• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Warner Brothers suspends [new] purchases for PC version of Batman Arkham Knight

AwShucks

I don't know why WB would have Iron Galaxy do their Batman PC ports nor do I know why Iron Galaxy would even want to, it's not the platform they generally work on.

And now it has ended up bad for both of them.

Lulubop

This is great news. Lets see if they can churn out a semi-decent version.

The next game I'm looking out for on PC is MGSV, and am super worried about it now. I hope it doesn't meet a similar fate.

Ground Zeros is an awesome port, I don't think Kojima would be happy with a lackluster job.

It's the right move at this point. It still sucks, but I'm glad they're doing this, and I hope this expediates things. The focus is now on getting what we already have to the point where it's worth $60 and not on selling more DLC or copies of the game as is.

We shouldn't have been where we were yesterday, but at least we now seem to be going in the right direction.

viveks86

We have no clue.

I just hope I can get good performance within a week. Or at least some missing effects. It's playable on my PC, with the 30 cap in place. Occasional stutter while driving quickly or whatnot but I can live with it. I'm 3-4 hours in and I kind of want to keep playing, but also kind of want to hold off until I can get a better experience.

Fight the urge, Mutes! We are in this together!

Spoo

So... for people who got via GMG or other resellers, do we get a time table on this "patch" we're waiting for? If it's going to be like a month I'm feeling more dicked by the hour lol.

RK9039

giphy.gif

Damn, is it REALLY that bad (PS4 copy here)?!?!.

Yes, it's a mess.

iNvid02

The real MVP here is steam refunds, this is the first AAA release since they were implemented and it's already sent a publisher a clear message.

Long overdue, ubi must be sweating a little

Edit; ashes was recalled, Arkham knight has been suspended so it's not really the same thing, plus it's fun to say UNPRECEDENTED

Well, there it is. Glad to see that horrible port is being pulled from shelves both real and virtual. I feel sorry for people bought this and weren't able to get a refund.

Glad I decided to wait on getting this game.

I think the lesson here is you can't release broken games in this current online age anymore. Certainly not high-profile heavily pre-ordered ones.

We saw first with AC Unity and now Arkham Knight. The shitstorm goes supernova and it virtually drowns everything else out.

Taking the game off the market is a drastic step, and I guess that means there are no immediate quick fixes on the way, otherwise they probably would have held out.

Hoje0308

Banned
So... for people who got via GMG or other resellers, do we get a time table on this "patch" we're waiting for? If it's going to be like a month I'm feeling more dicked by the hour lol.

I thought GMG decided to issue refunds, due to the special nature of this situation?

I don't know if they're pissed, but this is definitely the first big, fucked-up game launch since they started the refund service, and I'm willing to bet a really high percentage of buyers decided they wanted their money back.

Yep. Is interesting seeing this stuff unfolding.

I guess this is a positive move? I mean it certainly shows that someone somewhere is taking it seriously as it's shutting down the
future
money train.

Here's hoping they fix it in a reasonable time frame and they offer refunds or free junk that is worthwhile to those who already bought it [i.e. they should offer the refund to everyone they can but maybe a choice of free season pass or something if people want to keep it]

Lol what a trainwreck. Sorry PC guys and girls.
Nah it's cool. Plenty of other stuff to play and maybe this incident will teach WB and others a thing or two about respecting customers.

I wish Sony, Microsoft, and Nintendo had similar programs to protect consumers in case shit hits the fan (as it has multiple times this generation).

CHC

The real MVP here is steam refunds, this is the first AAA release since they were implemented and it's already sent a publisher a clear message.

Long overdue, ubi must be sweating a little

It's definitely a strong correlation - and I don't think it's a coincidence.

MrFortyFive

Better late than never. Glad they finally owned up to it. Suspending PC sales altogether is something I didn't think they'd do though.

leng jai

If they've completely suspended sales of it then it stands to reason that everyone should get the choice for a refund. They're basically admitting that their product wasn't fit for sale.

DrArchon

What a shitshow. Good on WB for doing this I guess, but it should've never come to this. Maybe WB and others will learn a lesson about doing proper PC ports from this, but something tells me that even after MKX and this we'll see way more shitty PC ports from here on out.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Damn. Appropriate move, didn't see this happening. Hopefully this means the PC version will actually be brought up to where it ought to be.

If they've completely suspended sales of it then it stands to reason that everyone should get the choice for a refund. They're basically admitting that their product wasn't fit for sale.

I'm guessing for services like GMG or Nuuvem you'd have to contact them, whilst Steam you can just request an automated refund.

I still can't believe that there were some who thought refunds were a bad idea after this mess.

I don't know if they're pissed, but this is definitely the first big, fucked-up game launch since they started the refund service, and I'm willing to bet a really high percentage of buyers decided they wanted their money back.

I love this. It puts some of the power back into consumers' hands. I wonder, would WB have pulled the game if people could not get refunds?

Mononoke

Banned
I guess this is a positive move? I mean it certainly shows that someone somewhere is taking it seriously as it's shutting down the
future
money train.

Here's hoping they fix it in a reasonable time frame and they offer refunds or free junk that is worthwhile to those who already bought it [i.e. they should offer the refund to everyone they can but maybe a choice of free season pass or something if people want to keep it]

I sure hope so. I mean fuck. The game was a hot mess. Not even acceptable. I saw maybe, one or two people who were claiming the game was great, and that other people should just stop being upset. It's not that big of a deal. lol

But for the most part, this was a pretty wide spread thing. And it's totally unacceptable. It shows a complete lack of respect for your customers to put out a product in that kind of condition. It's such a disgrace and they should be ashamed. I just hope they really make this right, and they get the game in the condition it SHOULD have been, and re-release it. Even doing that, it's not fair to all the people that have already paid for it. Yeah, if they DO fix the game, they will get a patch that fixes it. But it's not fair to take their money like that, and make them wait x time till they fix it. Consumers aren't banks that give out loans.

Thank god for refunds (although some are SOL).

Skyzard

Banned
Gemüsepizza;169722533 said:
This made me actually cancel my refund request for the game. I hope they can fix this.

Don't keep playing past 2 hoursish if you want to be able to have the option to refund.

viveks86

Yup. I would think this would be good enough for GMG to process the refund. Dunno

Since details are still hazy on what all has happened, I'm not ready to blame anyone yet, but this was a very smart move by WB.

Poor Lang. I really hope this doesn't bite IG and they were just rushed into the port job.

Top Bottom