• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DayZ - zombie apocalypse online FFA permadeath survival Arma II mod

So is everyone who bought ARMA2 for this going through steam or the BI store? earlier in this thread there was talk of the Steam version's potential complications. Anyone run into those problems or is it better to just go with BI?

ksimm

So is everyone who bought ARMA2 for this going through steam or the BI store? earlier in this thread there was talk of the Steam version's potential complications. Anyone run into those problems or is it better to just go with BI?

I went with the BI store, but then I had Arma 2 as retail already.

Nemic77

No problems with Steam here... I just made sure to run each game individually before starting the mod, and you have to chose "Combined Operations" when playing DayZ

kodt

Banned

I have the steam version and have had no issues. I think most of the issues came up when patches came out in the past, but did not come out for the Steam version right away. I don't think that has happened recently.

Asparagus

I went via the BI store since it's cheaper here (UK), downloaded and installed both games which was very quick and used the six updater program to update the game and grab the mod. No issues or anything, pretty painless overall.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I think I'm going to just wait until Wednesday so I have more money and then just buy Operation Arrowhead instead of being impatient and buying CO off Steam. If CO was 20 then I'd be all over this but I'm willing to feel like I paid more and just buy OA in a couple days.

Blizzard

Banned
I got the $30 combined operations on Steam and after runing both games and restarting Steam a few times it seemed to work.

I definitely think the concept of fortifying buildings would add something nice to the game. Given the dreadful open/close mechanics and the lack of many worthwhile buildings right now, it might not be possible in mod form, but maybe if it becomes a stand alone game?

Imagine you're in a gang of 3, which started off as a group of 10 but gradually got picked off by zombies and bandits. You wanted to make it out of the city by nightfall but got stuck in a Mexican standoff that went awry, and the last of your group is moving slowly block to block in the city, trying to avoid zombies, when you see a torch flash in one of the buildings. You go to the front door and it's barricaded, but you hear a voice on the other side: "you can come in, but it's gonna cost you". The 3 of you barely have anything valuable left, but you give most of it up in return for safety - they remove the barricades, you enter, and they re-barricade the building up. This will be your home for the night.

I definitely think the concept of fortifying buildings would add something nice to the game. Given the dreadful open/close mechanics and the lack of many worthwhile buildings right now, it might not be possible in mod form, but maybe if it becomes a stand alone game?

Imagine you're in a gang of 3, which started off as a group of 10 but gradually got picked off by zombies and bandits. You wanted to make it out of the city by nightfall but got stuck in a Mexican standoff that went awry, and the last of your group is moving slowly block to block in the city, trying to avoid zombies, when you see a torch flash in one of the buildings. You go to the front door and it's barricaded, but you hear a voice on the other side: "you can come in, but it's gonna cost you". The 3 of you barely have anything valuable left, but you give most of it up in return for safety - they remove the barricades, you enter, and they re-barricade the building up. This will be your home for the night.

There are dozens of ideas to improve this mod [without removing permadeath].

To be honest I don't know if Bohemia is up to the task... I'd really like Valve to buy this out and sell as their own but Valve would remove permadeath the very second they buy it.

legacyzero

Banned
Wandering through Elektro at night, ALONE. Now THAT is tension!

I found a church with a Winchester and ammo in it. It was dark as hell! I was prone while picking up the rifle, when suddenly this figure go crouch walking by!!!! Scared the SHIT out of me! I dont think he saw me....

That Wincheser is amazing though.

To be honest I don't know if Bohemia is up to the task... I'd really like Valve to buy this out and sell as their own but Valve would remove permadeath the very second they buy it.

I agree that Permadeath needs to stay, BUT I have ideas that would make it a little less punishing, and make staying alive more rewarding. As the poster that you quoted said, THIS GAME NEEDS SAFEHOUSES! And ways to store the stuff that you have found! I'm a loot hoarder, and if you've played a TON of Minecraft like I have, it's nice to have a place to put all of the spoils that you've earned. AND have a place to call home

Blizzard

Banned
Oh man, the door open close thing. I found my way into some little tower/building with doors on I think 3 sides. I was facing directly at one door, I saw the <> thing, tried opening the door, and then I'd find a giant barn door like SIX FEET BEHIND ME had opened, exposing me to whatever might have been out there.

You go to the front door and it's barricaded, but you hear a voice on the other side: "you can come in, but it's gonna cost you". The 3 of you barely have anything valuable left, but you give most of it up in return for safety - they remove the barricades, you enter, and they re-barricade the building up. Then they shoot you in the head.This will be your home for the night.
I think this would be more accurate.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I agree that Permadeath needs to stay, BUT I have ideas that would make it a little less punishing, and make staying alive more rewarding. As the poster that you quoted said, THIS GAME NEEDS SAFEHOUSES! And ways to store the stuff that you have found! I'm a loot hoarder, and if you've played a TON of Minecraft like I have, it's nice to have a place to put all of the spoils that you've earned. AND have a place to call home

Needs to be more punishing. Wish there was a 2 hour cooldown, or maybe 6 before respawn. The more you value your life the more craziness comes from it.

KKRT00

You meant CCP, right?

Valve hasnt done anything even remotely comparable to this.

legacyzero

Banned
Needs to be more punishing. Wish there was a 2 hour cooldown, or maybe 6 before respawn. The more you value your life the more craziness comes from it.

There's a point when something just becomes unfun. I just want to play the game. I agree with losing all my shit, but not being able to play after dying seems a bit overboard.

kodt

Banned

That would be sweet. However, to make permadeath still punishing, the safe-house will be secured with a key that only your character has, when you die, the key is dropped with you and can be looted. This way another player could steal your entire stash.

If the safe-house is too secure, then dying won't matter as you can just run back to the safe-house and recover your gear.

Perhaps there should be a way to break in as well, but we don't want it to be so easy that all safe-houses just get looted all the time.

Enco

There's a point when something just becomes unfun. I just want to play the game. I agree with losing all my shit, but not being able to play after dying seems a bit overboard.
This.

There's a limit. If I can't play for hours then I'll just say fuck it. A game shouldn't tell me when I can and can't play.

LiquidMetal14

This.

There's a limit. If I can't play for hours then I'll just say fuck it. A game shouldn't tell me when I can and can't play.

So give me the jist here so I'm fully comprehending. You die and you can't join that server or particular game again?

mxgt

Banned
First experience with this mod is a very good one.

After exploring around for ages I made the extreme mistake of firing a CZ 50 in a heavy zombie area. Being out of ammo for my pistol and CZ, I was fucked. I saw about 10 zombies charging towards me so I ran, and ran and ran for about 15 minutes until I came across a barn PRAYING that there was a weapon inside. My prayers were answered when I found a Winchester with a shit load of ammo and I blew the fuck out of the zombies as they entered 1 by 1. Still alive!

kodt

Banned
So give me the jist here so I'm fully comprehending. You die and you can't join that server or particular game again?

Some people say it should work like that. It does not do that currently, you can just keep respawning as many times as you want right now. And I think that is fine b/c you spawn in a random location and you lose everything.

Safehouse is a good idea but it has to be prefectly tuned. If I encounter some other dudes safehouse I should use picklocks/ crowbar to force open it and steal his stuff. Just imagine crawling back to your safehouse which stores blood and food after 5 hour sessions full of on the brink of death moments only to find it... looted. Ha!

Manac0r

So as concept setting up tents as perma-storage, then being able to set traps in the area would be a nice idea. Plus being able to disarm traps, I just want to build me a fort and wait for the apocalypse.

Enco

What kodt said.

I think tents are meant to hold your stuff so if you die and can make it back to your tent quickly, you can get your stuff back.

If you get banned from a server what happens when you're banned from all of them? Can never play again? Bad idea I think.

SparkTR

I'm pretty sure that's what tents are intended to do, but they are a bit glitched at the moment. Though anybody can loot them when you're gone, so you have to hide them sufficiently (which isn't hard considering how large the map is).

LiquidMetal14

Some people say it should work like that. It does not do that currently, you can just keep respawning as many times as you want right now. And I think that is fine b/c you spawn in a random location and you lose everything.

That's the way it should be then. I don't want to be filtered on when I can or can't play. I'm now debating on it instead of just outright wanting it.

Slair

That's the way it should be then. I don't want to be filtered on when I can or can't play. I'm now debating on it instead of just outright wanting it.

You're never gonna be punished for dying like that, you will always be able to respawn. some people are just musing on the forums about stuff they'd think would make it more survival-y

LiquidMetal14

You're never gonna be punished for dying like that, you will always be able to respawn. some people are just musing on the forums about stuff they'd think would make it more survival-y

Just for practice, I went in on ARMA II to get a feel for the controls but this one server I was in basically glitched and all of us kept warping about 20 feet above the ground and landing hard on our feet. About the third time that happened we were all crippled and I'm out of season and didn't know how to do anything.

This is a game where the vets or more savvy people need to help fellow uninformed gaffers. It won't be fun if idiots are just preying on helpless people.

Safehouse is a good idea but it has to be prefectly tuned. If I encounter some other dudes safehouse I should use picklocks/ crowbar to force open it and steal his stuff. Just imagine crawling back to your safehouse which stores blood and food after 5 hour sessions full of on the brink of death moments only to find it... looted. Ha!

They could let you bury stashes. Of course you'd have to remember exactly where you buried them.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
They could let you bury stashes. Of course you'd have to remember exactly where you buried them.

Something like this is an excellent idea. Also, every time someone is killed by a zombie, their character and load out is 'zombified' on a server somewhere. Odds of you running into your own zombie are next to none, but the chance of running into a zombie with goodies is much better. A sense of excitement and individuality to your encounters and discoveries.

Ultimately the game needs to keep 'survive' as the only objective. And keep it vague. No method to survival, no formula, no system, no nothing. Just 'survive'. Build content and mechanics around this, lots of optional ways to play and interact with the world, and people will enjoy it without having to work towards dumb carrot-on-a-stick objectives that become undone with a single stray bullet.

Something like this is an excellent idea. Also, every time someone is killed by a zombie, their character and load out is 'zombified' on a server somewhere. Odds of you running into your own zombie are next to none, but the chance of running into a zombie with goodies is much better. A sense of excitement and individuality to your encounters and discoveries.

Ultimately the game needs to keep 'survive' as the only objective. And keep it vague. No method to survival, no formula, no system, no nothing. Just 'survive'. Build content and mechanics around this, lots of optional ways to play and interact with the world, and people will enjoy it without having to work towards dumb carrot-on-a-stick objectives that become undone with a single stray bullet.

Hopefully they allow you to become zombies at some point in the development. It's one thing I loved about CSS:Zombie mod.

Nemic77

As I said earlier in the thread, I've seen a building barricated with barbwire at the NW airfield. Since it only has one door, whatever is inside can't be reached by anyone other than who place that barbwire. The bastard even left a rare LMG viewable from the window...

But yeah, the abilty to barricade doors individually would be awesome.

DemonNite

game sounds awesome. I highly doubt I'll be able to get this game to play it though which is a shame (got "another" game coming soon next week)... but I'm wondering if the influx of new players will ruin the experience. The feeling of being alone and finding that rare encounter of another human is what makes it great from what I've seen.. what do you think? I guess the server limit will help

As I said earlier in the thread, I've seen a building barricated with barbwire at the NW airfield. Since it only has one door, whatever is inside can't be reached by anyone other than who place that barbwire. The bastard even left a rare LMG viewable from the window...

But yeah, the abilty to barricade doors individually would be awesome.

It seems the mod is so vast (like ArmA2) that most people playing it (who bought ArmA2 just for DayZ) didn't find even 10% of items/ features. But hey it's difficult to find/ research anything if you die every 4 hours... and have jank UI, no tutorial etc.

Blizzard

Banned
game sounds awesome. I highly doubt I'll be able to get this game to play it though which is a shame (got "another" game coming soon next week)... but I'm wondering if the influx of new players will ruin the experience. The feeling of being alone and finding that rare encounter of another human is what makes it great from what I've seen.. what do you think? I guess the server limit will help
Servers were packed with 50 people each, people were constantly connecting and disconnecting and presumably DDOS'ing the server by doing so, it takes like 5 years (or 5 minutes or whatever) to connect and spawn a new character, and yet I don't think I saw a single human. I heard one gunshot but that was it. If I had wanted to meet up with the GAF people who were playing I would have had to literally hold down the run button for an hour or two straight, I was told.

MNC

You guys know about tents right. Tents are a good way to help around the perma-death situation.

I think the plan is that you can put up tents somewhere and store stuff inside them, and come back to them with it all there. Currently they disappear when you die but I don't believe that is supposed to happen.

I think this will help for a bit of stability across characters and feeling of progression all the time because you can set up a camp of sorts that you can always come back to. Obviously though its open to being found and stolen from, and you potentially spawn a long way away from it.

Also, 100player servers would be perfect IMO.

Tents would break the whole point of one character completely. It would be like some kind of savefunction, except a bit harder, where you could put your stuff before you die.

Was discussing this earlier, a wishlist of sorts:

- Fortifying/RTS elements (Making your own stronghold which you would be able to call your own, but also could be attacked and whatnot. Fortified with barbwire, fences, what have you)
- More different ways of creating food. This might be a very longshot: but what about farming? Think of farming in the broadest sense. Being able to have some way of continually creating food (be it by planting/harvesting, animals?) it would create an economy, and you'd also have to worry about raiders. LOL PLANTS VS ZOMBIES

Actually the simple way it is at the moment works really well. It just needs more: more vehicles, more weapons, more food kinds.

ksimm

The mod needs bicycles! I had fun in the editor with zombies running after me whilst I trolled them ringing my bell. :D

I love the idea of digging holes for your loot. It would be great to kill a bandit, take his map and see the location of their stash on it for rich pickings. You could have it so the bandit could respawn and the two of you end up scrambling for the location. The bandit would be desperate to reposition his stash, whilst the survivor runs off in search of treasure. Of course the mapless bandit would have to try and remember where it was, and the survivor could find bugger all, hmmmm lovely.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
That's the big problem: people want fear of permadeath without permadeath...

I wish permadeath is this was more permanent than hitting respawn and being back in the game. A lot of you complain that you want to just play, but with a mod like this that's actually turning a lot of the results into a sort of social experiment, I say let em try it, make it tougher, make your one life more valuable.

I guess I don't want generic 'fun' - I want tense environments, I want to come out of it feeling like I had an experience over an 'enjoyable time' - and the more meaningful your life is, the more interesting things come up.

Blizzard

Banned
That's the big problem: people want fear of permadeath without permadeath...
Take the risk versus the reward. Doing anything aside from the south coast takes hours of travel. If you work a fulltime job and have limited time in the evenings to play, do you want to spend 2 hours just crouchwalking to where you actually want to play? And if you happen to attract zombies, you're almost certainly going to have to kill them because as far as I can understand they will never stop chasing you, ever, unless you have a smoke bomb or someone else for them to eat?

It just seems like too much risk to me, kind of like the Nether in Minecraft (at least before they added some new things to it), without much of a reward. Finding a sniper rifle might be a nice reward, but it's just something else to increase your chances of death from both humans and zombies, and if you found it in the north, it means you have to walk hours to get anywhere close again once you die.

To describe it another way, it feels too grindy to me. It's like Nethack in that you carefully go through dungeon crawling levels to get loot...except you don't get abilities, level ups, stat improvements, or much loot in a lot of places.

Or maybe like an MMO where you spend a couple of hours grinding through some valley to get loot or levels, but there's no reward for it unless you enjoy the grinding process and accumulating as many weapons as possible, since the risk would hardly seem to go down. Even in Nethack, a VERY punishing game, you can wear an amulet of life-saving.

I wish permadeath is this was more permanent than hitting respawn and being back in the game. A lot of you complain that you want to just play, but with a mod like this that's actually turning a lot of the results into a sort of social experiment, I say let em try it, make it tougher, make your one life more valuable.

I guess I don't want generic 'fun' - I want tense environments, I want to come out of it feeling like I had an experience over an 'enjoyable time' - and the more meaningful your life is, the more interesting things come up.
But this is neither very compatible with people who have limited playing time, nor very appropriate since the game is such a crapshoot. Is your life truly valuable or meaningful if the game just HAPPENS to spawn 20 zombies near you rather than 2? Is it rewarding for you to walk 2 hours to an airfield and die in one shot from a sniper (assuming snipers are one shot, since I haven't actually been hit by one).

In terms of life being valuable if you have social interaction with other players, yes it can lead to good experiences, but the game seems to hinder such things.

How would people feel about this being made into a free to play game where when you die, you can either pay a dollar to respawn immediately or wait 24 hours?

Top Bottom