• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Fire Emblem DLC announced

NeonZ

Fire Emblem Kakusei's "Spirit Talisman" paid DLCs focused on redesigned guest characters from previous games and maps about facing or helping heroes and villains from previous stories, ending with Ike's map, which allowed the player to face a combined force of heroes and villains from previous Fire Emblems and get Ike from FE:path of Radiance and a new skill with their victory. in addition, there were also monster maps which focused on the player facing monsters and getting easy experience, money and even legendary weapons. However, even after the "last" Talisman map, the DLC is seemingly continuing further, now in a completely new direction.

A New DLC set has been announced, "Path of the Grandmaster". They don't focus on guests this time, but on new features to the game itself, like extremely hard maps, more character interaction, fanservice outfits and also a new side story.

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/3ds/afej/dlc/index.html
http://www.nintendo.co.jp/3ds/afej/dlc/dlc_0809.html
http://www.nintendo.co.jp/3ds/afej/movie/index.html (video - contains some spoilers for the main campaign. Thanks for pointing it out Gunloc)

They're divided in three categories:

4 "Ultimate Training" maps, placing your team in new and pressing scenarios, like enemies with stats reaching the 70s. The first one is "Border between Life and Death", which features a special condition that reduces your party members to 1 HP at the start of each turn.

3 "Otherworld Resort" maps (beach, hotsprings and festival) that add more character interaction and dialogue to the game, featuring over 200 new conversations and new music. First map is "Haverst of Bonds", focusing on conversations between same gender characters(something lacking for some characters in the main game, since the supports mainly focus on giving as many opposite gender pairings as possible due to the generation system). It takes place in a festival and the site says that it's appropriate to low level characters. The promo picture for the new DLC set shows Mariabell and Lukina in bikinis, and Liz, sister of the protagonist Krom, in a maid outfit and those are likely tied to these maps too.

And finally, "Future of Despair", with an unknown number of maps, is in development and follows the battles of the second generation characters in the future timeline of the game.

Ken

A New DLC set has been announced, "Path of the Grandmaster". They don't focus on guests this time, but on new features to the game itself, like extremely hard maps, more character interaction, fanservice outfits and also a new side story.

Hellooo.

StayDead

Definately getting the one set at the festival/hot springs.

Saying that though I still haven't got any of the others I wanted, may have to pick them up when I get my money into my account.

RPGCrazied

Can't wait for this game, should look glorious on my soon to have XL. This is coming out next year for NA, right?

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
With all the DLC this more and more seem like the ultimate FE game.

Gradivus

Well, it's DLC so you have the option not to partake.

But this game has slow motion sparkly kissing scenes, this is the obvious next step.

I'll still buy the DLC, just don't want FE to go down this track for future instalments (starts off small in one game, then get better and better latter on).

NeonZ

Did they say next year? Maybe I should have picked up an import copy locally when I had the chance.

2013 was mentioned during the Nintendo Direct 'announcement'.

Is this an all new story, or a prequel / sequel to any of the games? Haven't really been following it.

It takes place 2000 years after Shadow Dragon, and also has some times to FE 4 and even Path of Radiance, but it's mostly standalone as far as the main story goes - there's only one returning character from Shadow Dragon. Outside of the main story though, it has many ties to previous FE games, like 120 bonus characters from previous FEs and the initial DLC set which was mostly focused on crossovers with previous Fire Emblems and redesigned versions of the lords from previous games.

Gradivus

Speaking of which, its released this upcoming Thursday. I better nag my Japanese friends to get me some DLC points for downloading.

I'll still buy the DLC, just don't want FE to go down this track for future instalments (starts off small in one game, then get better and better latter on).
Well, I imagine the DLC has been profitable for Nintendo since they are bringing out a second round. And in a series that focuses so much on character interaction, I'm not surprised to see these popular RPG tropes making their way in. (Hot springs, swimsuits, festivals, etc.)

I suspect we'll see a lot more of this type of content, and as long as it's handled correctly, I don't mind at all.

Gradivus

Well, I imagine the DLC has been profitable for Nintendo since they are bringing out a second round. And in a series that focuses so much on character interaction, I'm not surprised to see these popular RPG tropes making their way in.

I suspect we'll see a lot more of this type of content, and as long as it's handled correctly, I don't mind at all.

Yeah, I've read some of the Japanese forums and such going on about how the DLC is a pretty big hit for FE (which is good, more profit = higher profile games for later). If it is handled correctly, I wouldn't have too much a problem with it. Just can't tell right away if that will happen or not, I'll just have to find out on Thursday.

How much DLC is out now, and how much would it cost if you converted it to USD?

All of the DLC = over 4,800 yen (not sure on the exact amount. FE Kakusei = 4,800 yen or so. Pretty much buying all the DLC means you bought another FE game.

Tenki

4hyzA.jpg

Party hard.

The amount of DLC for this game is getting ridiculous. Even tho I have this game and I'm playing it at the moment, but no way in hell, I will support this.

The amount of DLC for this game is getting ridiculous. Even tho I have this game and I'm playing it at the moment, but no way in hell, I will support this.

No one is asking you to. No one is forced, or coerced, to buy all the DLC for this game, unless they so choose. Congrats on having self-control.

No one is asking you to. No one is forced, or coerced, to buy all the DLC for this game, unless they so choose. Congrats on having self-control.
I'm just surprised how MUCH dlc Nintendo is pushing for this game. I was actually expecting some dlc content for a reasonable price, but this is a joke at this point. It feels already like you're missing out on something if you don't buy it. I love the game, but I hate Nintendo's decision here.

Somnid

I'm just surprised how MUCH dlc Nintendo is pushing for this game. I was actually expecting some dlc content for a reasonable price, but this is a joke at this point. It feels already like you're missing out on something if you don't buy it. I love the game, but I hate Nintendo's decision here.

So because they're doing a good job supporting the game with DLC you hate them?

vareon

Of course you're missing out something, that's why it's additional content. But the game without DLC is very much a finished package (and I guess more or less the same amount of content with the previous games). There is no way we're hoping that they would release so much post-release content for free.

I do not understand how this is a bad thing? It is not like Nintendo locked this stuff away and you're paying for something already there, but Nintendo and Intelligent Systems are actually expanding the game, which is what I thought proper DLC was about, and somehow that is a bad thing? Everyone expected Intelligent Systems to be offering up DLC maps, but apparently because they have miniature story arcs attached to them it's unacceptable?

I'm sorry, in no way does this make sense to me. Maybe you don't have or don't want to spend the money. Fine, but Nintendo is not doing anything wrong by actually doing what many of us have wanted them to do for years now. Expand one of their flagship titles.

NeonZ

Wait what?

One of the new DLC packs focuses on that stuff. There's a festival map releasing soon and later there's going to be a beach and a hotsprings maps. The main point of these maps is to add extra conversations/interactions between the various characters, beyond the initial support options.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
One of the new DLC packs focuses on that stuff. There's a festival map releasing soon and later there's going to be a beach and a hotsprings maps. The main point of these maps is to add extra conversations/interactions between the various characters, beyond the initial support options.

Right, I got that, the "wait what" was in reference to hotsprings and beach scenes being RPG tropes

watershed

Banned
I wonder if Nintendo will ever tell us how profitable the DLC for this game has been? I hope so. Its the most expansive DLC they've done to date.

NeonZ

Right, I got that, the "wait what" was in reference to hotsprings and beach scenes being RPG tropes

Well, at least beach scenes seem to be a "Tales of" cliche by now. Atlhough, now that you mention it, I can't think about many examples of hotsprings in games, that's more an anime cliche.

I wonder if Nintendo will ever tell us how profitable the DLC for this game has been? I hope so. Its the most expansive DLC they've done to date.

New DLC seems to have more new models (No new player classes shown in the video or pictures yet, but several of the monsters shown in the video seem to have new classes) and artwork than the original one. It also has new themes (while the previous one only had bgm's from the previous games), so it likely did well.

Taruranto

Yes, but think is a Fire Emblem, it's kinda... i mean...

Kokonoe

Banned

I wish Mario Kart 7 could have gotten this DLC, I'd like to play as more characters and obtain more parts. I'd even purchase an all unlock option.

I wonder what this means for Pokemon?

NeonZ

Well, it means future event Pokemon won't be leaked years before their official reveal. I don't think they'll be selling event Pokemon by themselves, but I guess they could justify "selling" Pokemon if they come alongside new single player quests or some other new content... With FE, they haven't cut any features from the game and turned it into paid DLC (and I'm not just talking about locked content. Awakening by itself, without any DLC, doesn't lack features compared to previous games, and, in fact, has many features from past games added together). They seem to be trying to make the DLC stand out quite a bit from the main game in several ways. Considering how it seems to be working so far, hopefully they'll keep this approach for future games.

All of the DLC = over 4,800 yen (not sure on the exact amount. FE Kakusei = 4,800 yen or so. Pretty much buying all the DLC means you bought another FE game.
That's what usually irks me about DLC (not FE specific): the price/content ratio is terrible compared to that of the game itself, in the sense that a DLC that is for example 1/10 of the price of the game rarely amounts to 1/10 of the content of the game.
Games with tons of DLC only make that all the more apparent.

Well, it means future event Pokemon won't be leaked years before their official reveal. I don't think they'll be selling event Pokemons, but I guess they could justify "selling" Pokemon if they come alongside new single player quests or some other new content...

I don't think they'd have to justify anything, just as they don't have to justify this fan service content in Fire Emblem. I always felt their aloof stance towards DLC in the past was more about them not seeing the financial point of it, rather than any sort of ideological position (why sell Wii Fit Plus as DLC when you can put it in a box and charge another $50 for it?). I think they're only just realising that with DLC they can sell less content for a greater price, and that it won't dampen peoples hype for a sequel at all.

Somnid

I wish Mario Kart 7 could have gotten this DLC, I'd like to play as more characters and obtain more parts. I'd even purchase an all unlock option.

They won't sell Pokemon themselves as DLC. But I could see them using DLC unlocked areas that allow players to catch classic or otherwise rarer Pokemon. I doubt they'd ever make you pay to catch them all, just to make it easier.

Also it means people can't decompile the game and find all the promo Pokemon before they're announced because they won't need to ship on the cart.

That's what usually irks me about DLC (not FE specific): the price/content ratio is terrible compared to that of the game itself, in the sense that a DLC that is for example 1/10 of the price of the game rarely amounts to 1/10 of the content of the game.
Games with tons of DLC only make that all the more apparent.

It's the nature of the way it's bought and sold. It's a la carte so you don't pay for what you don't want. It's also developed in independent units so overhead is higher. Better bundling strategies are probably needed but it's not an issue of DLC itself but just the nature of bulk discounts in general.

I don't think they'd have to justify anything, just as they don't have to justify this fan service content in Fire Emblem. I always felt their aloof stance towards DLC in the past was more about them not seeing the financial point of it, rather than any sort of ideological position (why sell Wii Fit Plus as DLC when you can put it in a box and charge another $50 for it?). I think they're only just realising that with DLC they can sell less content for a greater price, and that it won't dampen peoples hype for a sequel at all.

I would bet money FE does not get another 3DS game. They evergreen'd it.

Also Wii Fit Plus was $20.

Foffy

Banned
Including these two packs it's 5,600 yen for 17 dlc packs, which is around 70$, lulz.

Jesus fuck. I'd be getting about three 3DS games if I bought this and all the DLC? Or do DLC prices change differently between JP and NA releases?

StayDead

The reason why I'm happy to support this kind of DLC is rather simple.

Firstly, the content wasn't cut from the game to begin with. The main content of the game alone takes a long, enjoyable time to finish and I've played for about 40 hours (not all that much) but I've still got tons and tons to do, so many conversations to see and so many of the spotpass levels to still do (got distracted by Rune Factory 4 and Etrian Oddesy 4)

Secondly, they're adding stuff to extend the life of an already great game. The prices are not that unreasonable and only 4-5 of the DLCs actually have a DLC Storyline to them (the ones with the returning characters).

Thirdly, if this DLC is going to have more conversations between the characters I love (seriously, they're all awesome). Then I'm all for it. I can easily skip out the Mummy tomb DLC and stuff like that, I'm just going to grab all the character DLC and also this new one.

Top Bottom