• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Classic to ship into 2018. More NES Classic will release in 2018.

MisterHero

lol at everyone who thinks this will combat scalpers. They will both still sell out because it's nintendo
That's not a scalping problem, Nintendo products have retained their value well over the decades. It's kind of a collector problem but at the same time Nintendo games and etc. have some kind of prestige value, so I have a hard time deciding if it's an actual problem. Lol

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
>delaying the Gamecube Classic so I can't play a portable PSO Ep 1 & 2 with it's built in wifi.

jviggy43

You mean it actually wasnt a good idea to upend a crazy popular item for no reason at all like some people here would have you believe? Weird.

This is just like the Pokémon Go Plus.

Sold so few at launch that they all got scooped up, now you can find them everywhere because Nintendo / Niantic decided to do the next release of them way after people had gotten bored with Pokémon Go.

Waiting a year to rerelease the NES classic is gonna hurt demand by a bit. People may not impulse buy as much.

But really, it's going to print money anyways so I hope Nintendo doesn't use it as an excuse to continue artificial demand attempts.

>delaying the Gamecube Classic so I can't play a portable PSO Ep 1 & 2 with it's built in wifi.

I will slaughter villages for a Gamecube classic with Melee.

dcx4610

NES and SNES Classic should be a permanent part of Nintendo's hardware line.

There's also going to be someone out there that wants to play something retro. Those people aren't going to buy the Switch. They want something they can plug in and play and the Classic serves that purpose.

I can see how the business thinking would be that it could cannibalize Switch sales and the future Virtual Console but I think that's a different market. Get that paper.

Dub117

Now maybe I can get an actual NES classic to go with my NES classic controller, I'm so glad I didn't sell it! Got SNES preordered, thanks Nintendo.

To scalpers:
"Fuck 'em" -Reg

Paskil

Reggie: Don't worry about getting a SNES Classic, THERE WILL BE PLENTY.
Nintendo: Due to incredible demand, we will no longer discontinue manufacturing the SNES Classic at the end of 2017 like originally planned.

Good luck to people finding one before 2018 unless you already have one pre-ordered, plan on camping out/lining up, or get incredibly lucky.

^^ my read.

What was the point of having such a small amount of preorders?

Still shook by wiiu overproduction, maybe?

"Nes mini is fun idea but would people really buy it? Better not to overproduce, just make it a limited novelty item"
"Woops they sold out. Let's double production for the super. We clearly underestimated demand but I'd still rather not have warehouses full of unneeded stock again."
"Well crap they sole out instantly. Guess this might be a sustainable product line after all."

What part of Nintendo oversees the minis? Maybe they didn't do a mid-year refresh cause whoevers job it is also had to worry about the switch?

Or they just messed up.

Wonderful news! I've got my SNES Classic preordered at Best Buy, but now I can pick up an NES Classic too! Scalpers be crying right now and they're tears are delicious!

Guaranteed they will try to close it with NES Classic 2.0

The SNES still retains the USB port (we don't know how it'll work yet though) so I wouldn't say there's no chance whatsoever.

Not gonna lie, I might actually buy these if they're easy enough to find. If nothing else, they'd be neat ways to introduce my future kids to gaming.

Kaizer

Banned
Sorry Nintendo, until I'm physically holding a NES & SNES Classic in my hand:

giphy.gif

tesqui

Still shook by wiiu overproduction, maybe?

"Nes mini is fun idea but would people really buy it? Better not to overproduce, just make it a limited novelty item"
"Woops they sold out. Let's double production for the super. We clearly underestimated demand but I'd still rather not have warehouses full of unneeded stock again."
"Well crap they sole out instantly. Guess this might be a sustainable product line after all."

What part of Nintendo oversees the minis? Maybe they didn't do a mid-year refresh cause whoevers job it is also had to worry about the switch?

Or they just messed up.

Yeah, I suppose it could be that. I just wonder if this first batch for launch will be sufficient enough or will match the preorders.

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.
Thank you for posting this. I may or may have not only watched/listened to this once before, eons ago. Blew me away now. Loved the song and the video.

Enjoyed it? Good.
latest

My price for the service? One NES Classic. :D

Gotta get that cash.

Honestly? Yes. They have a demand for it and aside from production costs that are very likely made up for in the price, not making more is leaving money on the table for the secondhand market to take and treat like stocks and bonds.

This is the right move.

Nintendo reads Carlisle posts on NeoGAF confirmed.

Any company not reading GAF at least a tiny bit in the gaming industry is foolish. Yes, there's lots of echo chambering in here, but there's also some insight to be gleaned.

Maybe that means they'll restock the NES in the company store so I can finally not have a refurb box. I want the retail packaging darn it!! :(

Such a first world problem.

Widge

I might grab one. I passed initially, felt remorse when it went from stock, but have the SNES Mini on the way.

Might be fun for the kids to play the basic MARIO games. Apparently my phone has to all caps MARIO.

mhayes86

I'll believe it when I have one of each in my hands, but this is great news, and I'm fine with waiting until 2018 if need be.

As an aside, somewhat mini NES related, I want to give away two RetroFlag NESPi cases...

retroflag.com

... as the dark early days of my podcast needs 50 FaceBook Page Likes and 100 YouTube Channel Likes. I need these so I can lock down my name with a custom URL on those sites. Would I be able to do this in NeoGaf is is that against the rules?

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
Wow that is really cool Nintendo. Good job.

Except they should have continued to ship the NES Classic in the first place to meet at least some demand. Instead they artificially limited it and shipped a little over a million units worldwide, causing widespread scalping and unfortunately some fakes on ebay.

Part of the appeal was the scarcity of the product. Funny how that works...

Not really, not at all.

It's people who want to play some NES and SNES titles on a neat physical product with real controllers, sold in an 80's/90's styled box, all official from Nintendo. Both boxes have pretty decent selections.

Grady

Well, if they are doing nes classic again next year they probably aren't ready to release the n64 classic. I bet that will be 2019.

LowSignal

Any company not reading GAF at least a tiny bit in the gaming industry is foolish. Yes, there's lots of echo chambering in here, but there's also some insight to be gleaned.

Maybe that means they'll restock the NES in the company store so I can finally not have a refurb box. I want the retail packaging darn it!! :(

Such a first world problem.

That's worth even more as a collectors item.

I feel ya brah. Especially if these will become evergreen seasonal products from Nintendo going forward.

GOOD. I'm a game collector and all, but I want these things to get into the hands of non-gamers, young kids who aren't familiar with the games, or just lapsed gamers who feel nostalgic and want to relive their youth. That to me is more exciting than owning a rare, expensive piece of plastic.

Well, if they are doing nes classic again next year they probably aren't ready to release the n64 classic. I bet that will be 2019.
Hopefully that gives them enough time to wok out licensing deals with problematic titles like the rare library and goldeneye so it will be as comprehensive as possible.

GOOD. I'm a game collector and all, but I want these things to get into the hands of non-gamers, young kids who aren't familiar with the games, or just lapsed gamers who feel nostalgic and want to relive their youth. That to me is more exciting than owning a rare, expensive piece of plastic.

Yeah I'm with you on that for sure. I'm just saying it somewhat reduces my desire to buy/own one, it's almost like a mathematical fact I can't influence. But I'm still most likely going to get at least the SNES Classic (I want both US and EU models actually, whereas with the NES I only wanted the US one), and maybe the NES depending what if any changes Nintendo does to it.

Top Bottom