• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War: Ascension (PS3, Series Prequel) - Live stream 8AM PST 4/30

jett

D-Member
I think it's safe to say that if they're only gonna show us multiplayer today I'm gonna be moderately pissed. :lol

Really, multiplayer man? Not every fucking franchise on the face of the planet needs multiplayer.

M.D

Calling it now

Before

"Another God of War? what?! a prequel? I'm so tired of the God of War games, they're all the same! I hope they change something or else I'll have to pass on this title!"

After

"What? multiplayer in my God of War?! who the hell asked them to add multiplayer to the game? it was perfectly fine without multiplayer! I'm tired of devs trying to shove multiplayer into every game! I'M NOT BUYING THIS GAME!"

It's gonna be UC2 all over again.

"MP? That's not gonna work."

"I hope the SP won't suffer."

Just wait and see...
It's not the same at all. UC gameplay always lent itself well to multiplayer and a lot of people were asking it. Some people were just worried because of the size of Naughty Dog at the time

Nobody asked for multiplayer in God of War. At best it'll be tacked on multiplayer that cheapens the overall package. We've seen it dozens of times this gen

salromano

Just got this presser:

Award-Winning Franchise Rises Once Again With God of War: Ascension™, Exclusively For The PlayStation®3 (PS3™) System

Prequel To The Multi-Million Unit Selling Series Details Kratos' Emotional Story of Redemption, While Redefining The Competitive Multiplayer Experience

FOSTER CITY, Calif., April 30, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- Sony Computer Entertainment America LLC (SCEA) announced today plans to release God of War: Ascension™, the newest installment of the multi-million unit selling God of War® franchise, exclusively for the PlayStation®3 computer entertainment system. Developed by Sony Computer Entertainment Worldwide Studios (SCE WWS) Santa Monica Studio, God of War: Ascension is a prequel that will show Kratos' emotional path of redemption, while detailing the rise of his rage to break free from Ares' bond. Epic cinematic storytelling, visceral battles, and blockbuster moments will all be present, along with various enhancements, including a revamped combat system and a brand new online multiplayer mode that combines the brutal gameplay and large-scale battles that God of War is known for to create a competitive experience like never before.

(Logo: http://photos.prnewswire.com/prnh/20020701/SFM066LOGO)

"The bar has been set quite high for this franchise as each God of War title succeeds in being better than the last," said Todd Papy, Game Director, God of War: Ascension, SCE WWS Santa Monica Studio. "But, unlike previous releases, we're providing a deeper look into Kratos' tormented past and psyche that fans have not seen before. Combined with refined gameplay, jaw-dropping visuals, and a fresh twist on competitive gaming with our new online multiplayer mode, I guarantee that God of War: Ascension will give fans what they have been eagerly waiting for, and much more."

For the first time ever in a God of War game, players can compete in online or offline multiplayer battles that combine the fierce combat and scale of the franchise with a unique gameplay experience. Built off of the heart and soul of the single-player campaign, this brand new option can include up to eight players and offers a variety of different multiplayer modes, along with customizable avatar warriors with a range of weapons, armor, and more.

Utilizing state-of-the-art visual technologies, the Santa Monica Studio team has made significant strides to bring unmistakable realism to the gameplay experience. God of War: Ascension will feature a revamped combat and weapon system, promptless mini-games, and new puzzle challenges, coupled with fluid, life-like characters, dynamic lighting effects, and world-changing scenarios that will truly bring Kratos and the environment around him to life.

Set in the realm of Greek mythology, God of War: Ascension is an epic adventure that allows players to take on the climactic role of the ex-Spartan warrior Kratos as he finds a way to break the blood oath that binds him to the god, Ares. Six months after being tricked into killing his wife and child, a younger Kratos is sentenced to a life of madness with the Furies, caged in a titan sized prison for the living damned. Fighting insanity, his will is tested to the limit as he seeks to break his bond and gain the clarity to seek revenge on Ares for his part in the death of his family. Armed with double-chained blades, Kratos must take on mythology's darkest creatures while solving intricate puzzles throughout his merciless quest for redemption.

God of War: Ascension is an action-adventure game that offers an epic single-player story mode, as well as a deep, innovative multiplayer experience. The title has an ESRB rating of "RP" for Rating Pending. A release date has not been set yet. For more information about the ESRB, visit www.esrb.org. For more information about the God of War franchise, visit www.GodofWar.com.

Edit: GamesRadar preview is up! http://www.gamesradar.com/god-war-ascension-multiplayer-preview/

Salih

hah multiplayer; def. what i was expecting and i am eager to know how it will look and play.

Deimos should be playable!

Spiegel

ZNQkM.jpg

Ekh6e.jpg

IrBYm.jpg

GeoramA

The MP implemented in the Uncharted and Mass Effect universe turned out to be pretty damn good. Hope it's the same here, if Gamesradar isn't bullshitting of course.

jett

D-Member
DAT LEAKY SHIP OF LEAKS

man is SSM doing

I guess those are MP pics because that doesn't look as good as GOW3. I didn't ask for this.

Wait. God of War 1 was about seeking redemption over his family

Man are they going to retread this path of an over again?

Just saw those pictures though, got damn

Cyberia

That's how you announce multiplayer, God of War-style. And we've barely even started. A few moments later, the area opens up to reveal characters duelling all over. Because this is eight-player multiplayer. A few seconds more and a furious, horned titan, ensnared by chains, fills the screen. Because this is God of War.

And that, in one hugely impressive sequence, is Ascension's multiplayer in a nutshell: classic team-based action, coupled with the series' trademark technical bravura, epic scale and orgiastic celebration of savagery.

All the focus for now is on multiplayer, but the team isn't forgetting what made the series a success in the first place.

"We didn't want to sacrifice single-player for multiplayer, neither did we want to tack [the latter] on," says McDonald. "We're definitely going full force with both."

On top of that, numerous improvements to the God of War 3 engine have been made. Later on, we visit Sony Santa Monica itself where I see some of the new processes at the point of application.

It's all in the small details. Improved animation and a new collision system mean characters' bare feet now realistically adapt to uneven terrain; meanwhile, the climbing system has been rewritten to make point-to-point movement feel less like you're following a fixed path.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...ascension-preview-introducing-the-gods-of-war

Cyberia

Other elements were discussed briefly, including customization, light RPG elements, and the ability to choose between four patron deities (Hades, Ares, Zeus, and Poseidon), and though they weren’t detailed all that much, they served their purpose of proving that the multiplayer isn’t some tacked-on experiment. In fact, it sort of sounds as though multiplayer might me a major focus of God of War: Ascension.

Sony is taking the competitive side of God of War very, very seriously, and from what we saw they’re doing a good job at bringing something new to the franchise. Time will tell if it’ll fall into the ranks of Assassin’s Creed’s AAA multiplayer or Ninja Gaiden 3’s boring, button-mashing mess, but from what we saw God of War fans have no reason to be worried.

http://www.gamesradar.com/god-war-ascension-multiplayer-preview/

Video inside.

That Sony Santa Monica outright refused to address Ascension's single-player offering beyond noting that it exists and that it features Kratos in a prequel story will undoubtedly frustrate the series' biggest fans.

Nooooooooooooooooooo.

It's all in the small details. Improved animation and a new collision system mean characters' bare feet now realistically adapt to uneven terrain; meanwhile, the climbing system has been rewritten to make point-to-point movement feel less like you're following a fixed path.
Yay sounds like they might be revamping the general movement, that makes me happy. Hopefully they make use of it

Salih

I am really interested to know how customizable your own character is going to be. Hopefully the live stream will shed some light on this.

Nibel

Graphically it looks like a massive step down from GOW3.

These screenshots seem from an early build, and it will look better at release.

Remember: the final GOW 3 looked way better than in its early stages. The E3 demo of GOW3 looked like crap compared to the final version.

Endo Punk

I saw the MP video, I am totally behind it 100% My God SSM didn't just want to make another GoW game they wanted to blow the lid right open :eek:

spats

Remember: the final GOW 3 looked way better than in its early stages. The E3 demo of GOW3 looked like crap compared to the final version.

"lol god of war 2.5"

Endo Punk

And also the fact that this is MP and the SP will look quite a bit better. But still Im impressed with the level of detail that is being shown

Kind of very vaguely reminds me of what SotC was originally supposed to be when reading the previews. The way you're supposed to cooperate to take down titan enemies

Top Bottom