• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Thread - Now in HD!

Status
Not open for further replies.
if they are trying to lock in Wii Motion Plus as standard for WiiU I guess it could be a pack-in to make sure people are not using the old ones... I still only have my original wiimote

MegalonJJ

Banned
Well that is the crux of my problem...The install base of people with HDMI switching receivers is like probably a few percent while just about everyone who has a home stereo purchased in the last 10-15 years has some form of S/PDIF connector. All to save Nintendo a few bucks on a licensing fee and 20 cents of hardware lol.

For a lot of people you plug your HDMI cable from your console into your TV and thats it. Most TVs aren't equipped to handle 5.1 sound. So I suspect that most of the WiiU userbase will be 2.0 stereo. Thats a shame. I am not so rich that I would upgrade my stereo but I love surround in games.

That's unfortunate chap.

I was pretty lucky in this regard in that I bought my receiver in 2010 and all the receivers had HDMI inputs (even the lower end ones), but I agree that Nintendo should have an optical out. Perhaps they'll release a special type of cable like Mircosoft did for the 360, or maybe a third party manufacturer might.

RAWi

I'd be very surprised if WiiU games don't work with the standard Wiimotes.

I mean, I wouldn't be surprised if third parties excludes it, but I think Nintendo will maintain compatibility with their first party titles if the Wiimote can be used properly with X game.

Wasn't NSMBU compatible to begin with?

Yes. But, I think that they were WiimotePlus controllers.

Question to anyone that already had experience playing NSMB-U on the Wii U (E3 or Tours), did you notice if the Wiimotes you held were [Wiimotes] or [WiimotesPlus]?

jerd

"Also, for those who did not know, one of the Nintendo representatives that were on hand said the old Wii controllers will not be usable on Wii U. They look and play the exact same, but they are not compatible with the Wii U system."

wat

I'm guessing that means Wii controllers without Wii Motion Plus?

"Yeah okay."

No way in holy hell that's true.

Etc.

Absolutely false.

Straight from Nintendo's E3 website:

The Wii U console is capable of supporting two Wii U GamePad controllers, up to four Wii Remote (or Wii Remote Plus) controllers or Wii U Pro Controllers, and Wii accessories such as the Nunchuk, Classic Controller and Wii Balance Board.

http://e3.nintendo.com/wiiu/

It has been confirmed a while ago that Wii U games, which require the Wii controllers, will have to be equipped with Motion+. If you want to simply browse the Wii U or play a backwards compatible Wii game, you just need the Wii controller, Motion+ or not.

Medalion

Banned
WiiUTangClan1.jpg

Father forgive me for where this came from

jerd

It has been confirmed a while ago that Wii U games, which require the Wii controllers, will have to be equipped with Motion+. If you want to simply browse the Wii U or play a backwards compatible Wii game, you just need the Wii controller, Motion+ or not.

I don't remember hearing this. Do you have a link? There are just some games in which Motion+ is not necessary so that's pretty lame if true.

jerd

I think the question goes more for the...

Are Wii U games, that support Wiimote usage (like NSMBU), compatible with Wiimote (normal one) and/or with WiimotePlus? Does games like NSMBU are compatible with the normal Wiimote?

That's the thing, it says "(or Motion Plus)" in parentheses, as if it were secondary. It seems absolutely silly for a game like NSMBU to require a Motion+ when it isn't necessary. Besides, I'm to the point where I do not trust "representatives" as that seems to be a very broad term, and they are often wrong.

Arla

Are you guys serious? All Wii remotes are confirmed to work on the Wii U? Why is it even a question? If a Wii U games supports the Wii Remote it will definitely support the original and WM+ no just WM+. Come on...

Hiltz

Lesson of the day: Never trust the word of a Nintendo rep.

Nintendo rep: This is Nintendo's next home console, the Wii.

Gamer: It's actually called the Wii U.

Nintendo rep: No sir, you are mistaken. It's just Wii.

Gamer: But Nintendo said...

Nintendo rep: Sir, why would Nintendo call a game console Wii U ?That's just stupid to have an extra letter there. It doesn't make any sense.

Gamer: But the logo is right there on the controller. There's even a sign behind you that says it too.

Nintendo rep: Sir, I think I would know what product I am showing off. Nintendo did hire me because of my expertise.

Gamer: Whatever.

Nintendo rep: Anyway, the Wii is now HD.

RAWi

That's the thing, it says "(or Motion Plus)" in parentheses, as if it were secondary. It seems absolutely silly for a game like NSMBU to require a Motion+ when it isn't necessary. Besides, I'm to the point where I do not trust "representatives" as that seems to be a very broad term, and they are often wrong.

Yup. It says that, however I think it means that the Wii U, as a system, is compatible with those controllers, so you can still play your Wii games normaly. But, it doesn't state anything about the games, which surely will be stated on the games' boxes, on the backside.

For example, Pikmin 3 is only compatible with WiimotePlus (or MotionPlus) but not with the Wiimote (without MotionPlus).

I'm sure that future games, the Wii U games will only be compatible with the WiimotePlus. Just a guess.

ultrazilla

Day 1!

New Super Mario Brothers U will be available at launch, right?

I'm especially excited about indie games via the eshop. I need me
some tower defense games that would go great with the pad!

Oh and Minecraft thanks!

jerd

Yup. It says that, however I think it means that the Wii U, as a system, is compatible with those controllers, so you can still play your Wii games normaly. But, it doesn't state anything about the games, which surely will be stated on the games' boxes, on the backside.

For example, Pikmin 3 is only compatible with WiimotePlus (or MotionPlus) but not with the Wiimote (without MotionPlus).

I'm sure that future games, the Wii U games will only be compatible with the WiimotePlus. Just a guess.

Oh Lawdy my entire outlook on life has now changed!! I do apologize and I might be needing to pick up some Motion+ attachments.

Nintendo's Wii U console will not support original models of the Wii controller without a MotionPlus attachment, according to comments made by Shigeru Miyamoto.
Chatter in the latest edition of Iwata Asks, suggests either the 2009-released add-on or the 2010 Remote Plus all-in-one model will be required for Wii U play.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-06-08-will-wii-u-support-original-wiimote

I still find it very peculiar that Nintendo has it written like that on their website, and that it would be necessary in games which allow you to hold the controller sideways NES style, but it looks like we have more confirmation of Motion+ being necessary than we have of it not... so... Damn.

Edit: You are all allowed exactly 1 "I told you so".

RAWi

Nintendo rep: Sir, why would Nintendo call a game console Wii U ?That's just stupid to have an extra letter there. It doesn't make any sense.

Gamer: But the logo is right there on the controller. There's even a sign behind you. Whatever.

Nintendo rep: Sir, I think I would the name of the console. Nintendo did hire me because of my expertise.

Hahaha. Sad side of the story... is that everything is true xD.

Terrell

I see that now we're back with the general population, the thread explodes with activity. It's a shame that a lot of it is repetition, though, I quite liked being able to browse the thread in under an hour.

From today's conversations with a Nintendo rep, Pikmin 3 is not a launch game. Their focus is on Nintendoland, New SMB U, Ninja Gaiden 3, and hopefully Lego City (could slip). All will be revealed on Sept 13 but if I had to guess, Pikmin 3 may be a spring title. This gels with current marketing showing up in stores - no sign of Pikmin 3.

Medalion

Banned

Gamer: But the logo is right there on the controller. There's even a sign behind you that says it too.

Nintendo rep: Sir, I think I would know what product I am showing off. Nintendo did hire me because of my expertise.

Did they hire Mr.Caffeine or something?

From today's conversations with a Nintendo rep, Pikmin 3 is not a launch game. Their focus is on Nintendoland, New SMB U, Ninja Gaiden 3, and hopefully Lego City (could slip). All will be revealed on Sept 13 but if I had to guess, Pikmin 3 may be a spring title. This gels with current marketing showing up in stores - no sign of Pikmin 3.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooooooooooo.......................

No biggie. Still plenty of launch goodness.

Bah, of course this was how it was going to go down. Given the choice between the massively selling NSMB and a Wii Sports like franchise at launch, or a series that hadn't had an instalment in 8 years, which would you pick?

Anth0ny

As expected.

But it still hurts. Spring? ouch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom