• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Someone built a fully functional 1 KB Hard Drive... in Minecraft

shandy706

Minecraft builders have already built implimentations of half-adders, adders, and ALUs. They've already built turing-complete machines in Minecraft.

This has already been accomplished, long ago, save the "better graphics" part.

Not impressed until graphics are better. :p

jk...stuff is insane

link1201

YW94LtO.gif

Orayn

How do you even come up with this shit??

Amazing!!

It was inevitable as soon as Notch added Redstone to the game, really. Once you have switches, buttons, pistons, and virtual "wires," that all operate in a consistent way, it becomes possible to simulate the mechanical versions of many electronic parts.

Lol at the people here who say.

"It is not that impressive"

And then never create something that is equally as impressive.

Some people just always like to shit on other people's creativity.

I certainly give 'em credit for it. Please don't take my original post the wrong way. The amount of work is massive (unless he/she used a program to duplicate and place blocks). I just feel there are people who have made far more interesting and complex creations and have received little to no credit.

Krejlooc

Banned
Damn, I can't imagine how long that took to make. Respect.

Likely not as long as it seems:

When I got way into this stuff in Minecraft, I was using a mod that simplified each logic gate into a single block. At that point, it's basically like designing in a 3D PSpice (although a lot buggier).

This is precisely the way I'd expect this stuff to go. It's the logical progression of computing - design something, compress and condense it, then turn it into just another entry into a palette to design from. In terms of how long the entire thing took to engineer, from start to finish, factoring in each technology individually, it probably took years and years to develop. But from when this guy sat down and started building it? Likely a lot of the grunt work had been done already, and he was just implementing the design.

SuperÑ

OptionN, ShiftN
Everyone here is like 'Whoa! That's damn impressive' and here i am looking at that image and thinking 'That's not even 4K impressive'.

Orayn

I wonder if it's possible to speed up the reading/writing within Minecrafts limitations.

There are plugins that simulate electricity more directly, but most of this stuff is going to be constrained by Minecraft's built-in limitations like the "speed" of Redstone current and how often the "chunks" of the game-world are updated.

DMiz

This is crazy impressive and just highlights how dramatically the game changed when they started implementing stuff like switches and the like.

Krejlooc

Banned
How exactly are values displayed? Can Minecraft display text strings now?

even if it couldn't (I'm not sure if it can or not) you can build a text parser and output to a grid of blocks. The principle behind raster displays isn't very complex, it's just a grid of binary states.

Orayn

How exactly are values displayed? Can Minecraft display text strings now?

The only way this hard drive displays data is a series of labeled lights.

You could theoretically arrange those lamps in a grid to make a monochrome dot-matrix display that could show text or graphics. People have also made color displays that use pistons to push colored blocks into desired locations.

Krejlooc

Banned
The only I/O available for this is a series of labeled "lamps."

You could theoretically arrange those lamps in a grid to make a monochrome dot-matrix display that could show text or graphics. People have also made color displays that use pistons to push colored blocks into desired locations.

A good practical, real-world example of people doing this is when they do things like play tetris on a building using window lights as "pixels"

Talking about monochromatic displays, that is. How do they deal with intensity values of the subchannels in your RGB example? A cache of colored blocks at different values that get pushed when needed?

Orayn

A good practical, real-world example of people doing this is when they do things like play tetris on a building using window lights as "pixels"

Talking about monochromatic displays, that is. How do they deal with intensity values of the subchannels in your RGB example? A cache of colored blocks at different values that get pushed when needed?

The link I posted is a pretty old video that just uses four pre-set colors. I can imagine a newer version would be able to pull off at least 3-bit RGB using various blocks that have been added to the game.

I guess an image could be stored as a series of 3-bit words that describe the color for each location on a grid, and you'd have a parsing machine that would read the image file and send the appropriate signals to the display.

Krejlooc

Banned
The link I posted is a pretty old video that just uses four pre-set colors. I can imagine a newer version would be able to pull off at least 3-bit RGB using various blocks that have been added to the game.

I guess an image could be stored as a series of 3-bit words that describe the color for each location on a grid.

hmm

so like imagine each pixel is made up of 4 subpixels, like a window

2-bit subpixel index (R-G-B-K), with 2-bit intensity (values 0-3), 4-bit position

voila! A 1 byte big pixel displaying to a 16x16 matrix with a palette of 32 different colors :p

EDIT: Wait, durr, this wouldn't work as you'd only be selecting a single subpixel channel. Hrm...

Orayn

hmm

so like imagine each pixel is made up of 4 subpixels, like a window

2-bit subpixel index (R-G-B-K), with 2-bit intensity (values 0-3), 4-bit position

voila! A 1 byte big pixel displaying to a 16x16 matrix with a palette of 32 different colors :p

EDIT: Wait, durr, this wouldn't work as you'd only be selecting a single subpixel channel. Hrm...

I wouldn't try to give it actual sub-pixels, since they wouldn't look very good in-game and the selection of blocks is wide enough that you could easily choose 12 or 16 block types and assign RGB values to them.

These are the colors available if you only used dyed wool/glass/clay blocks:

0SZF9up.png

I have absolutely no clue what all this means
As the first comment in the link suggests--
We will inevitably create entire computers in Minecraft and play Minecraft on them. The universe will then explode.

Though, actually, when shown in pictures it doesn't seem as complex as I first assumed (but still mind-blowingly compelx of course). They use a ton of pistons to roll the sector pieces around the loop to get the necessary ones to the read/write head. It's incredibly ingenious. With the initial template finalized it should be possible to make larger ones, though they'd get exponentially larger as you had to add length and depth to the thing.

Now combine this with the 3D printer someone made and you've got another level of awesome.

Krejlooc

Banned
I wouldn't try to give it actual sub-pixels, since they wouldn't look very good in-game and the selection of blocks is wide enough that you could easily choose 12 or 16 block types and assign RGB values to them.

These are the colors available if you only used dyed wool/glass/clay blocks:

0SZF9up.png

how about

RGBXXYYV

where RGB are flags to allow for 8 different colors in a 16x16 matrix with 1-bit intensity (either light or dark) giving you 16 total colors with 1 byte :p

Orayn

how about

RGBXXYYV

where RGB are flags to allow for 8 different colors in a 16x16 matrix with 1-bit intensity (either light or dark) giving you 16 total colors with 1 byte :p

So your eight light+dark color pairs would be white/light grey, black/dark grey, pink/red, violet/purple, cyan/navy, yellow/orange, grass/tree green, and... A "wild card" for teal and brown since those don't have readily apparent light and dark versions available.

So yeah, that'd work just fine apart from some possible wonkiness from being set up like Atari 2600 colors.

Krejlooc

Banned
So your eight light+dark color pairs would be white/light grey, black/dark grey, pink/red, violet/purple, cyan/navy, yellow/orange, grass/tree green, and... A "wild card" for teal and brown since those don't have light and dark versions in-game?

Sounds good, let's get a 4x4 dot matrix display up and running lol

Top Bottom