• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT9| People still play this? Isn't it from 2004

Tarazet

Blacksmithing gear should sell OK if you are on a big server. There's a solid chance just making demonsteel bars is a good profit since people are lazy. Long term (as in years) BS stands to benefit the most from Legion due to the mount. Depends on what they do with bloods though. It's not in as good a spot as the others but it's worth having, I think.

On my low-pop server blacksmithing gear is crazy expensive and sells well. The market is not well served and IMO they are very easy to make for the returns you can get.

Lain

One thing I'd like changed about invasions is that they'd go away once you complete them. Nothing worse than seeing some WQs with a reward you need, like a recipe, then an Invasion pops and you got to wait 6 hours before being able to actually get that recipe (if the WQ doesn't expire before the invasion timer runs out).

Robin64

One thing I'd like changed about invasions is that they'd go away once you complete them. Nothing worse than seeing some WQs with a reward you need, like a recipe, then an Invasion pops and you got to wait 6 hours before being able to actually get that recipe (if the WQ doesn't expire before the invasion timer runs out).

That would break some things, though. A few class quests ask for things from Invasions, and the Broken Shore has a quest to complete one too.

But yes, what you mention is a problem. I can't think of an elegant in-game way to do it, but maybe you should be able to opt-out of seeing them, and not get phased into it.

Godan

Yeah i give up on my Prot pally right now which is my main. Unless you have active mitigation up you take far too much damage. Going to finish levelling my DK up and play blood till they fix Prot out.

Not one for playing alts so this is going to be new for me now lol.

Robin64

You need to kill Xavius in the Emerald Nightmare raid to get Legion flying. It's part of Good Surmaritan which is part of Broken Isles Loremaster. But it's super easy on LFR, easier than any dungeon.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
I don't get why they make learning to fly so involved.

Longevity. When you used to just buy it it really nullified the size and scope of the world and all potential it still had. So now especially with world quests you have to sort of pay your dues before you can take advantage of it.

Also added benefit of it being usable on alts for free means that once you do it one time, you can level up alts with it after.

But BC and WotLK were designed with flying in mind, and I put in my time doing quests in every zone, and then hitting cap to fly. Having flight absolutely did not sap my enjoyment of the zones, it enhanced it. They can say the newer expansions are more designed towards ground travel, but the mob density is way too high.

Also they sell flying mounts for $25, so fuck them. :)

I think all crafting professions are pretty close to worthless right now. Being able to do the legendaries was pretty nice for a little while, now it can be tough to sell them. That's pretty much the only reason to hang on to these profs, is just laziness and a hope that better things will come one day.

Legion Tailoring and Enchanting served my Mage well, but it did take a while to surpass WoD Tailoring. It's easy to gather the mats by just doing WQ's. Usually hoover up 10K Silkweave every 3-5 days thanks to the Dreamweaver shoulder enchant and can pump out a decent amount of Imbued Silkweave Bags every week if I consistently play the mage. Which I haven't been lately. The craftable Leggo looks less worthwhile than more standard crafts given how saturated the market is and how involved the questing is to acquire the mats. M0's can be problematic to get into as a pure DPS even if there's an associated WQ, which was the main reason I've been trying out a couple of different classes (Warrior, Monk and Priest).

Jewel Crafting and Alchemy look worthwhile, so does going straight double gather.

Blacksmithing gear should sell OK if you are on a big server. There's a solid chance just making demonsteel bars is a good profit since people are lazy. Long term (as in years) BS stands to benefit the most from Legion due to the mount. Depends on what they do with bloods though. It's not in as good a spot as the others but it's worth having, I think.

It's probably a mistake but I'm going to go with engineering.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
You need to kill Xavius in the Emerald Nightmare raid to get Legion flying. It's part of Good Surmaritan which is part of Broken Isles Loremaster. But it's super easy on LFR, easier than any dungeon.

shit my bad, I already had good samaritan part 1 done and forgot that was part of it. But yeah if it works on LFR its literally no issue

How am I supposed to read this? The WQ for Vault of the Wardens lists Mythic under the item description of the reward. So this means no reward on normal/heroic, right? Just seems odd it's under the item name.

Legion Tailoring and Enchanting served my Mage well, but it did take a while to surpass WoD Tailoring. It's easy to gather the mats by just doing WQ's. Usually hoover up 10K Silkweave every 3-5 days thanks to the Dreamweaver shoulder enchant and can pump out a decent amount of Imbued Silkweave Bags every week if I consistently play the mage. Which I haven't been lately. The craftable Leggo looks less worthwhile than more standard crafts given how saturated the market is and how involved the questing is to acquire the mats. M0's can be problematic to get into as a pure DPS even if there's an associated WQ, which was the main reason I've been trying out a couple of different classes (Warrior, Monk and Priest).

Jewel Crafting and Alchemy look worthwhile, so does going straight double gather.

Yeah JC and alchemy are definitely good; I was thinking just the gear-crafting profs when I said that. I have a tailor and did not have a good time selling those bags, but admittedly I didn't stick with it very long. It's just crafted gear is so useless now, it's more the temporary gimmicks that give any utility to them right now, like the legendaries, or the bracers at the beginning of the expansion. I wish the gear had more utility, or the professions more beneficial in other ways.

Syf

Banned
Man, these new shots from the 7.3 raid.

Antorus
fPhqZ8B.jpg
m3BoCyy.jpg

Apparently
Sargeras himself will finally make an appearance in the space behind the throne. This is gonna be so damn awesome. Sounds like an appropriately epic finale to the burning crusade.

Everything about Antorus looks amazing so far! Not that I really want to anyway, but like, if I was thinking about taking a break from the game for a bit, I'd probably reconsider because I want to be 100% ready for 7.3 lol. This is a patch that absolutely cannot be missed.

XenodudeX

So, 7.3 is making one of the best story decisions I've seen this game make in a long time.

So, the Illidan novel and Legion as a whole have been building up a prophecy that Illidan is the chosen one and will merge with a Naaru to become an angel of light (you know, that stupid thing they did in SC2).

However, they subvert it. Illidan, when confronted with this option, chooses to reject it and actually kills Xe'ra, the Prime Naaru. We don't have the full story as part of the story is locked behind an inaccessible cinematic, but Illidan didn't want this forced upon him.

I really like this decision.
Why the fuck would Illidan do that? Aren't they on the same side?

Corpekata

Banned
Why the fuck would Illidan do that? Aren't they on the same side?

IIRC the implication were it was being forced upon him, and he lashes out. There's also dialgoue that implies X'era is possibly a bit of a taskmaster and authoritarian that we haven't really seen yet, which suggests conflicts within how the Naaru act, which also explains why the naaru sent us to kill Illidan in BC in the first place.

The reward for the WQ is a piece of Mythic Gear for completing easier content.

Got it. Pretty nice upgrade from what I had. Still died several times on the last boss on normal, but eh, I've never done it before, so all I knew about the mechanics was what I read in the adventure guide. My deaths involved a lot of running from the boss, and wondering why the tank was taunting her off me, or really doing anything.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
continuing my leveling adventures with this resub (since everytime I get to around 875+ on characters I find I kinda stop doing WQs unless theres a 880 pvp one up or something), I've been leveling my warrior and shaman (108 and 105 respectively now( through invasions, so my current impressions:

Warrior - Visually I love Fury the most, both the art and the skills. I tried Arms for a bit but the rotation seems way too boring (and im into boring rotations lately with Ret Pali and BM hunter being up there with my faves), but as you get fuck all gear from just doing invasions, I have gravitated towards Protection lately because, well at least you cant die, and I actually quite enjoy it. One question, is it worth using revenge at all outside of the free procs? It seems like its quite expensive and I would rather save that rage for ignore pain, I dunno.

Shaman - I wanted to go elemental but I've been blowing so much gold on heirloom upgrades I ended up going enhancement because I had the agility stuff. Turns out Enhancement is actually pretty fun. Quite flash too for a melee spec. Resto seems super interesting tho, I saw a little bit of it doing the artifact quest, really liked what Is saw, maybe has a bit too much bloat, I dunno.

I'm also trying to get into my DK (my only non-geared, non-mount 110) and I think a spec finally clicked with me, Unholy. Not having gear sucks tho because its very hard to get a sense for specs when it takes you 3 hours to kill things in WQs.

Nokterian

continuing my leveling adventures with this resub (since everytime I get to around 875+ on characters I find I kinda stop doing WQs unless theres a 880 pvp one up or something), I've been leveling my warrior and shaman (108 and 105 respectively now( through invasions, so my current impressions:

Warrior - Visually I love Fury the most, both the art and the skills. I tried Arms for a bit but the rotation seems way too boring (and im into boring rotations lately with Ret Pali and BM hunter being up there with my faves), but as you get fuck all gear from just doing invasions, I have gravitated towards Protection lately because, well at least you cant die, and I actually quite enjoy it. One question, is it worth using revenge at all outside of the free procs? It seems like its quite expensive and I would rather save that rage for ignore pain, I dunno.

Shaman - I wanted to go elemental but I've been blowing so much gold on heirloom upgrades I ended up going enhancement because I had the agility stuff. Turns out Enhancement is actually pretty fun. Quite flash too for a melee spec. Resto seems super interesting tho, I saw a little bit of it doing the artifact quest, really liked what Is saw, maybe has a bit too much bloat, I dunno.

I'm also trying to get into my DK (my only non-geared, non-mount 110) and I think a spec finally clicked with me, Unholy. Not having gear sucks tho because its very hard to get a sense for specs when it takes you 3 hours to kill things in WQs.

With DK i choose Blood for leveling but also for tanking the synergy is fantastic, with WQ it goes very good because of the self healing.

Rhaknar

With DK i choose Blood for leveling but also for tanking the synergy is fantastic, with WQ it goes very good because of the self healing.

I hate Blood, its even more boring than Arms /shrug

Self healing as unholy seems very decent even with crap gear, Death Strike heals for a ton

traveler

Not Wario
^

:(

One of the most consistently top notch members of Blizz's staff. Fortunately, there's a good chance he still collaborates in the future, as Blizz uses external composers on the soundtrack fairly frequently and the relationship is already, plus it doesn't sound like he's leaving on bad terms.

Chatacters at 110:

Druid
Monk
Priest
Demon Hunter
Death Knight
Shaman
Warlock

This only confirms to me that the druid is the best class in the game. Healing is equally fun with all my healers while tanking and ranged dps is more fun on my druid. Melee dps is infinitely better on monk, demon hunter, and death knight. However, the feral update/redesign goes live next patch and hopefully that fixes my issues with the spec.

I have a 69 rogue that I might lvl next, or start with a fresh pallie. Suggestions?

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Rogue is pretty dope. At least two of the specs are strong and fun (assassin and subtlety).

Lain

I have a 69 rogue that I might lvl next, or start with a fresh pallie. Suggestions?

I'd suggest rogue. I think Subtley is extremely fun, more so than my Paladin (any spec). Paladin is solid too though.

Oh, and with rogue, you can get 5k free* each week.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
I just couldn't get into Rogue on Legion. The builders across all specs felt very lacking.

It's weird to me that they just seem to have let him go and didn't have any new position to offer him at all in their new sound department setup? The guy pretty much IS Blizzard music.

EmiPrime

Is the crafted plate legendary worth spending 100K on? I am a returning player (only bought Legion yesterday) and I have about 500K on my main. Seems like it could dramatically speed up levelling.

Hi all. Thinking about re-subbing for a bit, been away for about 3 months I think. I know about the new ToS raid and the class mount questline, is there anything else of note or is that really it?

I'm curious to hear about the sound de-centralization initiative he mentions in his post.

Maybe Blizzard will outsource their composing to freelancers? I must say I'm at a loss as to why they'd make their lead composer's job redundant and letting him go. Some of his work was top notch.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
It's weird to me that they just seem to have let him go and didn't have any new position to offer him at all in their new sound department setup? The guy pretty much IS Blizzard music.

He probably made too much money to just be a normal audio employee. No one is going to take a salary cut like that

Seems like he is going to be doing the same work for them as freelance... but that sucks for him either way. He makes pretty good music if most of what WoW and Starcraft is his product

Is the crafted plate legendary worth spending 100K on? I am a returning player (only bought Legion yesterday) and I have about 500K on my main. Seems like it could dramatically speed up levelling.

Get all your heirlooms maxxed for super fast leveling. With all the bonuses, it's 50% more exp.

Lain

I just couldn't get into Rogue on Legion. The builders across all specs felt very lacking.

I liked the... flavor of Subtley before 7.2.5, but the execution felt really lacking to me. After 7.2.5 my Sub rogue has become one of the characters I have the most fun running around doing the various menial tasks of WQs etc. Plus pick-pocketing has become more useful too compared to simply trying to get one coin for Marin and I have fun running around an area pick pocketing everyone before murdering them.

The demo warlock artifact challenge (Sigryn) is really busting my balls. I've tried at least 25 times now at 911 ilvl with Tomb four piece and still get destroyed.

I find myself having to choose whether to die to Valkyr or to runes and sometimes the runes have a second before they detonate which is bull. I've gotten used to handling the rotation of mechanics and interrupts but feel like I'm getting shit on by RNG and my lack of movement. I'm using demon skin instead of burning rush but maybe I just need to wait until I get Prydaz so I have the HP to soak and have burning rush. My DPS KS about 800K and I try to have 100% doom uptime but it's not easy.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
The datamined story stuff from 7.3 seems like it already retcons Chronicle. Which is like a year old.

Thank God Unholy is just the actual best DK spec now because Frost has been trash ever since Breath of Sindragosa took over. It's just too easy to fuck up.

Ah nice one, thanks. I had no idea I could upgrade them further.

Its not very well implemented IMO. As Alliance, I go to the exlporers area in IF and there is a vendor there that sells the upgrades. Each item within each set can be upgraded 3 times, up to lvl 110. Once you buy and apply each upgrade, you can log on your alt and simply click the heirloom gear and it will appear in their inventory, no cost.

From lvl 100-109, a single Invasion is more than an entire level. It takes 15-20 minutes to do an Invasion. Unfortunately they randomly pop up once or twice a day.

Also, don't bother with a weapon from 100-110. Your artifact is much better. I think it cost 30-35k to fully upgrade a single heirloom set to 110.

Top Bottom