• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The new iPad |OT|

cackhyena

No New Girl on those apps though, man. And yeah, I'm not going with Hulu plus. This is mostly for the wife anyway. No flash browsers worthy, huh? iSwifter is kinda weird.

I have an old backup from my iPad 1 on my PC, including my annotations for books. I no longer have that iPad but will get a new one soon. Anyway I can transfer that content to my new iPad via a Mac? I realise that even if I got it on my iPad, any attempt to sync with my Mac will remove its library

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
You could restore your future iPad from that backup instead of setting it up as a new device when you connect it to your PC the first time.

japtor

Okay. What about using it on my Mac after that?
In iTunes first make sure to uncheck auto syncing somewhere in preferences. After that connect the iPad and read dialogs carefully to make sure it doesn't try anything (I completely forget what it pops up though). Right click on the iPad in the left pane and do transfer purchases then backup, I think it'll ask to authorize the computer with the iTunes account if it hasn't been already.

...after that I'm not entirely sure. I think in the past I've basically crossed my fingers when finally doing a sync to the new machine.

What would probably make things easier is if you transfer the iTunes and backup folders to the Mac, but I forget how much it helps.

anyone planning on getting this?

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/552506690/brydge-ipad-do-more

looks like a pretty nice high quality product, but I dont know if its worth the price or not. The Logitech Ultra thin cover/keyboard looks pretty nice as well and it is cheaper, but I do like how the brydge adds an external speaker

Brydge
1.jpg

Logitech Ultrathin
20120418-14414813-logitech-ipad-keyboard-IMG_3118_gallery_post.JPG

20120418-14414813-logitech-ipad-keyboard-IMG_3107_gallery_post.JPG

RedAssedApe

Banned

looks like a pretty nice high quality product, but I dont know if its worth the price or not. The Logitech Ultra thin cover/keyboard looks pretty nice as well and it is cheaper, but I do like how the brydge adds an external speaker

Logitch is nice but this sounds like a deal breaker to me:

So if it's elegant, decently comfortable and rather long-lasting, are there any downsides to the device? Yes, an important one: it feels like such a part of the iPad that you might carry it as if the keyboard is permanently attached, and Logitech's magnets aren't quite strong enough for that. With a slight twist or push of a careless thumb, we were easily able to dislodge the keyboard from the case when carrying it around in one hand.

Logitch is nice but this sounds like a deal breaker to me:

hmm that is something to consider, but for me personally i dunno if it would ever be an issue. from the look of it the brydge stays on pretty damn secure

kinda wish i wouldnt have bought the official apple smart cover now because if I get one of those 2 keyboard covers I doubt i will ever use the apple smart cover again

paparazzo

Kickstarters are done in the interest of helping a product make it to retail, right? I like the Brydge but I don't want to spend $170 for the base model or $210 for the one with speakers.

Fumoffu

Neo Member
Quick question guys regarding iCloud

When you upload to save to the cloud, how do you download that data on a new device? Does it just do it automatically when I turn on iCloud?

LCfiner

Quick question guys regarding iCloud

When you upload to save to the cloud, how do you download that data on a new device? Does it just do it automatically when I turn on iCloud?

do you mean a system backup?

when you get the new device, it asks you if you wan to restore from an icloud backup during that very first setup process. you select the backup file from the list it presents to you (if you have multiple iOS devices backing up to the cloud) and then just wait for it to finish working.

easy as can be.

do you mean a system backup?

when you get the new device, it asks you if you wan to restore from an icloud backup during that very first setup process. you select the backup file from the list it presents to you (if you have multiple iOS devices backing up to the cloud) and then just wait for it to finish working.

easy as can be.

Ok cool thanks

It looks great, but I try to avoid Kickstarer projects for accessories like this. Their target ship date of October is so far away, and that's if everything manages to go smoothly. Best case scenario I'd have 3 or 4 months with it before iPad 4, and $210 is a lot to bet that their won't be any significant changes to iPad 4 that will render the case unusable.

I hope Logitech ships their keyboard soon. Have they given any indication on when it would be shipping?

JaseMath

Buying my first iPad tomorrow. Quick question: How easy is typing if you're laying about on the couch, browsing...say...NeoGAF? Am I going to want a Logitech Ultrathin KB?

Buying my first iPad tomorrow. Quick question: I don't plan on putting movies or music on it, but I do plan I throwing some photos and games on it. How fast does the memory fill up? 16GB or 32GB?

32!

I have zero movies or music but a bunch of games and a small fraction of my photos (6 or 7gb worth) and I really regret getting 32GB instead of 64GB. I really hope the next iPad has a 128GB option.

Granted I buy (and never play) a ridiculous amount of games, but going forward games are only getting bigger. You might never run into a problem with 16gb, it's only kind of a pain to shuffle apps and content around, but if you're going in with the intention to buy games, I think you're in for a much better experience with 32gb.

And if you have a Steam account with more than 20 games you've never played, you should probably get a 64gb iPad.

Edit: You totally changed up that question on me! We'll I'm leaving my answer anyways in the hopes it will prevent more purchases of 16gb iPads!

Buying my first iPad tomorrow. Quick question: How easy is typing if you're laying about on the couch, browsing...say...NeoGAF? Am I going to want a Logitech Ultrathin KB?

Laying on the couch and typing is super easy. I wouldn't want to write a novel like that (but I probably could), but chatting/emails/posts to GAF are no sweat. If you're sitting at a desk and typing a lot, you might want to consider a bluetooth keyboard, but I'd figure out your usage patterns first before spending any money on keyboards.

So I don't see my books on the iPad now?

What I did was simple. I restored the original data onto my new iPad and then synced my iBooks data via iCloud. I reset the iPad and turn on iCloud. I select Manage device and it shows me the MB of data relating to the iBook iCloud save. But I see no books on my shelf in the app?

Not seeing any of my Safari bookmarks either. What do I need to do to sync?

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
So I don't see my books on the iPad now?

What I did was simple. I restored the original data onto my new iPad and then synced my iBooks data via iCloud. I reset the iPad and turn on iCloud. I select Manage device and it shows me the MB of data relating to the iBook iCloud save. But I see no books on my shelf in the app?

Not seeing any of my Safari bookmarks either. What do I need to do to sync?

Restoring the original data - I'm assuming you mean from the PC iTunes backup you mentioned before? If you did that then your books and their info settings etc. should've synced across to your iPad, warranted that that backup had the book info inside it and that you had the books in your iTunes library for it to sync them over during the backup restoration process.

Or am I completely misunderstanding what you said you did?

iCloud itself doesn't store anything there unless at least one of your devices is set to store information there in the first place. It's not a save storage space in the general sense it's more of a active repository for your devices to actively use. Things gets deleted/replaced from there if it's not on a linked device.

Restoring the original data - I'm assuming you mean from the PC iTunes backup you mentioned before? If you did that then your books and their info settings etc. should've synced across to your iPad, warranted that that backup had the book info inside it and that you had the books in your iTunes library for it to sync them over during the backup restoration process.

Or am I completely misunderstanding what you said you did?

iCloud itself doesn't store anything there unless at least one of your devices is set to store information there in the first place. It's not a save storage space in the general sense it's more of a active repository for your devices to actively use. Things gets deleted/replaced from there if it's not on a linked device.

Yeah the original import using the USB from the PC to the new iPad worked great. I had all my books and their annotations. I then enabled iCloud and selected backup.

I then formatted the iPad and connected it to my Mac. On iCloud, iBooks storage shows 60MB+. When I download the app and open it, there is nothing in it.

Did I do it wrong?

japtor

I do most of my posting from the iPad (...although not this post). I got used to typing on it pretty quick, takes longer for some and others just can't get the hang of it. Give it a go with just the screen first, if you buy a keyboard with it you might not give the screen a fair shot.
Yeah the original import using the USB from the PC to the new iPad worked great. I had all my books and their annotations. I then enabled iCloud and selected backup.

I then formatted the iPad and connected it to my Mac. On iCloud, iBooks storage shows 60MB+. When I download the app and open it, there is nothing in it.

Did I do it wrong?
I think books might be handled like music and videos, in which case the source was the computer. So you'll need to sync them or download them yourself.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"

Did I do it wrong?
Why did you format it after the initial backup restoration? You can backup to iCloud regardless and delete the pc backup if desired, it makes no difference.

Did you restore from the iCloud backup after the format? You'd need to do that to recover everything. If you already did and it restored the books it should've also restored the other settings.

Downloading an app that you have setting for in your backup does nothing to restore those settings to that app unless you restore the backup to the device. As I said iCloud is not a save storage in the usual sense, it's a cloud saved backup storage in case your device is wiped and a syncing service between multiple devices/mac programs like Pages etc.
You restore settings for your entire device or nothing at the same time, it doesn't do it per app. Presumably the latter functions could arrive in iOS 6, but that's speculation.

RedAssedApe

Banned
Splashtop, so I can watch it on my pad through the usual streaming sites ;)

Yup splashtop works surprising well and I'm not even using the HD/iPad version. I'm using the iphone version I downloaded when it was free and it still looks decent even when 2x mode.

I hate typing on this thing. It is passable for short posts like this, but I still make lots of errors.

Have you tried using dictation? It actually works pretty well as long as you speak clearly.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby

way better than most smartphones but way worse than any decent keyboard? that's about as accurate as i can get. concur with it's totally cool for short posts, messages, and emails not so cool for anything longer. at least for me maybe some have worked hard enough that it's amazing like those people who play donkey basketball professionally

sfedai0

Banned
way better than most smartphones but way worse than any decent keyboard? that's about as accurate as i can get. concur with it's totally cool for short posts, messages, and emails not so cool for anything longer. at least for me maybe some have worked hard enough that it's amazing like those people who play donkey basketball professionally

Drunk post?

JaseMath

32!

I have zero movies or music but a bunch of games and a small fraction of my photos (6 or 7gb worth) and I really regret getting 32GB instead of 64GB. I really hope the next iPad has a 128GB option.

Granted I buy (and never play) a ridiculous amount of games, but going forward games are only getting bigger. You might never run into a problem with 16gb, it's only kind of a pain to shuffle apps and content around, but if you're going in with the intention to buy games, I think you're in for a much better experience with 32gb.

And if you have a Steam account with more than 20 games you've never played, you should probably get a 64gb iPad.

Edit: You totally changed up that question on me! We'll I'm leaving my answer anyways in the hopes it will prevent more purchases of 16gb iPads!

Laying on the couch and typing is super easy. I wouldn't want to write a novel like that (but I probably could), but chatting/emails/posts to GAF are no sweat. If you're sitting at a desk and typing a lot, you might want to consider a bluetooth keyboard, but I'd figure out your usage patterns first before spending any money on keyboards.
LOL I totally did - figured it was a redundant question in this thread. Thanks for the advice anyway. ;)

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
So I've started using my laptop in addition to my iPad. For the first few weeks I fooled myself into believing it could replace my laptop. While a great device and an improvement to my internet habits over all the iPad just can't be a primary device. Which saddens me.

Enco

So I've started using my laptop in addition to my iPad. For the first few weeks I fooled myself into believing it could replace my laptop. While a great device and an improvement to my internet habits over all the iPad just can't be a primary device. Which saddens me.
Yea this.

After using my iPad for a while I tried out my Air again and damn it's superior.

The iPad is still amazing and I use it daily but it will never be my main computer.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
That pisses me off. Now its like what the fuck I gotta do something about this old Macintosh I don't want to spend money. But my laptop can barely handle maxgif and soundcloud at the sametime and its like dude if youre not listening to weird techno soundcloud while browsing maxgif then im sorry about all thats wrong in your life but it will be over soon so throw some cheese on that bitch.

Top Bottom