• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mighty No.9 : First Screens (from Alpha Build]

Azure J

Leave it to GAF to whine about incredibly unfinished early alpha graphics. They're literally just testing the lighting, engine, and momentum.

Here's the actual quote from the forum:

I hope universal dashes and walljumps are in seeing this.

Megaman X for life.

If I was seeing alpha cel-shading, comments about "SHURRUP ITS ALPHA" would be bang on. I'm looking at models made for traditionally lit environments though and theres no magic 'now its cel-shaded!' switch in-game that wouldn't be gigantically resource intensive.

As for the "cost" of 2D sprites:

Mighty No. 9: $3,845,170
Shantae: Half-Genie Hero: $776,084

This is why Kickstarters without a representative prototype just feel like bullhonkey. You go from this:
a4d2477d01ae7a44bffec74b42906c0d_large.jpg

to the above. Of course people are gonna feel let down when all those 2D art visuals were what were heavily hitting the Mega Man nostalgia gland.

I also remember this song and dance from the Unreal Engine prototype they showed a while back, with the same sort of "wait and see" merry go round.

I just want to point out that Shantae was well in development before their kickstarter even started. They also had the engine in place too, as it seems to be the same one used in the Ducktails remake. So Shantae's Kickstarter does not cover the cost of the entire development cycle.

Mighty No. 9 is being completely built from the ground up from the funding they were given, plus the cost of the Unreal license. Though with the early target renders they were showing, I never expected this game to look hand drawn.

But I do agree with you on your statement that you should never know what to expect from a pitch for game that is still in its conceptual stage.

mclem

I wish companies wouldn't do this 3D stuff just for the sake of mainstream acceptance.

It's not "just for the sake of mainstream acceptance". 3D can work out much cheaper; it's much less of a workload to animate by moving a skeleton's arm than it is to do so by producing individual distinct drawings for every frame of the movement you want to animate.

Also, 3D works better than 2D in variable-framerate environments; with 2D, you *have* to work around 'one drawing per frame', while 3D can handle the tweening sanely if you've got a framerate different from the one you had in mind during development.

Vamphuntr

I backed this and I think it looks super ugly. I'm hoping it gets better as it gets closer to release. We still have more than a year to go so I'm confident it will improve.

Mlatador

Banned
I actually like them so far. I will have to see it in motion and with more going on, though, to really make my final judgment. I did also like the 2D screens.

Syf

Banned
Not even sure why this was posted. The screens are obviously unfinished and compressed. What are we supposed to draw from them?

Sciz

Not even sure why this was posted. The screens are obviously unfinished and compressed. What are we supposed to draw from them?

That they're working on an actual product and want to keep the backers up to date on what they've been doing. Kickstarters that go dark tend to breed FUD.

mclem

"Hey, the game's being developed, and they've got a basic engine up and running! Looks like they're experimenting with a few interesting new moves. I think the camera could stand to be pulled back a little, but they might be looking into that."

That's approximately my train of thought. Well, that and a primal urge of I WANT TO PLAY THIS, but that's less nuanced...

Village

Seriously. :lol

These guys made the fucking Mega Man Zero series and anyone's worried about how the game will look/play from Day -730 footage? This stuff will get sorted out down the line. I'm just happy to see more experimentation with the game engine.

And they did ZX too?

My trust in their work increases exponentially sadly this seems like it will be less that and more traditional megaman. But maybe after several games and generational changes we can GET Might Number Zed

Ew.

It's alpha, but that doesn't make it any less ugly.

Yeah.

I am still curious why they chose to do things in 3d. Surely it is easier obviously... but the cohesive look of a 3d game is hardér to do than a 3d game. Things like aliasing, object clipping, and z fighting, among countless other imperfections in 3d make it hard to look good in side scrollers IMO,

Lucent

I've backed this and am definitely looking forward to it.

Also gotta note: This game is targeting like April 2015, so i don't see why people are flipping out about these alpha screens. It's not like they were like "remember how good that video we made in a week looked? Well we decided that was too much work and so we decided to make it look worse now."

These shots can be seen as "rough drafts" or "sketches". You don't spend all your time perfecting those. You're just looking for the idea that works. After you find something you like out of all the testing, you clean it up and polish it.

Enker

The key takeaways from this (only the second version of the alpha mind you) is: hanging off ledges, dash is back, and also most likely the charge shot. Also, they are beginning to test Beck’s ability to absorb the Xel.

As already mentioned by multiple people, at this stage, only those core elements matter. Graphics get done later.

Megaman XZ was the LAST best megaman game I have played.

I hope these guys keep the fast speed and interesting weapons/designs of ZX and Advent. Those were great

lol bloom. I really hope I didn't waste my money...

Yup, I am sure you kickstarted based on how good the game will look.

Anyway, love the character design myself. It looks like an Alpha game, very far from being polished and finished. That is how they all look in the beginning.

Holy shit, I can't believe people are actually bitching about the visuals of an ALPHA.
Well If you paid for something it's you right to do so, no? Of course it's an alpha build but still...
I knew it would end up like this after the first prototype and so far it doesn't get better.

I could always change my mind if the visuals change but I totally expect a 2.5D game which looks similar to this.

thats why they should never show pictures there is some people that do not understand at all and will refuse too understand that it's alpha and it's going to look like infused garabge mixed with trash but will look glorious later, hopefully.

RooMHM

Holy shit, I can't believe people are actually bitching about the visuals of an ALPHA.
Well I don t see the issue. It should indicate the art style, the size of the assets, etc. Also it doesn t really look like an alpha to me, it s quite detailed.
Even if people might be wrong about complaining they ll be pretty happing to be mistaken if graphics improve much. And so they are right to express their opinion.

Vamphuntr

thats why they should never show pictures there is some people that do not understand at all and will refuse too understand that it's alpha and it's going to look like infused garabge mixed with trash but will look glorious later, hopefully.

They have to show screens to backers. They have too because backers are funding the game. Moreover, they also offered backers to have a role in the creation of the game via their forums and polls so I would say I'm sure they would like the feedback of the people that made the game possible early on and not when it's too late.

I'm not sure why everyone is trying to act superior by saying it's an Alpha. So what? People can still say whether they like the style or not. Some are already disappointed it's not 2D cel shading . I doubt this will change later on, Alpha or not.

Griss

If I had to bet, I'd bet that the final game ends up looking similar to this, placeholders or not. It's still going to be in 3D, it's still going to use Unreal...

It's not what I'd want a spiritual successor to Mega Man to look like. I think it's fair to take that from these screens, even if every single asset in them ends up being replaced. The core technical stuff isn't gonna change. Glad I didn't back it, and I was tempted based on that concept art, which was charming. Going to be hard to get that level of charm or personality out of a 3D sidescroller.

Same problem I had when NSMB released and it was '3D'. Mario looked like crap and his animations were weird when paired with classic Mario momentum. They improved it in subsequent games, but I still don't like the look of it.

OmegaDL50

If I had to bet, I'd bet that the final game ends up looking similar to this, placeholders or not. It's still going to be in 3D, it's still going to use Unreal...

It's not what I'd want a spiritual successor to Mega Man to look like. I think it's fair to take that from these screens, even if every single asset in them ends up being replaced. The core technical stuff isn't gonna change. Glad I didn't back it, and I was tempted based on that concept art, which was charming. Going to be hard to get that level of charm or personality out of a 3D sidescroller.

Same problem I had when NSMB released and it was '3D'. Mario looked like crap and his animations were weird when paired with classic Mario momentum. They improved it in subsequent games, but I still don't like the look of it.

You do realize that Guilty Gear Xrd also uses Unreal using 3D character models and this has not affected the game in terms of visuals or gameplay, right?

Do you think Xrd also loses it's personality as a 2D fighting game because it's also on the Unreal Engine and uses 3D character models too? (check out gameplay videos of it)

I'd say it's jumping the gun to write off Mn9 because it's using 3D character models and the Unreal Engine, especially on an very early alpha build of the game.

Some of the people in this topic have unrealistic expectations from the game if they expect something representative of a finished product this early, especially considering it's alpha build.

I think Inti Creates (the very same people that developed Megaman 9, 10, the entire MM Zero series, and the Megaman ZX titles) know what they are doing and deserve a bit more credit considering the people involved and their experience in making Megaman titles.

Griss

You do realize that Guilty Gear Xrd also uses Unreal using 3D character models and this has not affected the game in terms of visuals or gameplay, right?

Do you think Xrd also loses it's personality as a 2D fighting game because it's also on the Unreal Engine and uses 3D character models too? (check out gameplay videos of it)

I'd say it's jumping the gun to write off Mn9 because it's using 3D character models and the Unreal Engine, especially on an very early alpha build of the game.

Some of the people in this topic have unrealistic expectations from the game if they expect something representative of a finished product this early, especially considering it's alpha build.

I think Inti Creates (the very same people that developed Megaman 9, 10, the entire MM Zero series, and the Megaman ZX titles) know what they are doing and deserve a bit more credit considering the people involved and their experience in making Megaman titles.

I was not aware of Guilty Gear Xrd and wasn't aware that the Unreal Engine could be used in that way at all. I saw it mentioned earlier but didn't look it up. I just watched videos of it, and yeah, that's a very convincing counter-argument. If they went in that direction I'd be delighted. Still don't think they will though, but I agree with your assertion that they've earned the benefit of the doubt through past games.

...why did you think that?

Because they sold the kickstarter with this.

a1d0e45fc7a68f4c962f2ebcd7a2210c_large.jpg

Which to ME if you're talking about making a spiritual successor to the Mega Man side scrolling games and show me that, I NATURALLY think that's what the game is going to look like.

joe2187

Banned
Because they sold the kickstarter with this.

Which to ME if you're talking about making a spiritual successor to the Mega Man side scrolling games and show me that, I NATURALLY think that's what the game is going to look like.

Unless you actually read the damn kickstarter page

fsVsR0f.png

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Using the term concept art doesn't mean it's automatically going to go from sprites to 3D models.

The FAQ specifically stated they would be using 3D models.

What kind of graphic fidelity are you aiming for?

We realize it can be hard to envision the project, since everything we’ve shown so far are mockups made for design documents. We do want to be clear this is no retro de-make; the fidelity we based our budget on to set our initial Kickstarter goal is for a game in-line with AAA current-gen console (PS3, Xbox 360, Wii U) 2D download titles. We can also safely say the plan is to use what is often called the “2.5D” setup: 3D models for characters and most objects, with the gameplay in 2D.

Again, people in this thread backed before reading and are now complaining.

Card Boy

Banned
The FAQ specifically stated they would be using 3D models.

Again, people in this thread backed before reading and are now complaining.

So its down the bottom and you have to click on it to get this information. Sorry but they made this out to look like (meaning 2D sprites) this despite the concept art warning.

The word 3D isn't mentioned (outside a 3DS mention) in this over 5000 word kickstarter page unless you click that little FAQ section. Its like those shitty terms and conditions that has tiny ass writting that everybody always misses. No i didn't back this so i'm not a backer that got burned.

So its down the bottom and you have to click on it to get this information. Sorry but they made this out to look like (meaning 2D sprites) this despite the concept art warning.

The word 3D isn't mentioned (outside a 3DS mention) in this over 5000 word kickstarter page unless you click that little FAQ section. Its like those shitty terms and conditions that has tiny ass writting that everybody always misses. No i didn't back this so i'm not a backer that got burned.

Pretty much this. It was almost a bait and switch. One shouldn't have had to dig through the FAQ to know it was a 3D title and not a sprite one.

I didn't back it either so I didn't get burned, but trying to play this off like it was painfully obvious it was going to be 3D is bullshit.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus

Well, you're not a backer. So your expectations are largely irrelevant.

And yes, you're supposed to read the entire campaign before backing. There's no excuse. The campaign lasts 30 days and you can revoke your pledge VERY easily. At no point during the campaign did I ever have any delusions about what the game might be. One of the first questions in my mind was: will this be 2D or 3D? I looked for the answer and it was right there, easily accessible.

If you backed it without reading, that's simply irresponsible. For those of you who did, you've now learned a lesson for the next time.

Pretty much this. It was almost a bait and switch. One shouldn't have had to dig through the FAQ to know it was a 3D title and not a sprite one.

I didn't back it either so I didn't get burned, but trying to play this off like it was painfully obvious it was going to be 3D is bullshit.

You didn't back it either? Then yeah, it doesn't really matter if you think there was a bait-n-switch. It only matters if people who pledged money believe so, and have legitimate reasons for believing so.

I would hope that most people who backed it were smart enough to actually read.

One shouldn't put money into a product (especially a product that isn't released) without doing some research.

Top Bottom