• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Plus Thread: Plus What? PLUS EVERYTHING!

Status
Not open for further replies.

snap0212

kyo_daikun said:
Yeah I think Beta's should be a part of Plus (not just them of course), obviously they want to make sure that they get feedback from the people as well but im sure Plus users would be a good cross section as they are pretty devoted anyway (paying yearly for stuff)
The thing is: They said Betas were part of PS+. They never mentioned anything about additional requirements that you have to meet to actually participate in Betas.

Mrbob

At least someone is finally responding to questions in the PSPlus faq.

Not sure how I feel about the cut down content if Sony is already revising Plus. I am getting my moneys worth so far, but as a service it really needs to expand. If extras start contracting then I'll probably be out when renewal comes around.

snap0212

Mrbob said:
At least someone is finally responding to questions in the PSPlus faq.
Look at the responses. They're a joke. :lol It's basically always this:

Thanks [insert user name here] for your feedback. We’re always trying improve the PlayStation Network experience and services. Use the Share Feature (which we love and read all the time) and stay tuned.

-----

I bet $10 that the only reason for that whole FAQ was to silently make sure to communicate the fact that the Beta promise cannot be kept without giving it too much attention.

snap0212 said:
The thing is: They said Betas were part of PS+. They never mentioned anything about additional requirements that you have to meet to actually participate in Betas.

Yup 100% true, they never said it was conditional or anything, technically all Plus users should be in the LBP2 beta right now and the other one's that are going on (pretty sure I saw someone in a dead nation beta the other day on my friendlist)

snap0212

Shadow780 said:
link? Pretty sure they didn't include CGC promise for +
They did. It was on the official EU PlayStation Plus Website. It's gone now, but here's a Screenshot.

Screenshot

and another one

The German PS.Blog also mentioned it and the guy who wrote the article confirmed it again in the comment section. It's all gone now, of course.

Shadow780

snap0212 said:
They did. It was on the official EU PlayStation Plus Website. It's gone now, but here's a Screenshot.

Screenshot

and another one

The German PS.Blog also mentioned it and the guy who wrote the article confirmed it again in the comment section. It's all gone now, of course.

HAHA, EU dropped the ball. I don't remember NA promising that.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Shadow780 said:
HAHA, EU dropped the ball. I don't remember NA promising that.
It seems like they dropped the feature at the very last second and they forgot to tell the EU branches.

jvm

Gamasutra.
Looks like Japan is getting a free 60-minute trial of ... Go Skydiving! (Along with other things.)

What a deal!

jvm

Gamasutra.
Updates:

Japan got Warhawk (PS3) for free. Discount on PS1 IQ - Intelligent Qube.

Hong Kong got free Heavy Rain stuff (dyn theme and avatars) along with Intelligent Qube discount.

NEED HELP What is the deal on the new Lara Croft game available through the Japan PS+ program?

See here: http://www.jp.playstation.com/psn/plus/

jvm said:
Updates:

Japan got Warhawk (PS3) for free. Discount on PS1 IQ - Intelligent Qube.

Hong Kong got free Heavy Rain stuff (dyn theme and avatars) along with Intelligent Qube discount.

NEED HELP What is the deal on the new Lara Croft game available through the Japan PS+ program?

See here: http://www.jp.playstation.com/psn/plus/

It's a time limited trial of Lara Croft and the Gaurdian of Light. It looks like it will be available for download from September 28th to October 28th.

jvm

Gamasutra.
orson9999999 said:
It's a time limited trial of Lara Croft and the Gaurdian of Light. It looks like it will be available for download from September 28th to October 28th.
I didn't understand why it wasn't listed as part of the other limited trials. Just because of the 28 Sep - 28 Oct date?

jvm said:
I didn't understand why it wasn't listed as part of the other limited trials. Just because of the 28 Sep - 28 Oct date?

I think because it's not part of the usual content update. The first group is listed under 定期更新, meaning the usual monthly update (on the 18th or so), while Lara is under 不定期更新. So, basically because it's available outside of the normal update time.

Agent X

jvm said:
I thought we had this settled. I may have to go to a Sony PR contact and ask for a clarification. :(

I think this may be a misunderstanding or just poor writing.

The current offerings include one of each. I think that one could say that each bi-weekly update includes either an update to the current free PS1 or the current free game, and possibly both. At least, that's what I hope it means. Sony's in for a world of hurt (PR and possibly a legal class action suit) if they try to fudge the games now.

So, jvm, any word yet about these issues? I haven't seen any updates from official Sony gurus on the PlayStation.Blog posts yet, so maybe you'll have more luck with your PR contact.

jvm

Gamasutra.
Agent X said:
So, jvm, any word yet about these issues? I haven't seen any updates from official Sony gurus on the PlayStation.Blog posts yet, so maybe you'll have more luck with your PR contact.
Nope. Let me send an email off now and see if I can get a clarification. Thanks for reminding me.

orson9999999 said:
I think because it's not part of the usual content update. The first group is listed under 定期更新, meaning the usual monthly update (on the 18th or so), while Lara is under 不定期更新. So, basically because it's available outside of the normal update time.
Thanks for the clarification. I appreciate it very much.

No45

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2010...ardian-of-light-and-alien-breed-impact-demos/

Next week: Assassin's Creed beta (For select Plus users?), demo downloads for Guardian of Light (and 50% discount for the PSone Classic) and Alien Breed.

EDIT: I need to read properly, it's:

PlayStation Plus continues to build up steam with October’s first publish. However, before that, next Tuesday Plus members with Automatic Downloads enabled will have Lara Croft’s first PSN adventure, Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light pushed to their console. Square Enix will be bringing the iconic Tomb Raider vixen to the PlayStation Store on September 28 for $14.99. Also to highlight the Lara Croft release Plus members will also be offered the PS one classic, Tomb Raider at a 50% discount.

In early October, the betas for upcoming AAA games kick-off with Assassin’s Creed: Brotherhood and Red Faction Battlegrounds. Select PlayStation Plus members will get their hands on the first-ever multiplayer modes of the Assassin’s Creed franchise. PlayStation Plus subscribers will also receive an automatic download of the Alien Breed: Impact demo. If the demo to this twin stick shooter gets your blood pumping, be sure to pick up the full game for 25% off. The newest PlayStation Plus update is rounded off by a sale on Wakeboarding HD bundle, a free download of Bubble Trubble (a minis from PSN developer extraordinaire Creat Studios), and two new discounted imports.

snap0212

No45 said:
Next week: Assassin's Creed beta (For select Plus users?)
Yes. Sony announced it a couple of weeks ago that Betas are not part of PS+ anymore. Not everyone will get the same stuff and not everyone will get access to the Betas. Not one single Website talked about it, not one single podcast mentioned it, nothing. Bastards at Sony...

venom2124

snap0212 said:
Yes. Sony announced it a couple of weeks ago that Betas are not part of PS+ anymore. Not everyone will get the same stuff and not everyone will get access to the Betas. Not one single Website talked about it, not one single podcast mentioned it, nothing. Bastards at Sony...
Wow, first I'm hearing about that. If I don't get in the assassins creed beta I'm pretty sure I won't renew my plus when it expires. It's been hugely disappointing for me so far, like qore year 2 disappointing. Oh well, live and learn.

AndyD

aka andydumi
snap0212 said:

Well, to be fair they said not every PS+ member will get in to betas rather than no + member. And it logically makes sense from a development point of view.

PS+ still gets you the chance to get into some betas, its just not a guarantee. I guess as more and more people sign up for +, there is no way to guarantee everyone the betas, otherwise they would no longer be betas, but effectively demos.

How can a dev who wants say a limited amount of people in their beta to give feedback, say 1000 people, allow it to go to all + members, which could be tens or hundreds of thousands or millions? Media Molecule probably wants beta feedback from experienced LBP creators. Zipper wants MAG feedback from previous players and so forth.

snap0212

AndyD said:
Well, to be fair they said not every PS+ member will get in to betas rather than no + member. And it logically makes sense from a development point of view.

PS+ still gets you the chance to get into some betas, its just not a guarantee. I guess as more and more people sign up for +, there is no way to guarantee everyone the betas, otherwise they would no longer be betas, but effectively demos.

How can a dev who wants say a limited amount of people in their beta to give feedback, say 1000 people, allow it to go to all + members, which could be tens or hundreds of thousands or millions? Media Molecule probably wants beta feedback from experienced LBP creators. Zipper wants MAG feedback from previous players and so forth.
I see where you’re coming from and I also know that. The thing is: Sony made Betas part of PlayStation Plus and never mentioned that only a “selected group” of Subscribers will get access to the Betas they’re offering. They never mentioned it before people subscribed. They released that FAQ a couple of weeks ago to make sure to be able to say “We told you not everyone will get access” but this has nothing to do with the problem I’m having. When they announced PlayStation Plus they didn’t talk about how only a limited number of people will be able to actually get into Betas.

A lot of people signed up for PS+, because they thought this would ensure that they could download and play Betas. If they cannot keep their promise they shouldn’t have made it – easy as that. There is no excuse for not giving every paying member the same thing.

If Microsoft said “Well, you thought buying Halo: ODST would give you access to the Halo: Reach Beta, but in fact you have to meet additional requirements” it’d be the same thing. I’m also really pissed that no website mentioned it. That’s probably exactly what Sony wanted. Get the information out there but make sure just a few people actually read it…

jvm

Gamasutra.
Updated OP. Looks like I forgot to change some stuff last time? Not sure. EU/US hopefully right now.

jvm

Gamasutra.
It's interesting that PS+ is being used as a tool to enforce regional differences. I could be wrong, but the big spenders in each territory are perhaps less likely to cross into another territory's store for regional exclusives because those exclusives are protected by PS+.

So, a demo offered as perquisite for Europeans (e.g. Castlevania) is effectively kept exclusive to that region by protecting it with PS+.

A very interesting tactic by Sony. I wonder if they have information on how much leakage they've seen from region to region and have a financial reason for cutting it off.

MrPliskin

Banned
snap0212 said:
I see where you’re coming from and I also know that. The thing is: Sony made Betas part of PlayStation Plus and never mentioned that only a “selected group” of Subscribers will get access to the Betas they’re offering. They never mentioned it before people subscribed. They released that FAQ a couple of weeks ago to make sure to be able to say “We told you not everyone will get access” but this has nothing to do with the problem I’m having. When they announced PlayStation Plus they didn’t talk about how only a limited number of people will be able to actually get into Betas.

A lot of people signed up for PS+, because they thought this would ensure that they could download and play Betas. If they cannot keep their promise they shouldn’t have made it – easy as that. There is no excuse for not giving every paying member the same thing.

If Microsoft said “Well, you thought buying Halo: ODST would give you access to the Halo: Reach Beta, but in fact you have to meet additional requirements” it’d be the same thing. I’m also really pissed that no website mentioned it. That’s probably exactly what Sony wanted. Get the information out there but make sure just a few people actually read it…

They can't let anyone in, and it is fair. Also, they never said everyone would get in, they just said it could include access to select betas. Perhaps you weren't selected for that beta, simple as.

Toki767

Ever since EU Plus members complained and US Plus members got their Plus updates changed from once a week to every 2 weeks, I feel like the quality of US Plus content has fallen way below the quality of EU Plus content. I do feel like I got my money's worth in the first month already but Plus has soured on me the past few updates since I see what EU is getting and I'd prefer that.

Toki767 said:
Ever since EU Plus members complained and US Plus members got their Plus updates changed from once a week to every 2 weeks, I feel like the quality of US Plus content has fallen way below the quality of EU Plus content. I do feel like I got my money's worth in the first month already but Plus has soured on me the past few updates since I see what EU is getting and I'd prefer that.

Yep, I have tried to put up a mental blockage whenever EU + content is ever mentioned because it has been making me feel totally shafted. I don't know why there should be such large differences in what's offered. I can only optimistically assume that over the course of time EU will have dry spells while NA has a bounty and it will just ebb and tide.

I just have to post again that the automatic download feature is only useful if your PS3 game collection consists of a total of 10 games or less. What a waste.

Aspiring

So i went to buy my subscription today only to read that once your sub ends you cannot keep the games. So really, you are paying money to *rent* games for a year. Which may be fair i guess but also sucks as if you cannot afford it when its renew time, there goes your games. And with online being free, i just could not see the point. Shame, i really wanted an icon next to my name.

That being said can anybody tell me why it may be worth it?

darkwing

Aspiring said:
So i went to buy my subscription today only to read that once your sub ends you cannot keep the games. So really, you are paying money to *rent* games for a year. Which may be fair i guess but also sucks as if you cannot afford it when its renew time, there goes your games. And with online being free, i just could not see the point. Shame, i really wanted an icon next to my name.

That being said can anybody tell me why it may be worth it?
the games will be put in 'hibernation' mode if you can't renew your sub, once you sub again you can play them back again, its not actually gone

netguy503

PlayStation Plus update for Oct. 19: Abe's Oddysee, Bloons

Whatever you do, if you're a Plus subscriber, do not purchase Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee, Bloons or Burn Zombie Burn on the PlayStation Store during the next two weeks! You'd feel awfully silly for doing so, since they'll all be made free in the October 19 PlayStation Plus update.

Additions for October 19

Free Games

* Burn Zombie Burn
* Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee (PS One Classic)
* Bloons – minis

Discounts

* Everyday Shooter (50% off)
* Everyday Shooter (PSP Game) (50% off)
* Shienryu (Japanese PS1 Imports) (50% off)
* Tall Unlimited (Japanese PS1 Imports) (50% off)

Free Themes and Avatars

* Killzone 3 Theme
* Wise Father Theme

Coming down on October 19

Free Offers

* Echoes – minis
* Zen Pinball
* Syphon Filter 3 (PS one Classic)
* Shades of Autumn Theme

Discounts

* Cuboid (50% off)
* LittleBigPlanet: Monsters Costume Pack (50% off)
* Savage Moon (50% off)
* Alien Breed: Impact (25% off)

http://www.joystiq.com/2010/10/06/playstation-plus-update-for-oct-19-oddworld-abes-oddysee-bl/

jvm

Gamasutra.
Updated OP.

What the f--k is SCEA doing with full game trials? Seriously, we've gotten three games (inFamous, Warhawk, and Red Faction). Those are fine games (I own all but the last) but this isn't even close to tapping into the best that the PS3 has to offer.

It's just maddening to see Sony blowing it on this count.

jvm said:
Updated OP.

What the f--k is SCEA doing with full game trials? Seriously, we've gotten three games (inFamous, Warhawk, and Red Faction). Those are fine games (I own all but the last) but this isn't even close to tapping into the best that the PS3 has to offer.

It's pretty much the Sony Cycle.

jvm said:
Updated OP.

I looked this morning and saw a free trial for Ferrari Challenge exclusive to PSN+

AwRy108

jvm said:
Updated OP.

No offense but, the only person you're allowed to be pissed at is yourself for buying into a completely unproven subscription program. Same reason I blame only myself for buying the machine when it was $600 only to have two of the same models fail on me.

I love my PS3: I own nearly 80 disc-based games for it, 50+ PSN titles, and have no shortage of disposable income, but I still refuse to pay those dickheads for "PS Plus" until they get their heads out of their asses and actually offer something worth paying for. Right now all they're shilling is discounts on PSN titles that most gamers already own or have decided they're not interested in, and game trials for titles that are years old. You want free game trials? Go buy a used copy from GameStop and return it within 7 days for a full refund; but, for God's sake, don't pay SONY $50 a year to do it...

Right now, PS Plus is garbage, and only serves as an embarrassment to SONY, especially when its closest competitor (LIVE) offers so much more for a slightly higher price. When I saw that nearly 50% of the people on my Friends List signed up for Plus during the first month, it made me want to vomit out of a combination of disgust and pity.

MrPliskin

Banned
AwRy108 said:
No offense but, the only person you're allowed to be pissed at is yourself for buying into a completely unproven subscription program. Same reason I blame only myself for buying the machine when it was $600 only to have two of the same models fail on me.

I love my PS3: I own nearly 80 disc-based games for it, 50+ PSN titles, and have no shortage of disposable income, but I still refuse to pay those dickheads for "PS Plus" until they get their heads out of their asses and actually offer something worth paying for. Right now all they're shilling is discounts on PSN titles that most gamers already own or have decided they're not interested in, and game trials for titles that are years old. You want free game trials? Go buy a used copy from GameStop and return it within 7 days for a full refund; but, for God's sake, don't pay SONY $50 a year to do it...

Right now, PS Plus is garbage, and only serves as an embarrassment to SONY, especially when its closest competitor (LIVE) offers so much more for a slightly higher price. When I saw that nearly 50% of the people on my Friends List signed up for Plus during the first month, it made me want to vomit out of a combination of disgust and pity.

wat.

Lothars

AwRy108 said:

I have no issues with having PS Plus, I am happy to have it, I wish they would add more features but so far I feel that I've gotten my money from it so far and I look forward to see what they keep doing with it.

jvm

Gamasutra.
AwRy108 said:
Hi. Full games are available for all users. My wording was poor ("trials") but as regulars in the PS Store thread and here probably know, I'm generally critical of Sony's poor handling of its digital storefront, in particular full games for PSP and PS3.

But, hey, if you think it's a good idea to go swaggering into threads and jab the regulars in the eye with a sawed-off pointy stick, feel free.

Just don't expect much of a friendly response.

For the record, I'm OK with PS+ so far. I keep up this thread mostly because it forces me to keep abreast of what Sony's doing with its storefronts. One of the things I've been watching is their full game (Blu-Ray Legacy, so to speak) releases, and thus my post tonight.

Jebus.

jvm said:
Updated OP.

they do the opposite of apple. they make plans, announce them before everything is sorted out, and then launch said plans before enough partners are on board and up to speed. apple makes sure they have all their ducks in a row before suddenly announcing and launching.

EDIT: what im saying here is that im pretty sure that a lot of game developers and publishers weren't notified about PS+ or how it was going to work or given any technical documentation on how to get their games ready for Trial and that sort of thing until the last minute. so it will take a while before we get a steady flow. same thing happened with PSN in general, and same thing happened with full PSP games on PSN.

i don't own any apple products and don't plan on it, but at least i wouldn't have to worry about follow-through. sony's been too hit or miss with this sort of thing. weren't they supposed to get all of the different sony divisions to start cooperating? seems like that could aid a lot of these issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom