• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hollow Knight |OT| Cute Insects That Just Want to Burrow Into Your Heart

header4wr4l.png

neogafyrzh9.png

Descend into the Dark
Beneath the fading town of Dirtmouth sleeps an ancient, forgotten kingdom. Many are drawn beneath the surface searching for riches, or glory, or answers to old secrets. As the enigmatic Hollow Knight, you'll traverse the depths, unravel its mysteries and conquer its evils.

Platforms: PC (Linux, Windows, Mac), Switch, PS4
Release Date:
PC: (Linux, Windows) February 24th (Kickstarter backers should receive their code on the 23rd)
Mac: March 28th (beta)
Switch/PS4: Later this year.​
Price: $14.99/£10.99
Player(s): 1
Format: Digital Only
Developer: Team Cherry (Including NeoGAF member AriEX2)
File Size: 9 Gigabytes (PC)

infol8oru.png

What kind of game is this?
Hollow Knight is a 2D platformer in the vein of Metroid where you will move through a, hand-drawn, interconnected world while gaining abilities and combating enemies.

What are some of the features/mechanics in Hollow Knight?
A Hunter's Journal that you can add each of the
enemies and
bosses to, a Dream Nail that allows you to leap into the minds of NPCs and enemies and equippable Charms that offer bizarre new powers and abilities.

Are there unlockable modes?
Beating the game will unlock Steel Soul Mode which is described as ”the ultimate challenge".

Is Hollow Knight coming to other platforms not already listed?
Team Cherry has stated the game is possibly coming to other platforms in the future.

How long is it?
...the 30+ hours it takes to 100% (according to a couple playtesters)

trailersq9r1d.png

Hollow Knight - Teaser Trailer
Hollow Knight - Dream Nail Trailer
Hollow Knight - Ferocious Foes Trailer
Hollow Knight - Release Trailer

reviewsagp1t.png

Metacritic

linksn7rn3.png

Jofamo

I've been listening to the soundtrack on Spotify since it was made available, and I haven't been this excited for an Indie game in a long time.

I can only really play this on Switch, so I hope we get a release date in the Nindies showcase next week.

Moobabe

Hot damn stuff needs to stop releasing so close to each other.

This might have to wait a couple of months for me while I play Night in the Woods.

Anno

The little beta thing last year and the preview that went out with the Humble Monthly were both great. Just got my code from the Kickstarter, can't wait to start playing tomorrow. The game is so gorgeous.

phanphare

Banned
The little beta thing last year and the preview that went out with the Humble Monthly were both great. Just got my code from the Kickstarter, can't wait to start playing tomorrow. The game is so gorgeous.

how does the jumping feel?

Stoze

Nice OT. Price is wrong though, it's $15 not 20.

Very excited for this. The instruction book and comic you get for pre-ordering are well done, I didn't look at the map though for fear of spoilers.

One worry I have is maybe they showed too much, the dream nail for instance would've been a crazy surprise. Part of that is the nature of it being Kickstarted though since that was one of their initial bullet points/things to show off. The other worry is if the game can keep up the pace and not get repetitive over the 30+ hours it takes to 100% (according to a couple playtesters). I don't think I've ever spent even close to that much time in a single Metroid-like/Metroidvania game before.

Voror

Missed the KS for this but really liking what I've seen. I'll probably pick it up for the Switch when it comes out on that.

I've been interested in this game since I missed the KS, but now that I'm hearing it's coming to the Switch soon after launch, I'll be there day one.

Happy I did the KS. I remained blind on all the updates, so getting the steam key this morning was a pleasant surprise. Can't wait to dive into this after I finish Night in the Woods

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
my most wanted game in ages, cant wait. Let me buy it Steam >_<

oh damn 9gigs?

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
You did not even know it existed 3 weeks ago.

In all seriousness, it may be my purchase of the month.

I meant I havent wanted a game this much in ages, not "Ive wanted this game for a long time". Stop being so French.

no midnight release I guess :(

atbigelow

One of the devs hooked me up with a beta key for this a while back and it was pretty great.

Probably gonna pick it up on Switch.

Amzin

Although immaterial to me, 9 gigs seems staggeringly high for a 2D Metroidvania game o_O

Oh well, can't wait. Going to try and polish off some stuff in Dragon's Dogma tonight and kick this off for the weekend!

Umi88

Can't wait to play it after waiting 2+ years yay :p

my most wanted game in ages, cant wait. Let me buy it Steam >_<

oh damn 9gigs?

yup seems like the game requires ~9gb (as stated on steam) , just asked a friend that is currenlty playing it

Really excited, but correction on the Switch version timeframe:

It is now slated for "later in the year"

That's disappointing but not unexpected. I was surprised when the "not too long after the platform's launch" date was mentioned in the Kickstarter update; seemed a bit too quick a turnaround.

Hope it's not too far off, but then again there are so many games coming up maybe it's for the best...

Rhaknar

some peeps on the Steam thread some weeks ago were saying the game is anyware from 20 to 40 hours long, depending on how completionist you are with your metroidvanias.

Can beta peeps confirm?

Stoze

some peeps on the Steam thread some weeks ago were saying the game is anyware from 20 to 40 hours long, depending on how completionist you are with your metroidvanias.

Can beta peeps confirm?

From the Kickstarter thread:
It's balanced incredibly well. It does get fairly advanced by the end of the game, but it comfortably guides you the whole way. You don't even get the last ability until like 20+ hours into the game (beta tester here).
Their PR guy said it took him 34 hours to 100% it on the Steam forums.

FiraB

Banned
Pixel Privateeers, Oxygen Not Included and Hollow Knight. Son of a bitch, guess hollow knight it is until horizon. Good thing I didnt cave with nier.

Wok

Although immaterial to me, 9 gigs seems staggeringly high for a 2D Metroidvania game o_O

Oh well, can't wait. Going to try and polish off some stuff in Dragon's Dogma tonight and kick this off for the weekend!

Ori & the blind forest is 10 GB.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

Can beta peeps confirm?

Beta keys just offer a sliver of the game, not entirely unlike A Hat in Time. It isn't akin to, say, We Happy Few, where alpha backers were given access to a build that was continually updated and expanded.

Edit: Ah, apparently backers were given slightly early access to the release build, which I now gather is what you're asking about. Disregard. Oh, I misread the most recent Kickstarter update. "You'll be all ready to play at launch" clearly doesn't point to earlyish access. D'oh.

iiicon

Really excited, but correction on the Switch version timeframe:

It is now slated for "later in the year"

That makes my decision a little easier, although I just picked up Shovel Knight (double dipped) and Night in the Woods this week, so maybe I'll be waiting on the sidelines regardless.

I really enjoyed the preview build from the Humble Monthly. Great art style, very responsive controls; Ori & The Blind Forest raised the bar for indie Metroidvania games and Hollow Knight seems more than capable of meeting those heights.

Top Bottom