• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Day 1 patch makes COD: Ghosts SP 1080p on PS4, is 720p without patch

Okay, that's pretty funny. Explains why people couldn't see the difference between it and the Xbone version, and possibly implies that people who could see a difference are lunatics.

adixon

https://twitter.com/ScottLowe/status/400749849533874177

Scott Lowe received confirmation that in fact the copy he played was 1080p on PS4. The patch is for retail copies only

So... why did they capture 720p?

This is my one remaining question in this circus. Why were the captures across multiple sites seemingly 720p on the ps4 version? The resolution actually being 720p would neatly explain it.

Are they just trying to cover each other's asses now? Or was there something wonky with the captures? Or were some of them 1080p after all?

juanjux

Neo Member
That thing about reviewers getting the 1080p version is pure bullshit. Facts:

- All the PS4 videos from the reviews are 720p
- Digital Foundry (Eurogamer) noticed that their version was 720p and contacted IW which said they would release a patch. Giant Bomb noticed it too and postponed their review.

Do you really think that Digital Foundry (no less) and Giant Bomb got the 720p version for review and the other click whoring outlets got the 1080p? Bullshit and lies.

If this was real journalism, heads should be ro

Daingurse

ibxZDjsrRfL55E.png

Bwahahahahaha! Great stuff EmCee.

mjc

I can see the point for Activision. It means :

- most PS4 reviews were made at 720p (single player) so reviewers can say both versions look the same or even Xbox One looks better (although it will end displaying half the pixels after the patch)

- every demo in every shop will be before day one patch, so people can buy Xbox One version too

- MS is happy.

- Sony doesn't care that much.

- Sony users are fine too since they get to play 1080p version after day 1 patch.

Look, everybody is happy. Still shitty, but hey...

3b9a637563ec830af53153be6f31a904.gif

Donos

liquidtmd

Banned
Two different journalists have already confirmed PS4 single player was 1080p at the review event.

At this point its hilarious - I laugh at the tin foil hat brigade as much as anyone, but seriously I don't think any journo is going to admit they were duped so what are they supposed to say?

eival

i usually havent cared much about the Digital Foundry fodder for these next gen games, but now im interested in finding out if this is just a software gimmick to trick your tv into thinking its 1080p, unlike the PS3 which would show up as 720p as soon as you launched a game.

-PXG-

I'll say it again...

CLUSTER

FUCK

This is rich. I'm loving this drama. I'm actually gonna pop some popcorn. Not even kidding.

Nosgoroth

This whole thing is hilarious.

So.

* IW shipped a game with the wrong resolution rendering settings, then failed to say anything until the reviews hit.
* Polygon is claiming that they reviewed code running at 1080p SP (although it doesn't matter because they used MP to compare and then closed their eyes during SP or something) and claim there is no difference where there should be.
* Polygon (Gies?) is claiming that XBone has extra lighting effects, despite IW saying that there aren't any.
* IGN is claiming that they reviewed code running at 1080p, but their video comparisons show 720p rendering as analyzed by GAF.

Please don't stop.

Phades

Exactly.

This reeks of crap.

Start with this thread.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=714737

Posts like below highlight what people are trying to reference.

This could explain why Killzone SF has the same problem.
Following this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CH5wzsYogYk

AeONC0O.png

It seems to be at 720p.

These are two screeshot at the same zoom of a native BF3 1080p (left) and KZ (with artifact on the right).

tp0Ji6S.png

I dunno because the multyplayer of COD ghost on PS4 is at 1080p native...

There was another thread quoting the eurogamer publication as well that I can't find at the moment going over the same thing. I don't get the disbelief being shown at all.

Rapstah

i usually havent cared much about the Digital Foundry fodder for these next gen games, but now im interested in finding out if this is just a software gimmick to trick your tv into thinking its 1080p, unlike the PS3 which would show up as 720p as soon as you launched a game.

image.php
image.php
image.php

BibiMaghoo

So answer me this:

If all these people are saying they reviewed the actual 1080p version, why are the videos on their sites in 720p?

Are they suggesting that the video footage they claim to have captured was from the retail version, and NOT the copy they reviewed?

Gestault

It was native 1080p in multiplayer which should have been at least half of what they played at the event.

Why do people like you keep ignoring that fact?

and "5"
some posters manage to miss every single post with proof that at least one ustifiably mocked outlet judged PS4 graphics based on the MP, which does run a native 1080p.

I can't speak for others, but the primary part of my criticism for this situation is that people without reference material were telling people who had first-hand experience with the games that what they saw was wrong. Emphasis being that there was no direct information for the basis of the criticism, and the outside assumptions about the situation ended up being incorrect. Official statements informing those criticisms ended up being incorrect.

With respect, unless these same detractors had access to the games and a time machine to know the coming events, right or wrong, they were off-base if they made the sort of categorical criticism I'm calling out. Plenty of these reviewers demonstrated a lack of technical expertise, but they were also being repeatedly given incorrect information about the products. They were being admonished by people who didn't have the means to know one-way-or-the-other and who relied on incorrect info as part of their criticism.

Pointing at one review it doesn't apply to doesn't change the pattern of behavior, and (with regard to Noir) literally making a list of those who dare make that observation sounds like the behavior of a crazy person. Mind you: Some writers on the media side still sound more clownish than others after this whole series of events.

tbm24

- Digital Foundry (Eurogamer) noticed that their version was 720p and contacted IW which said they would release a patch. Giant Bomb noticed it too and postponed their review.

Do you really think that Digital Foundry (no less) and Giant Bomb got the 720p version for review and the other click whoring outlets got the 1080p? Bullshit and lies.

Just want to point out, real journalist have made worse blunders for situations that actually matter on a world level. If people want to keep calling any and everyone who reviews games journalists, then this isn't that out of the ordinary.

So answer me this:

If all these people are saying they reviewed the actual 1080p version, why are the videos on their sites in 720p?

Are they suggesting that the video footage they claim to have captured was from the retail version, and NOT the copy they reviewed?
Someone is lying and it ain't GAF

NBtoaster

So answer me this:

Activision just helping the press save face :p

Metfanant

There is no software gimick...its called a scaler...

After the day one patch is applied to the PS4 version all will be as intended...1080p on PS4...and 720p on Xbone..the Xbone will however report to your TV as "1920x1080" because it will be scaled

EvB

Just want to point out, real journalist have made worse blunders for situations that actually matter on a world level. If people want to keep calling any and everyone who reviews games journalists, then this isn't that out of the ordinary.

Activision , Infinity Ward and Sony are the ones who should be criticised for not publicising this until they were caught red handed.

Steroyd

This is basically what it boils down to, early reviewers were reviewing a version of the game that wasn't going to be available in that form to the public, which creates a horrible discrepancy between what their review is and what people will play in their homes.

Props to Eurogamer for asking some questions and getting answers from the horses mouth like journalists should, jeez.

For people confused apparently:

* Reviewers reviewed the version that is 1080p PS4 and 720p Xbox one.
- Some could tell the difference.
- Some could not.
- One could see better lighting on the xbox one version, but didn't think to mention it in the review.

* At the same event, there was a different version which was used for capture. This was 720p.
- Nobody noticed this.

* The retail PS4 version is 720p for single player but will be patched at launch.
- Nobody has reviewed this version so it may or may not have framerate issues or better lighting. The dog is still assumed.

* The PS4 version at 1080p apparently has framerate issues.
- This may be fixed by launch in a patch to the version which is 720p and probably doesn't have framerate issues.
- This is apparently only in multiplayer which is already 1080p. But who knows at this point.

Mononoke

Banned
This whole thing is hilarious.

So.

* IW shipped a game with the wrong resolution rendering settings, then failed to say anything until the reviews hit.
* Polygon is claiming that they reviewed code running at 1080p SP (although it doesn't matter because they used MP to compare and then closed their eyes during SP or something) and claim there is no difference where there should be.
* Polygon (Gies?) is claiming that XBone has extra lighting effects, despite IW saying that there aren't any.
* IGN is claiming that they reviewed code running at 1080p, but their video comparisons show 720p rendering as analyzed by GAF.

Please don't stop.

Yeah but they are professionals.

HoodWinked

I saw it, and the PS4 ver looked like it had more detailed textures. Could it be that though it is outputting at 720p it's loading higher detail assets ?

its unlikley that the assets are different between the two, it may be difference in filtering but in the youtube screenshot that you replied to the xbox1 does have more sharper final composite. so not sure what you're seeing.

Metfanant

That is in response to claims that reviewers have specially made discs that are more up-to date than the already mass produced retail versions.

I dont think thats the case at all...simply that (according to Activision) the build played at the review event did not include this "bug"

Top Bottom