• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil May Cry 4 Special Edition |OT| Two girls, one motivated Vergil

It's really not worth all of that. They're just rumors/leaks. A trailer from the team is way more desirable than an article saying it's coming.

Oh I believd Dah as well. That wasn't my point. It's just that these stuff are considered to be acceptable or even good leaks. That's the point I was trying to make and that's why I said if he did make a thread about it other sites would report on it cause a new mainline DMC game being made by Itsuno is newsworthy. Even if we don't have any further details on it.

For the record, I don't think he should make a thread about it either. I only said that as an example and for the sake of argument.

Dahbomb

Other sites already made news about DMC5 when those mocap pics went up. No one is going to put that story up again until something concrete is provided.

Other sites already made news about DMC5 when those mocap pics went up. No one is going to put that story up again until something concrete is provided.
Wasn't that mocap photo for cutscenes in the new DMC4 pachislot, though? I remember Reuben explicitly saying during an interview that all he could confirm at the time, was that the mocap picture was not from DMC5.

Misdirection overflow.
I don't know. It might be naive of me to think this way but he did say that he has taken an oath to never lie for the rest of his life, and he worded the answer to the mocap pic carefully, so I'm inclined to believe him.

Anyway, this discussion has ran its course. I believe that even saying a developer is working on X game is a worthy leak (as long as its true), and you don't. Let's just agree to disagree.

Dahbomb

Trust me if I get even one more piece of concrete information on DMC5 I am going to leak the hell out of it. I will take the perma ban from GAF for it if it comes down to it.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
What we want to avoid is crying wolf constantly, because it honestly just ends up making people equate DMC5 to an unfounded rumor vaporware joke.

Dahbomb is right. Once or twice is fine, but there have been numerous threads already with varying levels of legitimacy. Something concrete should be the standard now.

Trust me if I get even one more piece of concrete information on DMC5 I am going to leak the hell out of it. I will take the perma ban from GAF for it if it comes down to it.

I take it to mean that you already have quite a bit of concrete evidence then, DB? Not asking you to leak since I don't want you to burn any bridges, but I'm trusting you!

Dahbomb

By concrete evidence it's just a source who I trust. Same person leaked Marvel Infinite to me well in advance (like a year before) so it's reliable. That's why I was being all dodgy in the Marvel 4 threads when Ryce leaked it.

But I was also told way back that it would be 2v2 w/ 1 assist. I asked the person what happened about that and it seemed like that was their initial intention with the game but then after testing/playing they didn't like it so it was axed. Now if I had leaked that information in advance I would have been banned from GAF for making a false leak.

Same person had DMC5 being unveiled at TGS but got pulled last minute.

I don't want you to leak the game and risk getting banned Dah. I know we went sideways, but the original discussion was about Capcom doing a good jump of keeping things from being leaked, which I disagreed with by saying that we just had a leak about Knights and DC. The DMC5 stuff came after and as I said, I was merely making a point.

I don't want any of you guys putting your accounts on the line for any info that might not be true or get changed later on. So if any of you guys know something, please don't make a thread about it.

Mizerman

While I would love to have a definite leak, you getting banned isn't worth it.

TreIII

What we want to avoid is crying wolf constantly, because it honestly just ends up making people equate DMC5 to an unfounded rumor vaporware joke.

Dahbomb is right. Once or twice is fine, but there have been numerous threads already with varying levels of legitimacy. Something concrete should be the standard now.

And what I "fear" is that mods might start clamping down harder if we keep doing such things without serious proof. We start getting serious leaks from Reddit/4chan/a Ryse-like figure and the like again, and maybe we can start talking about leaving stuff over on Gaming side again (or at worst, it wouldn't come from DMC-GAF regulars).

I literally can't make a thread anyway so no need to worry about me making some random threads.
Oh man, I completely forgot about you being juniored. I know it's a shitty thing to say, but I'm really glad that at least you can't get yourself banned by making a thread about leaks, hahaha.

Sesha

Another rumor thread won't get people talking unless it's a "DMC5 is to be announced at E3" posted a few days or weeks before E3. People have been hurt too many times, and many are in active denial.

i stopped believing in dmc5, just as i stopped believing in onimusha ps4.

I love Onimusha, but one is not like the other. After SF5, DR4, RE7, MvC: I and RE2R, along with Itsuno working on a new game that he's announcing this year, we have all the more reason to believe DMC5 will be a reality.

I spent a lot of time last night getting my ass kicked in DMC3. DMC4 and pretty much every action game released since then is easier than this by a long shot. I'm stuck at the damn sub boss in Mission 2 on DMD because I'm not reacting fast enough lol. I hope the next game is somewhat this difficult because I know it'll get me away from thinking about combo video shit and focus on surviving and getting S ranks.

Really the only seriously tricky thing about DMD Hell Vanguard is that his dash attacks have such big hitboxes that sometimes you can't get clear of them and need to rely on invincibility frames instead, which requires a lot more practice and learning than just learning enemy tells and having good reflexes (which you're probably fine at already if you're on DMD). Trickster solves the getting-clear problem and the i-frame problem at the same time, of course, but it makes plenty of sense not to want to rely on it. That said, don't feel bad about the speed of your reflexes; like I said, it's less about getting completely clear of the attack once he's doing three in a row.

Really the only seriously tricky thing about DMD Hell Vanguard is that his dash attacks have such big hitboxes that sometimes you can't get clear of them and need to rely on invincibility frames instead, which requires a lot more practice and learning than just learning enemy tells and having good reflexes (which you're probably fine at already if you're on DMD). Trickster solves the getting-clear problem and the i-frame problem at the same time, of course, but it makes plenty of sense not to want to rely on it. That said, don't feel bad about the speed of your reflexes; like I said, it's less about getting completely clear of the attack once he's doing three in a row.

I was using Swordmaster just to get used to the game again so I tried to rely on the i-frames on jumping.

Will be interesting to see if we get a dedicated dodge button in DMC5 (that is outside trickster). Personally I'd be fine with current dodge if they make it a table hopper dodge always instead of a roll (plus I felt rolling in DMC4 was much improved over DMC3). So basically like Vergil in devil trigger but always...

Golnei

An unaltered version of Vergil's Table Hopper as the standard dodge would be difficult to balance around, it's too safe to lead to scenarios that threaten even new players. Something like a three or even two dodge cooldown, as in Bayonetta, might be required to add some risk to it.

Will be interesting to see if we get a dedicated dodge button in DMC5 (that is outside trickster). Personally I'd be fine with current dodge if they make it a table hopper dodge always instead of a roll (plus I felt rolling in DMC4 was much improved over DMC3). So basically like Vergil in devil trigger but always...

It depends on if they want to keep style switching or not, but a new animation for the roll would be something I'd prefer as well. It can be the cartwheel animation from DMC2 with a just frame table hopper upgrade.

Dahbomb

Capcom has a sizeable booth for E3.

Demo stations for DMC5?

reece.JPG

So we are gonna get another Shadow of Mordor game before DMC5. After Nier, this Batman like combat is the closest thing we've got to traditional action games atm, so hopefully it'll be much better than the first game.

We're probably gonna get to play the demo as well like RE7. They know it has been too long.
It'll be better if we didn't compare DMC's marketing to RE which could result in us setting our exceptions too high. I still remember waiting for any sort of info on DmC while RE6 got a playable demo and a big blow-out.

It'll be better if we didn't compare DMC's marketing to RE which could result in us setting our exceptions too high. I still remember waiting for any sort of info on DmC while RE6 got a playable demo and a big blow-out.

Man, that nine month wait from TGS 2010 to E3 2011 was hell. The fanbase was tearing itself apart, people became set in their opinions before any new info came out, and the PR was absolute shit. Never seen a tire fire quite like it.

It'll be better if we don't compare DMC's marketing to RE which could result on us set our exceptions too high. I still remember waiting for any sort of info on DmC while RE6 got a playable demo and a big blow-out.

That was a different era and both games were coming out within a few months of each other. RE7, SFV, DR4 are out of the way, and MVC:I already got announced. I wouldn't be surprised if they go all out with DMC5. It's a top 5 selling franchise for them so they know it has potential to sell well if they play their cards right.

Man, that nine month wait from TGS 2010 to E3 2011 was hell. The fanbase was tearing itself apart, people became set in their opinions before any new info came out, and the PR was absolute shit. Never seen a tire fire quite like it.
Oh yeah, and even after E3 the trailer that they showed just raised more concern. It was the one with environmental finishers and such and then they went to silent mode once more.

The wait for DmC was really awful.

That was a different era and both games were coming out within a few months of each other. RE7, SFV, DR4 are out of the way, and MVC:I already got announced. I wouldn't be surprised if they go all out with DMC5. It's a top 5 selling franchise for them so they know it has potential to sell well if they play their cards right.
They haven't done anything like that for DMC series, so while it's definitely possible, I'm not gonna get my hopes up. Them not even acknowledging the series 15th anniversary last year does not give me tons of confidence that they've changed their view on the series either.

I viewed the anniversary thing as them just wanting to stay quiet until they announced something new. It's not like it matters that much. I honestly don't care about being disappointed with the marketing as long as I get the game soon and it's good.

I know it's extremely unrealistic, but I'm hoping that we won't feel any major disappointment with this game in any regard. Like one or two year after release I don't want to be able to say "yeah, the game was great but they shouldn't have done this thing with it" or "the game was amazing but marketing did it disservice" or "it was good but I wish they had not made these things into DLCs", etc.

I know it's extremely unrealistic, but I'm hoping that we won't feel any major disappointment with this game in any regard. Like one or two year after release I don't want to be able to say "yeah, the game was great but they shouldn't have done this thing with it" or "the game was amazing but marketing did it disservice" or "it was good but I wish they had not made these things into DLCs", etc.

That's really the main reason why I defended all the crazy style switching stuff with Dante because I already assume that they're adding a bunch of new stuff, but I don't want them to have this detached from reality outlook on the combat system and other things about the game. There was never this huge thing wrong with the original stuff to be extremely critical of. 4 just had a poor campaign and lack of content.

That's really the main reason why I defended all the crazy style switching stuff with Dante because I already assume that they're adding a bunch of new stuff, but I don't want them to have this detached from reality outlook on the combat system and other things about the game. There was never this huge thing wrong with the original stuff to be extremely critical of. 4 just had a poor campaign and lack of content.
And honestly those are pretty big issues. I gave DMC4 a pass cause I love the series but I'm really harsh against these stuff in other games. Especially the lack of (meaningful) content is something that I can't tolerate in games. And DMC5 will be no different. After a decade, they have to give us something satisfying on all fronts.

And honestly those are pretty big issues. I gave DMC4 a pass cause I love the series but I'm really harsh against these stuff in other games. Especially the lack of (meaningful) content is something that I can't tolerate in games. And DMC5 will be no different. After a decade, they have to give us something satisfying.

Yeah they are pretty big. I didn't like DMC4 when it first came out, but I went back to it around 2013 and my outlook on the game did a complete 180 once I started focusing on just the combat and nothing else.

Dahbomb

Disappointments will be had. The longer a game is in hiatus, the loftier the expectations get.

Remember that if the game has been in development for a couple of years, the team is probably going to be missing out on the innovations made within the past couple of years. So stuff like Dark Souls 3/Nioh/Nier probably won't be making their mark on the game.

Disappointments will be had. The longer a game is in hiatus, the loftier the expectations get.

Remember that if the game has been in development for a couple of years, the team is probably going to be missing out on the innovations made within the past couple of years. So stuff like Dark Souls 3/Nioh/Nier probably won't be making their mark on the game.

True, but they did Dragon's Dogma so they're probably fully aware of the ARPG stuff even if it may not be specific stuff from the games you mentioned.

And while they missed Dark Souls 3 and Nioh, the Soulsborne popularity happened before they had started working on the game so hopefully they'll take some cues from those games in terms of level design and boss encounters.

All I know is that I don't want DMC 4 Redux. It HAS to be a full campaign, it NEEDS both Nero with greatly expanded mechanics and a fully fledged Dante, it has to measure up to Bayonetta, and they need a steady stream of post-release content (old weapons, new characters, more story). DMC 4 was so ripe for expanded content and yet nothing was done until SE eight years later. Make Nero's connection to Vergil confirmed, DO NOT BRING SPARDA INTO THIS, set the foundation for a DMC 5/6/expanded universe, and hire some writers like they did for RE 7 but keep Langon's input (since we've come to find that he's a major factor in the way Devil May Cry 3/4 Dante ended up).

Treat it like a expanding franchise nearing the mainstream, which is exactly what it goddamn was until DmC.

Dahbomb

If they are going to put Sparda in this then put Sparda in it.

I want to lay hands on Sparda and him to be the hardest boss in DMC history (optional of course, can't get the casuals crying over a near impossible boss).

Sparda bout to be like Rodin in Bayonetta 2 with two forms in one battle and the ability to do a raging demon and take your bar lol. Took me forever to beat him

Bringing Sparda as an optional boss is fine in my opinion. But I really don't want another "POWER OF SPARDA!!!!" plotline. They did it in DMC 3 and 4, I would rather DMC 5 not be that. So I guess I'm more with "Don't recycle plotlines" rather than "you can't have Sparda". If they would have Sparda actually show up and do stuff, I'd be down for that. I just don't want "I found a piece of Sparda/am taking his power".

Dahbomb

Obviously the next power McGuffin is to go beyond Sparda power level.

Vergil: "And THIS is to go .... EVEN FURTHER BEYOND!"

You guys know everyone would get hyped if a moment like that happened in a DMC game. Sparda left beyond like haters in SFV.

I think Sparda as an optional ultra-hard superboss (I'm thinking a cross between Vergil 3 and the somewhat-less-polished DMC4 boss fight with Dante, plus crazy-huge hitboxes like when Dante super-DTs in DMC1) makes tons of sense but yeah, the story absolutely shouldn't be about someone trying to claim his power yet again.

Golnei

A hypothetical Sparda boss or sidestory would be perfect for a DLC expansion, with the main game going off on its own direction.

If they do some sort of universe/mythos-broadening move to allow room for more powerful antagonists, I'm cool with just enough Sparda talk to properly contextualize the conflict between him and Mundus within whatever the larger order of things is. It just needs to come along with making it clear that the power of Sparda is no longer some sort of trump card.

Top Bottom