• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy III (DS, iOS) coming to PSP

Aeana

I wuved the art of the 3D one. Even bought the mini-figure Arts line.

DS hardware's representation of it though was a mixed bag.

How was the IOS port from a techinical perspective IE: framerate, resolution, etc.?
Framerate is much better, resolution is higher. It's a great port for one that doesn't use any buttons.

sat0sh1

Neo Member
it's out on the singapore store.

Chinese, Traditional / English / Japanese

it's $23 SGD which is quite decent. Final Fantasy IV is S$32.99.

I played the DS version back in 2oo6, which I still can't believe it was that long ago. I've just completed FF1 and FF2 and wondering which one to do next out of III or IV. I love the 2D graphics of the early ones, but going back to FFIII would be all lovely and flowery and maybe it won't drop frames like before.

Mael

But is it true that FFIII is at the core a very mediocre RPG, something I read on some places on the internet?

In the same way that FFI and all the RPG on NES were...so not at all actually.
It's basically the step between FFI and FFV in term of battle system.
The music is legendary and the scale was unrivaled at the time.
Seriously it's great.

In the same way that FFI and all the RPG on NES were...so not at all actually.
It's basically the step between FFI and FFV in term of battle system.
The music is legendary and the scale was unrivaled at the time.
Seriously it's great.

Ah I already thought so. Thanks for the info. I think I will really like it, just as I really enjoyed FFII. And I really dig a job system, I even think I enjoyed FFV more than FFVI and FFVII.

FFV is such an underrated game imho.

sat0sh1

Neo Member
So I bought it over the weekend, I've put a few hours in now so I thought I'd just post how I feel about it.

I've played this before on the DS, the PSP is slightly nicer, benefits:

o The 16:9 really makes a big difference. Although a little funny without the other screen (although I am damned if I remember if it did anything useful). The DS version now feels a little squished, where there's enough room for the battles - with a good distance between team and bad people.

o The chip music - although I love chip music (I also chip music myself) the DS music is lovely and the chip music is really a downgrade. It would have been good to have chipized remixes or something, the chip music versions sound a little flat.

o Framerate - it doesn't choke like it used to on DS, in fact, the resolution makes it looks very high rez, I think that some of the textures dont' look so muddy (or upgraded).

o Auto Battle - THIS, the reason to own this version. Although not as good as the "hold the button down and do what we did last time" on Final Fantasy I+II PSP, the auto battle is great, switch on/off with Select. Annoyingly, you still need to press circle when on the results screen (obtained 2 gill, received 2 EXP! Job increase etc).

So there you go. I played FFIII when it came out on DS so it's great to play this again.

hongcha

I'm really enjoying the psp version too. I have it on my ipad as well, and while it looks a lot nicer on the ipad, playing the game with real controls is so much better that I've decided to restart the game and play through on the psp (I played about 5 hours on the ipad version). I would have bought this digitally and played it on my Vita, but I refuse to pay $40+ for DD versions of games. It really should be the same price as on the apple store.

Takao

Banned
I'm really enjoying the psp version too. I have it on my ipad as well, and while it looks a lot nicer on the ipad, playing the game with real controls is so much better that I've decided to restart the game and play through on the psp (I played about 5 hours on the ipad version). I would have bought this digitally and played it on my Vita, but I refuse to pay $40+ for DD versions of games. It really should be the same price as on the apple store.

It's $20 on the North American PSN store.

Aeana

o The chip music - although I love chip music (I also chip music myself) the DS music is lovely and the chip music is really a downgrade. It would have been good to have chipized remixes or something, the chip music versions sound a little flat.

I definitely don't agree with this. Many of the arrangements in the DS version are way too brass-heavy. Strangely, by contrast, the arrangements of the final area songs are entirely too unassertive. I'll always prefer the original music.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
I definitely don't agree with this. Many of the arrangements in the DS version are way too brass-heavy. Strangely, by contrast, the arrangements of the final area songs are entirely too unassertive. I'll always prefer the original music.

NES music of FF3 is far superior then the DS version IMO.

Top Bottom