold down button and the game automatically roflstomps everything" mode, it's a "I've seen that attack animation a dozen times already, let me just skip straight to the damage numbers"-trigger.
There's objectively no negative to that, and it doesn't devalue the game or its combat.
Imo every turn-based game benefits from turbo-mode/animation skipping, no matter the quality of the game.

It is turbo mode not one button win mode.

It only speeds up animations, it doesn't make decisions for you. Don't forget that the combat is turn based.

Ok. But I got the feeling that turbo mode could save you dozens of hours, it would cut like 20+ hours of playtime or something like that. Are the battle animations really take THAT long?

kagamin

Ok. But I got the feeling that turbo mode could save you dozens of hours, it would cut like 20+ hours of playtime or something like that. Are the battle animations really take THAT long?

You can use turbo mode outside of battle too, and it doesn't skip dialog boxes.

lazerfox

Turbo Mode makes the PC version so much better tho. Playing without it feels like an unnecessary handicap.

I got a Zowie FK1 and it's the first mouse wheel that's stayed solid after a year of use. Bonus ruggedness: It survived a leak in my apartment where it had been poured with water for about two hours.
Impressive, they don't look half bad as well. No Lamborghini on meth shit that plagued other gaming peripherals.

Durante

You don't breeze through the part where you are actually playing -- that is, making the decisions -- you skip and/or speed up the sequences where you watch your decisions playing out.

IMHO, the combat is easily in the top 15% of all JRPGs. Especially if you play on hard where you have to make be pretty good with your strategic decisions.

It shaves off so many hours because as in any rpg you'll fight hundreds of battles throughout the game and yes, the battle animations in Sky are notoriously slow.
In Cold Steel all battle animations can be skipped, but in Sky you can only skip ultimate attacks (which have a mini-cutscene), making battles drag on for too long. Turbo mode fixes this which is imo the only big flaw these games have.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom