• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Mass Effect Community Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

prag16

Banned
I can play with a keyboard and mouse, but I like being able to sit on my couch and play that way!

Pillow on lap with feet up on coffee table, keyboard on pillow, another pillow to my left under my elbow, and wireless mouse on otherside of me on couch. Actually worked fine for me. Only shortcoming was that the wireless mouse I'm using isn't really meant for gaming, and wasn't always as reliable as I would like.

So yeah, not perfect, but worked fine for me personally.

Still played mostly at desk in computer chair since that's where my "good" computer is.

Stephen Totilo @stephentotilo

I'm debating with @jasonschreier whether BioWare would give us more Mass Effect news on Friday (N7 Day). Last year: http://t.co/ePdmAZiexq

@stephentotilo @jasonschreier I'm not sure. DA:I is just round the corner and they probably wouldn't want to take away spotlight from that

Jason Schreier

@Stigweird85 @stephentotilo my thoughts exactly

Aaryn Flynn @AarynFlynn

@jasonschreier @Stigweird85 @stephentotilo We shall see...

fMQrLpj.jpg

diamount

Banned
So is it likely they will use something similar to DA Keep when it comes to save importing in ME4 (or w/e it is going to be called).

So is it likely they will use something similar to DA Keep when it comes to save importing in ME4 (or w/e it is going to be called).

Probably. They may not have it there before launch, though, depending on whether or not they're carrying anything over from the original 3 games.

DOWN

Banned
Um why the hell would you need an import?

For God sakes, let's wash our hands of the tangle that the trilogy became. This will never be a rock solid new saga if they can't have some canon to start with again and if they are forced to reference your little story decisions. Honestly more than 95% of the choices shouldn't even be relevant, and the major ones they could reference, just should be left Out or woven into a strong canon.

I'd rather they just wipe the slate clean of that whole mess of a plot and start anew. Same universe, but so far in the future it doesn't matter what happened, or a separate timeline/canon entirely where the Shepard trilogy never happened, either way. But that's just me.

Isn't Mass Effect and DA: I sharing gameplay systems? I could have sworn a Bioware dev mentioned that.
Not everything, but yes. There are some systems from DAI being used in the new Mass Effect, for example things that I've heard like: how the character animates and reacts over varying types of terrain in DAI. Water for example can be taken directly from Battlefield 4 and tweaked by the design team to fit their desire.

It's difficult to exactly pinpoint a release window. I will say scuttlebutt says Q4 2015/Q1 2016. It's feasible given development started in earnest in 2012. From some conversations I've had, development on Frostbite is a smoother experience than the prior trilogy and things are moving along faster than you'd think. At the same time, it's a new engine and it's not coming to 360 or PS3. It's a huge undertaking and they want it to really shake the roof when it's finally unveiled. If I had to be forced to estimate, Q1 2016 at the earliest. Fall 2016 more likely and with good reason. This will be fucking worth it.

DOWN

Banned
Yes, if we want a rushed game. I think Bioware wants to give it more time than that though, being a new team and a new engine for the series.

Isn't Mass Effect and DA: I sharing gameplay systems? I could have sworn a Bioware dev mentioned that.
Yes, but 2015 is still too optimistic I think. I wouldn't be surprised if they keep the series tradition of spring releases and go Spring 2016, but they implied it's even further off.

But it is indeed sharing many systems developed for Inquisition in Frostbite.

Graah, I'm currently playing Mass Effect and have just got to Virmire. I'm now stuck between
having Wrex die when we argue on the beach
, or having to re-load a save that'll lose about two hours' progress, so I can re-allocate experience points or find
his family armour set
. Bastards! I really
like Wrex too
, so I think I'm going to have to re-load that save file and do all of Bring Down The Sky again. Sigh. I couldn't give a shit about Ashley or Kaiden though; let them both be sacrificed as far as I'm concerned.

Sorry for the random interjection; I just needed to vent and this seemed like a fairly apt place.

prag16

Banned
Not everything, but yes. There are some systems from DAI being used in the new Mass Effect, for example things that I've heard like: how the character animates and reacts over varying types of terrain in DAI. Water for example can be taken directly from Battlefield 4 and tweaked by the design team to fit their desire.

It's difficult to exactly pinpoint a release window. I will say scuttlebutt says Q4 2015/Q1 2016. It's feasible given development started in earnest in 2012. From some conversations I've had, development on Frostbite is a smoother experience than the prior trilogy and things are moving along faster than you'd think. At the same time, it's a new engine and it's not coming to 360 or PS3. It's a huge undertaking and they want it to really shake the roof when it's finally unveiled. If I had to be forced to estimate, Q1 2016 at the earliest. Fall 2016 more likely and with good reason. This will be fucking worth it.
Fall 2016? I will have to float my way there in a river of my own tears if I'm forced to wait that long. :(

Fall 2016? I will have to float my way there in a river of my own tears if I'm forced to wait that long. :(
At one end, I want them to take as long as possible to deliver that shit unto us. On another, I want the damn thing right fucking now lol. They're bringing back exploration with a vengeance though.

Q1 2016 I think, and Q4 2016 to release the new IP.
I guarantee they will not release two of their games in the same year. Believe me.

Ridesh

Banned
At one end, I want them to take as long as possible to deliver that shit unto us. On another, I want the damn thing right fucking now lol. They're bringing back exploration with a vengeance though.

I guarantee they will not release two of their games in the same year. Believe me.

I thought about that, but also, DA:O and ME2 were released 3 months apart and both did quite well.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I have a question:

What are the mods that are available for ME3 that improve the ending?

Those that use them how are they? Well done? Do they actually feel like a better ending or just a hack job that is poorly put together.
I realize there is only so much they can do since a MOD doesn't have all the tools (or even close) to what Bioware has, but I am curious how people feel about them after all things are considered.

I have a question:

Those that use them how are they? Well done? Do they actually feel like a better ending or just a hack job that is poorly put together.
I realize there is only so much they can do since a MOD doesn't have all the tools (or even close) to what Bioware has, but I am curious how people feel about them after all things are considered.

I tried the MEHEM mod. It was ...meh.

SliChillax

I have a question:

I don't understand what people like about non canon, fan fiction endings. The game has a real ending. Closing your ears and installing a fan made mod isn't going to change how the story has progressed.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I don't understand what people like about non canon, fan fiction endings. The game has a real ending. Closing your ears and installing a fan made mod isn't going to change how the story has progressed.

I don't understand how you don't understand that many people feel like the ME3 ending was complete crap and a slap in the face of many people who had enjoyed ME over the years.

Obviously the ending would be non-canon, but if it makes you feel good about investing all those man hours into the series then we should be all for it. My understanding is that MEHEM is not so much fan fiction but a removal of the starchild and the ability to allow Shepard to 100% survive.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!

That's what I was going to say. Fanmade mods for an ending seem so pointless... sure it can be "better" in context, but it doesn't change the fact that it's not the official ending, so it doesn't really matter in the end.

Just play the Citadel DLC before the Earth mission instead if you really want something better and act like that's the real ending instead, at least it's far better than a fanmade mod.

I don't understand how you don't understand that many people feel like the ME3 ending was complete crap and a slap in the face of many people who had enjoyed ME over the years.

Obviously the ending would be non-canon, but if it makes you feel good about investing all those man hours into the series then we should be all for it. My understanding is that MEHEM is not so much fan fiction but a removal of the starchild and the ability to allow Shepard to 100% survive.

I've never understood the 'slap in the face' reaction. It's fine not to like things, and it's great to discuss why you didn't like it. But to call a creative choice a slap in the face? That just doesn't make any sense to me.

And to the earlier discussion about the dissonance between ME1 and ME2, I played ME1 first and really loved it. I played ME2 when it came out and it blew my mind. I think there's this false narrative out there that if someone played ME1 first, then they think that ME2 was a watered down dudebro game. There were parts of ME1 that was a complete mess (hello menu system) and parts of it that were really inelegant (hello power wheel) that were really improved in ME2 and then perfected in ME3.

Maybe if I would have really put the effort into using part members' powers in ME1 I'd be more disappointed, but I just never felt like it was necessary. I preferred to let them do their own things.

Ralemont

not me
I have a question:

MEHEM is the main one. It's better than you feared and much worse than you'd hope. Does it improve the ending? ....Not really. It's mostly sappy schlock, and if I want that I can at least get sappy gold and pretend Citadel is the real ending.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
That's what I was going to say. Fanmade mods for an ending seem so pointless... sure it can be "better" in context, but it doesn't change the fact that it's not the official ending, so it doesn't really matter in the end.

In ME3's case it wasn't pointless, it was just plain bad and really truly boggles the mind how Walters and Hudson thought that players would be satisfied with that ending.

I've never understood the 'slap in the face' reaction. It's fine not to like things, and it's great to discuss why you didn't like it. But to call a creative choice a slap in the face? That just doesn't make any sense to me.

And to the earlier discussion about the dissonance between ME1 and ME2, I played ME1 first and really loved it. I played ME2 when it came out and it blew my mind. I think there's this false narrative out there that if someone played ME1 first, then they think that ME2 was a watered down dudebro game. There were parts of ME1 that was a complete mess (hello menu system) and parts of it that were really inelegant (hello power wheel) that were really improved in ME2 and then perfected in ME3.

Maybe if I would have really put the effort into using part members' powers in ME1 I'd be more disappointed, but I just never felt like it was necessary. I preferred to let them do their own things.

A creative choice can be a slap in the face if it goes against everything the series stood for, which was about choice and letting your actions define your character. All of that got completely thrown out at the end.

Again, how Walters and Hudson thought people would be ok with that ending will forever be a mystery.

Ralemont

not me
A creative choice can be a slap in the face if it goes against everything the series stood for, which was about choice and letting your actions define your character. All of that got completely thrown out at the end.

Again, how Walters and Hudson thought people would be ok with that ending will forever be a mystery.

How do the ME3 endings throw choice out the window? The ending choice is the most divergent one I've ever seen in a videogame. There's lots of things wrong with the ending but choice is not one of them.

Bisnic

In ME3's case it wasn't pointless, it was just plain bad and really truly boggles the mind how Walters and Hudson thought that players would be satisfied with that ending.

It seems the issue for you here is not about the starchild or what happened after(which is the thing most people hated as far as i know), but more that none of your actions actually mattered(except the absence/presence of past and present squadmates) for the final mission/cutscenes.

Patryn

How do the ME3 endings throw choice out the window? The ending choice is the most divergent one I've ever seen in a videogame. There's lots of things wrong with the ending but choice is not one of them.

Because it all comes down to one choice. Doesn't matter if you made peace between the Geth and the Quarians, doesn't matter if you cured the genophage. All your actions really don't sum up to anything.

You just get red, green or blue.

Ralemont

not me
Because it all comes down to one choice. Doesn't matter if you made peace between the Geth and the Quarians, doesn't matter if you cured the genophage. All your actions really don't sum up to anything.

You just get red, green or blue.

I don't understand. How does it not matter if you cured the genophage just because it doesn't factor into the final ending choice? You still cured the genophage. The quarians still have Rannoch back (or not!).

Besides that, this complaint is equally true of ME1 and ME2. Ending choices in BioWare games are rarely, if ever, continuations of your previous decisions. They are usually isolated, just like the choices you make at the end of the subplots of the game.

Now if we want to say our choices should have been more visible during Priority Earth and that epilogues should have been included in the vanilla then I totally agree.

Patryn

I don't understand. How does it not matter if you cured the genophage just because it doesn't factor into the final ending choice? You still cured the genophage. The quarians still have Rannoch back (or not!).

Besides that, this complaint is equally true of ME1 and ME2. Ending choices in BioWare games are rarely, if ever, continuations of your previous decisions.

Now if we want to say our choices should have been more visible during Priority Earth and that epilogues should have been included in the vanilla then I totally agree.

The ending to 3 is different, because it's the end of the full saga. It's supposed to be THE ending.

I wasn't expecting to see the full ramifications of my choices in 1 and 2, but I did expect to see them in 3.

Ralemont

not me
I wasn't expecting to see the full ramifications of my choices in 1 and 2, but I did expect to see them in 3.

But you did, just before the ending (and after, post-EC).

I'll disclaim that I was on media blackout for ME3, so I didn't hear the silly promises BioWare made like "the rachni decision has huge consequences for ME3's ending". Suffice to say after ME3 BW reevaluated how they market their games.

Lakitu

st5fu

I'd be ok with Fall 2016 as long as they gave us a next-gen version of the Mass Effect trilogy to tide us over. Please, Bioware.

Will there be an N7 Day thread?

SliChillax

I never said I liked the original ending. That said I still don't see the point of fan made story mods, not saying you shouldn't use it.

Bisnic

I just hope they make planets explorable again. My favorite thing in the first ME.

I'm hoping they bring back one or all of the barren planet's musics from ME1, or at least create something very similar. They had that perfect "alien world" tone for me.

DirtyCase

I'm hoping they bring back one or all of the barren planet's musics from ME1, or at least create something very similar. They had that perfect "alien world" tone for me.

If you guys keep talking like this I'm going to have to start a new play through of ME 1, problem is I'm trudging through ME 3 at the moment.

I'm hoping for at least 30 seconds of in-engine footage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom