• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jurassic Park: The Game |OT| Eventually you might have gameplay in your game, right?

Mdk7

I'm still downloading it...
40 minutes to go, and it's 2.45 AM here in Italy. :p
Guess you'll have to wait till tomorrow as far as i'm concerned!

Strafer said:
Take a screenshot of the main menu.
okay. give me a minute.

this game HAS SO MANY QUICKTIME EVENTS. HAMMER Y TO LOOK!

15xo58l.png

GROWL

Mdk7

I just completed the prologue.
it's BAD.
Like really, really, really bad.
It's just a bunch of QTEs with average (i'm being extremely generous here) graphics, terrible animations, bad direction and no atmosphere at all.
It's one of those things that are supposed to be taken seriously, but are actually so bad they only make you laugh.
I do hope it gets better, but the opening is seriously depressing. :(

NewFresh

Mdk7 said:
I just completed the prologue.
it's BAD.
Like really, really, really bad.
It's just a bunch of QTEs with average (i'm being extremely generous here) graphics, terrible animations, bad direction and no atmosphere at all.
It's one of those things that are supposed to be taken seriously, but are actually so bad they only make you laugh.
I do hope it gets better, but the opening is seriously depressing. :(

:(

I was really hoping there was more to this than QTE's

EmmanuelMunoz said:
:(

I was really hoping there was more to this than QTE's
the writing and acting seem pretty good. the puzzles are okay. but it's way too HAMMER A UNTIL YOUR FINGER HURTS OR DIE.

maybe with a patch to make the mashing a bit less strenous, but that part i posted the screen of there almost broke me. i got past it, but now i'm going to go watch TV and wait until my arm stops huring.

I just wonder who thought that the button mashing QTE's would be a good idea. It's nothing new though, people have been making horrible decisions with Jurassic Park, including Steven Spielberg, since 1997. The first movie was fucking amazing and then everything after that has been a complete disaster.

And now the last thing Spielberg said about JP4 was that they're going to use genetics to make the dinosaurs scary again. Right, because they can't use cinematography, editing, and sound design to do that or anything. Have to make them faster. Stronger. I mean velociraptors aren't already very calculated killing machines or anything.

Plasma

Banned
Ok so this game isn't as bad as I thought it might be, the actual adventure parts where you stop and look around are pretty good.

Some of the QTE event things really don't make sense though like in the the beginning when you're looking for the Barbasol can you're trying to retrace Nedry's steps and to do that you look at tracks and then hammer on one of the face buttons. Other times like when you're loading a tranquilliser gun the movements line up perfectly though and it feels right.

I've only completed Episode 1 so far and will have to go onto Episode 2 tomorrow.

Also one last thing, you can enable gamepad and it works fine in game but it won't let you use the gamepad for the menus which is kind of annoying, also there is no vibration support which is a bit strange.

Just finished the first episode.

Lots of JP fan service... not necessarily good fan service (someone basically copies the "Dodgson, We got Dodgson here!" speech), but it's there. The action gameplay is a lot like Heavy Rain, but with uglier and sometimes confusing icons. The investigation gameplay is standard Telltale stuff, made easier because you no longer have to walk around areas or anything of the like. Just press the button that corresponds to what you want to do and bam, done.

As for the story, it's interesting. I never read any of the novels so I don't know if the story is original, but as far as I know, it seems to be going deeper into something that was only mentioned once in the first movie (iirc).

So yeah, I liked it.

My only complaints are that the animations aren't that great in most cases, and that the framerate takes some serious dives on the PS3 version during scenes with a lot of action going on.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
Plasma said:
Ok so this game isn't as bad as I thought it might be, the actual adventure parts where you stop and look around are pretty good.

Some of the QTE event things really don't make sense though like in the the beginning when you're looking for the Barbasol can you're trying to retrace Nedry's steps and to do that you look at tracks and then hammer on one of the face buttons. Other times like when you're loading a tranquilliser gun the movements line up perfectly though and it feels right.

I've only completed Episode 1 so far and will have to go onto Episode 2 tomorrow.

Also one last thing, you can enable gamepad and it works fine in game but it won't let you use the gamepad for the menus which is kind of annoying, also there is no vibration support which is a bit strange.

How long was Episode 1? With only 4 episodes or whatever I feel like this game is gonna end up pretty damn short.

atomsk

Party Pooper
"commentary" file is 3.1 gigs, what exactly is this?

changing the resolution is the most asinine thing. IT CHANGES EVERY TIME YOU CLICK ONE BIGGER. took me forever to get to 1900x1200

Plasma

Banned
Emerson said:
How long was Episode 1? With only 4 episodes or whatever I feel like this game is gonna end up pretty damns short.

Think it took me just over an hour but on the exploring bits I was trying to look at everything even when I knew where to go just to soak up the atmosphere a bit, so if you wanted to breeze through it I imagine you could get it done a bit quicker.

Although if I remember correctly Back to the Future had the same sort of episode length.

If you really like QTEs then I guess there is some replay value as well, you get medals (Gold/Silver/Bronze) at the end of each QTE segment and they are awarded depending on how many times you messed up. Though I doubt I'll be going back any time soon trying to get all the gold medals :p

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
Plasma said:
Think it took me just over an hour but on the exploring bits I was trying to look at everything even when I knew where to go just to soak up the atmosphere a bit, so if you wanted to breeze through it I imagine you could get it done a bit quicker.

Although if I remember correctly Back to the Future had the same sort of episode length.

If you really like QTEs then I guess there is some replay value as well, you get medals (Gold/Silver/Bronze) at the end of each QTE segment and they are awarded depending on how many times you messed up. Though I doubt I'll be going back any time soon trying to get all the gold medals :p

Yeah, but BTTF is 5 episodes (I believe) and is available for 20 bucks. This is 4 and is twice that price.

I think it's something I'd like but the value seems poor to me.

brandonh83 said:
And now the last thing Spielberg said about JP4 was that they're going to use genetics to make the dinosaurs scary again. Right, because they can't use cinematography, editing, and sound design to do that or anything. Have to make them faster. Stronger. I mean velociraptors aren't already very calculated killing machines or anything.

What does this even mean? Mutant dinosaurs? Spielberg's lost his mind.

Rated-Rsuperstar said:

I have no idea. He just said that they have someone scripting it right now and that they're using genetics to make the dinosaurs scary again. Fucking ridiculous. The only way to make them scarier is to put rocket launchers on them.

Cartman86

Banned
Rated-Rsuperstar said:

Spoilers I guess for a script that isn't going to be used, but it's an insane idea that maybe they will bring back some day.

They have abandoned this idea, but there was that John Sayles/William Monahan screenplay from 2004 that featured dinosaurs that were
modified to make them smart soliders. The main character was tasked with training them for his commando unit...

Cartman86 said:
What's sad is if this looked visually like Heavy Rain I think I would love it.

If you like the idea of the gameplay, then don't worry about the visuals. I think they're fine.

The button mashing part of the screenshot above wasn't really that bad, did it on my first try.

This is coming from a big JP nerd though, so your enjoyment may vary.

Cartman86

Banned
Kyleripman said:
If you like the idea of the gameplay, then don't worry about the visuals. I think they're fine.

The button mashing part of the screenshot above wasn't really that bad, did it on my first try.

Oh I really don't love the idea of the gameplay. It's just I wanted to see the best looking dinosaurs ever in a video game. I think I just wanted a new Jurassic Park movie :(

Kyleripman said:

I was playing on a pad. I'm glad that you got past it first time. I'm not making up that my arm ended up hurting though.

Just finished chapter one and part of chapter 2. I am using an Xbox Controller on PC and it connected perfectly and has been working flawlessly so far. One annoying thing before starting the game, changing the resolution in the settings is asinine and takes like ten minuets to get up to 1080x1200.

In Game:
The game is...odd. It is basically a bunch of quicktime events strung together, you have no control over your character whatsoever. The voice acting ranges from pretty bad to laughably bad, people look like melting wax figures, and yet I am having fun.

I am not a massive Jurassic Park fan so I would probably enjoy it more if I was. Its a totally different experience then any other game I've played, the dinosaurs are cool, and I really like some of the music. I don't know if I would recommend purchasing it at $30, but it is probably worth a look during a steam sale.

brandonh83 said:
I have no idea. He just said that they have someone scripting it right now and that they're using genetics to make the dinosaurs scary again. Fucking ridiculous. The only way to make them scarier is to put rocket launchers on them.
Maybe it means they will now be genetically accurate, as opposed to the last films? Although I don't know how that could possibly be plausibly explained if it is a legitimate sequel other than a fourth wall breaking 'We didn't know in the 90's what we do now in terms of dinosaur genetics... Enjoy, this piece of crap we cobbled together for you mone- I mean, enjoyment!'

Leaked old drafts of various JP4/Sequel scripts indicate human-raptor hybrid swat team scenarios, so don't say you haven't been warned.

Snaku

Banned
I should be doing hw said:
Maybe it means they will now be genetically accurate, as opposed to the last films? Although I don't know how that could possibly be plausibly explained if it is a legitimate sequel other than a fourth wall breaking 'We didn't know in the 90's what we do now in terms of dinosaur genetics... Enjoy, this piece of crap we cobbled together for you mone- I mean, enjoyment!'

They were genetic freaks to begin with; their DNA was spliced with various species of amphibians. In the novel, Hammond wanted Henry to further tamper with their genetic code to make them slower and dumber so they'd better match people's preconceived expectations of dinosaurs. He was afraid they wouldn't appear genuine.

plagiarize said:
I was playing on a pad. I'm glad that you got past it first time. I'm not making up that my arm ended up hurting though.

No, I believe you. I'm one of those people who had to patch my Wii because waggle-to-roll in DKCR was starting to hurt around world 5 or so. I just for some reason haven't had any trouble with the QTEs in this one so far.

Bought episode 1 on iPad and just past the prologue but so far (as I said in the iOS thread) it runs like shit. It stutters like every few seconds, I don't mind how it looks pretty good for an iPad game? Or at least not that bad but it runs like arse. So disappointed going to play more now anyway but so disappointed is my initial reaction.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I should be doing hw said:

Leaked old drafts of various JP4/Sequel scripts indicate human-raptor hybrid swat team scenarios, so don't say you haven't been warned.
i don't want accurate, I don't want feathers. I want diplodocus, dinosaurs that were in books when I was a child

Mdk7

So... i started the game again after a few hours of sleep, with stereo sound on and volume up high.
I completed the first episode.
The gameplay is still pretty meh (it truly feels like you're watching an interactive movie, it's laser game era all over again!) and the graphics could be A LOT BETTER, yet it's surely entertaining.
I'm a huge JP freak, but really, i'm surprisingly having fun.
It captures very well the essence of the movie (with a few differences, probably due to technical restrictions), and the story is truly interesting so far.
You get to see places from a new perspective, and by knowing very well the movie it's great to run into little details that don't get explained because you already know what you're talking about.

Can't wait to see what's happening next, but ehm, if you can close an eye on the gameplay itself (!!) the game's worth playing.

ttocs

I was really looking forward to this game. I think I'm going to wait until the season's big hits die down and I get a hold on my backlog, but this will be one I'll watch.

atomsk

Party Pooper
(pc version)

Just finished Ep2.

Ep1 issues: nasty hitching/lag, repeating dialogue in the binocular scene.

Ep2 issues: There's a repeating texture in the Bone Shaker puzzle that basically makes it unfinishable unless you memorize the solution beforehand (so I had to play it twice). Pack of Compy's had no texture at all, they were all black. (also saw the same thing happen on some of the fences a couple times) Hell, most of the texture work in this game is downright embarrassing.

Thankfully the hitching/lag cleared up, starting up Ep3 now

As a JP fan it's hitting the right notes, Barbasol Can, Lysine Contingency, Unix System... as a video game fan it's just depressing

Mdk7

atomsk said:
(pc version)

Just finished Ep2.

Ep1 issues: nasty hitching/lag, repeating dialogue in the binocular scene.

Ep2 issues: There's a repeating texture in the Bone Shaker puzzle that basically makes it unfinishable unless you memorize the solution beforehand (so I had to play it twice). Pack of Compy's had no texture at all, they were all black. (also saw the same thing happen on some of the fences a couple times) Hell, most of the texture work in this game is downright embarrassing.

Thankfully the hitching/lag cleared up, starting up Ep3 now

As a JP fan it's hitting the right notes, Barbasol Can, Lysine Contingency, Unix System... as a video game fan it's just depressing
I encountered the same repeating dialogue problem in the first episode. No lag though!
On the EP 2, i didn't have any problem with the puzzle, but did run into the black compys!

Anyway EP 1>> EP 2 IMHO.

Top Bottom