• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BrazilGAF |OT| of Samba, Carnaval... and letting GAF have a sample of it all!

LuuKyK

7E6KH.png

Yes. Guess what. This thread is about Brazil. So lets talk about samba, carnaval, and... WAIT.

No seriously, did you really think that's the only thing Brazil has to offer? Well, I am sorry to disappoint you, but that's not really true. Actually that's the purpose of this thread. If you want to talk about the most recent news involving the country feel free. Want to know where to go/ what to visit as you are planning your trip/vacation? Ask us, BrazilGAF is bigger than you think, and I am pretty sure everyone here is willing to help you.​

yRaCY.png

Here I am only going to mention the most visited places. If you want to add a place just post and I will add it. If you want to know more about anything here, as I said before, just ask.

Before we go through all these awesome locals, I would like to say something. People seem to think that Brazil is an homogenic country. Be prepared because it's totaly the opposite. I would "divide the country" in five, this way it would be better for you all to understand. It is better divided as: 1) Southeast; 2) South; 3)Center; 4) Northeast; and 5) North; (random order) It is clearly more complicated than that, but basically each of these areas has its own climate (yes there are places in Brazil that are cold, it even snows here, yeah), nature, etc... And it applies to the people that live there too but that will be discussed later in this thread.

That been mentioned, it is now easier for you to follow as where each of these places are, since you can just look at the our map (just google it) and you can at least have an idea of its position.​

1) SOUTHEAST

A) Rio de Janeiro: Well, we better start with our most famous city, right? Rio really is one of the most beautiful places in the world, I can tell you that without any bias. Any vista there makes you drool (even the slums have their charm - but yeah its a terrible and dangerous place to live, even if it is more controlled nowadays). I don't live in Rio, and I only visited it twice, so I can't really point out every single aspect of it. But the most visited places clearly are the Cristo Redentor, the Pao de Açúcar, the Maracanã Stadium and the Copacabana Beach.

Before we move on to the next main city, I would like to talk specificaly about the Caranaval, since it takes place on Rio. First of all, yeah, it IS like an weekend for us, but be aware that NOT ALL people like it, some even hate it. Second, samba is our main dance, but NOT ALL people here know how to "sambar". Still on Rio it really is a competition since each Carnaval School is based on one "district" of the city, so it has a grate rivalry involved. As to how it works, basically each School is divided into parts and there are judges that judge different parts. After two days, the scores are announced live on TV and there is a champion and two schools go to a "second division" (not sure if that's the word). At the same time two schools from the second division are promoted to the main division. Carnaval actually is composed by a lot of celebrities. The most important ones are the girls that lead the drums (again, sorry if thats not the correct word), they are called the Drums' Queens (Rainhas de Bateria). Each school has one, and they are not there forever, they can be changed whenever the school wants. They are basicaly there to cheer the crowd and make us... yeah. I am a nice man and left this part only for them, so enjoy.​

Krkn6.png

These are only four of them, there are a lot more. In case you are interested in their names, from left to right: Ana Hickmann, Grazi Massafera, Sabrina Sato and Paola Oliveira. Also, those are SFW, if you want more just google their names with carnaval at the end and have fun.​

B) São Paulo: This is our NYC. It is enourmous and has a bad (and I mean bad) traffic. It is our economic center, it receives all the big concerts, presentations, and has the biggest museums. I am really sorry, but I have no specific recommendations to do here since I only went there once. Paulistas, help me!

C) Minas Gerais: It has an amazing quantity of cultural and historical places to visit. Recommendations needed.​

2) SOUTH​

A) Curitiba: Known for its public transport system copied by other countries and its european colonization. The coldest brazilian capital. It is also the closest capital to the Iguaçu Falls (Cataratas do Iguaçu). Do a favor to yourself and visit it. It also has the station that will take you to Morretes, a very nice place.

B) Florianópolis: Island known for its beautiful beaches and awesome food. Probably one of the most beautiful places to go during your vacation. It is not so cold here.

C) Gramado/Porto Alegre: The former is not the capital (the later is), but I feel like Gramado is a nicer place to visit if you are a tourist even if Porto Alegre is a nice city. It is cold here too.​

3) CENTER​

A) Brasília: The national capital. Our political center. The city was built to be one, so there is not much to see here I think, besides some monuments and the political buildings.

B) Bonito: This place is localized in the Mato Grosso do Sul state, and is one of the most beautiful places in here. It has awesome caves. It is natural tourism, yeah.​

4) NORTHEAST​

The northeast has the most amazing beaches in the country, it is hot as hell and I don't feel like discribing them all, as there are thousands of awesome little beaches lost there. If you want to know specific information just ask. Some famous places though, are Salvador, Olinda and Natal.​

5) NORTH​

A) Amazônia: basically that's the most interesting place to visit when going there. Never went, so I can't really tell, but I guess everyone know what to expect when going to the region. As a side note, it's needed to add that this (and all the places mentioned in this section of the thread) have all kinds of touristic structure, so don't be afraid. It would be nice to look into it some time before going to them though, as always.​

XvMJJ.png

I actually created this section with the brazilian population in mind. I mean, people here are from the most different places and have mixed ancestry. The behavior of people around here varies a lot, as a clear consequence.

People from the Northeast and Southeast are more open and expansive. As the ones from the South are more introspective and quiet. Those were little details I found it was interesting to share in case you ever visit the country. Those are not the only interesting ones though. People from the south hate the heat in general and don't know how to dance samba, and almost everyone hates caranval. The opposite of that is probably the common to the rest of the country. The northeast actually has its own Carnaval, thats totally diferent than the Rio and Sao Paulo ones (yes, São Paulo has one too), as it takes place in the streets and not on the Sambodromo.

I also wanted to take some time to talk about our most famous personalities. Our most recent president is the first female president of Brazil, Dilma Rouseff. Note that it's my own opinion now, but I think it's interesting to share that Dilma is like an Lula ally, as they are from the same entourage (?), and for me they will keep on changing the president role as long as they keep on having this huge support they have. I personally don't like her or Lula, but oh well... they seem to be doing a good work as of now, so I can't really complain.

Pelé is better than Maradona, deal with it Argentinians
:p

One of the most famous architects of the world still alive is Oscar Niemayer. He lives in Rio iirc. He designed buildings for Brasilia (our capital) and a lot of buildings all over Brazil.

Faustão is like our Oprah, but he is annoying as fuck and everyone hates him. (lol felt like adding him here as he is one of the most famous TV celebrities here). Xuxa is like the most terrible TV present ever, but still kids love her (even I used to love her :( lol), she is fading away now though.

Soap Operas are the most loved TV programs in here. Those SO are sold to be televisioned in coutries like Portugal and Mexico, but I have no idea if they are as sucessful there. The most famous one is called Caminho das Índias and won a Grammy Award.

Carlos Saldanha is basically the creator of the Ice Age films, he was born in Rio.

José Padilha is one of the most promising directors of the last decade (?), as he directed Tropa de Elite 1 and 2, and is now directing the Robocop Reboot.

Talking about sports now, if I would rank the three most famous ones, it will probably be: Soccer > Volleyball > MMA, but MMA is having a huge boost lately with Anderson Silva and Cigano, so it will probably surpass volleyball really soon. Brazilians still love soccer (and always will) but the love for the team sure reached a new low with the latest results, sadly, because we are just about to receive the next World Cup (2014). :/ Talking about 2014, the country is on RUSH mode, because everything is late. lol

Some more: Ayrton Senna, Anderson Silva, Santos Dumont, César Lattes, Machado de Assis, Tarsila do Amaral, Eike Batista, Princess Isabel, Paulo Coelho.​

D6QbM.png

Sooooo, I wasn't going to create this section at first, but actually I though it was an interesting point to add, as there are some awesome dishes here. I will just list them, as I don't have the recipes (yet). Also, you guys feel free to add more of them. Just say.

• Pastel
  • Coxinha
  • Empadão
  • Guaraná
  • Vatapá
  • Barreado
  • Pão-de-Queijo
  • Requeijão
  • Tapioca
  • Brigadeiro
  • Açaí

Guaraná Antártica is actually one of the most famous sodas/refrigerants here. It is really good! They are Coca-Cola's rival. It is made from an exotic fruit that I believe can only be found here.​

J330M.png

A BrazilGAF with a music part without Chico Buarque is UNACEPTABLE !

Construção
Roda Viva
Calice

[/INDENT][/INDENT]

cylGl.png

This section is for future news worth discussing in the thread. A summary will be done here.​

BEM VINDO! :)~​
Special thanks to Mumei, Ezalc and Face it Tiger.. for the help! Thanks guys! :D

OP will be updated really soon with more images and info. Sorry for that.​

LuuKyK

Excellent OP. <3

But needs more pics. Brazil is gorgeous.

I am doing one for each city. But I had some problems while saving them in photoshop. -_- Which means I lost them all in the process. And I don't have much time now. So it will have to wait a bit. I will add them tomorrow probably. x_x

justjohn

Went to a Brazilian steakhouse last night in Putney London. One of the best dining experiences I've ever had.

Great thread by the way. The country really fascinates me.

LuuKyK

Oh GOD. Just saw the thread of the amphibiam. Holy Shit. hahahaha

Bad advice Mumei. I am not adding that creature to this thread! x_x

Went to a Brazilian steakhouse last night in Putney London. One of the best dining experiences I've ever had.

Great thread by the way. The country really fascinates me.

That's nice! I thought about adding places with brazilian food in other countries. Maybe that's a good start? :D

Mr. F

Banned
Oi BrazilGAF, nice to see the thread in all its glory. Born in Canada to Brazilian parents but I've visited a ton over the years to see extended family. Beautiful country, really feels like a second home. Hoping to live there for a few years sometime down the line to get to know it better.

Also thanks OP, now craving Pastel. So good.

LuuKyK

Oi BrazilGAF, nice to see the thread in all its glory. Born in Canada to Brazilian parents but I've visited a ton over the years to see extended family. Beautiful country, really feels like a second home. Hoping to live there for a few years sometime down the line to get to know it better.

Also thanks OP, now craving Pastel. So good.

Which places did you visit?

Also, Pastel is indeed godlike.

Kajiba

One of few places I need to visit before I die on this earth.

Brazil have some beautiful locals and beaches.

Mr. F

Banned
Which places did you visit?

Also, Pastel is indeed godlike.

Mostly around São Paulo. Both my parents grew up in São Caetano, so the majority of my visits are spent there with family at relatives houses. Other than that I've spent a fair bit of time in Águas da Prata where one of my grandmas lives, São Paulo (city), and Guarujá.

Aside from than that I've been to Rio de Janeiro a couple of times, as well as Porto Seguro in Bahia. Great cities all around.

Ezalc

YES! BraSilGAF is go and BrasilGAF is here and reporting! Bem-vindos a todos vagabundos, malandros e marmanjos, jk rsrs. No but, great to see this thread going and I hope we can get some cool meet ups going from this!

Also anybody wanting to visit or otherwise just discuss this incredibly awesome country is more than welcome to ask questions and etc. Just don't post penis-phibian pics please.

Now it's time to party, somebody break out the churrasco, cerveja, and the incredibly sexy people.

mantidor

Colombian living in Rio for more than a year already, and currently looking for a job, because I really don't want to leave. :p

Is there an ayrton senna memorial somewhere?

I saw some advertisements at the metrô, but didn't pay much attention, it looked like some temporary exhibit somewhere. But surely there should be a memorial in at least one city.

harSon

Banned
I plan on visiting within the next year or so. I have friends in Salvador and Sao Paolo, with the latter friend being rich as fuck, so I wouldn't really have to worry about a hotel if I were to visit.

LuuKyK

Guys! Feel free to contribute. Just tell me and I will add new foods, places etc. It feels incomplete because sadly, even if I live here, I've never visited everything (common it's quite impossible to do that :p). People from other states please do, ok?

Also, pics for each city mentioned will be up probably Sunday. I DID run into some problems afterall.

I want to add Fabiana Andrade to brazil gaf :)
Very cool thread :)

Who is she? I feel dumb now for not knowing her. :|

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Congratulations on the Paola pic, LuuKyK. Dat woman.

Sup Brazil-Gaf. You guys need to hook us up with good places to see and chill at when GAF does to Brazil for the WC.

What's the story behind this video (slightly NSFW)? http://youtu.be/CpiEmt5dIr4

Very intelligent marketing.

It is what it seems. They wanted to sell a brand of shampoo, so they put a ridiculously hot chick inside a glass cubicle taking a bath.

mantidor

Sup Brazil-Gaf. You guys need to hook us up with good places to see and chill at when GAF does to Brazil for the WC.

What's the story behind this video (slightly NSFW)? http://youtu.be/CpiEmt5dIr4

Oh this reminds me my pet peeve with you people.

My Brazilian friends, you are awesome and have beyond amazing bodies, why the hell do you ruin them with terrible tattoos? why? Even old people have tattoos, and they are horrible.

IceCold

Congratulations on the Paola pic, LuuKyK. Dat woman.

Very intelligent marketing.

It is what it seems. They wanted to sell a brand of shampoo, so they put a ridiculously hot chick inside a glass cubicle taking a bath.

I would have bought 10 boxes of that shampoo if I was there.

FACE

Banned

My Brazilian friends, you are awesome and have beyond amazing bodies, why the hell do you ruin them with terrible tattoos? why? Even old people have tattoos, and they are horrible.

I have no idea man, even my mom has a tattoo.

:(

Why? I know its lacking, but I promise it will be expanded in the near future!

Niemeyer aside, I dislike everyone you mentioned.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz

I don't have an explanation for this. I guess it's kind of a latino culture thing.

I almost got a tattoo last year too... Haha. Didn't do it, though.

isuzu

Am I the only one from the northeast? Maybe I can make a post about the city I live in (João Pessoa). :D

Top Bottom