• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SSX: Deadly Descents EGM Details

epmode

gondee said:
Mountains are generated automatically by the game, including some from topographic data like Google Earth. The producer talks about his programmer asking him to name any mountain, the producer said "Everest", the tech guy plugs that info into the mountain building program (dubbed "Mountain Man), and the program spit out a 100,000+ polygon rendered mountain.
I hope that generator program can handle stuff like Mercury City Meltdown, Aloha Ice Jam and Tokyo Megaplex.

:(

X26

Banned
AwShucks said:
I think there is too much "jumping to conclusions" in this thread. I mean you have a teaser trailer and some small bits of info, but everyone is jumping off the cliff already.

Let's just wait for some gameplay

No, the trailer debut thread was full of jumping to conclusions and exagerations, this is more of a confirmation that said exaggerations aren't quite so exaggerated

Barakov

Gold Member
I'm still really skeptical of this. However, it's good to hear that Elise is in there. The rewind feature sounds interesting.

Randomly generated stuff is very much hit and miss. While some information eases some of the skepticism I have there is also this:

MMaRsu said:
Did you guys forget how they fucked up Icon?

I'm not ready to write it off completely but I can't say I'm too excited about the direction this SSX is going in.

Net_Wrecker said:
Until I see some gameplay that proves the SSX spirit is still there from the graphics,to gameplay, to the characters, to course design, I'll remain completely skeptical. So far, these bullet points really aren't doing it for me yet.

Same. This new info hasn't made me feel any better about the game and in fact it has confirmed a few of the things I was complaining about.

It says it right on the website, on some courses you have to stay in a shaft of sunlight DO NOT STRAY FROM THE SUNLIGHT OR YOU WILL FREEZE!

On another map the lack of oxygen forces you to go down the mountain as fast as possible. DO NOT LINGER AND ENJOY THE VIEW OR TRY OUT ANY FUN TRICKS! YOU WILL SUFFOCATE IF YOU DO. YOU MUST PROCEED DOWN THE MOUNTAIN NOW!

This sounds like every other boring snowboarding game I never bought.

Guys, I'm sure the "procedurally generated mountains" were done during the game's creation, not realtime as you play the game. They generated their mountains, and then hand-tuned tracks for them. Note that they said there were going to be shortcuts and stuff - those are things that have to be planned out. Also, if they *were* 100% procedurally generated, that would mean there would be no real limit on the number of mountains, yet we are getting only 70 (which is still a ginormous amount). They would have made a MUCH bigger deal about it if you could enter any mountain you wanted and have it be generated ("I want to board down Mt. St. Helens!")

epmode

The whole notion of procedurally generating the tracks in a racing game, be it in realtime or during development, rubs me the wrong way. What's the point (besides getting into the Guiness Book (FUEL))? Makes it easy to shove out 70 half-assed MOUNTAINS instead of ~15 hand-crafted courses?

I hope this turns out well but I'm not very optimistic.

Fixed1979

Bah, so they're really going to ruin the SSX brand with this new snowboard game, I still had a glimmer of hope that it would be alright...well fuck.

Also, not surprising that the character with the biggest tits is back...
'cause she's Canadian and it's a Canadian game...but mostly the tits.

I'm going out on a limb and guessing Mac is all grown up and is now looking for dangerous mountains...

skip

people seem to be missing my post from early in the thread:

and before anyone freaks out about "real" mountains not being any fun, as you'll read in the EGMi companion piece, they're very aware about "SSX-ifying" the tracks after they've been generated from the topography.

also:
there will be colors

Mountain Man -> real terrain -> artists/designers -> SSX tracks

Fixed1979

skip said:

Meh, they did fine before without Mountain Man or real terrain.

EDIT: As much bitching as I'll do about this path they've chosen to follow in designing a new "SSX" I won't make a final decision until the controller is in my hands. How long is the article and are there new screens showing anything not in the trailer?

skip said:

Sounds good to me. I have no complaints, seriously I'm just happy to be getting another snowboarding game.

epmode

Pinko Marx said:
Ugh. Theres no pleasing you people. They say they're gunna SSX up the tracks and then you say that its a cop-out.
SMH.
"We're going to model the entire globe with our procedural generation tool! Our game will be FOUR QUINTILLION times bigger than SSX3! But don't worry, our SSX artists will find the time to SSXify EVERYTHING so it'll be just as awesome as you remember!"

The bullet points are nice for any snowboarding game, but I'm hoping that the main game itself retains that SSX look and feel. I need to see gameplay...

If it doesn't retain that SSX feel, then it'll probably still be a really good game, just not SSX.

Also, what's wrong with Rewind? It probably won't be in races...

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Pinko Marx said:
Ugh. Theres no pleasing you people. They say they're gunna SSX up the tracks and then you say that its a cop-out.
SMH.
I don't want them to "SSX up" anything.

It should be an SSX track from the ground up because that's what it takes to make a good track. I don't give a fuck about snowboarding down Mt. Everest. I have no idea what the topography of it is other than it probably having crags, a peak, some drops, I don't know it probably looks like any other mountain but bigger. Going down real mountains is a dumb idea that can't possibly resonate with anyone because there is no familiarity to any of it. This development process just seems lazy.

Snakeyes

Pinko Marx said:
SMH.

To be honest, I don't really trust what the development team says anymore. They were claiming that this game would stay true to the series roots and then come up with this "you can die for real" bullshit.

Why didn't they use Mirror's Edge as inspiration instead of CoD? :(

C4Lukins

Not sure about "dangers" like thin air and extreme cold. I would prefer something like an avalanche of polar bears in my SSX game. It does sound like an interesting game unto itself, but still not sounding like the SSX I wanted. Again, we shall see.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Pinko Marx said:
SMH.
I wonder what they mean with the whole SSXifying the tracks. I mean, what's the point of using real life mountains if you're just going to drop a Mercury City Meltdown right in the middle of it. Because if they think SSX tracks were just big ramps and sharp turns, well, they're wrong.

Snakeyes said:
I think it's something along the lines of trying to appeal to the Black Ops fanbase.

I don't think that's the case. While Black Ops may have been referred to in passing, I doubt it literally means they're trying to capitalize on a game whose elements can't possibly be copied over to a snowboarding game short of literally making that snowboarding game an FPS. The elements they're speaking of have as much to do with Black Ops as they do with Mario (you can die in both).

It just sounds that they're trying to dilute the intensity of snowboarding down into something that can be life or death (which isn't a stretch depending on where you choose to snowboard). Whether or not this will be a good move has yet to be seen, but thin air, ice, and cold temperatures don't seem wacky or out of the realm of imagination given that this is a snowboarding game, after all...

C4Lukins

graywolf323 said:
why does there have to be danger involved?

And how do you even implement these dangers? Do I have to pick up floating oxygen canisters on the way down the hill? Do I have to reach the next checkpoint before I freeze to death?

Snakeyes

C4Lukins said:
And how do you even implement these dangers? Do I have to pick up floating oxygen canisters on the way down the hill? Do I have to reach the next checkpoint before I freeze to death?

For oxygen you'll probably have to clear the track as quickly as possible with an oxygen meter.

For temperature you'll have to follow a sunlit line.

I understand the concept, but I hate it.

Snakeyes said:
For oxygen you'll probably have to clear the track as quickly as possible with an oxygen meter.

For temperature you'll have to follow a sunlit line.

I understand the concept, but I hate it.

WAT.

WAT.

Are you for real? Sigh...The only dangers on the track should be your character's rivals gunning for your head, or a natural disaster like an avalanche on the 3rd lap of a track, or a crumbling ice cave. Fear of freezing, or losing oxygen is a joke.

But still, I need gameplay.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
As an additional thought for one of my favorite franchises ever, it's that the first two games really understood what "cool" was at the time. I'll never forget the splashy fireworks, balloons, night-lit courses through the city, or the crazy air and effed up tricks you could land. And on Tricky, nothing felt better than getting the rap going, and then hitting some just giant nasty air and the music going dead, just so you could observe the beauty of the moment, then BLAMMO, landing, music goes back full blast. So bad ass.

If this dev understands "cool," good. If they think "cool" is something that includes real-time generated maps and oxygen gauges...

Snakeyes

PantherLotus said:
As an additional thought for one of my favorite franchises ever, it's that the first two games really understood what "cool" was at the time. I'll never forget the splashy fireworks, balloons, night-lit courses through the city, or the crazy air and effed up tricks you could land. And on Tricky, nothing felt better than getting the rap going, and then hitting some just giant nasty air and the music going dead, just so you could observe the beauty of the moment, then BLAMMO, landing, music goes back full blast. So bad ass.

If this dev understands "cool," good. If they think "cool" is something that includes real-time generated maps and oxygen gauges...

Don't forget the wingsuits man.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Net_Wrecker said:
WAT.

WAT.

Are you for real? Sigh...The only dangers on the track should be your character's rivals gunning for your head, or a natural disaster like an avalanche on the 3rd lap of a track, or a crumbling ice cave. Fear of freezing, or losing oxygen is a joke.

But still, I need gameplay.
Laps? This isn't Snowboard Kids.

bridegur

There better be a lot more thought put into the courses than those bullet points let on. Anyone that's ever played an SSX game could tell you that the smart, crazy track design was one of the series' best aspects.

Plinko said:
This honestly sounds like one of the worst ideas I've ever heard, but who knows.

:lol I agree. But then again we're probably just crazy, who wouldn't want to play a level where it's so windy you keep being pushed to the side or another where your boarder is so cold that he protests your commands and shivers uncontrollably rather than performs tricks?

Seriously, what the FUCK is this.

Steroyd

Rewind? Why put in a rewind when the respawn button was fine as is.

And I don't like the thought of SSX-ifying generated mountains, it should be the other way round SSX tracks based of real mountains if they're going to go this route.

Noen of this info is doing it for me.

Elixist

Why couldnt we just get some 60fps tricky style shit? Huh Ea? This is gonna be some 30 frames motion blurred the fuck out bullshit. I just wanted colorful 60 frames with awesome online races, maybe a split screen career is that too much too ask ? Love to eat crow on this and it turning out to be a great game we'll see.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Elixist said:
Why couldnt we just get some 60fps tricky style shit? Huh Ea? This is gonna be some 30 frames motion blurred the fuck out bullshit. I just wanted colorful 60 frames with awesome online races, maybe a split screen career is that too much too ask ? Love to eat crow on this and it turning out to be a great game we'll see.
I agree with everything.

Some of this stuff sounds interesting, but not in an SSX game. I wonder what the life of this game was. I wonder if it was ever something else.

domlolz

Banned
this is probably going to be shit, sell shit and the SSX series will never be touched again.

If you do want HD SSX I suggest emulation, seems like the only option

Top Bottom