• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox 360 dashboard 2.0.14448.0 XDK (Fall 2011) leaks on to the web

MaddenNFL64 said:
This is supposed to be a premium service, or are we paying what is it, $4 a month for the benefit of giving Microsoft $4 a fucking month?

it's nothing, but shit, I wouldn't mind not paying a fucking dollar to this thing, ya know? Give me more ads if the money we give isn't enough.
What about paying to see a film in the cinema?

Paying for television?

Paying for a magazine?

Paying for a newspaper?

Have you ever bought anything in your entire life?

balladofwindfishes said:
just because other media does it doesn't make it right, nor does it make it so someone can't complain
If he wants to bitch about this, he better be doing it from a cinema where he's chained to a door carrying a "DOWN WITH ADVERTS" sign and burning newspapers.

bangai-o

Banned
upJTboogie said:
People who don't like ads on their console with a paid service are irrational, god damn.

I think I'm going to take a seat with a drink in my hand and enjoy this thread lol.
good a time as any to bring up the Comcast box that comes with ads!

pelican

charsace said:
I'll never understand why ads on the dashboard bothers people. Does it break immersion or something?

Because I am paying a subscription to a "premium" service. Nothing to do with immersion. If ads are the first thing I see then I find it annoying.

toythatkills said:
You're not in a minority, it's just that the anti-ad crew have to shout louder to make their insane ramblings heard. You read these threads and notice that the people who claim to be bothered by ads are completely irrationally bothered by them, angered by them to the point where many of them would claim to have been molested by an advert as a child just so they can stress how evil the adverts are.

When in reality, they're all but invisible and to avoid them all you have to do is press one button.
I have no problem with people hating ads. They don't bother me, but if they bother others that's fine. I just don't understand why talk about ads seems to dominate threads about the new Xbox experience. They're not a new feature, and from what we've seen they're not any worse. It seems better in fact, with no ad-spotlight page the system boots onto the game-in-your-disc-tray button, with a recently-played-games button on the home page also. Instead of talking about all of the new things this update brings, the conversation always seems to boil down to a pet hatred with Xbox Live in general.

pelican

toythatkills said:
If he wants to bitch about this, he better be doing it from a cinema where he's chained to a door carrying a "DOWN WITH ADVERTS" sign and burning newspapers.

That is a bit ridiculous. For a start you can easily miss adverts prior to a movie starting in a cinema. Book your tickets, and then go in for the movie to start.

bangai-o said:
good a time as any to bring up the Comcast box that comes with ads!
I'm going to take a shot anytime someone mentions cable and other media besides consoles. I might be wasted by the end of this thread!

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
dogmanstaruk said:
That is a bit ridiculous. For a start you can easily miss adverts prior to a movie starting in a cinema. Book your tickets, and then go in for the movie to start.
You can easily miss the ads on the Dashboard... boot to disc, and launch games from the Guide.

It works both ways, brah

bangai-o

Banned
dogmanstaruk said:
but how will you avoid the billboards next the road on the way to the theater?

dogmanstaruk said:
Have you ever been to a sporting event? What about all the adverts displayed around the pitch? Should they be giving the tickets out for free?

Have you ever played a sports videogame? Same thing, adverts, all around the pitch. I WANT MY MONEY BACK.

If you can give me one reason why the adverts are annoying, fair enough. You can't though. All people can say is that they're annoying, or that they shouldn't have to pay for a service with them on. The first is meaningless and the second is only an argument if you've just come to GAF from an Amish community and have literally never experienced any kind of media before in your entire life.

JaggedSac

Cannot wait to try out the Bing integration. Should make finding content incredibly easy. Especially since it will look in Zune, Netflix, Hulu, and whatever other services they are adding.

Also, cloud saves should be cool.

Not sure if I will be using beacons at all.

Did one of those pictures say application marketplace?

TwIsTeD

The ads don't really bother me but I just wish MS would take the high ground like Amazon and have an ad supported version and an ad free version of Gold Live

But they like $$$ and I'm dreaming

bananas

Banned
If you're upset you get ads for paying for Live, then stop paying for it. Vote with your wallet.

If you're like me and you're usually, I don't know, playing a game, you don't spend too much time in the dashboard. In which case the ads aren't a big deal.

toythatkills said:
If you can give me one reason why the adverts are annoying, fair enough.
I think a large part of it is that the competition isn't as pro-advert or prevalent with them.
The other gaming platforms (PS3, Wii/WiiU & in a related but slightly different camp, Steam) don't shove as many ads at the consumer i.e. they're trying to drain less money out of us.
If you're paying for Gold it can seem very greedy on Microsoft's part.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
toythatkills said:
Have you ever been to a sporting event? What about all the adverts displayed around the pitch? Should they be giving the tickets out for free?

Have you ever played a sports videogame? Same thing, adverts, all around the pitch. I WANT MY MONEY BACK.

If you can give me one reason why the adverts are annoying, fair enough. You can't though. All people can say is that they're annoying, or that they shouldn't have to pay for a service with them on. The first is meaningless and the second is only an argument if you've just come to GAF from an Amish community and have literally never experienced any kind of media before in your entire life.

I'm only paying ONCE for...

My Newspaper...

My Magazine

My Movie Ticket

My GT Football seats...

With my 360 I'm paying for the console, for the game, and for the ability to play online with said game that has online features, AND I'm still getting ads.

Television ads help subside some of the content that I'm receiving (not that Cable/Sat prices aren't out of wack). Neogaf has ads because it pays for the cost of running Neogaf. I'm also paying for internet access. I'm not paying for both though and getting ads.

If I do pay for premium content then I expect a way to turn off ads (a lot of websites let you turn off ads if you pay for the premium sub).

With MS' console I'm paying for the 360, for the game, and for live. Plus you still get ads no matter what.

PS: I voted with my wallet long ago, and haven't bought Live in like 3 years because of this and other reasons.

Zeouterlimits said:
I think a large part of it is that the competition isn't as pro-advert or prevalent with them.
The other gaming platforms (PS3, Wii/WiiU & in a related but slightly different camp, Steam) don't shove as many ads at the consumer i.e. they're trying to drain less money out of us.
If you're paying for Gold it can seem very greedy on Microsoft's part.

Are there any pics of the ads on the US store? The reason I ask is because I've only ever noticed one or two ads on the UK store and I only came across those when scrolling through the various windows.

They weren't in my face and they certainly didn't make me angry, upset, etc that they were there.

The blank spaces and sparse look just serve to highlight how ad heavy the 360 dashboard really is.

As for my stance on the 360 ads, I find them to be offensive and disrespectful. That's part of the reason why I do not pay for Live gold.

evangd007

toythatkills said:

In those industries such things are standard. In the gaming industry, well, when I boot up Steam, the only ads I see are for new games, games on sale, games with new DLC, and games with newly lowered prices. You know, information that I, as a gamer, may want to know. Same with my PS3. For Wii and 3DS I have to log into the store before I see any promotions, which is arguably too little. And I don't pay a service fee for those. The very least that MS could do is make Gold subs ad-free or ad-optional, especially for products and services that are not directly offered by XBL.

Emitan

evangd007 said:
In those industries such things are standard. In the gaming industry, well, when I boot up Steam, the only ads I see are for new games, games on sale, games with new DLC, and games with newly lowered prices. You know, information that I, as a gamer, may want to know. Same with my PS3. For Wii and 3DS I have to log into the store before I see any promotions, which is arguably too little. And I don't pay a service fee for those. The very least that MS could do is make Gold subs ad-free or ad-optional, especially for products and services that are not directly offered by XBL.
Don't forget you can turn off ads in Steam.

Brettison said:
I'm only paying ONCE etc
But why does that annoy you? What part of your life does that so adversely affect that you have to rally against their existence?

Seriously, I really don't understand. Especially when avoiding the adverts is as difficult as pressing a single button on the controller that's already in your hand.

MaddenNFL64

toythatkills said:

I said a premium service. Cable packages, magazines, newspapers & movies (though movies were at one time, and people DID make a stink about it, but it kept on happening & we just relented) are not those. These still exist, and I expected this to be one of them. Why pay for it, if we're still getting fucking advertising?

And I wouldn't pay a god damn cent for Xbox Live if they just let me play fucking online, and cut out the rest, I could give 2 god damn shits about the rest. Just give me a flood of ads to cover the incredible cost of peer to peer gaming, and let me enjoy my silver service.

Banned
bananas said:
If you're upset you get ads for paying for Live, then stop paying for it. Vote with your wallet.

If you're like me and you're usually, I don't know, playing a game, you don't spend too much time in the dashboard. In which case the ads aren't a big deal.

As long as Microsoft continues to give Gold members weekly discounts I am fine with the ads. 99% of them are game related which I like anyway.

MaddenNFL64

toythatkills said:
But why does that annoy you? What part of your life does that so adversely affect that you have to rally against their existence?

Seriously, I really don't understand. Especially when avoiding the adverts is as difficult as pressing a single button on the controller that's already in your hand.

I don't get you, where the fuck do you draw the line with advertising, when they finally blast it in your retina?

MaddenNFL64 said:
I don't get you, where the fuck do you draw the line with advertising, when they finally blast it in your retina?
If advertising ever had a negative effect on my life, then that's where I draw the line. A 100x100 pixel box on my television screen that I don't even have to look at does not equal a negative effect on my life.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
MaddenNFL64 said:
Hey man, I only need to see about 60% of what my eyes can see. Load up my retinas with your ads please, it isn't like it is a big deal.

Grecco

bangai-o said:
when does Youtube show up? havent heard anything on that in a while.

Since nobody awnsered your question, youtube will come with this dash update. Should be soon, you can see Youtube on Majornelsons gamercard.

Syriel

Kermit The Frog said:
They could at least have changed the language to English. This is 2011!

Eh, when it comes to NDA breaking/embargo breaking, mainland Europe has it mastered.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Grecco said:
Since nobody awnsered your question, youtube will come with this dash update. Should be soon, you can see Youtube on Majornelsons gamercard.
I hope it comes with achievements

Grecco

Ken Masters said:
when is the new dashboard officially released?

Not confirmed but rumor is November for the XBL aniversary. Seems likely with leaks and what not.

Wario64 said:
I hope it comes with achievements

I think one of the Xbox achievement websites had it at 0 pts.

Banned
Microsoft should do a study on which demographic is the most condemning of Live ads.

Gold members?
Silver members?
Non-360 owners?

bangai-o

Banned
Grecco said:
yes! Almost time for some HDStarcraft and softcore booty shaking videos on the bigger screen.

whitehawk

Banned
U n i o n 0015 said:
Yup. I think the NXE is fine as it is. It's got its flaws but overall it works okay. This is a step backward.
The original NXE was the best. But they update it a while ago and made it worse :(

toythatkills said:
It's literally impossible to make statements like "it's a step backwards" without first using it.

"It looks like it might possibly be a step backwards" is as committal as one can be right now, even though it doesn't, particularly.

Okay, "it looks like a step backwards from the media I have seen so far."

You can receive your internet winner award at the end of the line, to your right.

h3ro

Foxy Fox 39 said:
I don't mind the ads.

Am I weird?

I wouldn't mind them either if I was able to set what my default start up section was. For God's sake, let me start at My Xbox. I don't care about Major Nelson interviewing someone at Comic Con.

If I'm going to d/l a demo or browsing marketplace, show me all the adverts you want, that's fine and actually makes sense. I HATE having to navigate multiple panes to get to my already purchased content that I want to play.

When advertising takes up a space on the GUI that could instead be used for something that improves the use are experience, I have a problem with it. The current 360 dashboard is like that. Hopefully the new one will be better.

Top Bottom