• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PowerUp 2012 | Fighting game tournament | April 13-15

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I like the idea, but Capcom is only getting good at character. A hypothetical MvC4 with custom assists may fall apart at the seams lol. They really ought to give better to assists to all characters though.

Yeah I've said before, fixed assists are intentional by game design, or even if not are a good idea on drawing the line for what is too crazy and can be game breaking. Especially in UMvC3, regular infinites would be even easier to create, which is not what they want; they want infinites to be exclusive to X-Factor. Makes sense, tie potentially big rewards on the scale of infinites to an actual resource you have to manage.

Ever since Cross Assault people have been overreacting to every little thing. It's like the people saying "zomg all this drama in the FGC lately" just started watching streams 3 months ago. This isn't shit lol.

Ever since streaming and twitter people have blown shit out to be way bigger than it needs to be.

There's been plenty of drama in the FGC. Everything from EMP drama, to players girl friend /girl drama (smooth Viper cough), DSP bull shit, Dark Prince crap, and countless others. But they just basically stay within the community. Mainly on the SRK forums where eventually everyone band together and stick to one side or the other side wouldn't say shit then threads get lock and it's over with.

Ever since with the inception of twitter everyone can throw in their 2 cents and shit just spirals out of control.

Now if player A doesn't like player B, then player B gets to hear about it via 100 tweets. Player B responds and Player A ends up getting 200+ tweets about it.

/face palm.

I was talking to X-Ray and Corimon the other day about FGC drama. Remember Bison Girl(?) and Sherry during that Women's Invitational EVO 2010?

Good times.

I like the idea, but Capcom has only recently gotten good at character balancing. A hypothetical MvC4 with custom assists may fall apart at the seams lol. They really ought to give better to assists to all characters though.
I'd rather some assists be too good than characters have nothing good. IMO, Magneto has one of the best, if not the best, assists in the game, and I'm fine with that.

Yeah I've said before, fixed assists are intentional by game design, or even if not are a good idea on drawing the line for what is too crazy and can be game breaking. Especially in UMvC3, regular infinites would be even easier to create, which is not what they want; they want infinites to be exclusive to X-Factor. Makes sense, tie potentially big rewards on the scale of infinites to an actual resource you have to manage.
Tell me one move that would break this game if it became an assist. I'm not saying there isn't one, but I can't think of anything. The craziest stuff in this game generally ALREADY exists as an assist. The problem is the characters who don't get to have their crazy stuff put to good use. What out there is better than Vajra, Hidden Missiles, and EM Disruptor?

I want Soul Drain as an assist!

Ever since streaming and twitter people have blown shit out to be way bigger than it needs to be.

There's been plenty of drama in the FGC. Everything from EMP drama, to players girl friend /girl drama (smooth Viper cough), DSP bull shit, Dark Prince crap, and countless others. But they just basically stay within the community. Mainly on the SRK forums where eventually everyone band together and stick to one side or the other side wouldn't say shit then threads get lock and it's over with.

Ever since with the inception of twitter everyone can throw in their 2 cents and shit just spirals out of control.

Now if player A doesn't like player B, then player B gets to hear about it via 100 tweets. Player B responds and Player A ends up getting 200+ tweets about it.

/face palm.

Studiotraffic.

NEVER FORGET!

I'd rather some assists be too good than characters have nothing good. IMO, Magneto has one of the best, if not the best, assists in the game, and I'm fine with that.

Tell me one move that would break this game if it became an assist. I'm not saying there isn't one, but I can't think of anything. The craziest stuff in this game generally ALREADY exists as an assist. The problem is the characters who don't get to have their crazy stuff put to good use. What out there is better than Vajra, Hidden Missiles, and EM Disruptor?

I want Soul Drain as an assist!

Dormammu Volcano as an assist. No charging spells, just screen-filling, uninterruptible hard knockdown hell. Every 300 frames.

yellow card chris g? what for? i heard something about him not playing to win with kof and some other game.
He knew he couldn't win KOF Grand Finals vs. BALA, so he just hit the Random Team select and half-assed it start to finish.

The argument proposed on SRK is that Justin was yellow carded last year for "not playing competitively" and Chris G should be penalized for consistency's sake. The OP mentioning this is slammed with a lot of "it's just your opinion who cares about KOF who cares about spectators STFU" trolls. Then Justin tweets that he agrees with the notion.

EVO staff finally made an appearance and said they'd review the footage tomorrow and decide if action needs to be taken.

Aside from that drama: please tell me this has been archived somewhere other than own3d.tv?? It is, as usual, an absolute mess to navigate... :(

Dahbomb

Didn't see the matches yet but apparently ChrisG and Dieminion in grand finals with ChrisG FINALLY getting a major under his belt along with Morrigan. Good shit. I hope the salt levels were exceptionally high as they should be.

First major win for Morrigan and Akuma has now joined the ranks of Wolverine for most tournament wins. Also WTF @ a Ghost Rider in top 8 lol.

And if it isn't known already, people are EXTREMELY lazy when it comes to Marvel. I hope with a major win for ChrisG and Morrigan people finally start counter picking that team like they should be. How many Vajra assists did I see in top 8? 0

HAHAHA as many Morrigans in top 8 as Weskers. New world order is at hand ladies! Morrigan the fraud exposer.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Didn't see the matches yet but apparently ChrisG and Dieminion in grand finals with ChrisG FINALLY getting a major under his belt along with Morrigan. Good shit. I hope the salt levels were exceptionally high as they should be.

First major win for Morrigan and Akuma has now joined the ranks of Wolverine for most tournament wins. Also WTF @ a Ghost Rider in top 8 lol.

And if it isn't known already, people are EXTREMELY lazy when it comes to Marvel. I hope with a major win for ChrisG and Morrigan people finally start counter picking that team like they should be. How many Vajra assists did I see in top 8? 0

HAHAHA as many Morrigans in top 8 as Weskers. New world order is at hand ladies! Morrigan the fraud exposer.

Counter pick? Fuck that, pick the standard easy to use shit and mash out wins! *and lose*

Dahbomb

The best thing I can say about the American Marvel scene is that in most regions... Wesker is pretty much "figured" out. Wesker hasn't made it into a Grand Final for 4 straight major tournaments in a row yet.

Sp00ky was 100% right about Ultimate Marvel... now people have to actually figure out and understand projectile tracking and durability points. In Vanilla I didn't even know about the durability of some of the projectiles I do now.

GeoNeo

I disagree.
The anti morg team I've created for tournaments here (with huge increase in Morg Doom) is Vergil (change his spot in team to match morg as best you can.), Dorm, Arthur. All 3 are boss vs her and her standard teams. Vergil last is freaking beast. Sword -> Crown -> DT is so good...I can see why Japan love him in the last spot. :)

Dahbomb

What does Arthur do in the match up aside from LVL3? I can appreciate Dorm in there for 3D0C blowing up Morrigan and of course Vergil is one of the best counters to her (Andre had about 7 total hit confirms with Vergil on Morrigan but couldn't capitalize off of it). I think you would need Arthur in Gold armor to pierce through the bullet hell.

alstein

He knew he couldn't win KOF Grand Finals vs. BALA, so he just hit the Random Team select and half-assed it start to finish.

The argument proposed on SRK is that Justin was yellow carded last year for "not playing competitively" and Chris G should be penalized for consistency's sake. The OP mentioning this is slammed with a lot of "it's just your opinion who cares about KOF who cares about spectators STFU" trolls. Then Justin tweets that he agrees with the notion.

EVO staff finally made an appearance and said they'd review the footage tomorrow and decide if action needs to be taken.

Aside from that drama: please tell me this has been archived somewhere other than own3d.tv?? It is, as usual, an absolute mess to navigate... :(

To me at least there's a difference. BALA was going to win anyways, the only person ChrisG hurt is himself. Also, if you start penalizing for this, the next logical step is going to be penalizing someone for playing bad, thinking it's intentional.

The only thing bad is the walking out, but penalizing someone for char select is ridiculous.

What does Arthur do in the match up aside from LVL3? I can appreciate Dorm in there for 3D0C blowing up Morrigan and of course Vergil is one of the best counters to her (Andre had about 7 total hit confirms with Vergil on Morrigan but couldn't capitalize off of it). I think you would need Arthur in Gold armor to pierce through the bullet hell.

What else does he need on anchor? That said, Lances beat fireballs and once he pierces through he can tie her down from full screen.

Venfayth

I just read a thread on SRK about how they should yellow-card Chris G.

whaoibmadfl;bnkma;lkh serious business

If anyone's curious, this is what Chris G had to say about his KOF stuff:

V7k1L.png

LegatoB

Yellow card stuff aside, I'm really disappointed that Chris G has so little respect for himself, nevermind Bala, that when faced with the opportunity to compete against one of the strongest players in KOF he chooses to "please the crowd" and build himself in an excuse for losing the match. "Oh, I would've lost anyway, so it's okay." Yeah, you probably would have with that attitude!

What's so hard to navigate? You go to Spooky channel and look for the recent videos.

Well at least for power up there are currently over 35 unnamed and unlabeled videos up on the archive. For someone with out much time (like myself) it can be pretty daunting to sort though to try to find the events / matches that you are interested in. I don't really complain 'cause I'm getting all this streaming goodness for free. But when folks talk about monetizing fighting game streams I'll be honest and say that I would chip in a buck or two from paypal to have access to something like a two hour "most hype" highlights video of something like the top 5 or so matches from each games events. I just don't have the time to stream for the events these days, but I still would love to catch up after the fact.

alstein

Yellow card stuff aside, I'm really disappointed that Chris G has so little respect for himself, nevermind Bala, that when faced with the opportunity to compete against one of the strongest players in KOF he chooses to "please the crowd" and build himself in an excuse for losing the match. "Oh, I would've lost anyway, so it's okay." Yeah, you probably would have with that attitude!

If you can't win straight-up and you know it, try to come up with something crazy. 1% chance of winning beats 0%. I managed to beat an EVO champ in ST by just walking up and throwing over and over once because he didn't expect anyone to play that stupid. I would have lost the next 20 sets, but I won that one.

not factoring in internet problems that he has no control over (so...forget about power up + curleh mustache), what do you guys think about twitch vs. own3d for spooky?

Dormammu Volcano as an assist. No charging spells, just screen-filling, uninterruptible hard knockdown hell. Every 300 frames.
Volcano is not a move, Liberation is. The system would work (I think, obviously) off of inputs. Therefore Zero's fully charged buster is also off the table. It doesn't make any more sense to suggest Volcano as an assist than Vortex for Dante to work when he's not in Devil Trigger. It's a state you earn.

Now, Dark Spell: Destruction could be a new assist, and I don't think it would be a problem at all to get 3D0C going off once every 4 assist calls. I might even use that.

Venfayth

not factoring in internet problems that he has no control over (so...forget about power up + curleh mustache), what do you guys think about twitch vs. own3d for spooky?

Twitch chat and its icons has kinda become iconic for stream monsters.

Own3d has a shitty interface and I hate the way they manage their broadcasters pages as well as VODs.

I have heard Own3d pays better though, so whatever is better for Spooky himself is fine with me.

Volcano is not a move, Liberation is. The system would work (I think, obviously) off of inputs. Therefore Zero's fully charged buster is also off the table. It doesn't make any more sense to suggest Volcano as an assist than Vortex for Dante to work when he's not in Devil Trigger. It's a state you earn.

Now, Dark Spell: Destruction could be a new assist, and I don't think it would be a problem at all to get 3D0C going off once every 4 assist calls. I might even use that.

To be honest with you, I do think Marvel 4 should steal custom assists. It also needs passive, cheerleader assists. Both of those would be enough change to validate a new game. Just use the CG models for all the old characters, throw in 20 more or so and BOOM. New best game ever.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Twitch chat and its icons has kinda become iconic for stream monsters.

Own3d has a shitty interface and I hate the way they manage their broadcasters pages as well as VODs.

I have heard Own3d pays better though, so whatever is better for Spooky himself is fine with me.
Biggest problems IMO.

Anth0ny

Yesterday I saw Noel Brown THC on reaction as soon as hidden missiles assist came out. Shopping cart and fatal claw killed him in one shot. Surprised I didn't see more of that. I guess it's hard to get that opportunity considering you're playing a bullet hell game at the same time.

Chris G should probably get a yellow card. It's bullshit, and Justin getting one last year was bullshit, but you gotta stay consistent.

I had no problems with twitch, and have no problems with own3d for live streams.

For archives, twitch was MUCH less of a hassle as the videos were labeled by event, easily sorted chronologically, and weren't named with extremely long strings of characters that make them annoying to browse and hell to sort through.

Also, I don't know if it's the fault of the flaky internet at the venues themselves, but on twitch a day-long event would be broken into a handful of videos. It seems all the own3d events are in dozens of pieces, which exacerbates the above annoyances.

zlatko

Banned
ChrisG needed to play at his fullest. So Bala beats you senseless, whoop de doo, you need to keep getting in that practice and knowing you give it your all to make some kind of strides and progress towards doing better and better until you either start making the games closer or you take games off him.

When you toss a chance to see him on his A game away due to doubting yourself, then you don't even deserve to fucking compete imo.

I got murdered in SFxT the other day against a GAFfer and it was like 20 some him and 4-5 me. I stuck it all out, because of seeing how to get better, and what to work on.

Yellow card that fool.

LegatoB

I thought the point of the Justin Wong Yellow Card Incident was that you don't obviously sandbag to give your friends Evo Points?

Well its more of you don't obviously sandbag period, you play to your fullest. Its about the spirit of competition.

Isnt not playing to your fullest what stopped SC2 at Evo?

Vice

SFxT's DLC will bomb this fall.
Capcom will fuck up the next DS (You know they will).
Then they release SF5 and quit fighting games forever.

They never really left the fighting game world for a long stretch. They just released shit games for awhile. There's too much nostalgia money to be made off of a new SF game every few years to truly leave the market.

Infinite

Well its more of you don't obviously sandbag period, you play to your fullest. Its about the spirit of competition.

Isnt not playing to your fullest what stopped SC2 at Evo?

I thought it was a about messing with results to give his friend better seeding points. IIRC the canons said that themselves on wakeup srk. I don't think what happened with Justin and what happened here is comparable understanding this.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I thought the point of the Justin Wong Yellow Card Incident was that you don't obviously sandbag to give your friends Evo Points?
Yeah, it's a different situation even though people are making them look the same.

Chris G does not deserve a yellow card at all. I know y'all are angry he threw the matches, but you have to draw the line somewhere. His decision only affected himself.

Yeah, it's a different situation even though people are making them look the same.

Chris G does not deserve a yellow card at all. I know y'all are angry he threw the matches, but you have to draw the line somewhere. His decision only affected himself.

Yeah, if that's the case then anyone that doesn't show up to their match should get a yellowcard too. The only difference is chris g went along with the formality.

Top Bottom