• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Release Day Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

JABEE

When is BestBuy shipping preorders for online customers? Will they ship it early to arrive on Monday?

Amazon also has Mario listed as coming out November 18th but won't be delivered until the 21st. Is this a mistake? I have Prime shipping.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Preordered at a Futureshop that's not doing a midnight launch. I'll show up a couple hours early just to be near the front of the line when the doors open so I don't have to wait behind eighty people. In the mean time, I'm checking Staples and SDM every day to see if they get their units in. Since they never care about street date.

CronoShot

So uhhh, what games are coming out soon after launch?

Exclusives?

Early next year:

Rayman Legends
The Wonderful 101
Pikmin 3

God knows when:

Bayonetta 2
Super Smash Bros. 4

Unfortunately, Nintendo seems keen on only talking about the launch window rather than stuff going on next year. I suppose that makes sense for now, but soon after launch people are gonna want to know what's coming next year beyond Q1.

Eusis

Who is attempting to get one on Sunday WITHOUT a preorder?
Only if GameStop calls about me being on the waitlist, then I'll take the basic one I ordered and exchange if they'll hold it long enough. And that will probably be a Wii U I sell off (at cost) to my brother.

I'm going to be getting a Wii U on release date (UK) and I want to get a HDD with it between 400gb and 1tb. Any recommendations?

This makes me wonder what I need to get:

- In terms of powering the HDD while connecting to the Wii U, if you do not use a Y Cable Type drive (2 USB cables), then Nintendo cannot guarantee it will work properly.
- Nintendo can guarantee functionality if the HDD plugs into a power outlet.

crpav

I asked my wife if I could get a Wii U. She asked is it the new Nintendo handheld(why that matters I don't know....maybe she will let me get a new handheld?). I said no, it's the Wii's replacement. She said "no, you don't play the Wii as it is". I said I would and she said she will believe it when she sees it. End of that conversation.

MicH

As to what I'll get get when Wii U releases in Europe... On NOVEMBER 30TH :(

• Premium Wii U Pack
  • New Super Mario Bros. U (on eShop, I think - might as well when it retails for £40-45 pretty much everywhere :/
  • Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed
  • Trine 2 (on the eShop)

Later I will get Rayman Legends, The Wonderful 101 and Pikmin 3, but that's all for now.

Here's hoping they update the console with the ability to do this at a future date. It would be SO nice to me to be able to play Wii games that don't require motion controls to be playable on the U Pro. I really wasn't a fan of having to connect the classic controller to a remote. Not like it was some major inconvenience, maybe it's just a mental thing. Or a me thing.

It would require them to patch any wiiware/VC, or wii games to be compatible with the new hardware. DO you not see how that won't happen? It's such a slippery slope, and which titles get the treatment?

Kjellson

The fact that North America gets this one week and five days earlier than Europe makes a username with numbers inevitable, lol.

Tik-Tok

My Gamestop (Ontario Canada) just called me and asked what my interest was in going to a midnight launch, and them told me they would be doing it.

5 minutes later, phone rings. "Sorry, theres not enough interest in a midnight launch".

You've gaaaaaaaaaaata be kidding me.

I guess scalpers don't give a shit about getting it right away? :p

GQman2121

Banned
I wasn't aware that there were all of these extras in the box.

Screen-Shot-2012-09-13-at-11.21.14-PM.png

German bundle probably makes a lot of sense for most people.

Misterhbk

I asked my wife if I could get a Wii U. She asked is it the new Nintendo handheld(why that matters I don't know....maybe she will let me get a new handheld?). I said no, it's the Wii's replacement. She said "no, you don't play the Wii as it is". I said I would and she said she will believe it when she sees it. End of that conversation.

This made me lol

Should have just said yes, it's a handheld lol

Rootbeer

Banned
People still knock the launch lineup?

It accomplishes what it needs to... help push Wii U's throughout the holiday and Spring, then the big titles will come out before or around Fall/Winter of 2013 when the install base is healthy and stock has time to catch up a bit.

I think it's a much smarter move than launching with (for example) the next major 3D mario game that has the potential to sell over 5 or 10 million in its first year when there's only 1.5 million Wii U consoles installed.

Saroyan

Little things like this remind me why I'm not married anymore, lol.

It would require them to patch any wiiware/VC, or wii games to be compatible with the new hardware. DO you not see how that won't happen? It's such a slippery slope, and which titles get the treatment?

Sure. Like I said, I know very little about it technically, so maybe I shouldn't even be talking about it.

And I actually would NOT mind some Wii HD remasters. There were only about 3-4 games on Wii that I would be interested in anyway, so it wouldn't be too much of a cash sink. I would love to see a Xenoblade HD playable on the Wii U pro.

Wiz

Can't wait. I ordered from
Target. On the website it says delivery on Sunday...does that mean it will be at my house on Sunday?? Or Monday?

superbank

The definition of front-butt.
When you guys get your Wii Us please find out:

1. If it's possible to use headphones while playing a game that requires the gamepad and TV.

2. If it's possible to control a receiver with the universal remote functionality.

3. If it's possible to use the HDMI for video and a component or RCA cable for audio.

Thanks. No thanks to Nintendo or the press for ignoring important details like this. Maybe they have and I missed it?

Tik-Tok

Awesome, so you can get it then! :p

Rootbeer

Banned
Sure. Like I said, I know very little about it technically, so maybe I shouldn't even be talking about it.

And I actually would NOT mind some Wii HD remasters. There were only about 3-4 games on Wii that I would be interested in anyway, so it wouldn't be too much of a cash sink. I would love to see a Xenoblade HD playable on the Wii U pro.
I'd buy SMG 1 & 2 HD collection in a heartbeat. Would not hesitate on Xenoblade HD. Would be a dream come true.

Good chance we'll get Wind Waker on the eShop but I'd love to see it get the Okami HD treatment :3 I hope Nintendo is considering some of these things. They did do some cleaned-up re-releases on the 3DS eShop for some older games... so the possibility is definitely there. And of course, I think almost everyone in this thread owns Ocarina of Time 3D :) Surely they see there's a big market for that kind of thing.

Wow man... just wow. Here's the good news: if you buy one anyway she probably can't tell it's any different from the old Wii :d

Eusis

By the way, anyone know what the situation is for the GameStop Waitlist? Is there a high probability that if I'm on it I can walk in and buy it, or will they hold the stock back for Black Friday or something?

CronoShot

Sounds like permission to me.

dyergram

How can she belive it when she sees it if you don't buy one? Yep that's a definate greenlight :)

Yea, I'd say a Xenoblade HD is not too far out of the realm of possibility. ANd who knows, maybe Nintendo will allow certain third parties to patch their wiiware games to include gamepad support. HIGHLY doubtful, but who knows. Appropriate levels of demand can drive some crazy stuff

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Traded in some games, and bought Nintendo eshop cards so I have enough to buy NSMBU digitally. Plus they have nice zelda images on to celebrate the 25th anniversary. Also preordered Sonic Kart because it sounded interesting and was cheap (£29.99)

The overpriced ZombiU is now going to have to fight for my affections through amazing impressions from US Gaffers prior to the UK launch

Krakatoa

By the way, anyone know what the situation is for the GameStop Waitlist? Is there a high probability that if I'm on it I can walk in and buy it, or will they hold the stock back for Black Friday or something?

My GameStop made it seem like they would call you when they had a WII U in stock.

When is BestBuy shipping preorders for online customers? Will they ship it early to arrive on Monday?

Amazon also has Mario listed as coming out November 18th but won't be delivered until the 21st. Is this a mistake? I have Prime shipping.

I hope Best Buy doesn't do to you what they did to me: do multiple authorizations that overcharged my card (BB in-store card, no less) and then forcefully canceled my preorder.

Edit: Hoping Toys R Us doesn't mess up online orders.

Eusis

My GameStop made it seem like they would call you when they had a WII U in stock.
Well, we had Moffitt saying they had sent more than the pre-order allotment to GameStop, but I also remember during the Wii's launch how they'd hold stock back for Black Friday.

Rootbeer

Banned

The waitlist is over 300k [oops] people long. Best of luck, buddy.

Good chance we'll get Wind Waker on the eShop but I'd love to see it get the Okami HD treatment :3 I hope Nintendo is considering some of these things.

I think we're better off, at least for now, just being content with what they are doing. I definitely don't want to spend this entire generation hoping for things I probably won't get.

Me. I have no idea where to go though, and nobody's being helpful. :(

This will probably wont help you, depends of the country I suppose. Do you have were you live those 24 hour small store chains that also sell games?

Thats how me and a friend got their wiis, nearly 5 days before launch day, in fact, im pretty sure they were the first wiis sold in my city.
We were in a forum were people where callin all the time to Opencors (the 24 hour stores here, but they only open till 3am lol) of all the country, and bugging them. On of my friends heard that one of them got two, so he called me at 1 am or something like that, hoped into the car and there we went, we arrived there and we were lucky to be the first (no preorder or anything), bought them with various games, and the clerks and security guy were surprised of all the hype, and we had all a little chat there with them asking question about the system and all having a good laugh while one of the girls was opening the nintendo packages. Were there like 30 minutes and more people from that forum entered the store asking fo a wii, but sadly for them they only got two, however a guy I met that day, thats now a friend that has a game store were I buy games (yeah, the consoles didnt arrive yet to his store) could get another wii from one of the other stores in the chain becuase the clerks were calling for anything available around my city.
Was a really fun night.

Now I have the console preordered at my friends store, so it all comes full circle lol

Good luck if you try to find one, hope it all works well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom