• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I don't care what you've heard, watched or read. PLAY DARK SOULS 2 before you die

wiibomb

Counter argument: Don't waste your time. Play Demon's Souls, Dark Souls, Dark Souls 3 or Bloodborne instead.

yes yes yes...

yes

for the record, I don't hate DS2, I just believe the other 4 are superior in everything except in character creation.

This.....

+Easier? I don't think that's a normal opinion.

Throne Watcher, Throne Defender, and Nashandra??? Fuck that.

INFINITELY worse than Gwyn at the very least.
Nashandra was probably the most disappointing boss in the whole series. Took her out in one try and was incredibly surprised that that was it.

Sotha_Sil

Build diversity was great, and I even enjoyed the lore, story, and NPCs.

That level design though, yikes. I liked Heide's Tower of Flame for the vistas and The Gutter for its uniqueness, otherwise I can't think of a single area I'd enjoy revisiting. Majula was an inspired design, though.

At least Dark Souls had Anor Londo, Forbidden Forest, Archives, Undead Berg, Sen's Fortress, etc.

Tagyhag

Counter argument: Don't waste your time. Play Demon's Souls, Dark Souls, Dark Souls 3 or Bloodborne instead.

This, Dark Souls 2 isn't a bad game, it's just the weakest in the Souls Series.

I agree on build variety OP, but there's a reason as to why you didn't mention the bosses, lore, and hitboxes.

ActWan

Loved it. I finished the main game recently and got only the final DLC left...a masterpiece IMO and way better than 1.

gogosox82

I hated it at first but then grew to love it.

I agree, it's a must play and has the best build variety and PVP of the series.

Agree with this. I kind of have a love/hate relationship with it but I've grown to love it. I will say that I really don't like the Scholar of the first Sin version and would suggest people play the vanilla version with all of the dlc. Just really hated the enemy placements in scholar.

I beat DS2 back on PS3, remember thinking it was fine at the time but didn’t bother with the dlc. I’ve since gotten SOTFS on current gen and I can’t get more than a few bosses deep without putting it down. The movement feels so bad compared to the other Souls games I don’t know how I ever finished it in the first place.

Spacejaws

You know what is awesome about the Soul series? Is that it is heavily debatable which ones are the best out of the entire series. Generally a big series will have the obvious dud or accepted loser of a great series (Metal Gear Solid 4? Sunshine? Skyward Sword?) but Souls seems like everybody is completely devided for different reasons and it seems like a huge testemant to how much quality is in the series in general.

Demon Souls is life! Hope the others die in a fire! FIGHT ME!

sjboi

As someone who loves the role-playing aspect of these games, Dark Souls 2 is my favorite in the series (and Bloodborne my least favorite, fwiw). I remember being slightly disappointed my first playthrough because the game world is not as genius and memorable as DS1. But DS2 is so vast, with so many awesome weapons and outfits and secrets and play styles, that at this point it is easily my most played Souls game. RPG elements are important, I’m here for fashion Souls! And I don’t think the gameplay was any worse than the other games, just a bit slower and more methodical.

theofficefan99

I played DS2 for like 10 minutes at a friend's house. Sadly after experiencing Bloodborne I don't think I can even bother with DS2 (assuming I'll ever even manage to beat BB lol). The art direction in BB and DS3 just take a massive shit over DS2.

Hmehhh... Majula is a great theme though.

It's not a bad game, but it really tarnishes, at the very least, the consistency of the souls series, in that it feels quite a bit off in so many ways compared to the others.

Fou-Lu

*Pictures a 90 year old Fou-Lu in the hospital after being diagnosed with terminal cancer. He has gotten the nurses to set up a PS3 with Dark Souls II. "I can't let ajb1888 down!"*

Wolfe

I will admit Majula actually bores me to death, it just feels so lifeless... which honestly doesn't feel like a good criticism given it's a souls game but I dunno, it just didn't click with me.

I beat DS2 more times than all the other souls games because I played it again on PS4 with my friend lol...that said, it’s easily the worst from soft soulsborne game.

But compared to other games, it’s very good lol.

That said and all...

The main problem with DS2 is that it lost the magic of DS1 which was the interconnected world. DS2 has Majula, and while it was a peaceful place, it just didn’t have that map magic that DS1 had...and that was HUGE FACTOR whether you realize it or not. I’d say 75% of how good DS1 is because how the world was structured.

Also, DS2 is a very bloated game, too many samey bosses, too many areas...uninspired areas as well, too many weapons, etc.

I just hope From Software makes a BB2 or a new game.

ajb1888

Banned
*Pictures a 90 year old Fou-Lu in the hospital after being diagnosed with terminal cancer. He has gotten the nurses to set up a PS3 with Dark Souls II. "I can't let ajb1888 down!"*

hahaha 😂 Recommend they plug a PS4 instead tho

Scott667

While it had its good moments, I found it largely sort of unremarkable? It's not bad or anything, but I liked Demon's and Dark 1 a lot more (still need to play Dark 3 and Bloodborne).

Quick Question though: did anyone else accidentally end up at the Throne of Want after getting the King's Ring? I wasn't following a guide or anything, so I just went the to first place I could think of to try out the ring. As I had no idea what I was doing, I headed down the pathway and encountered Throne Watcher and Throne Defender, who I somehow managed to beat on my first try (100% luck, I am by no means a good souls player..... at all).

I just find it weird that to me the most memorable thing about the game was the shear sense of confusion I felt when, after finally taking down those guys (I play a very slow and defensive character, so it took a long time, especially as they can heal each other), the game just did not acknowledge it in the slightest. There was no cutscene, there was no item drop, there was no 'primal bonfire', there was no explanation.I felt that for what seemed like a 'big climatic area' with such a long pathway to it, there was just *nothing*. Did From Software just not think that anyone would head down that way?

I agree on build variety OP, but there's a reason as to why you didn't mention the bosses, lore, and hitboxes.

This myth that hitboxes aren't often faulty in DS1 is still a thing huh

And DS2 is just as good when it comes to lore.

Quick Question though: did anyone else accidentally end up at the Throne of Want after getting the King's Ring? I wasn't following a guide or anything, so I just went the to first place I could think of to try out the ring. As I had no idea what I was doing, I headed down the pathway and encountered Throne Watcher and Throne Defender, who I somehow managed to beat on my first try (100% luck, I am by no means a good souls player..... at all).

I just find it weird that to me the most memorable thing about the game was the shear sense of confusion I felt when, after finally taking down those guys (I play a very slow and defensive character, so it took a long time, especially as they can heal each other), the game just did not acknowledge it in the slightest. There was no cutscene, there was no item drop, there was no 'primal bonfire', there was no explanation.I felt that for what seemed like a 'big climatic area' with such a long pathway to it, there was just *nothing*. Did From Software just not think that anyone would head down that way?

That's the same area you fight the final boss, but you need a key item for that by clearing other areas first. You can either defeat the Throne Watcher and Defender early and then just fight the final boss alone later, or if you hold off on it, you fight them and the last boss in direct succession.

xviper

Dark souls 2 had the best PvP in the series, it's what makes it shine above the rest, but MP eventually dies in every game, and DS2 MP is probably dead by now, i think Dark souls 2 is much better than the awful lazy sequel that is Dark souls 3, Dark souls 2 had the biggest content in the series

but Dark souls 2 is not even close to how good Demon's souls, Dark souls 1 and Bloodborne are

there is an indie game called Salt and Sanctuary, as a Soulsborne veteran who played since Demon's souls, Salt and Sanctaury is much better and more original than Dark souls 3, if you like soulsborne series then you MUST play Salt and Sanctuary

one last thing, no game is perfect ? that is where you are wrong, OP, because Resident evil 4 exist

I don't get the hate for the game, but I really don't get the recent hype over it either.
It's a very good game. Not as good as DS1, 3 or Bloodborne. But still very good. A good Souls game, too. I'd rank it above Demon's Souls, but that's because I'm stupid and can't appreciate that game as much as I want to.

Dark souls 2 had the best PvP in the series, it's what makes it shine above the rest, but MP eventually dies in every game, and DS2 MP is probably dead by now, i think Dark souls 2 is much better than the awful lazy sequel that is Dark souls 3, Dark souls 2 had the biggest content in the series

but Dark souls 2 is not even close to how good Demon's souls, Dark souls 1 and Bloodborne are

there is an indie game called Salt and Sanctuary, as a Soulsborne veteran who played since Demon's souls, Salt and Sanctaury is much better and more original than Dark souls 3, if you like soulsborne series then you MUST play Salt and Sanctuary

one last thing, no game is perfect ? that is where you are wrong, OP, because Resident evil 4 exist

I'm not sure what's lazier, this post or the tired notion that Dark Souls 3 is somehow a lazy sequel.

He should tell them that we miss them.

XS5LK.gif

weekev

Banned
It's the only souls game i have played and I am unlikely to play another one because of it. Didnt enjoy it in the least. Found the setting too bleak, the gameplay slow and cumbersome and the story disinteresting. There was nothing for me there at all.

Certain areas were great - I loved the anor londo type one, the giants battlefield, even the gulch.

The end was weak though I thought - all that dragon bullshit and going back to the castle.

The way in which it did not explain how you needed the giant souls was abysmal.

Plainsong

I bought the GoTY edition really late to the party and I never understood the hate. It may not be as great as some of their other work but it's still great.

takriel

It has easily the worst gameplay and level design out of all the Souls games. I personally put a lot of weight on those, so Dark Souls 2 is a big disappointment for me.

The DLC is mostly great, though.

RaffAO

I can't play it until somebody hacks the right stick camera control to behave like in the other games. It's unplayable for me and I've tried really hard to get used to it.

I'm not really interested in the Souls games, but maybe I'll try them one day.

Is any version of DS2 close to the original (before downgrade) version shown?

Top Bottom