• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Curbed/Zumper: LA rental map: Monthly median rent comparison for 1BR apartments

ezrarh

Which is kind of irrelevant, as none of that translates to the US. Housing isn't a depreciating asset because generally we don't built stuff so cheaply that they are worthless within a few decades. Add in the imminent population decline and that solves pretty much all your problems right there. Probably also undervalued in that video? The fact that they've got such good rail, making much further-flung outskirts easily accessible. Getting a 15 minute train ride to the heart of the city is pretty great by American standards.

The fact that you think none of the ideas in Japan is relevant to the US is exactly why we're in our predicament. The population of Tokyo, as already been said, has been increasing steadily increasing. In fact, it's increasing by over a million people compared to NYC's half a million since 2000. (approximate numbers here which don't include the entire metro area).

You also realize why our inner ring suburbs are suburban ghettos now? We've build stuff that was only meant to last a few decades post WWII. And since we haven't allowed for upzoning of land and other factors, they're still stuck as single family neighborhoods when they could have been improved upon due to their proximity to city centers.

SpecX

Also, on a quick search, for what it's worth, there are a bunch of 1BR apartments around Riverside, CA for around $900-$1000/mo.
On checking, that's 60 miles from LA, but ah well, it's an option at least.
Joke post right? I'd avoid living in Riverside if you work in LA. My parents worked in LA and we lived in MoVal which is right next to it and the bitching they did about being stuck on the freeway for 4 hours a day on avg. All the savings on housing goes into car maintenance. It is better now with additional transportation options, but I would never wish that commute on anyone to save in housing costs.

Joke post right? I'd avoid living in Riverside if you work in LA. My parents worked in LA and we lived in MoVal which is right next to it and the bitching they did about being stuck on the freeway for 4 hours a day on avg. All the savings on housing goes into car maintenance. It is better now with additional transportation options, but I would never wish that commute on anyone to save in housing costs.

It's a joke post because your parents did it and things are better for people doing it now?

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
It's a joke post because your parents did it and things are better for people doing it now?

Living in Riverside and working in L.A. I literally see no benefit in doing that. You live a shitty location, have to deal with even worse traffic than normal, and whatever money you save in rent/housing will get wasted in gas and time you waste being stuck on the freeway.

Nobody should move to Riverside for any reason.

shandy706

Meanwhile on the east coast (South) you can get a 2-3 bedroom in a major city for $800-$1200.

The OP prices blow my mind.

Sulik2

Seeing rent numbers like this always makes me appreciate my decision to live in a cheaper area of the country a lot more. Not being in a big city has it drawbacks, as does living in the south, but affordable housing makes life so much easier in general.

Living in Riverside and working in L.A. I literally see no benefit in doing that. You live a shitty location, have to deal with even worse traffic than normal, and whatever money you save in rent/housing will get wasted in gas and time you waste being stuck on the freeway.

Nobody should move to Riverside for any reason.

any reason? or by choice? I know people who do the commute because it's what they can afford and there's not many jobs in Riverside so they have to commute to LA

Those prices are cheaper than most 1 bedrooms here in DC (unless you want to live in the ghetto.) I own a two bedroom condo that I'm currently selling so that my fiancee and I can get a place. We will prob. rent for a year or two before buying a new place, and most 1 bedrooms for where we want to live are $2,400 plus. Going from paying for a 2 bedroom condo to splitting $2,400 a month doesn't seem bad at all.

There are other cities beyond that map, but still in Los Angeles county, where you can find a 2-bedroom for less than $1,300.

Some cities are pretty expensive, but there are other cities out here with housing that can accommodate any budget.

MastAndo

Having a rough go of it trying to find a decently priced 1BR place in my neighborhoods of choice in Queens, NY, but certainly better than these prices. Sheesh.

Every time I see a map of L.A. I realize I have no idea where most of these places actually are located.

Anyway, I manged to be lucky with my housing situation, since I have an $800 1 bedroom apartment in Northridge in a pretty durn prime location, if I do say so myself (right next to CSUN).

It's great that you enjoy your location but a big reason why it's as low as it is, is because it's not a prime location for many who aren't college age and even some that are. Traffic around CSUN sucks at all hours of the day and a good portion of the night and it's a dice roll as to whether your evening will be quiet or noisy. Especially true if you're off Reseda or Zelzah.

But yeah, $800 for a 1 bedroom apartment is in the middle of the valley is still rare. Usually those prices are more for rented rooms in a private home.

jacksnap

Neo Member
I moved to the westside this year, 2 bedroom for around 2200, and it wasn't the only one, with new listings every few days.

The trend in rent is going up for sure, and paying my rent of 1100 a month is out of range for many people and is definitely troubling, but living in LA, paying rent and not being destitute is within the reach of most people on every tier of the economic ladder (for now). Not quite the dystopian nightmare that is SF proper... Yet.

I'm paying below 1 bedroom median price for my area for 2BR2BA. As much as I don't like my place, there's no way I can do better for the price I pay.

Ovid

Those prices definitely look higher compared to when I was actively looking in 2014. Actually a couple hundred dollars higher.

The map layout is weird. Where would Sherman Oaks or Glendale be located on that map?

My GF and I are paying 1700 for a 1BR in Central NJ. Then again we have nearly 1600sq feet, with a finished basement and a huge storage room.

Furio53

3k median seems kinda nuts for Santa Monica... granted I'm under rent control and been living in same place for 4 years now... but I'm paying $1770 for a 1BR. I think some of the places are much higher and driving up that median price. Or I'm just super lucky.

Those prices definitely look higher compared to when I was actively looking in 2014. Actually a couple hundred dollars higher.

The map layout is weird. Where would Sherman Oaks or Glendale be located on that map?

Those are in The Valley, so they're not shown on the map at all. They'd be north of the area pictured.

Raxus

I am looking for a condo in my neighborhood and I thought things were expensive then. I would probably be living with my parents forever at those rates.

Hydrus

Tokyo/Japan.

Solution is pretty fucking simple, build housing.

Yes I agree.

But a housing shortage can only be solved by housing...

They're building homes non-stop in the inland empire and housing prices/ rent continue to rise like crazy. Ontario, which is near where I live, is building 46,000 new homes within the next 10 years. It's not " fucking simple". More housing isn't the issue. It's people from out of state moving here and foreign investors that are driving up prices. Bubble might be bursting soon... hopefully...

Paying $1350 for my one bedroom in Pasadena. Currently looking to find something a bit cheaper in the $1150 range, but the amount of units that come up in the area that are cheaper than mine (Pasadena-Arcadia-Alhambra-Highland Park, etc) is incredibly low. $1350 is probably on the lower end for a Pasadena 1BR to begin with.

When I moved here in 2010 I got a studio for $750. That same studio now is probably going for at least $1400.

Context is everything

Typically wages are a bit higher in CA than in other states. Also there's an inherent value in not just square footage but location and quality of life

Me personally I can't see myself living in Nowhere GA even if my rent now can pay for a mansion mortgage there

entremet

Context is everything

Typically wages are a bit higher in CA than in other states. Also there's an inherent value in not just square footage but location and quality of life

Me personally I can't see myself living in Nowhere GA even if my rent now can pay for a mansion mortgage there
The wage increases are not that significant. I remember seeing research on this.

The wage increases are not that significant. I remember seeing research on this.

Yea I understand that some jobs have higher wage hikes than others

For example California is the state with the highest wages for Registered Nurses

That on top of their strong nurse state laws and unions is what pushed me to move from Florida

Myths

Way up north, I think they removed much of the cities up north, Far East, and down south along the coast. That's what's skewing the ranges cause it definitely gets cheaper in all the areas skirting greater LA.

Paying $1350 for my one bedroom in Pasadena. Currently looking to find something a bit cheaper in the $1150 range, but the amount of units that come up in the area that are cheaper than mine (Pasadena-Arcadia-Alhambra-Highland Park, etc) is incredibly low. $1350 is probably on the lower end for a Pasadena 1BR to begin with.

When I moved here in 2010 I got a studio for $750. That same studio now is probably going for at least $1400.
That's my aim, around $1100 for a 1BR. I'm shocked you got something for that price in Pasadena... it's pretty hefty up there.

SeanC

That's why so many look to the valley or further east, still nice/safe but cheaper. Depends where you work because commuting is what kills the notion of moving to an Encino or Pasadena, depending where you have to get to every day.

I'm pretty good in Hollywood with my rent, will likely move in with my girlfriend by the end of the year and she's in the same area so kind of a good deal.

USMC43

Banned
I was paying $3250 almost three years ago for a two bedroom in West Hollywood. Rent must be well over $5000 now. Glad I said screw paying that much in rent & bought a house in the valley. Best decision I've ever made.

Tagyhag

That's...insane. Is there a map for Bay Cities/Torrance or for Universal/Studio City?

Unfortunately I could only find a 2-bedroom map.

Los_Angeles_Rent_September_2016_rfsodn.jpg

I think the average in Studio City for 1 BR is around $1700.

Don't get me wrong, that's a lot of money, but all things considered, that's a really good price when you compare Studio City to other neighborhoods.

It's an incredibly safe, quiet, and clean area. It's near the mountains and one of the closest Valley areas to Downtown which means a shorter commute. It's why a lot of celebs end up living there if they're not in Beverly Hills. I'm honestly surprised it's not higher rent but if a lot of tech companies end up coming to downtown in the future I bet it will rise dramatically.

Old Pasadena here. $1500 a month for my 1BR. Utilities are included, though, so I'm probably pretty close to your rent overall. Places at price points around what you pay now aren't uncommon, though they tend to go pretty quick. The apartment I'm in now wasn't even listed a full 24 hours before I got it. North of the 210 is probably your best bet for something around $1150.

Ephemeris

Other than Zumper and Craigslist, what other apps/websites are good for checking places/prices in the general LA area?

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.

What do you do to afford a place like that and still live.

That's my aim, around $1100 for a 1BR. I'm shocked you got something for that price in Pasadena... it's pretty hefty up there.

Well then maybe I'll bump into you at an open house if an $1100 apartment opens up. :p

What do you do to afford a place like that and still live.

I work as a staff member at a local college. As far as "afford a place like that and still live"... eh. My current price point hasn't really been sustainable since I increased the amount of money I started kicking into retirement. I need to move sooner or later because my current reality isn't really feasible in the long run.

Old Pasadena here. $1500 a month for my 1BR. Utilities are included, though, so I'm probably pretty close to your rent overall. Places at price points around what you pay now aren't uncommon, though they tend to go pretty quick. The apartment I'm in now wasn't even listed a full 24 hours before I got it. North of the 210 is probably your best bet for something around $1150.

Yeah, $1500 is pretty nice for utilities included. Hell, $1500 would probably be more or less bang-on for Old Town even without utilities included. I currently live a little bit north of the 210 (west of Hill) and while stuff north of the 210 is generally a little cheaper it's still pretty slim pickings overall, as I'm sure you know.

I did see a "cozy" 1 bedroom for $1200 south of the 210 last fall, but someone else managed to snatch it up.

To afford a $1350 a month apartment? That's not exactly rich person money for LA.

YUP, haha.

Top Bottom