• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XII The Zodiac Age |OT| You Had One Job!

Bladenic

So to use every job, how should I distribute to my party? I went with typical Shikari/Foebreaker for Vaan, but the rest of the team is:

Monk
Red Mage
Archer
Bushi
Time Mage

Having a hard time deciding mainly on who gets Black Mage

NKnight7

Neo Member
So to use every job, how should I distribute to my party? I went with typical Shikari/Foebreaker for Vaan, but the rest of the team is:

Monk
Red Mage
Archer
Bushi
Time Mage

Having a hard time deciding mainly on who gets Black Mage

I ended up giving Penelo Black Mage, and overall it worked out pretty great. Penelo was good for me when I needed to dish out some heavy magic attacks to enemies.

Jennipeg

Am I right in thinking the Shadowseer battle is bullshit? He summons the big turtle and they both become immune to physical and magical attacks, then he removes my mp, and hits me with a bunch of status effects. I've given up twice in sheer frustration because I can't do any damage.

I'm in the high 70's so thats not the issue, I just don't know what i'm supposed to do with it, guides say he is immune to physical attacks when he puts a barrier up, so why doesn't magic work either? As I said, its bullshit.

Edit: I have managed to beat it now, I had to go and find a Ribbon first, then had Balthier spamming remedy every 3 seconds. Not exactly fun.

Mcdohl

Almost done Rare Game hunting, then Trial Mode time!!!

My main party is level 78, 77, and 73

Secondary party is level 63, 50, 50

I have two ribbons, all techs and magicks, all espers, genji gear, stocked up on ethers, potions, curative items, etc.

Oh, and I do have one Niho

Anything else that you would consider essential for trial mode that I might be missing? And are my levels enough?

Edit: I just learned I can get a second niho and a third ribbon via the Hunt Club so I'll get that too before Trial Mode

Just finished the main story this evening after about 3 months and ~70 hours of playtime. First Final Fantasy game I've ever "finished" (although I know there is still a lot to do), so very glad I jumped in with the remaster of XII as it's one of those games I always wanted to play on PS2 and never had the chance. Amazing how well it holds up a decade later.

Levels for my party are 71, 70, 68, 64, 63, 60. Made it to the 50th stage of trial mode so far. I think I'm going to go try to find a ribbon next, would be a big help with the final elite marks and espers.

Am I right in thinking the Shadowseer battle is bullshit? He summons the big turtle and they both become immune to physical and magical attacks, then he removes my mp, and hits me with a bunch of status effects. I've given up twice in sheer frustration because I can't do any damage.

I'm in the high 70's so thats not the issue, I just don't know what i'm supposed to do with it, guides say he is immune to physical attacks when he puts a barrier up, so why doesn't magic work either? As I said, its bullshit.

Edit: I have managed to beat it now, I had to go and find a Ribbon first, then had Balthier spamming remedy every 3 seconds. Not exactly fun.

The three big enemy barriers (physical, magical, and anti-negative status) are definitely annoying, as are the assorted 'fields' that can be dropped over your party (hp drain, mp drain, no magic, no attack, no items) but they're all surmountable - it's just something to adjust your strategy to. And yeah, sometimes all you can do is wait it out. It'll be a couple of minutes of purely defensive play, but the barriers DO always lift (sometimes they get immediately brought back, but no enemy is EVER permanently immune to magic *and* physical damage).

Croc

Banned
so if I'm having trouble fighting Hashmal am I pretty much fucked unless I wanna do that whole tower over again?

so if I'm having trouble fighting Hashmal am I pretty much fucked unless I wanna do that whole tower over again?

That's honestly surprising to me - I'd say that if you're able to *get* to Hashmal you ought to be able to beat him (the enemies in this area are generally harder than he is, I think, though a couple of the bosses can be tricky if you're underequipped).

What exactly is happening that's causing problems for you? Also, IIRC, Float may make you immune to earth-elemental damage (maybe I'm totally wrong about that lol but it's true in many FFs - I barely use Float in FFXII).

Minamu

Any thoughts on quickenings and summons per character? I'm almost at Salikawood with a maxed out first job but no summons etc.

Vaan shikaru foebreaker
Balthier uhlan machinist
Fran red mage archer (iirc)
Basch bushi knight
Ashe black mage something
Penelo white mage time mage

Deimo5

Any thoughts on quickenings and summons per character? I'm almost at Salikawood with a maxed out first job but no summons etc.

Vaan shikaru foebreaker
Balthier uhlan machinist
Basch bushi knight

This is really similar to my job setup and I got the platinum without too many issues so you should be fine. Only differences being Vaan was shikari/monk and Basch foebreaker/knight. Ashe's second job was bushi too.
In my experience it was hard to take Penelo out of the party because she was such a strong support character lol.
You can pick summons depending on playstyle I think, like I gave Basch the summon that would unlock bravery so he could cast it on himself as he was all melee besides that.

Jennipeg

So I just returned to the great crystal, got a gendarme shield, shellga and hastega.... and realised that I don't have reverse so Omega is almost impossible. Now I have to leave and come back.... noooooo! I am such an idiot, I can't believe I missed that.

Minamu

This is really similar to my job setup and I got the platinum without too many issues so you should be fine. Only differences being Vaan was shikari/monk and Basch foebreaker/knight. Ashe's second job was bushi too.
In my experience it was hard to take Penelo out of the party because she was such a strong support character lol.
You can pick summons depending on playstyle I think, like I gave Basch the summon that would unlock bravery so he could cast it on himself as he was all melee besides that.
Okay so it's not super important then, I'll check what they unlock and go from there.

Vashetti

Banned
So I just returned to the great crystal, got a gendarme shield, shellga and hastega.... and realised that I don't have reverse so Omega is almost impossible. Now I have to leave and come back.... noooooo! I am such an idiot, I can't believe I missed that.

Just fight him in Trial Mode.

Jennipeg

Just fight him in Trial Mode.

Well now I feel doubly stupid because I already went back and beat him lol. It wasn't too bad in the end, I didn't need to bother with gates because I already have the spells, so I just teleported most of the way there and back. I'm never going back though, never.

Croc

Banned
That's honestly surprising to me - I'd say that if you're able to *get* to Hashmal you ought to be able to beat him (the enemies in this area are generally harder than he is, I think, though a couple of the bosses can be tricky if you're underequipped).

What exactly is happening that's causing problems for you? Also, IIRC, Float may make you immune to earth-elemental damage (maybe I'm totally wrong about that lol but it's true in many FFs - I barely use Float in FFXII).

He's just killing my party pretty fast. Disease is causing the most trouble I think. My party is around level 40 I believe

Jennipeg

Just beat Zodiark for the first time! Pretty pleased with myself, although it wasn't as hard as I expected. It took a few tries but excalibur and scathe did the job pretty fast, speed is the key. I was also lucky that darkja didn't kill everyone.

Just Yiazmat left, i'm a bit nervous about this one, but I have the spells etc, I just need to get my strategy right and hope for the best.

Deimo5

I dont think yiazmat is particularly hard except when he starts spamming his death move near the end. The problem is his giant hp can make it mentally taxing. I had a power cut at my house in the middle of the fight once but luckily had backed out to save not long before that.

Mcdohl

...and Platinum'd! :)

Trial 100 was def the hardest thing to do. I had to use the Zeromous' Big Bang method to win.

I don't think that fight is winnable without niho.

Counting Trial Mode it took me ~75 hours.

10/10 game, even though I still find the final dungeon and boss kinda anti-climatic.

So, I fucked myself.

Beat the story a few days ago. Had a manual save from before you go on the Bahamut. After doing the story, I loaded the manual save to do trial mode, which was the last trophy I needed, along with the bestiary trophy. Was pretty sure the last few enemies I needed to fight were all in trial mode, and I still might be right.

I got up through level 90, and when prompted to save, I stupidly saved over the manual save file. So now my only two saves are trapped on the bahamut. I can't go back to the actual game to get the Nihopalaoa, which I didn't have yet, so I doubt I can clear the last 10 levels even with my level 99 party. I can't check my clan journal inside trial mode to see what enemies I'm missing, and if those enemies aren't among the last 10 levels, I'll never get them anyways. And PS+ already updated my cloud saves, so the old manual one at the crystal in Rabanastre is gone.

I'm so sad, guys. This really ruined my weekend. I was having a ton of fun gradually clearing this game completely, and now I doubt I'll ever do it. New Game+ isn't actually a new game+, so I'd have to obtain every item again. Second time I've poured upwards of 100 hours in a game and had the platinum kept from me over a save glitch. And it's all my fault. Fuck.

Trial 100 was def the hardest thing to do. I had to use the Zeromous' Big Bang method to win.

Counting Trial Mode it took me ~75 hours.

10/10 game, even though I still find the final dungeon and boss kinda anti-climatic.

There's a weapon that inflicts disease on hit, i saw someone use that to beat them. But realistically i think the devs were expecting you to go in there with a niho if you wanted to win.

Tomodachi

It's doable, I used the the mace that causes disease (stealable in trial mode) and then spammed Zodiark like crazy. When only gabranth and zargabath remained standing, I put Zargabath to sleep repetedly and had Bash smash his own twin to death with the Tournesol. Zargabath alone then was a piece of cake. Aww, good times.

Yeah, on like floor 70. I'm stuck on the last 10 floors.
Well starting over trial mode is way better than starting over the whole game, isn't it? :p
Especially since the first 70-80 floors get cleared by themselves with a lvl 99 party.

It's doable, I used the the mace that causes disease (stealable in trial mode) and then spammed Zodiark like crazy. When only gabranth and zargabath remained standing, I put Zargabath to sleep repetedly and had Bash smash his own twin to death with the Tournesol. Zargabath alone then was a piece of cake. Aww, good times.

Well starting over trial mode is way better than starting over the whole game, isn't it? :p
Especially since the first 70-80 floors get cleared by themselves with a lvl 99 party.

I...can still start it over, huh? Hmm.

These are actually both doable strategies. And I suppose I can go into the story mode to pull up my clan log and check the bestiary. If I have to start over to get a rare mark or two on an earlier floor, at least I'll know which ones I'm missing.

Gonna try and knock this thing out today. Thanks :)

EDIT: Got my hopes up for no reason. I'd been following a guide for the bestiary. Never noticed the section for rare hunts spilled onto another page, so I skipped over the Alteci, Phyllo, and Urutan Exile entries. I know for a fact you don't encounter Alteci in trial mode.

*sigh* What a way to waste 120 hours.

Zakkath

Vaan shikaru foebreaker
Balthier uhlan machinist
Basch bushi knight

I Platinum'ed the game with the same class setup. Here's how I distributed the espers :

Vaan : Shikari / Foebreaker - Adrammelech, Zalera
Basch : Samurai / Knight - Belias, Hashmal, Matheus
Ashe : White Mage / Time Mage - Zeromus, Shemhazai

Balthier : Machinist / Uhlan - Famfrit, Exodus
Fran : Archer / Red Mage - Cuchelainn, Zodiark
Penelo : Black Mage / Monk - Chaos, Ultima

Minamu

I Platinum'ed the game with the same class setup. Here's how I distributed the espers :

Vaan : Shikari / Foebreaker - Adrammelech, Zalera
Basch : Samurai / Knight - Belias, Hashmal, Matheus
Ashe : White Mage / Time Mage - Zeromus, Shemhazai

Balthier : Machinist / Uhlan - Famfrit, Exodus
Fran : Archer / Red Mage - Cuchelainn, Zodiark
Penelo : Black Mage / Monk - Chaos, Ultima
Cool! Our Penelo and Ashe are inverted but otherwise the same.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
I...can still start it over, huh? Hmm.

These are actually both doable strategies. And I suppose I can go into the story mode to pull up my clan log and check the bestiary. If I have to start over to get a rare mark or two on an earlier floor, at least I'll know which ones I'm missing.

Gonna try and knock this thing out today. Thanks :)

EDIT: Got my hopes up for no reason. I'd been following a guide for the bestiary. Never noticed the section for rare hunts spilled onto another page, so I skipped over the Alteci, Phyllo, and Urutan Exile entries. I know for a fact you don't encounter Alteci in trial mode.

*sigh* What a way to waste 120 hours.

Can you get your old save file from the cloud?

Edit. Damn just saw that you can't. I missed that, sorry.

Jennipeg

I beat Yiazmat last night! First time i've ever managed to do it. A big thank you to the x4 speed and the PS4 suspend play feature. I just couldn't persevere in the original version, it was just too tedious, I worked on it bit by bit yesterday. Thats all of the bosses and espers done, I maintain that shadowseer is the worst, I just hated that boss.

I still only have about 50% of the trophies though so still lots to do.

Mcdohl

I beat Yiazmat last night! First time i've ever managed to do it. A big thank you to the x4 speed and the PS4 suspend play feature. I just couldn't persevere in the original version, it was just too tedious, I worked on it bit by bit yesterday. Thats all of the bosses and espers done, I maintain that shadowseer is the worst, I just hated that boss.

Bestiary is the most time consuming one if yoy were not filing it as you got to new areas.

Please don't fuck your save like I did lmao

Can you get your old save file from the cloud?

Edit. Damn just saw that you can't. I missed that, sorry.

Yeah, my PS4 overwrites my saves every late night, so by the time I realized what I'd done, it was too late.

I guess I have an excuse to play through the game again in a year or two. Hopefully I can speed through it a bit quicker. New Game + not really being an actual new game + is so shitty tho lmao is there any point in playing the game on that mode?

He's just killing my party pretty fast. Disease is causing the most trouble I think. My party is around level 40 I believe

I looked it up, and yeah, try using Float - it'll neutralize the damage from his Earth-elemental attacks (Roxxor and Quakeja) and cause them to miss, which should make a really substantial difference.

Disease is super annoying until it's suddenly a nonissue and it's shitty that IZJS hid Cleanse in a chest that doesn't always spawn, but there it is. Use Float and hopefully it'll make a sufficient difference that you can wear him down before Disease fucks you too hard.

Your levels are fairly low, but remember that the game is beatable in Weak New Game (levels 1/2/3 only) - every boss has a tactic you can use that'll make them much much easier.

Jennipeg

Bestiary is the most time consuming one if yoy were not filing it as you got to new areas.

Unfortunately I have not..... according to PS Trophies, I should do trial mode first and then fill in the remaining ones. It will definitely take a while.

Croc

Banned
I looked it up, and yeah, try using Float - it'll neutralize the damage from his Earth-elemental attacks (Roxxor and Quakeja) and cause them to miss, which should make a really substantial difference.

Disease is super annoying until it's suddenly a nonissue and it's shitty that IZJS hid Cleanse in a chest that doesn't always spawn, but there it is. Use Float and hopefully it'll make a sufficient difference that you can wear him down before Disease fucks you too hard.

Your levels are fairly low, but remember that the game is beatable in Weak New Game (levels 1/2/3 only) - every boss has a tactic you can use that'll make them much much easier.

Yeah that's where the trouble is lol. I missed Float before I entered the tower so now I have to leave and find it then go all the way back again -.-

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Any tips for Yiazmat in Trial Mode? He's much, much harder than in the main game and I feel like I'm headbutting a brick wall. I killed him and Omega easily in the main story, but trial mode is a completely different thing.

Edit. Oh.....I just realized I had access to Addle, Shear, Expose, etc, this whole time. I thought my party didn't have those techniques....You don't understand. His Cyclone after Growing Threat hit me for 15000 some HP. Now it's hitting me for 800 with the same party. I...did him without using these.

Edit 2. Wow at Omega. Just...wow. They toss you right into it. I have no time to do anything, and all the guys are level 25 so they are no help. Do I need to start over?

shimon

Any tips for Yiazmat in Trial Mode? He's much, much harder than in the main game and I feel like I'm headbutting a brick wall. I killed him and Omega easily in the main story, but trial mode is a completely different thing.

Edit. Oh.....I just realized I had access to Addle, Shear, Expose, etc, this whole time. I thought my party didn't have those techniques....You don't understand. His Cyclone after Growing Threat hit me for 15000 some HP. Now it's hitting me for 800 with the same party. I...did him without using these.

Edit 2. Wow at Omega. Just...wow. They toss you right into it. I have no time to do anything, and I all the guys are level 25 so they are no help. Do I need to start over?

Yeah Yiazmat is a joke in this version bc all those debuffs work on him.

How is Omega different in Trial Mode? I played Trial years ago so I don't really remember...You beat him during main game right?

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Yeah Yiazmat is a joke in this version bc all those debuffs work on him.

How is Omega different in Trial Mode? I played Trial years ago so I don't really remember...You beat him during main game right?

You start off right next to him in Trials. So there's no time to set up reverse and decoy. He starts lasering up within a second of the fight starting.

I only need the Mistwalker Trophy then i'm done with this fucking shit game. Worst Final Fantasy game, worst RPG, just a terrible game.

I honestly feel like running it over when or if I platinum it.

Valonquar

Finishing up some rare game hunts for the bestiary, then just the Mistwalker trophy as well to be finished. I find I hated the limitations IZJS added. In the original you could have everyone good at everything, in this, if you make the wrong job pairings you have to swap people out more which causes issues with needing to swap out gear more, or farm more gear. I loved 12 when it first came out, but a little less so this time. I think I would have given up on trophies entirely and just burned through the story if it wasn't for the Reks save RNG manipulation thing. Getting 3 Seitengrat Bows around level 40 made everything pretty trivial for the rest of the game. I don't know HOW I would have cleared floor 100 of trial mode without 10 Dark Energies. Even with 10 of them I had to redo the floor 100 fight a few times to get it right. Thank God for that auto save on zoning, saved me a number of times.

For Yaz & Omega EZ mode:
Set up all 3 units with as much defensive gear as possible, 3 ribbons preferred, but if not you'll have to add in a few more gambits for stuff like remedies/gold needle/etc

1 Addle unit
Ally: KO - Phoenix Down
Foe: nearest visible - Addle
Foe nearest visible - Attack (off)

1 Wither unit
Ally: KO - Phoenix Down
Ally: HP < 40% : Cura <-Addle or Wither unit can use this
Vaan (or whoever you use as tank) : Decoy
Foe: nearest visible - Wither
Foe: nearest visible - Attack (off)

1 Tank unit
Foe: nearest visible - Attack

At the start cast dispel, then just watch the damage god from the 2000s to the 200s. With the regen from ribbons healing will stop being an issue and the special attacks will do nothing at all. When you see a bunch of misses from wither & addle reaching cap, swap to attacks for a short bit before swapping back. The biggest issue is running out of Phoenix downs when RNG gets cheaty with the 1 hit KOs. Also I had an issue with trial mode Omega hitting everyone with un-dispellable berserk late in the fight that caused a mess for floor 100.

*edit* Finished off the mistwalker & bestiary trophies and then realized I had to actually beat the game for the final trophy. God damn I forgot how awful the "last boss" design was. How this story did not have another 3 hours worth of real final dungeon with the group fighting the rest of the Occuria, I'll never understand. Shoulda been a XII-2 that wasn't on handheld I guess :/

Last edited:
Top Bottom