• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

It's hard to believe that we're in 2017 and 60 frames isn't standard on consoles

The Dude

I'm a Pc guy mainly so I get my fill of 60 fps there but I still play consoles for games where more friends will play, and destiny 2 aside... How exactly isn't it simply a standard practice to achieve 60 frames in all games by now?

And the thing is this, the difference is huge from 30 to 60...absolutely huge. Now going from 60 to say 100 it is a little more of a situation where the gains aren't always going to be mins boggling huge, maybe for some and not others etc... But 30 to 60 is a must, it's a huge must and I just don't see why even guys like Sony can't make it mandatory especially with pro systems now.

Speaking of which why can't they make it a mandatory standard for games that release on their consoles?

TheContact

even the ps4 pro and new xbox aren't 60fps? I'm asking bc I don't use consoles at all anymore (except for handhelds like 3ds, vita, switch)

Manu

As consoles get more powerful, the additional power is used for graphical bells and whistles. It's a matter of priorities and demographics.

If you care so much about performance you should play on PC, just like you're doing now.

AaronMT86

30 fps is more cinematic

60 fps is too tiring on the eyes

giphy.gif

I'm a Pc guy mainly so I get my fill of 60 fps there but I still play consoles for games where more friends will play, and destiny 2 aside... How exactly isn't it simply a standard practice to achieve 60 frames in all games by now?

And the thing is this, the difference is huge from 30 to 60...absolutely huge. Now going from 60 to say 100 it is a little more of a situation where the gains aren't always going to be mins boggling huge, maybe for some and not others etc... But 30 to 60 is a must, it's a huge must and I just don't see why even guys like Sony can't make it mandatory especially with pro systems now.

Speaking of which why can't they make it a mandatory standard for games that release on their consoles?

Developers could choose to make every game 60fps if they wanted to. They don't

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

Because on closed-hardware, some developers would rather opt for better visuals ? If all developers wanted 60 FPS, they'd make their games 60 FPS.

Neiteio

I remember Digital Foundry noting a good number of Switch games are 1080p 60fps docked (i.e. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, ARMS, etc), and they still look gorgeous.

I just think that on the beefier consoles they tend to prioritize additional visual detail over the playability and performance afforded by a high framerate.

It won't ever be, some prioritize eye candy and others performance.

As consoles get more powerful, the additional power is used for graphical bells and whistles. It's a matter of priorities and demographics.

If you care so much about performance you should play on PC, just like you're doing now.

Exactly, as hardware power increases, devs are obviously going to want to do more with it which means many games still won't target 60fps.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
the average person doesn't even give a fuck

This. I've even demonstrated the difference to a few people and they don't get it. It doesn't sell games so it won't be a priority. Probably best to just accept the reality of the situation. Play on PC if you want 60.

TheMoon

It's hard to believe that we're in 2017 and we still need to explain every time that 60fps will never be a "standard" frame rate on consoles because certain games simply don't need it and others rather rely on other pizazz to sell their game.

The Dude

If you're primarily a PC gamer, why do you care? 60 hasn't been a standard on PC until fairly recently.

Because when I'm gaming on Pc and then switch to a console and games aren't 60 it's very noticeable, in fact almost to a point where I simply can't swing 30 anymore unless it's some Wizardry like what Horizon did.

Rncewind

because devs dont want to down the graphical fidelity of the wholy game only becaue maybe one part of their game does not perform well and many people dont care (so no, as a fact its not a must).

Also i have rather begin platform (and marketplace) holders rather enforce standards on not putting unfinished games and such on their system

also is this not like the tenth time that you make a thread like this ?

13ruce

Banned
Mah graphics need to be da best.
That mindset probably is why we still have 30 fps on consoles. 60fps is possible since ps3 but a lot of people want beautiful graphics.

Companies can also brag about nice looking games in marketing.

LCGeek

formerly sane
As long as 60fps requires a strong CPU we will likely never see it as a standard nor is it something I wish for loving frames myself.

vareon

Regardless of how much better 60 FPS is, a lot of people think 30 FPS is in the good enough zone. Unless 60 FPS play is eased in naturally (like, say, HD videos back then) people won't even be looking for it.

it's actually not that hard to believe when you think about it.

also, since you're coming from PC, what difference does it make? multi plat games are almost always a PC purchase for you, if you're anything like me.

30 fps is more cinematic [according to PR]

60 fps is too tiring on the eyes

Fixed that for you. Devs prioritise graphics in the situation to appeal better. While we would look more towards the frame rate, the average consumer probably won't be too concerned over it.

The better question is, Why do some games release unoptimised on consoles.

I've been wondering: does a difference in frame-rate really affect game-play? In an action game, does a 60fps rendered animation of a 0.2sec punch differ from a 30fps one?

I feel this 60fps requirement is just a myth.

It's not standard because it's easier to sell a game on how pretty it looks rather than how well it runs to the mainstream public.

(Or even how good the gameplay of the video game actually is.)

AmFreak

If you asked me 10 years ago if most console games in 2017 would be 30fps, i would have said yes.
The reason for 30fps is not technical, but economical.
In that sense graphics > 60fps.

TheMoon

Mah graphics need to be da best.
That mindset probably is why we still have 30 fps on consoles. 60fps is possible since ps3 but a lot of people want beautiful graphics.

Companies can also brag about nice looking games in marketing.

60fps has always been possible. not just since ps3 lol.

It's hard to believe that we're in 2017 and people still claim that games that run at a solid 30 fps aren't perfectly serviceable.

The Dude

because devs dont want to down the graphical fidelity of the wholy game only becaue maybe one part of their game does not perform well and many people dont care (so no, as a fact its not a must).

Also i have rather begin platform (and marketplace) holders rather enforce standards on not putting unfinished games and such on their system

also is this not like the tenth time that you make a thread like this ?

Must be someone else, I haven't made a frame thread on here at all before I don't believe

Nestunt

The majority of consumers prefer photo-realistic to performance. There is a trade-off and that's the way the market speaks to hardware-makers and developers. I prefer frame rate, but I completely understand how Horizon (or other examples) is the benchmark for games evolution.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I do think that we'll eventually see a move to more 60fps games not so much due to wanting a higher standard but to prevent dev times from bloating even more due to a long asset creation process.

Top Bottom