• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wind River (dir. Taylor Sheridan)

Just thinking about this movie again right now, and man, I have a couple of buddies that have never seen:

Sicario (written by Taylor Sheridan)
Hell or High Water (written by Taylor Sheridan)
Wind River (written and directed by Taylor Sheridan)

And I want to hear what they think after watching all three movies.

I already want to know what Taylor Sheridan's next movie is going to be.
He's writing Soldado, directed by Stefano Sollima (Gomorrah, Suburra)

So I don't know if Sheridan labels it as such, but I've seen a few reviews and critics label his three movies as the Sheridan Trilogy due to their shared tone and style, reminiscent of John Carpenter's Apocalypse Trilogy (The Thing, Prince Of Darkness, In The Mouth Of Madness) or Wright's Cornetto trilogy

Saw the trailer of this before Shot Caller started at the cinema. Looked very good. Plenty of review quotes that appeared in the trailer too that said the movie was amazing, best thriller this year etc.

Should be in the cinema soon now.

He's writing Soldado, directed by Stefano Sollima (Gomorrah, Suburra)

So I don't know if Sheridan labels it as such, but I've seen a few reviews and critics label his three movies as the Sheridan Trilogy due to their shared tone and style, reminiscent of John Carpenter's Apocalypse Trilogy (The Thing, Prince Of Darkness, In The Mouth Of Madness) or Wright's Cornetto trilogy

I've seen critics talking about this . . . when's the last time a screen writer got to be the focus of a filmic trilogy?

Stanng243

I saw thia last night. My friend said the best way he could describe the movie was boring, and I had to agree. I wouldn't recommend it.

Afrodium

Banned
Saw this last night and I really enjoyed it. Two things kind of bothered me though:

1) Why wasn't Renner's character a Native American? There was no reason he had to be some white guy from off of the reservation, and his major role in the investigation is that he knows the land. With minimal tweaking he could have been a Native American and the film could have easily avoided the white savior trope.

2) Why do both this film and Sicario feature female law enforcement agents who
aren't that great at their job and end the film being completely shaken at the events that have transpired?
I have to admit that I didn't notice this when watching it, but my girlfriend pointed it out as we walked out of the theater and she's completely right. It's an interesting pattern in Sheridan films.

aren't that great at their job and end the film being completely shaken at the events that have transpired?
I have to admit that I didn't notice this when watching it, but my girlfriend pointed it out as we walked out of the theater and she's completely right. It's an interesting pattern in Sheriden films.
I don't think the first part is accurate.
In both Sicario and this, it's not that they're not good at their job. They are good at their jobs (especially Blunt in Sicario) but those skills can't prepare them for this other world they've unknowingly entered. That fish out of water element is accentuated in Sicario by her commitment to doing things the right way, and in Wind River by the lack of outside help and federal apathy

kirblar

Saw this last night and I really enjoyed it. Two things kind of bothered me though:

1) Why wasn't Renner's character a Native American? There was no reason he had to be some white guy from off of the reservation, and his major role in the investigation is that he knows the land. With minimal tweaking he could have been a Native American and the film could have easily avoided the white savior trope.

I have to admit that I didn't notice this when watching it, but my girlfriend pointed it out as we walked out of the theater and she's completely right. It's an interesting pattern in Sheridan films.
There are similarities but ultimately
Olson's character in this film is very competent at her job (they establish this early w/ the first shootout and with her trying to get the coroner to play ball) and ultimately everyone gets blindsided by the sheer magnitude of what's going on. In Sicario Blunt's character is established as very competent, but we learn that she is being strung along and she's been deliberately put in a situation in which her competencies are being undermined. Both films are dealing with the artificiality of rules/norms and the breakdown of those things, but it definitely approaches things differently with the two women.

Afrodium

Banned
In both Sicario and this, it's not that they're not good at their job. They are good at their jobs (especially Blunt in Sicario) but those skills can't prepare them for this other world they've unknowingly entered. That fish out of water element is accentuated in Sicario by her commitment to doing the things the right way, and in Wind River by the lack of outside help and federal apathy

There are similarities but ultimately
Olson's character in this film is very competent at her job (they establish this early w/ the first shootout and with her trying to get the coroner to play ball) and ultimately everyone gets blindsided by the sheer magnitude of what's going on. In Sicario Blunt's character is established as very competent, but we learn that she is being strung along and she's been deliberately put in a situation in which her competencies are being undermined. Both films are dealing with the artificiality of rules/norms and the breakdown of those things, but it definitely approaches things differently with the two women.

I completely agreed that it's a central point of both films is that these characters are competent and they're put in situations that are so extreme and violent that they are not psychologically prepared. However FBI and DEA agents exist who have to deal with similar situations and are able to handle it. I didn't think anything of it in Sicario, and initially didn't think anything of it in Wind River until I realized that the same guy made two films about women in law enforcement who by the end are unable to cope with the realities of their job.

Sean C

There really isn't any reason for his character not to be Native American beyond that the film wouldn't have gotten financing without a white (or, at least, well-known, e.g., Denzel) actor in the lead.

I liked many parts of this movie, and in particular Sheridan does really well with the emotional beats about grief.

However, the climax of this movie is really pretty dumb.
I get that they're going for a neo-Western setting, but even if the bad guys had succeeded in slaughtering the entire contingent, they'd have maybe 12 hours before the whole might of the FBI was turned loose on them, and there'd be nowhere to hide. They come across as really stupid.

I also think the resolution would have worked better if
Renner had stayed with Olsen and said "that dumbass won't get 600 yards on his own", because exactly the same thing would have happened to him either way

Just saw it.
Amazing movie. Not better than Hell or High Water (but that was my favorite from last year).
I expect best movie, best actor and best argument noms for the oscars. Jeremy Renner's best role by a mile.
The last third of the movie is a rush of adrenaline and really well done.

Stanng243

Why or how was it boring? I could understand not liking it, but boring seems odd

That was the adjective my friend used, and I couldn't think of a better one. As the movie progressed, it became quite obvious who the killer was, and I found myself caring more
about who murdered Cory's daughter
then the main plot. When I cared more about whether the
lions
lived or died than the main characters, it's not a good movie.

kirblar

I completely agreed that it's a central point of both films is that these characters are competent and they're put in situations that are so extreme and violent that they are not psychologically prepared. However FBI and DEA agents exist who have to deal with similar situations and are able to handle it. I didn't think anything of it in Sicario, and initially didn't think anything of it in Wind River until I realized that the same guy made two films about women in law enforcement who by the end are unable to cope with the realities of their job.
But that's not the case in Wind River. She holds her own. At the end she breaks down because the guy is reading to her like he would his kid. Not because she couldnt handle it psychologically.

Apparently the movie is structured like it is w Renners character because Sheridan grew up near a tribe like this and so he was writing from a perspective he knew. Also explains the way too verbose monologues he really should have trimmed.

Great movie. Loved it. All the actors were great, especially the victim's mother and father. The scene on the porch between the father and Renner was probably the film's best, with the second being the scene between the two at the end.

I love how both this movie and Sicario built up tension and release it in a cathartic manner (Haven't seen Hell or High Water). Sheridan's a master at this. Like others mentioned, I knew where the finale was headed the moment the officer mentioned the bruises. Tarantino is probably the only other writer I can think of at the moment that does it well.

Considering my mother is Native American, this story hit hard, since growing up I learned all about the residential schools (a recent book by Gord Downie of The Tragically Hip focuses on a boy who died in the cold when trying to escape) and also knew about how reserves were. Even recently, I was hearing about inquiries about native students who committed suicide after moving to Thunder Bay for school and the highway where a lot of native women disappeared. Makes me feel lucky I got to live in the city. I was instantly reminded of those with stuff like the victim's brother and the lack of police attention on the case throughout the film.

Sheridan was a pretty good director. The cinematographer was good as well. There were a few shots of the Wyoming wilderness that could hold a candle to some of Deakins' work on Sicario. Jon Bernthal showing up was unexpected, but nice, and he did a great job in his short scene.

Loved it. Going to check out Hell or High Water when I can.

Opto

Banned
Loved it. Yes, some scenes were laying it on a little thick when fewer words could do, but they were good words, so it wasn't unbearable. The climax was edited frame perfect.

Ernest

Banned
I really liked this - maybe "liked" isn't the right word, but it was really effecting. Maybe I was just in the right head/heart-space for it to properly impact me, but I felt all the emotions it wanted me to. It really wasn't a particularly interesting story, per se, but the WAY the story was told, how well it was written, acted and directed that made it really effective. The real movie is between the lines, where the characters live and breath, that I found most interesting and most effecting. I'd highly recommend it, but I don't think it'll have the same effect on most people as it did on me at the time.

Formless

Really great movie. I think having the two main characters not be native just underscores how disempowered native communities are and is somewhat intentional.

Neece

Really great movie. I think having the two main characters not be native just underscores how disempowered native communities are and is somewhat intentional.

I think the only "intentional" aspect of casting two well-known white people as the leads was trying to get the film greenlit so they could make money.

Artistically, the lead should have been a native.

I think the only "intentional" aspect of casting two well-known white people as the leads was trying to get the film greenlit so they could make money.

Artistically, the lead should have been a native.
Sheridan did say he drew from his own life experience similar to Renner's character in the film, but I also agree on your account

kaskade

In both Sicario and this, it's not that they're not good at their job. They are good at their jobs (especially Blunt in Sicario) but those skills can't prepare them for this other world they've unknowingly entered. That fish out of water element is accentuated in Sicario by her commitment to doing things the right way, and in Wind River by the lack of outside help and federal apathy

I think this was punctuated by the way she took out the first guy. You see her as you said, the fish out of water, then she’s even pepper sprayed before the encounter. She goes into that house and as soon as that guy fires she is a machine, unloaded her whole magazine and the reload after. In the beginning of the movie you feel like she’s lost and in over her head (which she is). Then that moment is a reminder that she is trained and very competent at her job given the circumstances.

Got back from this last night and loved it. It’s insane that things like that can go on today with the way those laws are set up. I ended up doing a bit of reading and I didn’t realize that the reservations basically became a safe haven for disgusting humans (specifically non-indians) to commit these acts with no repercussions.

This article from The Atlantic seems to explain it pretty well.

Saw the movie at the cinema yesterday and thought it was quite damn good.

A slow burner for sure but that's fine. I would say the acting was absolutely fantastic and very very believable. Jeremy Renner did a superb job here, most of the time it felt like this was real life with how genuine the acting felt. You don't see that too often in movies.

Also, is it actually true that whenever a native woman goes missing it simply doesn't get registered at all?

badflame

Banned
His first film as director "Vile" was not much. This movie looks much better. I hope it's as bright as a lot of his scripts.

Great movie. It's a methodical procedural for sure and the core story around the mystery is simple, but it's executed so well. It's not so much concerned about weaving an intricate mystery as it is about exploring the ecosystem of a small town in the wilderness. Amazing atmosphere and acting. A tense and emotional thriller that edges out Sicario for me, which I already loved, but Wind River feels more cohesive and complete in terms of writing.

Don't miss it!

I honestly liked this more than Sicario and Hell or High Water. Sicario was probably better directed and shot, but Wind River had heart and soul that hit me like a ton of bricks by the end. And I absolutely loved the soundtrack.

The entire climax with Renner letting that guy die in the snow with the soundtrack playing, and his final scene with his friend was just incredible. The core theme about the landscape and poverty exposing people for who they really are - the weak and the strong - was really really good.

Also, it has my favorite dialogue of the three films -

”I get so mad sometimes. I feel like I want to fight the whole world. You know what that's like?

I do. But I fought the feeling instead, because I figured the world would win."

Just thinking about this movie again right now, and man, I have a couple of buddies that have never seen:

Sicario (written by Taylor Sheridan)
Hell or High Water (written by Taylor Sheridan)
Wind River (written and directed by Taylor Sheridan)

And I want to hear what they think after watching all three movies.

I already want to know what Taylor Sheridan's next movie is going to be.

Oh wow. I didn't know he was responsible for any of these but I really liked all of them.

GhaleonEB

I ended up seeing it three times - once solo, then with my wife, and a third time solo before it left theaters in my area.

The plot is structured like a proceedural, but there are two twists on the format. The first is to make the actual story of what happened straight as an arrow. There are not giant twists and turns here (which is not to say there aren't revelations). Rather, the plot was kept mechanically simple because Sheridan's interests were elsewhere.

The straight forward story means he can dial in on the details of what happened to a much greater degree. There's a scene early on when Renner's character is showing Olson's a set of tracks, how they run into the distance, and up a mountainside, and what that implies. The film lingers here so we take in the information at the same pace as Olson's. Renner is never condescending - he's forever the patient, meticulous hunter. The film bears as deep on these details because through them we learn both what happened, and why; the harsh reality the people on the reservation face, the conditions that enable tragedy after tragedy to take place. It's as much a study of a place, of a fundamental injustice, as it is a procedural or character piece.

That same level of detail is applied to the character work. There are several simple scenes of dialogue that are so bracing and performances so raw that we feel the weight of what's happened to the point where it's almost unbearable.

It's through details like this that we can infer how Renner's character has been able to deal with (mild plot spoiler)
his daughter's death
in ways that his ex-wife has not. He still carries that grief with him every day, but we can see how he's leaned into it, in the ways he describes to another father going through the same. The dialogue is good, but Renner's performance here is one of the best, and most nuanced, I've ever seen. In a film where everyone brings their A game,his performance anchors the film.

Far and away the best film I've seen this year. In the top 5 I've seen this decade, actually.

Harmen

Saw it, great film indeed. Not much else to add looking at posts in this thread. I hope Renner and Olsen will get more good (non-blockbuster) roles like this in the future, I think they delivered great performances here.

Renner deserves something for this role, what a performance. Thoroughly enjoyed this movie, the pacing was perfect and I never lost focus.

I felt the heaviness of the characters, from start to finish. Great, great movie.

Can Hollywood please PLEASE make more movies like this?

Can Hollywood please PLEASE make more movies like this?
Considering all three of the movies he's worked on have been successes, I think we'll be getting a lot more from Taylor Sheridan

He's writing the Sicario sequel, which is slated for next year, so we won't have to wait long. The director did most of the Gomorrah show (which is fantastic and an unsung gem of a crime show), so Soldado is pretty much assured to be excellent

Its an excellent movie with some very tense sequences and a very fairly racially balanced narrative. It really reminds me of my time in Manitoba. The ending is incredibly effecting too.

wachie

Gah, the digital release is still at the end of this month, which is crowded with other things. I haven't seen it but loved Sicario so I should probably just get the BR rather than doing the digital rental.

Great movie but I was bothered by some things:

1) the FBI agent was just so badly unprofessional. Really stuck out in some scenes. I get shes a rookie, but i just cant get over how she talked in some scenes

2) I dont know what those rangers were expecting. Did they think they could kill the fbi and cover it up? Then the shootout just results in everyone dying which felt silly. The scene was tense but didnt feel like it made sense

1) the FBI agent was just so badly unprofessional. Really stuck out in some scenes

2) I dont know what those rangers were expecting. Did they think they could kill the fbi and cover it up? Then the shootout just results in everyone dying which felt silly. The scene was tense but didnt feel like it made sense

These were my two biggest complaints, and while overall positive on the movie, it's my least favorite of his American trilogy or whatever. I also didn't find the scene that tense, especially compared to some of the tense scenes in Sicario and Hell or High Water.

Maridia

1) the FBI agent was just so badly unprofessional. Really stuck out in some scenes. I get shes a rookie, but i just cant get over how she talked in some scenes

These were my two biggest complaints, and while overall positive on the movie, it's my least favorite of his American trilogy or whatever. I also didn't find the scene that tense, especially compared to some of the tense scenes in Sicario and Hell or High Water.

You guys have been Cinema Sins'd out of your minds.

1) People don't acquit themselves perfectly in their professions. Consider your own professional performance, all the times you've messed up, how you talk on the job (particularly in situations where you just happen to be the closest resource to a crisis). If you were a character in a film, would a viewer like yourself find you unrealistic? Probably.

2) Can we assume that you're on some conspiracy theory shit with regard to most mass shootings? After all, how could those guys have possibly intended to make it out? People are often completely irrational and act entirely against their own interests. (Donald Trump is president)

For a film, what matters is characterization, and, though minimal in this case, the desperation and pack mentality are consistent across both scenes of violence involving the security guys ("rangers").

1) People don't acquit themselves perfectly in their professions. Consider your own professional performance, all the times you've messed up, how you talk on the job (particularly in situations where you just happen to be the closest resource to a crisis). If you were a character in a film, would a viewer like yourself find you unrealistic? Probably.

2) Can we assume that you're on some conspiracy theory shit with regard to most mass shootings? After all, how could those guys have possibly intended to make it out? People are often completely irrational and act entirely against their own interests. (Donald Trump is president)

For a film, what matters is characterization, and, though minimal in this case, the desperation and pack mentality are consistent across both scenes of violence involving the security guys ("rangers").

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKz4NxpFW5I

You motherfucker.....

lol

I'll expand then. It's not just the unprofessionalism, it's that I feel her part, considering it is a lead and comparable, in a small way, to that of the lead of Sicario, is lacking. Yes, the unprofessionalism is strange (as is Olson's acting emphasis of it at times and not others). Part of it is as seemingly written, but I'd argue part of it is in the performance. When connecting the way her part is written and acted to the overall movie, that of it's idea of how landscapes and (lack of) community shape people, particularly men, the idea of the female FBI agent being a naive fish-out-of-water doesn't quite jive with me.

As for the violent, climactic shootout ending of the film, which is what it is, I just don't like the direction of it (from my memory of seeing it in theaters). Again, Sicario had a breathtaking tense sequence of the highway shootout. Heck, I think the better scene is when she's partially blinded by the mace going through the decrepit house. Having the standoff that preceded the shootout feature so many cuts, and done with so many new characters, made it difficult to understand the geography of the scene; in other words, there is a lack of tension because trying to apply a film logic to its setup kind of just makes it confusing. Then, with the actual shootout, it becomes perfunctory. At this point, we know who is being left out of the rangers, so we know who is in the building, and there is no tension. Then, we get a silly moment when the two empty clips into one another at close range in a battle of masculinity of who will survive! And, of course, the white savior hidden in the pure snow to finish it all off with his rifle. Again, compared to his other work, the explosion of violence isn't as justified as that in Sicario and Hell or High Water.

I'll say this. I think Sheridan as a writer is doing really interesting stuff with masculinity, community, and environment and how they shape one another. That's why I think Hell or High Water is his best written work. I think the direction and some outstanding sequences elevate Sicario, and I think the workmanlike (at times) direction of Wind River really hold it back. That, and I hate saying this because I think the internet and this board likes to pick on actresses more than men, Elizabeth Olson is woefully miscast.

The straight forward story means he can dial in on the details of what happened to a much greater degree. There's a scene early on when Renner's character is showing Olson's a set of tracks, how they run into the distance, and up a mountainside, and what that implies. The film lingers here so we take in the information at the same pace as Olson's. Renner is never condescending - he's forever the patient, meticulous hunter. The film bears as deep on these details because through them we learn both what happened, and why; the harsh reality the people on the reservation face, the conditions that enable tragedy after tragedy to take place. It's as much a study of a place, of a fundamental injustice, as it is a procedural or character piece.
This is an example of the kind of stuff I really liked in it. And, again, I liked the movie. I just had a couple of problems with it.

DirtRiver

I'll just say Wind RIver is so far my favorite movie of the year and it is very unlikely that will change. Just an amazing film all around, me and my girlfriend went out of the movie theater completely entranced. Can't wait to rewatch it when it comes out.

Also, the soundtrack is amazing, and just adds more poignancy to the all movie. Fuck, what I would give to watch it one more time for the first time.

I think its how she does it. Just doesnt sit right that in such a moody film, this woman comes from the fbi and the first thing she says is like “man im freezing my ass off!””

Theres some other things she said that bothered me. No problem with her being a rookie but she says stuff that came off as jarring.

Compare that to maybe the fbi agent in a show like mr robot, who just feels really typically what you expect from an fbi agent on the job. But here, she was written in such a typical hollywood cookie cutter style, as if it was some cop show on cable

As for pack mentality, I just find it hard to believe that a bunch of evil as hell men would try to kill their entire police force and expect to not end up dead. I get murdering a dude in a drunken fit and rape, but to be so ballsy as to kill the entire police force in a standoff just seemed... forced

Might have just worked better with fewer men

I think its how she does it. Just doesnt sit right that in such a moody film, this woman comes from the fbi and the first thing she says is like “man im freezing my ass off!””

Theres some other things she said that bothered me. No problem with her being a rookie but she says stuff that came off as jarring.

Compare that to maybe the fbi agent in a show like mr robot, who just feels really typically what you expect from an fbi agent on the job. But here, she was written in such a typical hollywood cookie cutter style, as if it was some cop show on cable

As for pack mentality, I just find it hard to believe that a bunch of evil as hell men would try to kill their entire police force and expect to not end up dead. I get murdering a dude in a drunken fit and rape, but to be so ballsy as to kill the entire police force in a standoff just seemed... forced

Might have just worked better with fewer men

The point wasn't that she is incompetent. It's that the FBI doesn't take murder seriously if it happens in that location to a Native American woman, so they sent a single rookie who was accustomed to the opposite climate.

Top Bottom