• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin |OT| Your weapons are weak, old man

moozoom

Been playing this for a couple hours tonight (shops in Paris broke the date again).

I'm really loving the graphic touch-ups so far. The fluidity and up-rezzed textures really make a difference.Majula's music is still one of my favorite themes of the souls series. Many little things are different,
even the items sold in the shops in the beginning aren't the same and some of them are intriguing and can suggest a different way to tackle certain areas.

After feeling punished by Bloodborne these last few days, it's a nice feeling to go back to a game I'm familiar with. Although the new enemy placement and changes are making me cautious in the first levels, it's sooo good to have my trusty shield back. Glad I picked this up, this will help my self-esteem to play it when a Bloodborne boss makes me cry.

Neoweee

Because last time I saw that pursuer gif someone broke it down into individual frames and saw that the player actually does get hit with the grab attack. So yeah, you continuing to post it as an example of bad hit detection is extremely dishonest and reveals that you are posting with an agenda instead of to inform.

It's more about the grab animation that makes it jarring. I'd LOVE to see Dark Souls 3 completely do away with grabs, backstabs, and ripostes. Getting locked into animations, or locking your enemies into animations is always off-putting to me, and I know I'm not alone in that.

dreamlock

The hero Los Santos deserves
Why can't I find this on the steam store? Region locked?

Not out yet. Should be out by tomorrow afternoon in NA. Expecting the same for EU.

Been playing this for a couple hours tonight (shops in Paris broke the date again).

I'm really loving the graphic touch-ups so far. The fluidity and up-rezzed textures really make a difference.Majula's music is still one of my favorite themes of the souls series. Many little things are different,
even the items sold in the shops in the beginning aren't the same and some of them are intriguing and can suggest a different way to tackle certain areas.

After feeling punished by Bloodborne these last few days, it's a nice feeling to go back to a game I'm familiar with. Although the new enemy placement and changes are making me cautious in the first levels, it's sooo good to have my trusty shield back. Glad I picked this up, this will help my self-esteem to play it when a Bloodborne boss makes me cry.

What do you think about the new enemy placements that you have discovered thus far? Does it seem like they've revamped it in a big way, or is it just tweaked here and there?

Randam

Because last time I saw that pursuer gif someone broke it down into individual frames and saw that the player actually does get hit with the grab attack. So yeah, you continuing to post it as an example of bad hit detection is extremely dishonest and reveals that you are posting with an agenda instead of to inform.
What?
The sword misses him completely.

Gbraga

You can use reshade instead.

Is there even any way to use reshade reasonably? Every single screenshot I see using it looks like a console game. Which is obviously not a compliment. People fill the screen with crap that ruins clear IQ to make it "more cinematic".

I'll probably buy it at some point. I have the DX9 version in my Steam library that I played a while back but I never ended up buying the DLC. I might as well pay the little extra to upgrade + get the DLC.

Corpekata

Banned
Is there even any way to use reshade reasonably? Every single screenshot I see using it looks like a console game. Which is obviously not a compliment. People fill the screen with crap that ruins clear IQ to make it "more cinematic".

Yes, you have to turn the effects on. It's not always easy to get a good mix since it involves a lot of config file editing but you can suit it to your tastes.

Vaporak

What?

Nope like the other guy says, it actually cleanly intersects the players foot. This is an example of the hit detection being too good and registering hits that some players can't even see, not the hit detection being poor.

ElTopo

Banned
Far from optimal, that said I think DS1 is clouding my memory. I remember having an awful time with the keyboard when I played one of these games, so I switched over to my controller for the rest.

This is dedicated to Dark Souls 2. Not 1. 2. And I was able to use Mouse and Keyboard on Dark Souls 1 back when DSMousefix worked and had no problems either. When it was updated to Steamworks DSMousefix was borked.

Gbraga

Nope like the other guy says, it actually cleanly intersects the players foot. This is an example of the hit detection being too good and registering hits that some players can't even see, not the hit detection being poor.

Actually, I'd argue that the hit detection is kinda poor, even if the hitboxes themselves didn't have a problem. Dark II has way too many situations where you're teleported into a grab, which is shitty. Especially since it's a sword attack. The optimal hit detection would see that his foot was hit, so he would take damage, but also that he wasn't in grab range, so it would just be thrust damage.

Anyway, it's not that much of a problem once you up your agility. The real problem is that agility even exists.

It clearly intersects his foot if you do a frame-by-frame. That GIF has been shown on this forum at least 500 times by now.

Whether it intersects his foot or not, the end result is something that looks like shit. And it was definitely a contributing factor to making combat in the game feel off in many respects.

So I'd still like to know if anyone knows whether the hitboxes have been fixed. We can argue about whether it's the hitboxes, or the animation system, or whatever else it might be, but the point is that whatever caused that bug that makes the game look like shit -- is it fixed?

Lol?
If they wanted to fix that, there would have been a bunch of better ways to do that.

And did you really think "awesome, the enemy tracks my all around so I can't back stab him"?

Only it isn't.

It honestly is. If what the interview with Tanimura and other game designers is true (that someone posted on GAF and most people haven't read), the game was going to be like Tomb of the giants, one of the most annoying sections of Dark Souls one. At some point Tanimura took the lead of the project and decided to get rid of that because they "were overdoing it". For all we know now, Tanimura and the "B team" saved Dark Souls 2 from being more annoying than fun.

Krappadizzle

Gold Member

Why don't you use your eyes and LOOK at the gif. I'm not saying the pursuer doesn't land some kind of quick hit against the corner of his foot in a single frame. BUT LOOK AT IT. It doesn't LOOK like that.

Sami+

To everyone looking to get into the series thanks to a great time with Bloodborne -

Please please please PLEASE just get Demon's Souls or Dark Souls PC. For your own sake. Breaks my heart just thinking about people that are gonna write off the older games because they don't like DkS2.

Whether it intersects his foot or not, the end result is something that looks like shit. And it was definitely a contributing factor to making combat in the game feel off in many respects.

So I'd still like to know if anyone knows whether the hitboxes have been fixed. We can argue about whether it's the hitboxes, or the animation system, or whatever else it might be, but the point is that whatever caused that bug that makes the game look like shit -- is it fixed?

It's not a bug, it's a property of grab attacks and how hitboxes interact. The grab attack threatens a wider range than you intuitively think it should but every Souls game has this "bug".

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
To everyone looking to get into the series thanks to a great time with Bloodborne -

Please please please PLEASE just get Demon's Souls or Dark Souls PC. For your own sake. Breaks my heart just thinking about people that are gonna write off the older games because they don't like DkS2.

I dunno I like DS2 about as much as DS1. I wouldn't worry.

Nyoro SF

What?

I mean I had some frustrating hitbox issues in DS2, but that GIF is a spammed bad example; the sword does strike him for a single frame and since it's a grab attack, it locks him into the animation.

You'll see something like that (hitgrabs that hit from unusual distances) in a Street Fighter game while it can be hard to perceive because of the speed, like Ibuki's Raida vs. Dhalsim's limbs.

Lol

This game isn't that bad. I loved both Dark Souls games pretty much equally.

ironcreed

Banned

Or maybe they will love it and then go play the others all the same? Dark Souls Ii was far from being some failure, despite the hate it gets on some corners of the internet.

They both had their low point levels for me. Namely, Lost Izalith and Black Gulch. But beyond that I still love both games about equally, and probably even like the environment diversity in Dark Souls II more.

I'm biased because Dark Souls was my first Souls game and it was only after O&S that I started actually getting a handle on the mechanics and hit my stride and really enjoy the game as opposed to being frustrated. Even Lost Izalith I kinda think of fondly as being a neat looking area at least.

Mogwai

Eh what?

The people who dislike DS2 are for most part the ones that played the previous games.

ubiblu

Am i the only one that thinks the 'Upgraded textures' still look like absolute shit? I'm loving BB and want to give this a chance, but it looks like a ps2 game.

HeelPower

If they continue the series and make a Dark Souls 3 then I'd expect it'll look amazing considering DS2 was originally a last-gen title and not current-gen like Bloodborne.

Probably never would have had to make such a drastic downgrade either if they'd released it later on PS4/PC only, but who knows.

I don't doubt that myself.

I don't really care about the lighting downgrade either because I never thought it was possible on freaking PS360 anyway.

ironcreed

Banned
Eh what?

The people who dislike DS2 are for most part the ones that played the previous games.

It's so crazy to me. I have been there since importing Demon's Souls and love Dark Souls II just as much as the other two games and even more in some ways.

BizzyBum

Hm, after playing Bloodborne I'm kinda itching to play this game again. I bought the PS3 version but never beat it. I'm debating if I should get it for the PC or PS4.

It's not a bug, it's a property of grab attacks and how hitboxes interact. The grab attack threatens a wider range than you intuitively think it should but every Souls game has this "bug".

It's obviously a bug. Are you saying that grab attacks are designed to make your character disappear from one location and reappear in another location without a smooth animation transition?

Give me a break.

Arttemis

Got a better subtitle? Feel free to suggest it. Lightning Returns was the original (before we knew a whole lot about the game), but the original lighting is not in the game.

If I forgot something, PM me.

Oh, I assumed the thread title was double entendre reference to Durante, seeing as how he's famous for his DS1 fix, then fixed Lightning Returns - in addition to quite having Miyazaki charm.

I like DS2 more than DS1.
And yes, I've played DS1 first, and DeS after DS2 (really dislike DeS).

Never had any issues with the hitboxes, in fact, I think I enjoy DS2 more because it requires more presicion to play and dodge.

I think if people don't care about PVP at all DS2 should be a perfectly good introduction to the series. Despite the occasional hiccup I think it's actually the more consistent game. Highs aren't as high, but lows aren't as low as its predecessor.

Sami+

Lol

This game isn't that bad.

I disagree I think it's pretty bad

I remember exactly what my gf at the time said when she first started playing it. She doesn't play video games but I convinced her to give Dark Souls a shot and she fell in love with it - solo'd the whole game and I bought her DkS2 after:

"Mmm. I just beat the first level... I kind of wish I played this one first now, since it wouldn't feel as bad and going to the first one would feel like an impro- hmm, actually, no, if I played this one first I probably would have just thought it was ok and not bother playing the first one, not really understanding why you love these games so much."

I honestly had the exact same thought process going through it.

I'm sorry if I come off as "one of those guys" to fans of the game. I get why you like it. It has its merits. But in the end, I personally felt really sour about the whole experience as I watched the credits roll and very passionately disagree with almost every single change the made to the formula. The stat system in particular is the worst fucking thing and it genuinely boggles my mind that anyone could possibly think AGL and Soul Memory were good ideas.

You can disagree if you want, that's cool, but to me letting DkS2 be your first impression of the series is akin to playing Sonic 4 and thinking "I don't get the hype Classic Sonic sucks too" when a series of (flawed) masterpieces is sitting right in front of you.

pixlexic

Banned

people who like BB are going to think DS anything is slow and too hard.

tumblr_n5ccnzhvTv1ro156wo2_r1_400.gif

I just stuck my head in here but I'm confused by this statement. The controls are fine with Mouse and Keyboard. The only problem is you can't parry or do the jump attack without using a keybinding tool. Otherwise they're fine.

If it's anything like DS1's kbam controls (after applying the fix) then it is infinitely superior to a controller. My first playthrough (ever) of DS1 was on PC using kbam. Second playthrough was with a controller.

There was a website you could upload your game save to for gameplay statistics and I had more than 100 fewer deaths with kbam. then with controller. That is a massive difference considering the kbam playthrough was my first time playing the game. Enemies just cant keep up with kbam circle strafe and bow aiming is obviously amazing using kbam and (in DS1 anyway) felt really trashy with a controller.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
After playing Bloodborne, my feeling is that DeS, and DS1 and 2 are (only) slightly harder initially when your character is weak and has poor gear. Most of the bosses are nowhere near as aggressive and psychopathic as the typical Bloodborne boss fight though.

simtmb

Anyone playing this on XBONE?

Curious to know how it performs or if i should just get it on PS4, or better yet, PC.
Although i'd like to run in the consoles a bit more honestly.

After playing Bloodborne, my feeling is that DeS, and DS1 and 2 are (only) slightly harder initially when your character is weak and has poor gear. Most of the bosses are nowhere near as aggressive and psychopathic as the typical Bloodborne boss fight though.

Bloodborne feels like every boss is a giant Flamelurker or Manus.

Top Bottom