• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Max Payne 3 - New Tech & Design Video Coming Tomorrow - 03/15

I think there will be plenty of gore and shots to the face.

Kpg6u.jpg

Don't get me wrong, I think the game definitely looks plenty gory, but I'm just curious to see if it's going to be heads and limbs blowing off/hypergore, sort of following on from the stuff they did with the Manhunt series, but with a focus on shooting.

Simo

Fighting vicious criminals and his own personal demons while in the volatile Brazilian metropolis of São Paulo, Max Payne is reminded of his fair share of trouble found on the streets of New York City..

Here's a quartet of new screens featuring the NYC area levels of Max Payne 3 which you’ll encounter in both the single-player story and in the multiplayer experience
maxpayne3-2047-1280.jpg

maxpayne3-2046-1280.jpg

maxpayne3-2045-1280.jpg

maxpayne3-2044-1280.jpg

Quick question. You know those quick kills that Max does in some of the videos, did he do any in the New York setting? I don't think I've seen any.

If so, I get this feeling that Max is well at home, if you will, in Brazil. Violence is rampant everywhere and it looks like he's letting his extremely violent nature, which seems to have build up over the years of alcohol and drug abuse. Not to mention the emotional wreck he is after so much death he's seen over time.

Quick question. You know those quick kills that Max does in some of the videos, did he do any in the New York setting? I don't think I've seen any.

If so, I get this feeling that Max is well at home, if you will, in Brazil. Violence is rampant everywhere and it looks like he's letting his extremely violent nature, which seems to have build up over the years of alcohol and drug abuse. Not to mention the emotional wreck he is after so much death he's seen over time.

To be fair, they haven't shown much of NY. But you raise an intriguing point about him essentially cutting loose and letting out the insane violence.

Hair payne is best payne.

i agree, but i think the changing hair styles is to aid in making it obvious Max's narrative as it jumps around in time like in that video.

i'm so glad this game is being made. i'm so glad it's building on the gameplay of the first two and not chucking it all out for regenerating health.

dude, look up stranglehold...its the same. i'm not saying max payne 3 isn't going to be fun or anything, i'm just saying it doesn't look much different from stranglehold that came out years ago. and stranglehold had more destructibility, you could even kill enemies with the environment(other than exploding barrels) instead of straight up shooting them.

Dude Stranglehold is the Max Payne copy cat. Not the other way around.

LEGGZZZZ

Yeah this looks pretty incredible. Makes me even more hyped about GTA5, I want to see want gameplay improvements they took from Max Payne and incorporated to that game. Hopefully a lot.

Sethos

Banned
Edit: Beaten. Thanks, shitty upload speed.

At least the quality of yours is a lot better. Mind me asking what settings you use to eliminate the sharp colour grading? Not even sure it's possible within Photoshop's 'Save for Web & Devices'

EDIT: Oh appears to be Noise dithering

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
At least the quality of yours is a lot better. Mind me asking what settings you use to eliminate the sharp colour grading? Not even sure it's possible within Photoshop's 'Save for Web & Devices' ?

Nothing in particular, just 256 colours and dithering. I use Adobe Fireworks, but I'm sure Photoshop can do the same.

Edit:
At least the quality of yours is a lot better. Mind me asking what settings you use to eliminate the sharp colour grading? Not even sure it's possible within Photoshop's 'Save for Web & Devices'

EDIT: Oh appears to be Noise dithering?

Yep. Well, palette dithering.

Fuck. That is so badass. Can't wait to play this.

I love that he seems just wander around carrying a machine pistol in his coat instead of a handgun. No kill like overkill.

Edit: Another thing I'm digging is that while his narration is very much like the narration in the first two games, low-key and deadpan in a way, McCaffrey's actual deliver in scenes with other characters while speaking dialogue actually seems to be much more natural. In the first two games, for the most part, Max was very reserved and deadpan, even while speaking to others (though not always). This time around, he seems to be cutting more loose, much more naturalistic delivery.

Blutonium

Dude Stranglehold is the Max Payne copy cat. Not the other way around.

But Max Payne is heavily influenced by the heroic bloodshed movies John Woo used to make. Movies like the Killer, A Better Tomorrow and Hard-Boiled have all been inspiration for the game.

Stranglehold is a 'sequel' to Hard-Boiled, both directed by John Woo. So in a way, Max Payne IS the copycat.

But Max Payne is heavily influenced by the heroic bloodshed movies John Woo used to make. Movies like the Killer, A Better Tomorrow and Hard-Boiled have all been inspiration for the game.

Stranglehold is a 'sequel' to Hard-Boiled, both directed by John Woo. So in a way, Max Payne IS the copycat.

John Woo --> Max Payne --> John Woo's Game

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism

Regardless of who copied who, wasn't the original question that sparked this conversation "what does Max Payne 3 do that Stranglehold didn't do?" That's a separate question from "who came first?"

Regardless of who copied who, wasn't the original question that sparked this conversation "what does Max Payne 3 do that Stranglehold didn't do?" That's a separate question from "who came first?"

Greater attention to detail, greater depth in the gameplay and the game world, higher production values in every arena (visuals, sound, VA work, narrative, gameplay, etc).

I can't get over how the clothing wrinkles as he moves,...it just looks...so good.

I feel like the "next gen" Xbox360 and PS3 were supposed to bring years ago has just started.

Dacon

Banned

Film influence and gameplay influence are two different subjects, and the only one that matters in this case is gameplay.

tci

The "trailer" is console footage, right? It doesn't look good at all. The PC build better have better textures than that.

The cut scene system doesn't look that hot either.

Seems another series is dead to me. :(

The "trailer" is console footage, right? It doesn't look good at all. The PC build better have better textures than that.

The cut scenes doesn't look that hot either.

Did you know Max Payne shaves off his hair in this one too?

Loxley

Thanks guys, that's awesome.

Hair Payne is always awesome, but Collateral-Max is the epitome of cool.

Yep.

The cut scene system doesn't look that hot either.

Thank fuck GAF hasn't turned me into a graphics whore.

Nibel

The game will look stunning on every platform. Just look at the transitions from cutscene into gameplay or the animation system.

Fucking good.

tci

The tech is good. But the game doesn't really shine at all. Especially the textures are terrible.

Also the comic panel I don't like at all. So messy and annoying. The video doesn't help with the terrible narrator either.

I just don't feel the MP in this. I have said it since the beginning and in other threads. It would be good for any other game, but not MP.

Ah, the eternal suffering of a graphics whore. Game looks great, IMO. As long as it's as fun as the previous games, it could have textures from a PS1 game for all I care.

Fjordson

I'll be honest, I don't even really notice textures in trailers and whatnot. At least not in ones with so much shit going on like these. I'm sure there will be some ugly ones in there considering this is a console game.

But it looks pretty amazing to me. The animation goes such a long way.

Top Bottom