• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bachelor production shut down after crew films sexual assault

johnsmith

remember me
http://www.vulture.com/2017/06/bachelor-in-paradise-misconduct-consent-demario-jackson.html

While Warner Bros. continues to investigate the alleged “misconduct” that recently occurred on the set of ABC’s Bachelor in Paradise, more disturbing details about the nature of that misconduct have leaked to the gossip press. Earlier today, People reported that Warner Bros. was investigating a potentially nonconsensual sexual encounter that occurred during filming in Sayulita, Mexico. Now, the alleged victim in the situation is speaking out, through sources, to TMZ.

To recap: Multiple sources told People that BIP producers allegedly filmed cast member DeMario Jackson engaging in a sexual encounter with a female contestant who may have been too drunk to consent. Warner Bros. has declined to comment on the specifics of the allegations. Jackson, meanwhile, has defended himself to TMZ, stating, through sources, that he had oral sex with a female contestant in a hot tub and that “the next day everything was fine.” Now, sources close to the female contestant are telling TMZ her side of the story. Originally, our sister site the Cut withheld the name of the contestant due to the sensitive nature of the allegations and the fact that she had not yet spoken out about them. Now, however, we will present her side of things, as told to TMZ.

Corinne Olympios claims she was in a blackout state when she got sexual with fellow “Bachelor in Paradise” star DeMario Jackson … and she blames producers for not pulling the plug and protecting her… Sources close to Corinne tell TMZ she was drunk the entire day of filming when she ended up naked in the swimming pool with DeMario. Although DeMario remembers everything … she says she remembers nothing. We’re told the day after the swimming pool incident she claims fellow cast members began telling her stories of what went down with DeMario. She says several cast members told her they had voiced concern to people on the production crew that she was in no position to consent to sexual activity, but the crew did not heed their warnings.

Holy shit. This is disgusting. The fact that there were people there that have stopped this and did nothing. Warner Bros and ABC need to pay for this.

http://nypost.com/2017/06/13/bachelor-contestant-was-limp-and-unconscious-crew-member/
“There was hugging and kissing and touching, but before long, she seemed to go limp,” the source said. “DeMario kept trying to hold her up and . . . he appeared to be having intercourse with her.

“After he finished — which only lasted a few seconds — he lifted her out of the water and laid her on the cement, where he proceeded to have oral sex with her,” the source added.

“She appeared to be unconscious. At that point, some of the crew came out and carried her off to her room. She was limp and seemed unable to walk on her own.”

tbm24

I don't understand exactly, was this being filmed? Is the staff instructed to never interfere? I saw a show centered on the making of a bachelor show(the behind the scenes staff) and the exact scenario happened there too. At least on that show someone from the crew stopped it before it went on too long.

LQX

I read another article the other day that said she initiated the whole thing so wonder how that will play out.

Oersted

They always make the women drunk on Bachelor. Shitty crews, shitty concept. Hope she recovers and the word spreads.

Dyle

Whelp, so much for the Bachelor

The bystander effect is very very real, even cameras are rolling. I wonder how this case will proceed if she decides to file charges, to what degree would ABC be culpable for standing by while this happens?

vypek

The Bachelor is a huge property for ABC, I bet the show will survive.

The bystander effect is very very real, even cameras are rolling. I wonder how this case will proceed if she decides to file charges, to what degree would ABC be culpable for standing by while this happens?

This spin-off property might die while the other show stays the same. I remember seeing earlier stuff in the TV cancellation thread about this. I had got the impression a crew was filming and didn't do anything and they just didn't feel comfortable with the footage the day after. This is totally insane and the fact that no one did anything after concerns were raised is really terrible.

Putting the sexual assault allegation to one side for a second, why the fuck are TV cameras filming people engaging in sexual activities in the first place?

And filming a woman seemingly getting so drunk she blacks out?

What is this fucking shit?

Joni

Putting the sexual assault allegation to one side for a second, why the fuck are TV cameras filming people engaging in sexual activities in the first place?

Let's be honest, what is the goal of the program if it is not hot people fucking? It is like Temptation Island.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!

And filming a woman seemingly getting so drunk she blacks out?

What is this fucking shit?

This shit's been going on since the early 90's with The Real World on MTV and probably earlier. These shows pretty much thrive on people getting drunk enough to fuck with cameras everywhere.

Future

From other sources

“DeMario has been described as a good guy, producers and execs like him,” a source claimed to Radar. “He knows what he signed up for and has been cooperative with producers. Everyone feels bad for him.”

The insider continued that there have been alleged complaints involving Olympios before the incident.

“She has been involved in multiple sexually provocative incidents sober, drunk and in between,” the source claimed. “She was scolded and reprimanded and warned. Her excuse that she was blackout drunk those involved with the show don’t believe.”

PHOTOS: ‘Bachelor In Paradise’ Secrets & Scandals REVEALED

So as always, shouldn't jump to conclusions until real investigation blah blah blah.

http://radaronline.com/celebrity-ne...corinne-olympios-sexual-assault-incident/amp/

So do people just have sex right in front of the camera? Who was in a position to "stop" it?

Presumably that kind of thing happens all the time for like, ten years now, yes. On the show they'll cut to some metaphorically suggestive scenery and/or a wacky sound effect. Or a sweet, tender shot along with romantic piano music if that's what they're trying to convey. Etc. But either way yeah, there's definitely years worth of sexual footage on the cutting room floor of those shows.

That's gross. I hope it means pulling the plug on the show, but I doubt it with the ratings it pulls in.

I have no idea what Temptation Island is.

If I remember correctly, it was a bunch of couples that were separated and shacked up with a hot single person of the opposite sex to see if they become tempted enough to cheat on their significant other.

Marcel

It's gross but this is shockingly common in reality TV (the getting people wasted part).

ABC will settle in court, maybe rest the show for a year and then it will come back.

FZZ

Banned
How does blacking out work in a case like this

what if you consent while blacked out

I've seen people be fully functional blacked out, but they don't remember anything the next day

gatti-man

The one good thing about this is that if it was filmed then what really happened will be easy to discern and justice will be carried out. This kind of stuff happens all the time and it's just her word vs his. Atleast she has video.

night814

Not surprising, this show has literally been going this direction the entire time. It's about 30 people trying to go after 1 member of the opposite sex which is weird enough, but then this island variation is just a bunch of horny people in their prime trying to hook up. I don't know what people expect to happen but this sounds about right and the fact that people are filming it with a boom mic right next to them is completely bonkers. Kill it.

I've seen people be fully functional blacked out, but they don't remember anything the next day

Yeah, I have a feeling that's how the guy is going​ to slime his way out of it.

dionysus

Yaldog
How can the producers allow contestants to get blackout drunk, and just let the cameras roll?

Allow? They encourage it. Even the main bachelor/ette show makes sure to have copious amounts of alcohol available 24/7. Lots of contestants have gone on the record about it.

Haven't watched in years and never watched this spinoff, but you could always tell most of the drama on the show had two sources: intentionally casting pariahs to create drama and alcohol fueled stupidity. Though through editing they try to minimize the viewer actually seeing people drink.

entremet

I have no idea how people watch this shitty show.

It's huge with the female TV viewing demographic in the US. Ridiculously huge and successful. GAF ain't gonna be a place for the majority of the posters to understand its appeal lol.

How sickening. Everyone involved in the production directly is complicit in the assault. There's no way they didn't know it was happening.

FZZ

Banned
Yeah, I have a feeling that's how the guy is going​ to slime his way out of it.

Sounds like the dude def took advantage but this shit is so common in college and most of the time people don't give it the time of day

shit has always had me confused because I've seen and heard of situations where both people consent (while they're both intoxicated), like they're not on the floor or anything, but the next day one person regrets it

and then of course theres the even worse more common situation of someone, usually a girl, being flat out raped

alcohol fucks with situations like this so much

Fury451

Banned
Don't mean to sound ignorant here, but I always presumed the shows were largely scripted. I definitely didn't think any of these sort of sexual encounters were real.

If it was filmed, that should be pretty open and shut against the people that allowed something to continue.

Snagret

The show will survive, it's too huge. Bachelor in Paradise's fate might be under consideration, though.

Sadly it's not really surprising that something like this happened. BIP is where they dump a mixture of likable contestants from previous seasons in with "villians" or controversial figures, which lately has broadened to genuinely horrible people like secret-racists or people who threaten physical violence onto fellow cast members. Give everybody a ton of liquor and put the whole arrangement into the hands of producers looking to film drama, some of that drama is gonna get fucking super gross and morally reprehensible.

Don't mean to sound ignorant here, but I always presumed the shows were largely scripted. I definitely didn't think any of these sort of sexual encounters were real. I would assume that if there were that many production people around that were concerned, there must be some film to back up their objections and concerns? That way nobody can claim ignorance on the upper end of things.

That should be pretty open and shut against the people that allowed something to continue.
If UnReal is anything to go by, it's less that the show is "scripted" and more that it's staged in such a way that the contestants are being influenced by the producers to confront people or behave in certain ways and create drama without really realizing that's what's going on. There's still an element of "reality" to it, but it's heightened by outside forces.

Gattsu25

Banned

Forget blackout drunkenness. You can't consent while drunk. Period.

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
Alcohol and consent are super weird. Add cameras to the mix and it gets even weirder. I also don't understand where the sexual assault comes in, when there are no allegations of rape and she was essentially giving the dude a blowjob of her own (super hammered) volition. I do agree that if the chick is hammered enough to want to get it on in front of tons of cameras, they shouldve pulled the plug.

They should just cancel the show though. They're all mostly trash.

Future

Don't mean to sound ignorant here, but I always presumed the shows were largely scripted. I definitely didn't think any of these sort of sexual encounters were real.

If it was filmed, that should be pretty open and shut against the people that allowed something to continue.

A lot of it is real. Producers "intervene" to encourage storylines but people being people is entertaining

Kaladin

From other sources

So as always, shouldn't jump to conclusions until real investigation blah blah blah.

http://radaronline.com/celebrity-ne...corinne-olympios-sexual-assault-incident/amp/

“She has been involved in multiple sexually provocative incidents sober, drunk and in between,” the source claimed. “She was scolded and reprimanded and warned. Her excuse that she was blackout drunk those involved with the show don’t believe.”

PHOTOS: ‘Bachelor In Paradise’ Secrets & Scandals REVEALED

This bit is true from what I've seen on the show even. When she was on The Bachelor as a contestant she got shit faced, snuck into the guy's hotel room and tried to have drunk sex with him but he shut it down.

Top Bottom