• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New PS3 Model pics leaked

hmmm, but do you think that size comparison is accurate? I don't really care if the PSU is internal, I just want it smaller with less heat.

I don't know about that, All I am pointing out is that around 20% of internal space will be taken up by the PSU, and additional cooling will be required. If it was external I believe Sony could have cut the size by a further 30%. I think it would have been worth it, however with a 190W PSU maybe they decided that it would just be too big and cumbersome to be external. Most laptop PSUs are 50-90W, so this would basically be double the size of the largest laptop PSU which is probably quite big.

Afrikan

*edit*
cpTzF.jpg

If this is accurate then I am definitely in.

these size comparisons always remind me of those Star Trek books that show the size comparison of the various ships.

The Phat was like Super Capital Ship. o_O

This leak is very early, I wonder if sony will wait until Gamescon to announce it or give in and announce it ASAP to avoid damages of crappy/mock images of this revision.

Sad part is, the leak will probably bring down PS3 sales until the new console hits shelves.

Poor sony, always out of luck.

Erasus

2 questions:

1. Does it YLOD?
2. Is it ps2 backwards comptable?

1. They have probably ditched that specific error code now. But can it overheat? Sure. But if the Cell and RSX is made smaller = they emit less heat. Plus I hope the cooling is as good as the PS3 Slim is

2. Probably not as they have HD Classics on PS3 and PS2 games in the PSStore now.

Also as others have said, those are pretty obvious questions...

Yeah real silly when both my fat and slim YLOD'd. I don't mind you wiring some money to my paypal account.

Oh wow how the hell did your Slim get YLOD? Do you clean it at all??? How hot is it in your room? Does it get ventilated?

Ah, juniors... Enjoy your stay here.

This leak is very early, I wonder if sony will wait until Gamescon to announce it or give in and announce it ASAP to avoid damages of crappy/mock images of this revision.

Sad part is, the leak will probably bring down PS3 sales until the new console hits shelves.

Poor sony, always out of luck.

Didn't happen last time.
Why announce it now anyway? It might not be available until September, they may announce an immediate price cut on the existing design though.

Actually I thought GC was the start of August, now I see it's more than a month away :/

Kujo

My speculation, but I'd say August release with these prices:

16GB - $169
250GB - $199
500GB - $249 (game bundle)

$149 for the 16GB would be amazing, but I don't know if they can swing that low yet.

Enlil

Why would anyone need to send you money? If PlayStations keep breaking down on you then stop buying them and move on with your life.

The stupidity is quite overwhelming. What am i going to do with all these ps2 games and ps3 games if this machines keeps YLOD?

stop your fanboy remarks.

omonimo

Banned
I am a bit confused. What it has exactly of so horrible? Not seems nothing of so different to the first fat model but slimmer. I imagine a lot people here hate the fat model at this point but it's a news to me, because I found the opinion of the people here most of the time really contradictory now. Maybe it's just for the grill surface, ok I concur just for that part.

Ran rp

Erm yes, it's exactly the same why would it suddenly look better?

Also an awful design, why the hell would I want a toploader when it's sitting on a shelf, under my TV, packed away? I'd have to get on my knees and start rummaging around all the way in there to change a disc.

Then don't buy one.

Adamm

The stupidity is quite overwhelming. What am i going to do with all these ps2 games and ps3 games if this machines keeps YLOD?

Are you serious? Leaked pictures of a console & you ask will it YLOD?
What sort of answer do you expect?

We dont know anything about this console, but i think we can all safely assume that it is still possible for the hardware to break

Enlil

Are you serious? Leaked pictures of a console & you ask will it YLOD?
What sort of answer do you expect?

We dont know anything about this console, but i think we can all safely assume that it is still possible for the hardware to break

you are right

Speevy

Banned
I have a PS3, but this new model makes me want to play it less.

Is there anything worse than an unattractive console? I think not.

flattie

I don't think the people buying PS3's right now are really close followers of gaming news.

This. The leak (if true) won't have a significant effect on current sales purely because for those that follow the industry and are attracted by the idea of a PSThree, they would more than likely already be aware one is coming and be waiting anyway. If anything (judging by their reception), these images are more likely to make some people just get a normal PS3 anyway.

3DS dropped to $169. So did PSP back in 2007
I thought someone would mention the 3DS.

Handheld + Nintendo + Unfavorable exchange rate.

Wasn't aware of the PSP.

$169/$179 doesn't really conform to a psychological price point - it doesn't really have a great impact.

Adamm

This. The leak (if true) won't have a significant effect on current sales purely because for those that follow the industry and are attracted by the idea of a PSThree, they would more than likely already be aware one is coming. If anything (judging by their reception)these images are more likely to make some people just get a normal PS3 anyway.

So what your saying is that Sony leaked these pictures on purpose, to make people rush out and by a slim before they are replaced with this monstrosity?

Auskeek

Oh wow how the hell did your Slim get YLOD? Do you clean it at all??? How hot is it in your room? Does it get ventilated?

Ah, juniors... Enjoy your stay here.

uhhhh... do people actually clean their consoles? I'd understand if someone poured a bucket of dust on it, but I hardly clean any of my electronics unless I'm moving furniture. I can't imagine others are much different.

Rolf NB

I don't know about that, All I am pointing out is that around 20% of internal space will be taken up by the PSU, and additional cooling will be required. If it was external I believe Sony could have cut the size by a further 30%. I think it would have been worth it, however with a 190W PSU maybe they decided that it would just be too big and cumbersome to be external. Most laptop PSUs are 50-90W, so this would basically be double the size of the largest laptop PSU which is probably quite big.
Those beliefs are absolutely insane for reasons I'm tired of explaining another million times.

All I need to know is the price point. £150 or lower new as RRP and I'll finally get a PS3. Especially when supermarkets/online stores throw in their discounts.

uhhhh... do people actually clean their consoles? I'd understand if someone poured a bucket of dust on it, but I hardly clean any of my electronics unless I'm moving furniture. I can't imagine others are much different.

I dust all my electronics regularly and drape a cloth cover over them when I am not using them. Its served me well so far, the only console that has ever broken on me is the 360...

Erasus

Holy shit I do not want to be the one opening your computer. Its caked with dust by now dude

GeoramA

Pretty noticeable difference in size compared to the current slim. I really like this shape much better. Never liked the way the current slim looked, especially when it's vertical.

I guess I'm going to hold off getting my PS3 repaired. Hopefully it's announced soon.

kvn

Hardware breaks sometimes. News at eleven. What kind of question is this? Your stupidity is quite overwhelming.

Loudninja

Pretty noticeable difference in size compared to the current slim. I really like this shape much better. Never liked the way the current slim looked, especially when it's vertical.

I guess I'm going to hold off getting my PS3 repaired. Hopefully it's announced soon.
GDC most likely.

Its weird how similar everything is right now.

JaseMath

I still play my PS phat regularly, but man is it LOUD. It has BC...wonder how much I could get for it...?

New one looks nice IMO.

Globox_82

Banned
All I need to know is the price point. £150 or lower new as RRP and I'll finally get a PS3. Especially when supermarkets/online stores throw in their discounts.

I think it would be best for you to wait until it's free....and Sony is willing to deliver at your home address.

Top Bottom