• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metallica announces their own record label: Blackened Recordings

Status
Not open for further replies.

Megasoum

Banned
Why aren't Dr. Dre threads shit up by people bitching about him killing Napster?

This, I'm so fucking tired of people always talking about napster in the Metallica threads.

Like many other peoples said here, they had unreleased song leaked on the web. Anybody that creates something will want to protect it from thieves, that's just normal.

Yes the RIAA is bad but, again, this has nothing to do with Metallica.

Finally, if you ever seen Some Kind of Monster (or did a bit of research on the group) you will see that this whole Napster thing happened during the year that James Hetfield was in rehab. It was a very dark time for the group and at that point the other 2 members (they didn't had Rob yet) were not even sure if James would come back at all and it could be the end of the group. They had years of bullshit and frustration built up and I guess Napster was the first target. I'm not saying that the way they did it was the best way to go but they were 100% in their rights to protect the material they had created over the last 20 years.

Pavaloo

Well, Dr. Dre did take almost a decade to make one of the most revered hip-hop albums in history. Leaking that is a different story?

I don't know, I will admit that I'm an outsider looking in and probably don't know enough about Metallica to draw parallels.

Megasoum

Banned
those must be some pretty dark days.

Heh... St. Anger is definitly some of the worst stuff they did (see my previous post about the band's mood around those years, they were in a transition period with a lot of shit flying around, not surprised the album didn't turn out so good).

To be fair, while I don't really like most of the stuff on that album I think if they actually recorded it with a proper drum (un-clamping the snare was the worst fucking idea ever...omg terrible) it wouldn't be as bad. Some of those songs would be "ok".

Because Dr. Dre makes good music.

Again, different stroke... I listen to most of Metallica stuff on a daily playlist but I would probably stick knives in my hears if I was forced to anything made by Dr. Dre...

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I can't figure out why people are still so obsessed with Napster. They were totally fucking right about Napster anyways because its just stealing, yet everyone is angry at them 10 years after the fact over it.

Kaladin

Heh... St. Anger is definitly some of the worst stuff they did (see my previous post about the band's mood around those years, they were in a transition period with a lot of shit flying around, not surprised the album didn't turn out so good).

To be fair, while I don't really like most of the stuff on that album I think if they actually recorded it with a proper drum (un-clamping the snare was the worst fucking idea ever...omg terrible) it wouldn't be as bad. Some of those songs would be "ok".

Listen to the live DVD they released with St. Anger which had Rob on bass and Lars behind a real drum kit. There are audio rips of it floating around and that is what I use as the St. Anger listing in my music collection.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IgqCRdhgS8c

Come on, Lars is easily the best thing about Metallica. Grade school 3rd class drumming on a platinum selling band = solid golid.

That and that part on Some kind of Monster where they have these group therapy/crying sessions when they can't finish their album.

ascii42

I'd figure anything written by James had potential. Anything written by the other two had no shot lyrically of being decent.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Metallica is synonymous with sellouts. Fuck them.

Sure, except they didn't actually sell out until the 2000s and they did it for their fans. Its readily apparent they haven't even liked thrash metal since the 80s, but they made that last thrash metal album just to appease the fans. If you listen to them jam/talk/whatever, its really obvious they personally have no interest in thrash metal at all and havent for decades.

Now, as for their "label," I'm pretty sure its just a major label sublabel, so its kind of silly to call it "independent."

Megasoum

Banned

That's another thing I don't get...

For me sellouts are group that clearly don't give a shit and just want to sell crap...

For example, see AC/DC or Kiss. They have rows full of useless crap to sell at Walmart and clearly don't give a damn about their music anymore.

Everytime a group gets big some hipsters come in calling them sellouts. Newsflash, if your band gets big you will make money! A lot of it!

Any bands that makes music for a living are there to make money. It's a job... You would prefer for them to go back to a garage somewhere selling demo tapes? Doesn't make any sense.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.

Well, they did finally sell out when they made Death Magnetic. Of course, idiots were calling them sellouts a long time before that.

Angry Grimace

Ironically, the Between the Buried and Me cover of the song "Blackened" is better than Metallica's original version.

I haven't heard it but I'm calling bullshit already. Blackened is one of the best metal songs in existence and you can't just make it better.

Edit: AHAHHAHAHAH cookie monster vocals on Blackened oh wow

For reference:

This is the original: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DU_ggFovJNo

This is the cover: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRNVhcQy1aM

Kaladin

Metallica sells outs so much they needed eight shows in Mexico City this year. They also sell out so much that their entire five date run in Australia for Feb/March next year is already sold out.

Yep, big sell outs.

You're setting the bar too low.

I enjoyed it for the most part. Songs could have used some trimming instead of trying so hard to make them long. And Unforgiven 3 is garbage (this coming from someone who loves the shit out of Unforgiven 2). I'd prefer something better, but I honestly don't think they have it in them any more.

I think having unlimited time and money like they've had since the Black Album, hurts to a certain degree. Pressure adds a certain spark.

Pfff, the only Metallica cover that counts lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w9LaB9dq4Rw

I dare you to make it more than 10 seconds.

http://youtu.be/40Grq0epcLc?t=13s

EDIT: Fuck me, I forgot how amazing that entire show was. Korn covering One, Limp Bizkit bringing the Sanitarium, and Snoop Dogg doing whatever the fuck he did.

RSLAEV

Just can't listen to anything they made after "And Justice For All"

The first time I heard tracks from the Black album I thought it was some kind of joke.

-Eddman-

Good for them and I hope this means they'll release non ultra limited/expensive vinyl versions of the first 4 records. I have the Warner vinyl re-release of Master and Ride the Lightning and they're... not very good.

This also could be a good oportunity to release a badass blu-ray version of the '89 Seattle gig.

James old voice was so fucking good that none of Kirk's wah-wankery or Lars' bad drumming could affect my enjoyment of Metallica. I also think that Load was a brilliant, really underrated album. It was basically Metallica meets Alice in Chains or something like that, with James still at his prime and the band trying new things in the blues-metal realm.

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
we shall see by their next album if they truely are only in it for the money like hundreds claim, if their next album is cheaper than normal than they clearly arent in it for the money :p

they have control over anything like that, no more banning youtube videos unless they dont want it ( was mostly warner though ) hell they could put up songs for free if they want now.

Megasoum

Banned
Good for them and I hope this means they'll release non ultra limited/expensive vinyl versions of the first 4 records. I have the Warner vinyl re-release of Master and Ride the Lightning and they're... not very good.

This also could be a good oportunity to release a badass blu-ray version of the '89 Seattle gig.

James old voice was so fucking good that none of Kirk's wah-wankery or Lars' bad drumming could affect my enjoyment of Metallica. I also think that Load was a brilliant, really underrated album. It was basically Metallica meets Alice in Chains or something like that, with James still at his prime and the band trying new things in the blues-metal realm.

THAT!

I only have the VHS version of Live Shit. It's a great boxset but VHS a bit useless nowadays lol.

we shall see by their next album if they truely are only in it for the money like hundreds claim, if their next album is cheaper than normal than they clearly arent in it for the money :p

they have control over anything like that, no more banning youtube videos unless they dont want it ( was mostly warner though ) hell they could put up songs for free if they want now.

Well...they are releasing a full show on Bluray for less than 15$...

atomsk

Party Pooper
E0bEo.jpg

Ixion

Because Dr. Dre isn't the most hated band in the world.

I wouldn't say Metallica is the most hated band in the world. Nickelback gets shit on more and they also have a much smaller fan base, since Metallica actually made some great albums at one point.

Good, I hope this means they will release quality masters of all their albums.

AND YES TO THE 89 CONCERT BLURAY!!

Also, I kinda dig that the BD for their new show is so cheap, but it does make it seem like the DVD should be lower.

I'll pick it up just to support the venture. Also because regardless of how much shit people give Metallica they are still one of my favorite bands.

I just hope they keep Lars away from finding 'talent'.

Plaguefox

Press release garbage said:
...always been about us taking control of all things 'Tallica to give you 110% on every single level every single time. ...the ultimate in independence, putting us in the driver's seat of our own creative destiny.
God this writing makes me want to punch something.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
Eh, as a Metallica fan who enjoys most of everything they have ever done. I've got used it to it. Seriously, I even sometimes like St. Anger.
Sometimes? I honestly really like the album. I appreciate them trying to do new stuff, even if it's not always successful. I wish them the best of luck with this venture.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom