• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT3| 13 Treasons Why

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pastry

Banned
"Donald, please use the thumbs up gesture in Saudi Arabia. It means goodwill unto others."

"Okay, fine I won't use it."

kess

David Brooks actually made a good point in yesterday's NY Times yesterday -- just who is going to work in a Trump government that is self immolating and has hundreds of vacant positions? Trump is unfortunately fufilling the conservative dream of keeping talented people from working in government.

I had an idea just a few minutes ago and I wanted to check with you all if something like it exists.

There needs to be some sort of app that you can:

- Register where you live and to have notifications sent out about local city, county, and state elections or votes that are taking place. Maybe even put them in your calendar.
- See locations and cutoff dates for registering to vote.
- Be provided links to sites that are directly made by candidates or for issues (if one exists). If not provide some sort of information that presents a "for" and "against" reasoning.
- Be provided historical information about the vote, either previously elected officials in the position or how policy is being changed from the past.
- Be provided with ways of notifying friends and family of votes as well.
- See when local town hall meetings, city council meetings, representative Q/A's or appearances, or any other important gatherings occur.

I think the main problem would be logistical, but a lot of the information could be crowd sourced. I know there are organizations like Indivisible that do something like this for progressivist movements, but I think there would be real value in creating something like this that is more impartial. It could have a larger appeal especially among younger voters.

So I think I know the Saudi play here and it's really quite simple. They're going to give Trump and his entourage a full fledged royal welcome with 50 different MENA/OIC leaders in order to stroke his ego. Saudis know they can afford this royal welcome and Israel can't. This way they can have Trump agree to 1967 borders (or Arab Peace Initiative), sale of 50 bazillion missiles and even agreeing to tear apart Iran agreement. Trump will agree to all of it because he's being treated like a king. He then goes to Israel and Bibi gives him a relatively modest welcome and Trump feels like he's being given a bad welcome (compared to the Saudis) and that will sour him on any deal with Israelis.

In short I think Trump will come away with more on the side of Arabs than Israelis because Trump is so fucking easy to impress with money and luxury.

So I think I know the Saudi play here and it's really quite simple. They're going to give Trump and his entourage a full fledged royal welcome with 50 different MENA/OIC leaders in order to stroke his ego. Saudis know they can afford this royal welcome and Israel can't. This way they can have Trump agree to 1967 borders (or Arab Peace Initiative), sale of 50 bazillion missiles and even agreeing to tear apart Iran agreement. Trump will agree to all of it because he's being treated like a king. He then goes to Israel and Bibi gives him a relatively modest welcome and Trump feels like he's being given a bad welcome (compared to the Saudis) and that will sour him on any deal with Israelis.

In short I think Trump will come away with more on the side of Arabs than Israelis because Trump is so fucking easy to impress with money and luxury.

He also has business deals in Saudi anyway, people thought that was the reason Saudi wasnt on the muslim ban.

He's gonna hand the world to everyone he meets.

Then be flabbergasted that they hate him when he can't deliver.

I'm kinda worried what stupid shit is gonna come of his visit to the vatican.

Ithil

So there's another unintended, but delightful consequence of t_d going private:

They're flooding /pol/ and triggering the NatSoc hordes because their safe space is being invaded. It's practically in meltdown mode now.

How I'm imagining all this
618734.gif

American Legion to Trump: Allow marijuana research for vets

One of the nation’s most conservative veterans’ groups is appealing to President Donald Trump to reclassify marijuana to allow large-scale research into whether cannabis can help troops suffering from post-traumatic stress disorder.

The change sought by The American Legion would conflict with the strongly anti-marijuana positions of some administration leaders, most vocally Attorney General Jeff Sessions.
"We are not asking for it to be legalized," said Louis Celli, the national director of veterans affairs and rehabilitation for the American Legion, which with 2.4 million members is the largest U.S. veterans’ organization. "There is overwhelming evidence that it has been beneficial for some vets. The difference is that it is not founded in federal research because it has been illegal."

The Legion has requested a White House meeting with Jared Kushner, Trump's son-in-law and close aide, "as we seek support from the president to clear the way for clinical research in the cutting edge areas of cannabinoid receptor research," according to a recent letter shared with POLITICO.

The request marks a significant turn in the debate over medical marijuana by lending an influential and unexpected voice. The Legion, made up mostly of Vietnam and Korean War-era veterans, is breaking with other leading vets’ groups such as the Veterans of Foreign Wars in lobbying for the removal of the major roadblock in pursuing marijuana treatment.
The VA declined to address whether it is reconsidering its stance on the issue, citing the illegality of marijuana in all its forms under federal law.
It added that "VA will not provide for use or conduct research with illegal substances regardless of state laws."

Most leading veterans’ groups are toeing that line, including Veterans of Foreign Wars.

"The VFW has no official position regarding this ongoing debate because marijuana is illegal under federal law," said Joe Davis, the group's spokesman.

I had an idea just a few minutes ago and I wanted to check with you all if something like it exists.

There needs to be some sort of app that you can:

- Register where you live and to have notifications sent out about local city, county, and state elections or votes that are taking place. Maybe even put them in your calendar.
- See locations and cutoff dates for registering to vote.
- Be provided links to sites that are directly made by candidates or for issues (if one exists). If not provide some sort of information that presents a "for" and "against" reasoning.
- Be provided historical information about the vote, either previously elected officials in the position or how policy is being changed from the past.
- Be provided with ways of notifying friends and family of votes as well.
- See when local town hall meetings, city council meetings, representative Q/A's or appearances, or any other important gatherings occur.

I think the main problem would be logistical, but a lot of the information could be crowd sourced. I know there are organizations like Indivisible that do something like this for progressivist movements, but I think there would be real value in creating something like this that is more impartial. It could have a larger appeal especially among younger voters.

It could work, but I think it would be easier if you split the app into state specific apps.

It could work, but I think it would be easier if you split the app into state specific apps.

It might be better if you didn't. I could see the red state versions getting abandoned if there's not a lot of traffic, but if it was a grouped up app that you just let you pick a state on the first screen, then maybe more effort would go into the less populated races.

kirblar

Brewmont

Banned
Time to brace for all the positive foreign trip coverage.

His speech on Islam is completely contradictory to his campaign rhetoric and actual policy. But I am sure media will be impressed and push the narrative of a "new Trump" emerging due to all the setbacks.

This is exactly what will happen. Yesterday morning, before all the crazy news dropped, MSNBC was discussing/asking their guests if this trip will be the reset that the administration desperately needs.

His speech on Islam is completely contradictory to his campaign rhetoric and actual policy. But I am sure media will be impressed and push the narrative of a "new Trump" emerging due to all the setbacks.
And then a news bomb drops and everyoneforgets he even went on a trip
He can't escape this bad news. It's going to keep following him

Hopefully IC is keeping their gunpowder dry until shitgibbon returns from his trip. Unload as soon as he lands.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
You know what bothers me most about Shitlary? How little she liked campaigning. Seriously she used to take whole weeks off. She gave like 3 speeches from August to November. Girl you don't like the heat get out of the kitchen.

Slacker

There really is a contradictory tweet for everything. This one is probably a best example of the ridiculous hate for all things Obama from idiots like Trump. No Republican in their right mind would demand Melania wear a headscarf in SA, just the opposite in fact. But for Obama, as always the rules were different.

sazzy

There really is a contradictory tweet for everything. This one is probably a best example of the ridiculous hate for all things Obama from idiots like Trump. No Republican in their right mind would demand Melania wear a headscarf in SA, just the opposite in fact. But for Obama, as always the rules were different.

Donald clung to the birther conspiracy for years... and we know he projects his own issues on others...

someone should really check his birth certificate.

It might be better if you didn't. I could see the red state versions getting abandoned if there's not a lot of traffic, but if it was a grouped up app that you just let you pick a state on the first screen, then maybe more effort would go into the less populated races.

Yeah I think it would need to be one unified app. There would be too much upkeep between 50 different apps.

dramatis

NPR/Ipsos Poll: Americans Aren't So Hot On 'America First'
"Overall, Americans believe the U.S. should be and is a force for good in the world," said pollster Clifford Young, president of Ipsos Public Affairs. But there are partisan differences in how the country should exercise that leadership."

Most Americans (70 percent) believe the U.S. should be the moral leader of the world. But there's a 10-point drop when people are asked if the U.S. is that moral leader. The change is due to Democrats and independents. With Trump as president, Democrats drop off 14 points, independents 17.
"It's the word intervention," Young said. "We want to help countries, but we don't want to be stuck in their conflicts forever."

Republicans in the survey were much more hawkish about using military power, with 69 percent saying the U.S. should not hesitate to do so. Only 40 percent of Democrats felt that way.

I'd be all for "America First" if it were about America fixing its infrastructure, fixing its healthcare system, fixing its social welfare system, modernizing its energy grid, and preparing for the employment holocaust that automation will wreak in the next few decades. Our interventionist actions the last few decades have been pretty crummy, outside of very uncontroversial stuff like money for HIV prevention in Africa and the like, and I think internal improvement is necessary for the US to be an effective member of the global leadership team.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
South Carolina lawmaker indicted by state grand jury
South Carolina state Rep. Rick Quinn used his public office as a multimillion-dollar money funnel that enriched his family’s powerful political empire while doing the bidding of shadowy corporate interests in the Legislature, prosecutors said Tuesday.

Misconduct charges handed down as part of the ongoing Statehouse corruption probe paint a picture of influence and greed involving a key cog in one of the state’s oldest and more durable political machines.

Quinn, a Lexington Republican, is accused of failing to report more than $4.5 million that unidentified groups had paid to companies operated by him and his father, embattled political consultant Richard Quinn. He then improperly lobbied on their behalf, using his businesses and public office to influence government actions involving those groups, the indictment stated.

The scope of Quinn's alleged conduct is his entire legislative career, from January 1999 to April 15, and includes his 2006 run for state treasurer.

Quinn is the fourth lawmaker snared in the ongoing corruption probe led by 1st Circuit Solicitor David Pascoe. His fate had been the subject of much speculation since news surfaced last year that he and his father had been named in a State Law Enforcement Division report detailing leads in the investigation.

Investigators have collected records from Quinn's father's clients, including the University of South Carolina, BlueCross BlueShield of South Carolina and SCANA. Former lawmakers who worked with Quinn have gone before the State Grand Jury to testify. The State newspaper reported in March that investigators raided the firm's offices and hauled away boxes of records. Soon after, a Quinn client, Sen. John Courson, was indicted on accusations of laundering $133,000 in campaign money through the consulting firm.

The SLED report in which the Quinns were named was used in the case that led to the 2014 guilty plea by then-House Speaker Bobby Harrell, R-Charleston, for pocketing campaign cash. The report also mentioned suspect actions by state Rep. Jim Merrill when the Charleston Republican headed the House GOP Caucus. Merrill was indicted in December on 30 ethics charges dating back to 2001, including lobbying while in office.
Special prosecutor has been busy in South Carolina. This is the fourth Republican member of SC's legislature indicted in the last couple years.

This needs to become an article and to become viral.

I'm not one to say "nothing matters anymore", but this is exactly the kind of Trumpian hypocrisy that really doesn't matter to any supporters or even "lol liberals" both-siders. You're just never ever going to "get him" on things he bullshitted about in a tweet years ago and is doing the opposite now. There's literally dozens of examples.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom