• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL March |OT| It's Spring, Not Autumn, But The Leafs Are Fallin'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Acid08

Banned
My point is SJ is spending more than us on established big names and thus comes the expectation. However expectation has nothing to do with relevance, performance does. Not history of performance, current performance. The only way to logically apply relevance to sports teams is based on their success in relation to the teams around them.

In recent seasons the Sharks were more relevant. As it stands right now, we're in the same boat.

Bullshit. A teams past performances always play into what expectations are for fans and outsiders looking to scrutinize.

The teams with the most expectations always are more relevant. Florida still isn't considered a relevant team by most despite all of their success this season.

Bullshit. A teams past performances always play into what expectations are for fans and outsiders looking to scrutinize.

The teams with the most expectations always are more relevant. Florida still isn't considered a relevant team by most despite all of their success this season.

History of performance in relation to expectation is not what I'm arguing. Expectation has nothing to do with relevancy. It doesn't matter if most people consider Florida a relevant team if they're successful. Their success dictates their relevancy. I'm not sure what part you're not understanding.

Expectation =/= relevance.

Acid08

Banned
History of performance in relation to expectation is not what I'm arguing. Expectation has nothing to do with relevancy. It doesn't matter if most people consider Florida a relevant team if they're successful. Their success dictates their relevancy. I'm not sure what part you're not understanding.

Expectation =/= relevance.

Can a team truly be relevant if no one cares?

Marvie_3

Banned
Future stanley cup champs bro

iX8iKdWvChdN4.gif

Acid08

Banned
If the Yotes won the cup this year would they be irrelevant?

They would be more relevant but would they be treated with anywhere near the reverence as Montreal or Toronto despite them both not making the playoffs? Some teams are just forever irrelevant.

Fan bases and attention keep teams relevant despite performance.

They would be more relevant but would they be treated with anywhere near the reverence as Montreal or Toronto despite them both not making the playoffs? Some teams are just forever irrelevant.

I'm done arguing about this. A team's relevancy has nothing to do with the media attention they receive or the size of their fan base. It's based strictly upon their performance. If we were debating FRANCHISE relevancy then perhaps you'd have a good argument.. but only if you were a fan of another franchise. Sharks are at the bottom of the franchise relevancy list.

Acid08

Banned
I'm done arguing about this. A team's relevancy has nothing to do with the media attention they receive or the size of their fan base. It's based strictly upon their performance. If we were debating FRANCHISE relevancy then perhaps you'd have a good argument.. but only if you were a fan of another franchise. Sharks are at the bottom of the franchise relevancy list.

Not entirely true.

Marvie_3

Banned

Did the Islanders, Panthers, Coyotes, Devils, Hurricanes, Wild, Avalanche, Ducks, Kings, Lightning, and Blue Jackets all fall off the face of the earth?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom