• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why aren't there more Nintendo Sega Crossovers?

tkscz

These two companies have made plenty of games to rival each other over the years, enough to make something more than just a set of ok to boring mini-game collections, yet there never seems to be anything more than that. I'd love to see cross-overs between Fire Emblem and Valkyria Chronicles, Splatoon and Jet Set Radio or even Xenoblade and Phantasy Star. My best guess is Nintendo is the one keeping it from happening but I'd love to see more cross overs. Anyone else agree?

Megatron

Nintendo can release a game that sells millions and keep all the money, or release a game that sells millions and split it with Sega which would you do?

I doubt it's Nintendo that keeps it from happening. If they approved a MARIO and rabbids crossover, why wouldn't they approve a Mario and sonic game? Assuming Sega was willing to do all the work, so I assume they aren't willing.

Sorcerer

As far as Sega goes, Nintendo holds all the power. Sonic is the one thing that Sega has that would ensure a successful crossover. (Financially at least). In every other case crossing anything Nintendo with Sega, its going to sell because of Nintendo and not Sega. Letting Sonic have anything to do with Mario is a gift to Sega. This is coming from a Sega fan.

All things considered, there have actually been a lot. Crossovers are, sort of by definition, rare. If you crossover constantly, you’re basically talking about merging the universes.

I think they've done a lot of them, especially if we're counting Sonic showing up in Nintendo stuff. Now if we're talking Nintendo characters showing up in Sega franchises... that's been few and far between but I'd reckon it's because Sega has a wing that does very un kid friendly stuff so there naturally wouldn't be a lot of cross over.

Also, Sega has had a rough track record for games that would fit Nintendo characters. I could legit see Nintendo not having a problem with Sonic gracing Mario games but wants Mario nowhere near stuff like Sonic 06, 4/Episodes, etc.

NeonZ

These two companies have made plenty of games to rival each other over the years, enough to make something more than just a set of ok to boring mini-game collections, yet there never seems to be anything more than that. I'd love to see cross-overs between Fire Emblem and Valkyria Chronicles, Splatoon and Jet Set Radio or even Xenoblade and Phantasy Star. My best guess is Nintendo is the one keeping it from happening but I'd love to see more cross overs. Anyone else agree?

I just don't think there's much interest from either party. Valkyria Chronicles only next year is getting a game in a Nintendo console and Phantasy Star nowadays is pretty much only PSO2, which also only now is getting a port to a Nintendo console.

Taker666

It's not like Sega have much in the way of major franchises these days.

As far as a Mario & Sonic platformer? ..

... frankly I wouldn't trust Sega to make the game.

I'd sooner Nintendo got the license and had a go at making a Sonic game themselves...over Sega being allowed to make a Mario & Sonic game.

Wiped89

Nintendo is very careful about its properties. Spin offs like Mario at the Olympics or the Rabbids game are one thing but there is no way Nintendo would allow any other studio to create a mainline Mario platformer of any kind. Especially Sega, let's be honest, with how poorly received all the recent Sonic games have been.

ThaPhantom

If Sonic and Mario were to crossover I would want to see it in an RPG of some sort. I cant fathom them working in a platformer together.

amdb00mer

If Sonic and Mario were to crossover I would want to see it in an RPG of some sort. I cant fathom them working in a platformer together.

This right here. Sonic is all about speed and Mario, not so much. The game would have to be broken up and have Sonic levels and Mario levels. Then again, if there was a superb level designer out there they could design levels that Mario and Sonic both could work on maybe, but would just be too much work. The RPG idea would seem more of a fit and those silly Olympic games (which, we might get on Switch next year).

They could do "two worlds collide" and all that. Keep the two separate, start it off where Sonic is in Sonic looking levels and Mario is in Mario looking levels. Eventually Mario starts to be in levels that look like a Sonic game and Sonic starts having these Mario looking stuff in his levels. Enemies start crossing over and the final boss is Bonk, revealing himself to be immortal like Vandal Savage, who is out to destroy both worlds so that the darkest time line (NEC rule) occurs.

Top Bottom