• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid 2 HD coming to Nvidia Shield tomorrow [out now]

Toybasher

Neo Member
Yes, it has the VR missions and Snake Tales, etc.

I haven't played more than an hour or two, but outside of the random Android induced hitching it's fine. 720p, but I don't have other HD versions to compare too. Frame rate is solid.

Good to hear. Was concerned because it mentioned nothing about the snake side missions, and had the "Sons of Liberty" title.

How do the controls feel? You played the PS2 version? I'm curious if anything was changed to account for the Shield's controls. Do weapons still have that pressure sensitive thing that always ended up in accidental murder during hold-ups?

This is complete madness if they don't put it on Steam.

They'll sell, what, a few hundred copies on the Shield store?

It's ported by Nvidia Lightspeed Studios - not by Konami. LSS only really do Shield ports - so don't set your expectations anywhere. None of the LSS games have sold very well, NVidia don't really care.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
r84PoRf.png

ahahaha

Toybasher

Neo Member
This is complete madness if they don't put it on Steam.

They'll sell, what, a few hundred copies on the Shield store?

Makes the Shield a more appealing product though. I'm sure Nvidia will keep working to bring more games to the device, just like any platform.

I think Nvidia pays the companies to port it for them, basically. I.E. they gave Konami money, and Konami let's Nvidia port it to the shield. Free money, basically.

I still think they'd make significantly more money (but it'd be a bit expensive as Konami would have to port it themselves) if it got a steam release.

I'm hoping if it sells well, the other games get ported to steam, too. Peace Walker get's a PC port, I'm buying 4 copies for me and some friends, because the COOP in that game was absolutely amazing.

I mean there was a MGS2 pc port but it had MAJOR problems, no widescreen, issues on modern hardware, control issues, etc. All I'd want is just a fixed up re-release of it.

Stop begging for a PC release on Nvidia's trailer guys. Nvidia aren't going to see your comments and decide to put Konami's game on PC. I know it's us too because the video is unlisted and only those with a link can comment.

Javier23

Banned
It's not a PC version though, so why would it be on Steam? Is Steam now a marketplace for Android apps that only run on the Nvidia Shield?
It's also not a marketplace for console games that only run on said consoles, and surprise, we are still getting, say, FFXV. It's called "ports".

I completely forgot that the Switch uses the same Tegra chip as the shield.

That said a pc port would also be welcome, I'd love to replay MGS2/3 at 4K 60 fps.

Toybasher

Neo Member
Where were you hearing rumours this was fake?

On the reddit threads several people brought up the copyright date "Should" say "2011-2017 or 2013-2017" and not just "2017" They also pointed out the "A Hideo Kojima Game" at the top, claiming "Konami would have removed that!".

I had thought the same, just because of the source being a single twitter tweet, and just how strange it seemed to suddenly, out of no where "It's releasing tomorrow!'.

On the reddit threads several people brought up the copyright date "Should" say "2011-2017 or 2013-2017" and not just "2017" They also pointed out the "A Hideo Kojima Game" at the top, claiming "Konami would have removed that!".

I had thought the same, just because of the source being a single twitter tweet, and just how strange it seemed to suddenly, out of no where "It's releasing tomorrow!'.

That's just speculation, not really a rumor.

Toybasher

Neo Member
Because it costs very little to port it, cost that will be made back in the first 10 minutes of selling it on Steam?

It'd actually cost a bit. You'd have to change and re-record dialogue possibly (Like Campbell/Otacon telling you how to sneak. On a KB you can't "Tilt the analogue stick slowly to walk lightly".)

Or they could leave the dialogue as it is. Text might need to be changed for item and weapon descriptions (AP sensor can't rumble your keyboard.) etc. or it could be kept the same and assume you're using a controller.

No pressure sensitive buttons on the 360 controller? I think they had a workaround. A lot of stuff would just have to be changed for mouse and keyboard functionality as you don't have any real "analogue" functions. Shift to walk? Right mouse to aim, left mouse to fire? Middle Mouse to toggle between "Run and Gun" and "Rotate In Place" mode, etc. Tab to open inventory, Caps Lock to open weapons? R (toggle) for FPV? Space to change stance, etc. (Obviously we should get the ability to rebind controls)

It's just not as simple as "port it and be done" I wish it was but it's honestly not if you really sit down and think about it.

I still think it'd be relatively inexpensive compared to the profit. I dunno if they even have access to the Source Code for the original games considering what happened to the Silent Hill HD collection.

Javier23

Banned
It'd actually cost a bit. You'd have to change and re-record dialogue possibly (Like Campbell/Otacon telling you how to sneak. On a KB you can't "Tilt the analogue stick slowly to walk lightly".)

Or they could leave the dialogue as it is. Text might need to be changed for item and weapon descriptions (AP sensor can't rumble your keyboard.) etc. or it could be kept the same and assume you're using a controller.

No pressure sensitive buttons on the 360 controller? I think they had a workaround. A lot of stuff would just have to be changed for mouse and keyboard functionality as you don't have any real "analogue" functions. Shift to walk? Right mouse to aim, left mouse to fire? Middle Mouse to toggle between "Run and Gun" and "Rotate In Place" mode, etc. Tab to open inventory, Caps Lock to open weapons? R (toggle) for FPV? Space to change stance, etc. (Obviously we should get the ability to rebind controls)

It's just not as simple as "port it and be done" I wish it was but it's honestly not if you really sit down and think about it.

I still think it'd be relatively inexpensive compared to the profit. I dunno if they even have access to the Source Code for the original games considering what happened to the Silent Hill HD collection.
I dunno, like, MGS2 already got a PC port that's all but useless these days and all the stuff you mention was kept intact, so it was simple enough back then. If those are all the problems they'll be facing I think it should be pretty easy.

Toybasher

Neo Member
I dunno, like, MGS2 already got a PC port that's all but useless these days and all the stuff you mention was kept intact, so it was simple enough back then.

All I remember hearing about the controls for M+KB being "Non existent". Never actually played it. Or maybe it was controller support being non existent? I don't remember much. Just "Control issues" and them being unrebindable without a fix.

Shari

Or, you know, you could just put an image among the partner logos on startup that says "controller required" along with the proper tag for steam.

Unsurmountable problem you've got there friend.

It's also not a marketplace for console games that only run on said consoles, and surprise, we are still getting, say, FFXV. It's called "ports".

But has a port of the Nvidia Shield version of MGS2HD been announced in any way? Heck, has any Shield exclusive game ever been ported for the PC out of the blue?

Because it costs very little to port it, cost that will be made back in the first 10 minutes of selling it on Steam?

I wouldn't simply assume it is easy or cheap to port an Android application made specifically for the Nvidia Shield. Does anyone even know the developers behind this?

kuYuri

I like how these drive-by posts of "lol port begging" don't even get why there is speculation of a PC port.

Give me a list of Nvidia Shield native games that didn't start out with a PC version or have a native mobile Android version. I don't think it's possible. The point is that everything on the Shield has been a port of a PC or Android game up to now. This is the first time a console exclusive has come to the Shield as far as I know. Again, I would love more examples of a Shield port like this if it exists.

This is honestly the only reason I speculated a possibility of a PC port might be happening at first, but it's looking likely that Nvidia payed for development of this port to Shield only. Not to mention this is specifically a port of the HD edition, not the original PC port from the early 2000s.

The Switch posts can definitely be interpreted as port begging since no version of MGS2 ever existed on Nintendo systems.

Pez

Would be so cool if MGS 3 and Peace Walker gots ports.

Makes me optimistic for Switch versions. I really hope for MGS3 they add the third-person aiming controls and crouch ability from the 3DS version.

Those two inclusions make it the best playing version of the game.

I think most are on PC. The only exclusives i've seen with brief research is games that are general android games.

But that's the other way around, i.e., PC games being ported to the Shield, probably because Nvidia itself was trying to bolster the Shield's library.

I don't think Nvidia is interested in porting or paying for ports of games exclusive to their platform to PCs.

I've played through the Tanker section on the Shield and it's very solid, no frame dips as far as I can see and a 1080p60 presentation. The gun poised stance can be cancelled with a click of the left analog stick. Nvidia Lightspeed Studios splash screen appears at the start so I guess they did the port.
(Edit: Good to hear David Hayters voice again)

Toybasher

Neo Member
I've played through the Tanker section on the Shield and it's very solid, no frame dips as far as I can see and a 1080p60 presentation. The gun poised stance can be cancelled with a click of the left analog stick. Nvidia Lightspeed Studios splash screen appears at the start so I guess they did the port.

Do the blood marks that appear on enemys when shot still show? I remember in the ps2 version if you shot a guy in the arm there would be a red mark on it, but not in the ps3 version. Wonder if that was fixed.

Likewise, does the coolant fog up mirrors? Didn't work in the ps3 but definitely on ps2.

Jb

Thanks for the impressions.

Do the blood marks that appear on enemys when shot still show? I remember in the ps2 version if you shot a guy in the arm there would be a red mark on it, but not in the ps3 version. Wonder if that was fixed.

Likewise, does the coolant fog up mirrors? Didn't work in the ps3 but definitely on ps2.

I'd have to go back and check on both of these but I haven't started the Big Shell yet.

$10 is pretty cheap. But then it is an older game so I guess it's better it matches the pricepoints of the Shield ports of Half Life and Doom 3.

HeelPower

Konami is completely nonsensical at this point.

Nvidia shield port ? Ocelot palette swap now playable two years later ?

wot 🤔🤥

dr_rus

Cmon guys, it's not hard to figure out. The game is on Vita since forever, Vita is based on ARM CPU and PowerVR GPU, porting a game from this to a system with a faster ARM CPU and a faster GeForce GPU is easy.

They definitely should port it to Switch next though.

Top Bottom