• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft told Pachter their E3 focus is on services over games, is this a good idea?

Opiate

Uh, the tv is still the media hub for most people. Between tv ratings and usage stats on stuff like Netflix, we know for a fact the most of the media being consumed is being consumed through a television.

So what, precisely, are people doing with their iPads? Can you provide the statistics? Thanks.

Nothing about this is really suprising though, but it isn't really something that MS only has been pushing though. Sony has equally been pushing the whole multimedia hub aspect, but has been less succesfull for them (often cancelling them or just pushing them aside)

The whole multimedia hub/convergance has been the holy grail for console manufacturers ever since the first console that came with an optical disc drive. It's just this gen is the first time it actually came to fruition fully.

The scary thing for me is these used to be cool value added features, but more and more they seem to be the focus.

Kind of like Opiate said, I anecdotally remember being at a work function a few months ago where a rather old gentleman and his wife were going on and on about a particular show they liked to watch on their Netflix-enabled Wii. To them it was if their Wii was simply a cheap Netflix box. I doubt they even knew why there was even a disc drive.

How is this an intelligent move? Once people realize they are paying for a live sub to use these "apps" which are gimped versions of websites and tools that you can use sans the live subscription fee on your computer/ps3/smartphone, they will stop buying in droves. Games are what are bringing people to the console, not facebook lite.

boingball

For Microsoft it is a good idea (since less than half of the time on 360s are spent with games, trending even further downwards).

For the hivemind (also known as NeoGAF) it is a bad idea.

OverHeat

« generous god »
How is this an intelligent move? Once people realize they are paying for a live sub to use these "apps" which are gimped versions of websites and tools that you can use sans the live subscription fee on your computer/ps3/smartphone, they will stop buying in droves. Call of Duty gamesare what are bringing people to the console, not facebook lite.
Fix ;)

So what, precisely, are people doing with their iPads? Can you provide the statistics? Thanks.

I can see myself use the New Ipad for watching series and movies hell most of my friends who have are seeing movies on their New Ipad.

So yeah i think you're right that tablets are the new media hubs. And it is easier to buy a tablet for your kids then a tv and console im talking space wise.

When you're perceived to be a jack of all trades, it's generally accepted that you're master of none.

You can bet that their competitors are going to be focused on games: Sony undoubtedly pushing the Vita (and perhaps more) and Nintendo the Wii U and 3DS.

Ultimately, it depends on exactly what these services will bring to the table, but for gamers, I can't see this as "a good thing."

GeoramA

I'm looking forward to some actors pretending to really enjoy this stuff. I hope they pan to the audience during these parts of the conference.

Tratorn

Good for MS, bad for gamers.

Well, they still get all multiplattform-games and in us/uk most people will play them there anyways.
Thats why they're going for an "other" audience.

K1ng P3n

Not a big fan of this idea, but if it means that they will concentrate more on next-gen games than I'm all for it. That is a big IF though.

Eusis

Good for MS, bad for gamers.
I really think people need to be more hesitant about "good for MS" here. Unless the next Xbox is WILDLY different (and drops the fee for multimedia) I think there's a strong chance this approach will end catastrophically for them, or at least no where near as well as sticking with games first would've.

Opiate

I can see myself use the New Ipad for watching series and movies hell most of my friends who have are seeing movies on their New Ipad.

So yeah i think you're right that tablets are the new media hubs. And it is easier to buy a tablet for your kids then a tv and console im talking space wise.

Even if you weren't doing this, people seem to equate "media hub" with "watching movies and tv shows."

If I, instead, play games, surf the internet, watch youtube stuff, send an email, then listen to some music, is that not a "media hub?" Not that I'm suggesting people don't use the iPad for Netflix/Movies ever, of course -- I know people do, my parents do -- but I want to make it clear that "media hub" is not as simplistic as "can play games, some TV, and movies." In fact, that's why I feel consoles seem to be so poorly positioned relative to the more successful hubs that Google and Apple have produced; a huge portion of the "media hub" activity consists of things like making phone calls, checking email, listening to music, and browsing the web, all of which consoles are poorly positioned to deliver.

If I, instead, play games, surf the internet, watch youtube stuff, send an email, then listen to some music, is that not a "media hub?" Not that I'm suggesting people don't use the iPad for Netflix/Movies ever, of course -- I know people do, my parents do -- but I want to make it clear that "media hub" is not as simplistic as "can play games, some TV, and movies." In fact, that's why I feel consoles seem to be so poorly positioned relative to the more successful hubs that Google and Apple have produced; a huge portion of the "media hub" activity consists of things like making phone calls, checking email, listening to music, and browsing the web, all of which consoles are poorly positioned to deliver.

Agreed. If I want to check my email or text, I pause the game and just take out my iPhone. There, I can type without using a game controller. Same if I want to check GAF or NPR.

And if I want to listen to music or podcasts, I already have all my stuff on my phone, where I can plug in headphones and get up and take it with me if I want.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Microsoft haven't given a shit about games for years. Their first party output has been dreadful.

Jburton

Banned
MS entered this market to stop Sony owning the living room, they saw the future was a coverged device that is always online that sits under your telly.

They are putting their plan into effect, the gaming machine was a Trojan horse for MS to get a box into your living room.

It is the evolution of WebTV and their grand plan.

Hazanko

Banned
My experiences with the apps on 360 has been terrible. Poor video quality, horrid interface, fees on top of fees, and shit not being available outside the US.

Yeah I'm using netflix on 360 at the moment but it's terrible, how the hell can anyone use this pos? The ps3 version is so much better. Plus you need gold to use it lol!

If elcranky isn't a viral marketer, then he's got a condition.

The fundamental problem with your thesis is that you assume that there is a problem with MS or Live. That is not the problem because there is NO XBL HACK. The problem was all of the gaming forums getting hacked and information stolen combined with weak user password controls. I know for sure as that is what happened to me. I also got a full refund and my account back in less than 30 days.

Hmm, MS has pretty dominated E3 for the last several years including last year.

Absolutely. MS blew away the competition the last several years. If you think differently you weren't paying attention.

There is really very little to argue about. MS clearly dominated the conference in recent years from a corporate strategy view point, which is really the only rational way to judge the conference. I think you are confusing most entertaining or pandering with most effective.

The ESPN app alone is >> than the last several years of Nintendo and Sony conferences.

It is grossly unfair to call the ME use gimmicky. If it works as advertised (early reports say yes), the Kinect will radically change the game play, at least for me. Voice control makes grenades and move commands viable for regular use and greatly expands squad power usage without the wheel.

People need to quit making fun of Too Human. It is the best game in that entire list you provided!

Day 1 xbox
Day never ps4
Never under any circumstances would I ever buy a nintendo product.

It is not lowered expectations. It's about applying the proper criteria. In this case, does the game look fun? Absolutely as a star wars experience for kids and kids at heart. Is it ready for e-sports, obviously not!

I already explicitly stated that Kinect is probably not ready for Jedi Simulation; look for that on Kinect 2.0.

Umm, the streaming services are THE reason for Gold. I don't play MP at ALL and have been happy with gold ever since the entertainment options came along, in fact I didn't have gold until ESPN3 and Netflix.

Practically all of his posting history is freaking out about Microsoft or Mass Effect.

I really think people need to be more hesitant about "good for MS" here. Unless the next Xbox is WILDLY different (and drops the fee for multimedia) I think there's a strong chance this approach will end catastrophically for them, or at least no where near as well as sticking with games first would've.

They're positioning the 360 as an affordable device with lots of entertainment options. When the next Xbox launches, they'll initially give it a strong focus on games, like they did with the 360 at the start of this generation, so they'll have two devices on the market, each desirable to a different demographic. As long as they provide a strong software line-up for Durango, and with all those new studios it seems like a foregone conclusion, gamers will flock to it.

Jburton

Banned
If elcranky isn't a viral marketer, then he's got a condition.

Practically all of his posting history is freaking out about Microsoft or Mass Effect.

He is obviously just a fanboy.

You would hope somebody being payed to be a viral marketer would be a bit more discreet.

Omega

Banned
Yeah I'm using netflix on 360 at the moment but it's terrible, how the hell can anyone use this pos? The ps3 version is so much better. Plus you need gold to use it lol!

Did PS3 get an update? When I used it last year it was terrible and wasn't even HD. On Xbox, it's in HD for me.

I think it's stupid that you need Gold for the apps, Microsoft would be better off making them for free. I know they want to push Gold sales for more profit but to me it just doesn't make sense.

I wouldn't even mind that, if any of those services would actually find their way to Austrian or Italian XBL. So far, even my 3DS has more non gaming services available. Thanks to IP blocking I can't even use the stuff available from my UK gamertag, and I really shouldn't have to set up a proxy just for this shit.

So I'm simply not interested in it. But it was very clear that MS would go in this direction. They've built the 360 into a living room center, and my gut is telling me that that's where they are seeing the most profit with the lowest investment.

Eusis

Did PS3 get an update? When I used it last year it was terrible and wasn't even HD. On Xbox, it's in HD for me.

I think it's stupid that you need Gold for the apps, Microsoft would be better off making them for free. I know they want to push Gold sales for more profit but to me it just doesn't make sense.
I believe it's had some updates, but it seemed to either be in HD or at least LOOK good enough from casual observation.

mclem

My question is, do you feel this is a good idea or not, and why?
I'm okay with it in principle, as long as it has an international outlook. Too often they'll spend a good chunk of their conference talking about stuff that's irrelevant if you're not in the US.

It's generally safe to assume that a featured game will come out in Europe. It's generally safe to assume that a featured service will not come out in Europe.

That's a problem MS conferences often have, things like that which colour the impression of the entire conference. Many MS conferences I come away with the impression that they're 'not for me', they're for Kinect users, or Americans, or sports fans, or FPS fans. I know that's not an accurate assessment of the *console* - I own it and love it - but the conference rarely manages to *portray* that console to me.

derFeef

I totally expect this. They are fading the 360 out this year, with introducing new services that are going to be available on the new xbox too. Anyway, I think it might be a good idea to tease a little bit the next years reveal of the new console.

Mr. B

Not surprising. The Xbox is the only true consumer product Microsoft currently has. They need to leverage their success to all of media, not just games.

Coolwhip

Banned
If they really want to get in all living rooms don't they need to change the name for the next xbox? Xbox just sounds too childish to me.

TheOddOne

hahaha

Sony and Nintendo's first party slates shit on Microsoft's from an unimaginable height. Microsoft isn't interested in game development any more.
That's hyperbolic to say the least. Spending money to develop and create studios sure doesn't seem like thet are not intrested in game development.

Dimorphic

Microsoft believe they've cornered the gamers and now they're moving in on the large number of people embracing the media hub which has (for casual users) been dominated by Apple almost since the introduction of the iPod.

Windows 8 is Microsoft's iOS, and by that I mean it'll be what they use to promote and sell their products. Apple's biggest selling point is the familiarity of iOS across most of its devices (and becoming more and more a part of Mac OSX) and this is Microsoft's ambition as well.

TBH as long as they keep catering games to the gamers I could care less how they promote their service. But the day Mass Effect is developed for Sony/Nintendo only is the day I stop being an Xbox gamer.

derFeef

hahaha

Sony and Nintendo's first party slates shit on Microsoft's from an unimaginable height. Microsoft isn't interested in game development any more.

Push for PC games, push for games coming to Steam/PC, opening several new game studios. Yeah, no interest at all...

Mikeside

I started this gen firmly in Camp-360 - it was a dream machine with amazing 1st party titles, not to mention the multiplatform titles were generally appalling on PS3.

In the past year or so, I've not seen much I've cared about on 360 so I've sold it.
You can't disappoint me anymore, Microsoft E3 conference.

Fabrik

Banned
I feel Microsoft is DOOMED is they continue down that road. Next gen, if they release alongside PS4 at the same price, I don't know why anyone would choose XBox 720 over a PS4 except for Halo 5, particularly if PSN is still free and XBL not.

Don't see the big deal. Not like the vast majority of E3-focused titles won't be showcased separately and privately, like every year, as that's probably a better way to give time to each game instead of rushing through too fast past each one onstage and having random performance issues while live.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
That's hyperbolic to say the least. Spending money to develop and create studios sure doesn't seem like thet are not intrested in game development.

When I see some retail games that aren't Halo/Fable/Forza or children's software then I might change my mind. Are people really trying to tell me that Microsoft Game Studios is making as many good games as they were 3 or 4 years ago?

I don't believe it.

They might dedicate some time to dashboard improvements, etc that will pave the way for the nextbox, but not to expect a focus on games? How utterly ridiculous, but wait, it's Pacther....

Top Bottom