• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DayZ - zombie apocalypse online FFA permadeath survival Arma II mod

Looks like everything is cool?

Now it is time to rebuild our city. ;~;

Not a mod or admin that said it was ok, so we'll see. I replied and I'll be posting in the DayZ Server Admin group to see what can be done. If I can have all tents wiped from the server, that would be ideal. I really wish they would disable them in their current state. It would prevent a lot of cheaters from being able to stockpile and dupe (it works on items in rare circumstances.)

That being said, if you do use a tent, here's how to avoid duping after an incorrect placement:

HOW TO PREVENT TENT DUPING
Don't try to drop the duped tent into a tent. That simple. Drop it on the ground away from the "misplaced" tent and you'll be fine. The bug persists if you try to load a duped tent into the tent that caused the dupe. For every attempt to unload the duped tent into the misplaced tent, it generates another duped tent "in" the original duped tent, which is why you just keep unloading them.

You CANNOT feign lack of knowledge now. If you do end up with a few, load them into a legitimate tent and blow it up. There's no reason to hang onto them.

If you guys end up with that amount again I will flip my shit and temp-ban anyone stupid enough to associate them self with that "Tent City". I "jokingly" berated you last night, but I was serious. It took me all of 2 minutes to figure out what was going on and how to prevent it when it first happened to me. Don't try to convince me you're dumb.

Also, please, for the love of God, do not engage these people in conversation. Their intent is to cause shit and any opportunity we give them is one step closer to actually slipping up and giving them a real opportunity to capitalize on.

mik83kuu

Banned
So from what I understand, two random assholes killed all of you guys, fucked with your shit and then bragged about it?

Well there was also a bus of six people who got our white pickup and killed a bunch of us, but yeah some OPA dude(s) really showed our place to us LOL :)

legacyzero

Banned
I would've have been there to help, but I screwed up my game trying to beta patch.

Mindisfulloffuck.jpg.

I think ill jump into mumble later and have somebody talk me through it....

Edit: shitty auto correct. EPILEPSY? seriously? :lol

docbon

So from what I understand, two random assholes killed all of you guys, fucked with your shit and then bragged about it?

yeah it kinda owned up until the very last bit with the cheating report. DayZ is just a walking simulator without the threat of 50 cal boolet with every step. then it becomes amazing.

mik83kuu

Banned
I joined that mumble server the other day listed in the OP. They just called me a fag and told me to get out. I didn't even have my mic up to say anything. :(

Someone calling you a fag? Well that's uncalled for and extremely rude. You joining a Mumble server w/o a mic? Well that's just stupid tbh.

Anyone who wants to join our Mumble is welcome, just don't act like you're there just to listen since right now a problem we have is that we are being listened to. And I don't mean the dudes from yesterday from OPA who said they're not in on our Mumble. I mean for the past week we've had people join our Mumble w/o a mic and we've let them stay and surprisingly our tents get raided with a little too much precision.

Sanjuro

Someone calling you a fag? Well that's uncalled for and extremely rude. You joining a Mumble server w/o a mic? Well that's just stupid tbh.

Anyone who wants to join our Mumble is welcome, just don't act like you're there just to listen since right now a problem we have is that we are being listened to. And I don't mean the dudes from yesterday from OPA who said they're not in on our Mumble. I mean for the past week we've had people join our Mumble w/o a mic and we've let them stay and surprisingly our tents get raided with a little too much precision.

How is that stupid? I just installed a program that I've never used before.

mik83kuu

Banned
How is that stupid? I just installed a program that I've never used before.

Well Mumble is software for people to talk to each other using voice (as in speak into a microphone). Once Mumble is installed it pops up a setup wizard to configure a mic and all related settings.

I mean it's stupid like turning on an Xbox w/o a controller hooked up is stupid. It's pointless.

As someone that doesn't have Arma but is considering picking it up for this mod, can anyone explain to me how bad the hacking is in this mod? It sounds like, from this page, that there are some major issues? I can't really keep up with it very well, so I'm just curious.

Well it is an Alpha so there are going to be issues, which if you understand that you wouldn't get too frustrated with it. As far as hacking is concerned, it really is just like any other game. It happens, but it is not as bad as maybe we make it out to be. I think the Admins just want to make it fair across the board so we voice our issues so that DayZ devs whom read this forum may have an idea as to what problems exist. But really you have more to worry about with the Z's and Bandits as opposed to the hackers. I would just play it and have fun.
Just installed the game yesterday, still not quite sure what I should be doing.
Well, there are really no goals but survive so as far as what you should be doing no one can really say. Generally, most people like to get good gear and then work on vehicles. But this Mod is more about making your own story. You could be a bandit, a hunter of men and a destroyer of peace if you choose, or a bastion of hope in a world of destruction and help others or a vehicle savant whom knows how to bring the joys of expedient travel to the world or a crazy old hermit man whom lives in the woods and survives off the land, or a bandit hunter, or a city planner who builds refuge in an undisclosed location with tents and barricades or you could try and end the infection(which will never happen) and hunt the dead.

Point is, there is no point. If you can't make a goal for yourself, and want the mod to give you a direction, you won't find one. You just have to play and see what kind of person you are. Really though, when first starting off, getting lost with no direction is such a rush. You have no idea what's going on, who's friend or foe, where to go, and it is exciting not knowing what is going to or supposed to happen.

I joined that mumble server the other day listed in the OP. They just called me a fag and told me to get out. I didn't even have my mic up to say anything. :(
Uhmm, that did not happen, at all. You kept coming into the mumble, not saying anything and them would leave. No one, at least when I was on told you to leave or called you a fag. I don't think in all the time I've played this mod anyone has even said that word. We've cursed our asses off but never, EVER, used that word. So do not say that.

But that aside, don't you think it'd be a good idea to have a MIC when you come into a voice chat service? You can also type in the the box and everyone can read what you say. I personally walked a person in the mumble through the entire process of how to install the beta patch and I know that most of us would do the same for almost all newcomers. If you have problems by all means just type it out in the mumble and someone I'm sure would help you. But I do know that when you kept hopping in and out I thought you were another OPA-ages guy so I may have accused you of that. I apologize kind sir.

Yay or Nay on us having a DayZ mumble server? Not only would it be easier to moderate (lower Mickey's volume...), but we could also look into setting up that proximity chat.

legacyzero

Banned
Who the hell from GAF called u that??

GAF is better than that!! I hope the person throwing around those insults get a good Bish'n

Sanjuro

Well, it did happen. Just seems kind of lousy when you're promoting that Mumble channel for people to come in for help. Ultimately I don't care.

You guys are acting like I went into the channel without a microphone on purpose. I do have a microphone, however it wasn't functioning properly. I'm using Boot Camp. The drivers for the audio input port weren't correctly working, so I had to find some sort of USB alternative. By the time I had everything set up on all ends it was late. Didn't feel like putting up with any additional crap.

Who the hell from GAF called u that??

GAF is better than that!! I hope the person throwing around those insults get a good Bish'n

Not sure. Didn't recognize the names, but there were five people or so in the channel.

Well, it did happen. Just seems kind of lousy when you're promoting that Mumble channel for people to come in for help. Ultimately I don't care.

You guys are acting like I went into the channel without a microphone on purpose. I do have a microphone, however it wasn't functioning properly. I'm using Boot Camp. The drivers for the audio input port weren't correctly working, so I had to find some sort of USB alternative. By the time I had everything set up on all ends it was late. Didn't feel like putting up with any additional crap.

Not sure. Didn't recognize the names, but there were five people or so in the channel.
Well if you don't want to make the effort to have a working mic why should anyone assume you are not just another griefer? It seems like a half hearted effort really. But I know when you jumped in it was me, Mickey, broken, and Osteo as far as I know. So I still think you might be wrong about someone name calling. But, yes, just identify yourself via text and no one would be suspicious.

NIX, I'll look into getting our own Mumble set up if you haven't already. I'll pass word it do that we don't just get random people like we've had in the last week or so. I'll front the cost as well. I don't really know the avenue I need to go down, but a little googling should solve that.

To all, when/if our mumble is set up. It will not be for just the crew that plays now, but it will be PW protected to avoid stalkers. So I'll post back when I have more info, it will be GAF only though.

Sanjuro

Well if you don't want to make the effort to have a working mic why should anyone assume you are not just another griefer? It seems like a half hearted effort really. But I know when you jumped in it was me, Mickey, broken, and Osteo as far as I know. So I still think you might be wrong about someone name calling. But, yes, just identify yourself via text and no one would be suspicious.

Christ, how would you even know this? I did type in the text box as well.

smh

Oreoleo

To all, when/if our mumble is set up. It will not be for just the crew that plays now, but it will be PW protected to avoid stalkers. So I'll post back when I have more info, it will be GAF only though.

You can do that on the GAF Mumble now, just talk to Nabs. He set up a passworded room for us for a TF2 tournament just last week.

smh

I know that feel. Sometimes people don't see my text or hear the text to speech. Come back on tonight. You picked a bad night to come on randomly as people were getting suspicious of everyone. We need to work on our hospitality, even if the people are spying.

By the time I had everything set up on all ends it was late. Didn't feel like putting up with any additional crap.

smh
That is why I made that assumption. We really don't need to argue anymore. We can just move on, we'll all have it fixed soon anyways so we don't run into problems anymore.

Also, I'm looking into buying a server now, I just need to get an idea how many slots we should have. Looking at typefrag it's about $30 for 30 slots for 3 months. Anyone wanna throw out how many slots would be good to have?

Irish

Wait... what mumble name did you use? There was a dude named frog/apologetic frog who we were just trying to talk to but left quickly. If you mistake your own name for 'fag' when you are called 'frog,' that could be a problem. I'm willing to help out right now though.

Irish

What time did you get on? I mean, I really don't remember this incident and I really don't think this group is as insular as it may seem. The terminology also seems completely out of place. I would definitely like for you to join us.

abusori

What time did you get on? I mean, I really don't remember this incident and I really don't think this group is as insular as it may seem. The terminology also seems completely out of place. I would definitely like for you to join us.

We've had a few new people join up recently and they're already basically part of the crew.
I certainly felt welcome the first time I played. I don't remember this guy joining though, so I must've already been off.

MTyYd.jpg

That was me and aj! We were just dancing, minding our own business when this dude started shooting at us. He killed aj, the only one of us who has a clan tag, I believe, which is why they were all like "admins who have clan tags." Neither of us is an admin though. Nix hates us too much to give us admin. :p

Also what the hell is OPA? Some forum with a grudge against gaf?

gutabo

I don't believe this. I've joined the channel a couple of times, both times I had a shitty experience but because of me. First time I was using the wife's laptop which I didn't know has a built in mic and that was screwing up my headset mic. My 3mo son was sleeping so I had to be REALLY quiet. Second time I couldn't even talk(again, baby and wife were sleeping) so I just logged off after a bit. I haven't tried again but as soon as I can find a way I'll be there again. Most likely after my parents' visit is over.

Both times people were very nice, they only complained a bit about my faulty mic but I would've done the same thing. I chatted for a bit too. I was a perfect stranger and I got no hate at all.

mr stroke

Just started playing this and I can't find anyone.

Is it odd that after playing 5 games I still can't find any other players? Is everyone hiding somewhere?

Volimar

Man, watching all these videos gets my bloodlust up. I wish I had an old FPS for my 360 laying around so I could indulge in some murder.

mik83kuu

Banned
I just got Dayz up and running. Can i play with you guys?

Of course. It's just that we're very Mumble-centric and don't really play around with people who are not on there. You are welcome to join Mumble and hang out, just please when you join don't join up muted "just to listen". That's not cool by our tinfoiled minds.

abusori

Just started playing this an I can't find anyone.

Is it odd that after playing 5 games I still can't find any other players? Is everyone hiding somewhere?

That was mostly my experience when I was playing by myself. If you just stay near the bigger cities on the south coast though, you'll find plenty of people, but actually cooperating with them can be a challenge, even if they don't shoot you on sight.

Which brings up a pet peeve of mine so I'll blab about that now.
I can't tell you how many people I've met that I actually didn't shoot who then typed at me. I just left after that, because I don't have the patience to deal with people without mics. It takes them 5 minutes to tell me "hello" and then they won't say anything else because they'd have to stop to type. People, get a mic, and then actually use it. Please.

Here is the mic I use: http://accessories.eracks.com/product/zm-mic1/ (dunno about eracks, just the cheapest I found with google)
I've never had any complaints about it in over 1500 hours of use, and it costs all of 5 bucks. Anyone that has a gaming pc can afford this mic.

Dmented

Banned
That was mostly my experience when I was playing by myself. If you just stay near the bigger cities on the south coast though, you'll find plenty of people, but actually cooperating with them can be a challenge, even if they don't shoot you on sight.

Which brings up a pet peeve of mine so I'll blab about that now.
I can't tell you how many people I've met that I actually didn't shoot who then typed at me. I just left after that, because I don't have the patience to deal with people without mics. It takes them 5 minutes to tell me "hello" and then they won't say anything else because they'd have to stop to type. People, get a mic, and then actually use it. Please.

Here is the mic I use: http://accessories.eracks.com/product/zm-mic1/ (dunno about eracks, just the cheapest I found with google)
I've never had any complaints about it in over 1500 hours of use, and it costs all of 5 bucks. Anyone that has a gaming pc can afford this mic.

I bought that mic and thought it was terrible. Ended up with the Antlion ModMic which is awesome. http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005IT9P3G/?tag=neogaf0e-20 Usually out of stock, these things go quick. If you know what to do, you could even make one of these on the cheap pretty easily.

abusori

I bought that mic and thought it was terrible. Ended up with the Antlion ModMic which is awesome. http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005IT9P3G/?tag=neogaf0e-20 Usually out of stock, these things go quick. If you know what to do, you could even make one of these on the cheap pretty easily.

Hey, I'm just recommending what I've used and had no problems with. Any mic is going to be bad if you don't set it up properly.

But, perhaps me having a good sound card is what makes the difference. At the same time, I've read endless good reviews on the mic from people without one.

Slot list ideas for mumble guys? I'm thinking a 20 slot mumble will do us fine as there are never really more than that on at 1 time?!

Sounds good to me. We should probably put the info up in email tags so only gaffers can see it.
I know there's a few banned guys though, just steam friend them and send it there or something.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
lol, reading this thread I just can't understand why people use Mumble and have a lot of problems instead of chatting on Skype.

mik83kuu

Banned
lol, reading this thread I just can't understand why people use Mumble and have a lot of problems instead of chatting on Skype.

Only problems we have is we don't have a dedicated personal Mumble server where we can kick people out. Also I very highly doubt Skype could hold 15 people in one conversation with people joining from all over the world. I Skype with my IRL friends all the time and a group of 5 people has a serious impact on the dude hosting the call in terms of CPU and network bandwidth.

Irish

Well, mumble sound quality is amazing and it is easy to use. We just use an open server, so anyone can get in and troll.

Top Bottom