• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BioShock Infinite PC Performance Thread

eyeless

game looks stunning seem to be getting 60 to my eye but fuck the stuttering man

changed the poolsize and oneframethreadlag and if anything it was worse after although that could be because previous to changing it i hadn't really gotten far enough in the game

everything set to ultra except shadows to high with a sc 580/i7 2600k and i'm triple buffering and vsyncin' with d3do

the worst thing is it's happening in combat fffu

Chili

The stuttering is exactly the same for me at 1600x900 as it is 2560x1440. Even if I turn everything down to low, the stuttering can be pretty unbearable when going back and forth into areas where it loads new textures. Don't think it's a lack of VRAM.

Twinduct

Hmm average FPS seem pretty bad on my 580.
Running everything on ultra gives me a quite alot of drops. Known issue or is my 580 just not cutting it any more?

Although not noticing any real improvement when going to 'high' or 'very high'.
Will update drivers tonight, but yeah, pretty worried now.

LiK

Running everything on ultra gives me a quite alot of drops. Known issue or is my 580 just not cutting it any more?

whats your res? I lowered to 1080p and its smoother on my 570

scitek

Try turning shadows down, contact hardening isn't worth the performance hit IMO if it's big to you, and also try using MSI Afterburner to limit the framerate to 60 to stop the stuttering. I haven't had any since I started playing, but I've not played without the framerate limiter, so I assume it may help (it does with other games).

Twinduct

whats your res? I lowered to 1080p and its smoother on my 570

Went from 1920 to 1680, slight improvement

Try turning shadows down, contact hardening isn't worth the performance hit IMO if it's big to you, and also try using MSI Afterburner to limit the framerate to 60 to stop the stuttering. I haven't had any since I started playing, but I've not played without the framerate limiter, so I assume it may help (it does with other games).

In game vsync or is there a limiter built into afterburner?

Chili

Hmm, might be getting somewhere now. This thread has some suggestions. Changing bUseBackgroundLevelStreaming to False and bSmoothFrameRate to False seems to stop the stuttering when loading. I also have OneFrameThreadLag to False and PoolSize at 1024 (which did nothing previously). I don't know if this makes the game unstable, but it seems to help in a part where there was stuttering before loading textures.

plenilune

Amazed at how well my 2 year old 6870 plays this on ultra textures and AO @ 1920x1200 when I turn off vsync, bloom and light shafts.

KyleN

Banned
Did some more tweaking to my sweetfx settings .
Thats just too much dude.
All this game needs from Sweetfx is;
#define USE_SMAA_ANTIALIASING 1
#define USE_LUMASHARPEN 1
#define USE_TONEMAP 1

#define sharp_strength 0.95
#define Gamma 1.04
Thats all im using and it looks amazing.

I Usually dont like too high Lumasarpen, but in this game it looks amazing.
Also, use sweetfx 1.4.

garath

Do those new nvidia drivers help for the mid-range cards? I have a 660ti. Wondering if I should make it a priority to grab the drivers or just forage ahead. I only get 30 min to play today :(

dEvAnGeL

#define USE_TONEMAP 1

#define Gamma 1.04

Also, use sweetfx 1.4.
perfect settings, barely noticeable changes on color but the little color boost makes the game looks perfect, thanks

eyeless

Hmm, might be getting somewhere now. This thread has some suggestions. Changing bUseBackgroundLevelStreaming to False and bSmoothFrameRate to False seems to stop the stuttering when loading. I also have OneFrameThreadLag to False and PoolSize at 1024 (which did nothing previously). I don't know if this makes the game unstable, but it seems to help in a part where there was stuttering before loading textures.
anyone else tried this?

namDa65

Solidarity in mid-range rigs! Mine was OK with the Witcher 2 after some judicious changing of graphics options, so hopefully this will be fine.

Additionally Dishonored ran fine with forced supersampling, so my unscientific comparison equals success :)

i believe we are low-mid range now...5770 was midrange in 2010 :p

I can't run planetside 2 :(

I think 0.95 sharpening might be pushing it.

I've bumped the darks a little bit in mine, but... the art direction in this game is so beautiful... hard to justify tweaking it.

didamangi

Anyone tried this with a 6850?

Yup, mine's a low end pc (3GHz Phenom II X4, AMD 6850 1GB, 4GB DDR2)

Playing smoothly 40-60 fps at 1680x1050 with d3doverrider, my settings:

- Antialiasing: On
- Texture detail: Ultra
- Texture filtering: Ultra
- Dynamic shadows: High
- Postprocessing: Normal
- Light shafts: On
- Ambient occlusion: Normal
- Object LOD: Ultra

Eyothrie

#define USE_TONEMAP 1

#define Gamma 1.04

Also, use sweetfx 1.4.

I'm new to sweetfx. Are these lines all that needs to be dumped into the SweetFX_settings.txt. ?

t-ramp

Hopefully I'll be able to start playing the game tonight. 2500K and a 6870 1GB here, so I ought to be able to run it well enough. Trying to gather the recommended tweaks so I can knock those out quickly before playing.

Karak

anyone else tried this?

I didn't notice a difference doing the other bits beyond the poolsize and lagframe setting. I seem to be one of the very few getting no stuttering at all. Not sure whats going on.

Usebackgroundstreaming does seem to make sense as a culprit and combining that with poolsize for those having issues does seem to negate a good deal of stuttering(reported in various website threads across the interwebthingy)

My specs
Windows 7 using Fancycache
Running from an SSD
i7 920 OC'ed to 4.2
570gtx

- Antialiasing: Using SMAA normal
- Texture detail: Ultra
- Texture filtering: Ultra
- Dynamic shadows: High
- Postprocessing: Normal or low(I hate the look)
- Light shafts: On
- Ambient occlusion: High
- Object LOD: Ultra
In fancycache I am using 4 gigs of memory windows can't see as a gamecache. Again not sure why I am not being impacted but maybe this has something to do with it.

This may have been answered already, but when I use the SMAA drop files, or SweetFx configurator I can't get it to take in game. Nothing happens when I enable it. I don't have D3dOverrider running, or afterburner. I have Vsync and triple buffering set in nVidia control panel.

Any ideas?

Adamator

Anyone?

I know I'm pretty outdated, but I have a nVidia GTX 260 Video Card. I believe it has 896 Megs of RAM. Will I be able to run this game ok? I don't expect to max it or anything. Just want to make sure I don't spend the money on a version I can't run, but I much prefer my PC for FPS over my XBOX 360 if I can help it.

mackattk

I'm on a 6870 and it runs amazingly well @1080 ultra everything but shadows. If I put it on high or normal it really kicks this games ass. My guess is you could play medium to high and be fine?

Sounds good. I have a 6850 at the moment, and want to wait until the next generation of video cards to upgrade to something else.

Sober

Anyone tried this with a 6850?
I have a 6870 here but my CPU is a Phenom X4 and my RAM is DDR2, so I'm a little bit behind with it, but it runs well enough. I'm personally fine with the framerate jumping around 30-60 a bit more often than some others might.

Vsync/triple buffering through RadeonPro seem to work well enough (at least the OSD tells me it's on) and I can still inject smaa. My framerate jumps a bit, so I mostly turned off AO and shadows set at medium. Game still looks fantastic since I give no fucks and just leave texture quality at high.

MNC

I want to replay the first chapter without resetting my autosave. Is there a way to do that? I want to show it off to some people.

noomi

Can anyone say if you are able to change the difficulty in-game on the fly? I want to start the game on hard but just in case that proves to be too difficult I would like to change to medium without having to restart the game completely.

t-ramp

Can anyone say if you are able to change the difficulty in-game on the fly? I want to start the game on hard but just in case that proves to be too difficult I would like to change to medium without having to restart the game completely.
Yeah, someone said you can change it at any time.

Hasney

I want to replay the first chapter without resetting my autosave. Is there a way to do that? I want to show it off to some people.

From what I can see, it doesn't have multiple saves. You can find the save and add a .bak to it though then restore it when you're finished.

Karak

Yes you can. Right in the options without an issue.

Double D

Playing on a stock 2500k and GTX 465 and 8GB RAM. Really happy with how it's running. Everything on Ultra except Shadows on High and AO set to whatever is one below the best. If I turn on VSync I never dip below 30, and get up to mid 40s. Without Vsync I average somewhere in the mid 50s.

Oh yeah, 1920 X 1200.

On a 660ti over here with 2GB, and experiencing the same stutter as others.

After fiddling with settings however, mine seems directly related to resolution. Anything above 1080p brings on the stuttery fps spikes (despite holding 40+ fps for the majority of the time) but if I set it to native 1080p then it's smooth as butter.

antitrop

Hey PC-Gaf can I not enable 1999 if I already started the game?
This is correct, it has to be a brand new playthrough and you can not change it once you start.

Is there a way to remove the "[Space] ATTACH" prompts for the skyhook? I've disabled all settings in the menus I can think of, but no dice.

Try changing 'bSkylineControlPanel=True' to False in XUserOptions.INI and tell me if that works.

Just a guess.

Four Wude

Unconfirmed Member
I'm having stutter issues as well, changing the PoolSize did not help at all. The stutter happens every time I enter a new area briefly. I hope its something that can be patched, because the game is so beautiful and the stutter takes you out of it. :-/

I'm running Ultra settings on 2x GTX 670 in SLI, 3570k @ 4.4ghz.

This may have been answered already, but when I use the SMAA drop files, or SweetFx configurator I can't get it to take in game. Nothing happens when I enable it. I don't have D3dOverrider running, or afterburner. I have Vsync and triple buffering set in nVidia control panel.

Any ideas?

I would love some insight in this as well - even using the frame limiter in game with it set to 60 in my .ini and SweetFX doesn't work. I've used it before in other games, but no dice with this.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Playing on a stock 2500k and GTX 465 and 8GB RAM. Really happy with how it's running. Everything on Ultra except Shadows on High and AO set to whatever is one below the best. If I turn on VSync I never dip below 30, and get up to mid 40s. Without Vsync I average somewhere in the mid 50s.

Oh yeah, 1920 X 1200.

I've been waiting for a post like this from someone with a 460 type card. Sounds good. I'll be happy with 30fps at 1080p if it's stable.

Try changing 'bSkylineControlPanel=True' to False in XUserOptions.INI and tell me if that works.

Just a guess.

Thanks for the suggestion, but the 'Skyline Control Panel' is an option in the menus themselves that you can toggle and it doesn't seem to affect the actual hooking prompts.

Facism

anyone know where the "save" is? Fucking disgusting that a pc game in 2013 has no save option or profile system so multiple people can play the game around each other.

Top Bottom