• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 09•29-10•01•17 - Cruise spitroasted by Pennywise and Kingsman, Flatliners DOA

Pachimari

I've only seen Transformers 1 and 2, and think I liked the second one more.

So, when are we getting more Angry Birds movies and spin-offs?

Slayven

I am still mad Anthony Anderson, the hacker girl, and the president didn't return in any of the Transformer's movies

We gotta have that bad boys 3 already. Dunno why they've been sitting on it for so long

I thought this was going to be a slam dunk announcement once we realized how bad Transformers was doing. Here's Bay without a franchise, and Sony with a movie franchise from him stuck in some level of turn-around, it's a match made in some amount of cash. Yet, it still hasn't happened yet.

The heck is Martin Lawrence even up to these days?

I just watched the two movies and it's funny to see him get top billing over Will Smith.

edit: welp just Googled him and the first frequently asked question is "Is Martin Lawrence dead or alive?"

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
I know some people that won't watch something if a dog or cat is killed. Not walk away during that scene, straight up won't watch. Major overreaction but *shrug* people are weird

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Pain and Gain is pretty much a Coen Bros film made by Michael Bay. It's so abstract

Pain and Gain was fantastic. He needs to return to R and small projects. He did everything he wanted to with Transformers by the 3rd movie and the 4th and 5th just clearly show his heart isn't there anymore. Bay wasn't trying to one up the last one or get a studio to pay for some ridiculous ass stunts. It was more like, I'll make these if you let me do 13 and Pain and Gain.

GhaleonEB

I know some people that won't watch something if a dog or cat is killed. Not walk away during that scene, straight up won't watch. Major overreaction but *shrug* people are weird

My operating assumption in movies like that, when there's a dog in that kind of role, is the dog dies. Not gonna lie, it's a deterrent. Most of the time I'd rather they kill the people.

And I don't even like dogs.

DeathyBoy

Banned
Pain and Gain was fantastic. He needs to return to R and small projects. He did everything he wanted to with Transformers by the 3rd movie and the 4th and 5th just clearly show his heart isn't there anymore. Bay wasn't trying to one up the last one or get a studio to pay for some ridiculous ass stunts. It was more like, I'll make these if you let me do 13 and Pain and Gain.

You know what I want? A Sorkin script directed by Bay. That shit would be cinematic gold.

Penguin

T-mobile Tuesday informs me there's a My Little Pony Movie out this weekend

Is there any anticipation this will do well?

T-mobile Tuesday informs me there's a My Little Pony Movie out this weekend

Is there any anticipation this will do well?
Low distribution and advertising, along with an HD copy leaking online, pull it down, but early critical reactions being very positive and the embargo ending right before it comes out (so it's fresh in parents' minds) will hopefully pull it up.

In any case, it seems like Hasbro is banking more on merchandise and home release sales than anything, and that should work out well.

kswiston

Have most of the brony crowd moved on to other things in the past few years? I don't see nearly as strong an online presence for MLP as there was earlier this decade.

It feels like the MLP film is something that should have come out in 2013 instead of 2017.

Have most of the brony crowd moved on to other things in the past few years? I don't see nearly as strong an online presence for MLP as there was earlier this decade.

It feels like the MLP film is something that should have come out in 2013 instead of 2017.
It's definitely smaller than it was during the first two seasons, but it has stabilized into a still large fanbase. There are plenty of MLP specific conventions, and if anything, I'm seeing more fan art based on specific episodes than in the early days, demonstrating more people are actually watching the episodes rather than just hanging out in the fandom.

But talking about bronies is missing the forest for the trees. The actual target audience of little kids massively outnumbers the adult men, and Hasbro's attempts to expand in that market have been successful. This can best be seen with Equestria Girls, which is known to be less popular with adult men than the actual show, yet YouTube videos for it often get far more views than pony videos, pointing toward it being very popular with younger kids that don't engage with the fandom. And looking at those that do, a lot of fan content based on Equestria Girls does appear to be created by young people.

The comics and tie in books are apparently very successful at book fairs and such, which does actually have a huge impact on their sales. They've been expanding in this area, with a lot of new chapter books and picture books, plus enthusiast-aimed products like a very detailed art book for the movie. In terms of toys, there's been a ton of new stuff, including products aimed at young boys (Guardians of Harmony) that appear to be doing well, and figures aimed at fans.

Anyway, the point is that signs point to the franchise doing very well with the actual target audience, so talking about bronies is a distraction. But things are fine in the brony sphere too.

EDIT: Added a bit more.

EDIT: How well the movie does in theaters is a complete toss up, but I have zero doubt in my mind that MLP the Movie will do very well in home release, looking at the Equestria Girls DTV movies as evidence.

GhaleonEB

All I know is my 12 year-old daughter is hauling me to it on Saturday.

kswiston

Movies based on kids animated TV shows often don't do all that well at the box office, because parents are content to stream the stuff on Netflix.

Exceptions are things like Spongebob which also have a large teenage/adult fanbase. Or properties that are red hot (like Pokemon when the first film released).

Expecting the home vdeo to be successful makes sense though.

I may take my daughter. She likes MLP, and we haven't been to the theatre since Despicable Me 3.

Certinty

Honestly didn't even think Flatliners was bad, actually was pretty fun. Just it went on for too long and the ending was so abrupt (and a little stupid).

Bronson was in here repping for Colossal, yeah?

Saw it on a plane and it was A-OK. It's yet another movie where Dan Stevens has a minor supporting role, so there's that.

Saw it on a plane and it was A-OK. It's yet another movie where Dan Stevens has a minor supporting role, so there's that.

Sudeikis and Hathaway were great. It was pretty smart casting that dude as a piece of shit of sorts, actors like him have a knack for it but they're never really given the opportunity (like Bateman in the gift)

Slayven

Kids are weird at what they like. I took my nephew to homecoming and he seemed meh about it. But he been bugging me for weeks for the DVD.

He also likes MIles more than Peter, I need to have a talk with him soon.

Speaking of kids, this week I learned my 5-year-old niece is already a big Wonder Woman fan, despite being too young to see the movie. Not exactly sure how that happened. Maybe those DC Super Hero Girls cartoons, comics, or talking with friends who have seen it. But it's nice to think when she's old enough there's a great Wonder Woman film for her to watch. Gave her some Wonder Woman posters and stuff I got from my screening and she was really happy about that.

Sudeikis and Hathaway were great. It was pretty smart casting that dude as a piece of shit of sorts, actors like him have a knack for it but they're never really given the opportunity (like Bateman in the gift)

Yeah. Or to an extent Adam Sandler in Punch-Drunk Love. They usually play smarmy but good-natured leads.

Colossal's soundtrack is really fucking good, as long as we're singing its praises again.

I like good movies guys, don't get it twisted

I'm the hitmaker

Pharaun

I may take my daughter. She likes MLP, and we haven't been to the theatre since Despicable Me 3.

All my kids (1 son, 2 daughters) are exited about MLP so we're planning on taking them on Saturday. It's getting the Pharaun Family Bump.

I think it will do a little better than expected even with the leaked copy.

Top Bottom