• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Path of Exile |OT| Loot 3.0

How is this dude this huge?

rLAAAMt.jpg

I think I'm gonna roll a new character once the new league starts. How much longer do you think this season lasts? Until the end of October? November?

Leezard

I think I'm gonna roll a new character once the new league starts. How much longer do you think this season lasts? Until the end of October? November?

They've announced the ending date already. I can't remember it exactly, I think it's something like November 27th though.

RS4-

Whoops, took ancestral bond without actually being able to link anything with it. Flame totem and...yeah.

Had to use a respec point lol.

I just wanted to give some thoughts about the XBox version, as a nearly five year veteran of the PC version.

Summary: It's really nice. Outside of one glaring oversight, it's pretty on-par with the PC version.

I'll try to cover as much as I can below:

The Comparisons:

Performance:
Performance-wise, it's very good. There are minute framerate drops when S gets crazy, but I'm also rocking an 1080 GTX, so it's not a fair comparison. I don't see real slowdown in general play and things look nice. I'm curious what the XBox One X upgrade will do to it. The GGG team were the first team to run an XBox One game at 4K, so my low-tech 1080p TV should rock a solid framerate no matter what gets thrown at it.

Controls:
Smoooooooth. I've read the articles about what they did in consideration for the console, but it's a totally different thing to experience it. Auto-aim for skills is nearly flawless, and any real inaccuracies are generally my fault. The auto-loot preference detection makes looting sometimes even better than the PC! I can drive-by pick up currency reliably. It's a little harder to pick out items you want from a pile of stuff, but adding in Neversink's filter cleared that up a lot. Dual-stick navigation is super nice and the buttons map generally well.

Multiplayer:
It works super well on the XBox. I'd probably have an entirely different opinion if it was on the PS4 instead. It integrates with parties, friends, etc. and naturally fits. Instancing and joining work exactly as they do on the PC

Load Times:
Are equivalent to what you'd expect on the PC, if you were using a spinner.

Luckily, XBox's support external SSDs. With that installed, zoning is near instantaneous, just like on a PC. There is a negligible performance hit because I'm running at SATA speeds on the PC and limited to USB3 speeds on the XBox, but again, it's night-and-day compared to the internal spinner.

The XBox Exclusives:

Trading:
Auction House lite. The XBox version's of the Trading Post is literally a dump of the public stash tabs for all players. As long as you put something in a public stash tab, people can find it. Same as for the PC. However, in-game, you can set the price as an item note for others to figure out what you want.

It's not exactly the same as poe.trade. Like the AH, this interaction is managed in-game. Player X has an Abyssus he wants to sell. Player Y sees it and offers 3 chaos. Player X can reject that offer.

Imagine the smile on my face when, as I was out farming a map, I see flash across the bottom of my screen: "Offer rejected: Too low newb"

You can filter on only online players, there isn't a need to meet anyone anywhere and do a player-to-player trade. It's super convenient (except for one thing, listed as a negative below)

Auto-leveling Gems:
I don't know why the PC version doesn't have this. No more clicking ten times in the upper-right of my screen when I level. When a gem levels, it does it automatically and even displays the stats gain for the gem from level A to level B. It's a super nice touch.

You can disable auto-leveling on a gem-by-gem basis, which you'd obviously do for things like stat creep and CWDT.

The XBox Baddies:
What? It's not perfect?
Expect to see a recurring topic for this section.

I can't read anything!:
Flash back to three years ago, when PoE steadily increased the graphical fidelity of the game without any optimization. The running joke was that the developers must be testing with godly machines and leaving us normal people behind.

Well, the same has to go for the resolution choices for the XBox. The font is horrifically small. I don't know how people new to PoE handle this. I generally skip reading most things because it's too hard. An analogy to this is remembering the first time you hooked up your PC to a TV instead of a monitor. In theory, it should work, but it looks super horrible. Yeah, that.

I can't see anything!:
The XBox viewing area feels super confined. It displays just as much real estate as my PC, but I feel trapped. I can't move around the mini-map to retrace my steps. I have a super hard time navigating around the skill tree. I don't even know how I'm supposed to see things on the Atlas.

Inventory management is a nightmare:
The only times I used to think this is between league seasons, as I merge my league loot into my Standard stash. Now, I think this every day. Picking up and moving things is tedious and slow. Without the ability to zoom to the left and right (like swiping a mouse), it feels like it takes forever to move from the left side of the backpack to the right side of the active stash tab. The stash tab management on the XBox is ingenious, but I would have much rather used those buttons as "Home" and "End" shortcut keys vs. the "useful only once if I buy 100 stash tabs (again)" tab management shortcuts.

Summary:
I've typed a lot and am starting to lose track. I think the XBox version is great and hope that some of these enhancements migrate back to the PC. I know a ton of stuff the past year and a half are thanks to the XBox development and future things (like minion and aura savestate) are still thanks to it, so I've showed my support in double dipping.

I'll be back on the PC, probably around next year because I'm still converting friends to PoE on the XBox

Anyone have any tips on where to do the Flesh of the Beast prophecy so the Belly ilvl is high enough for 6 sockets?
The wiki says Phantasmagoria maps, I ran 10 rare ones tonight no luck.

Baliis

Anyone have any tips on where to do the Flesh of the Beast prophecy so the Belly ilvl is high enough for 6 sockets?

If you want, you can just get a lower level one and Vorici it to 6 sockets. Otherwise you can try looking for maps with the Abomination mod I think its called, I think those will spawn the mob type that you need, but it might take a few maps.

Dahbomb

Going for the lvl100 push this league. That's a milestone I have not achieved yet in this game.

I already killed Shaper and Uber Atziri. Up to lvl95 now.

Best way to do this is to do Beachead ROTAs. Even at lvl99, you get like 5-6% per ROTA so in 20 ROTAs you will be lvl100 when at lvl99. That's a lot of ROTAs but that's probably the quickest way to do it.

I still need to acquire some more gear on my character though. I still need a GG 4 damage property jewel and a Barrage helm enchant. Too bad they are like 20 exalts. And my stuff isn't selling this late into the league, I have some 2+ Exalt stuff that isn't selling even though I know it's worth that much (because I price check them constantly, people have similar stuff listed for way higher).

Mulgrok

Spectres now persist through logout/DC

God is real!

Unfortunately, desecrate now spawns only minion types that are in the current zone, excluding your spectres. I have to find them again if they die, but I lose them more to logout than death so it is a net positive.

If you want, you can just get a lower level one and Vorici it to 6 sockets. Otherwise you can try looking for maps with the Abomination mod I think its called, I think those will spawn the mob type that you need, but it might take a few maps.

Well today was a productive day

350 jewelers, ~two dozen chromatics, 2 divine orbs (Those rolls!!!), and about 150 fusings.

It's so ugly though :( Lioneye's vision was much cooler looking

Everything on SC Standard guild stash is free for all right? I've usually only been taking things from the remove only tabs because we have like ten billion of them.

Dahbomb

I am over a thousand fusings on one of my Beasts. I started the League strong on the 6 links (got a Belly, Queen of the Forest and Death's Opus 6 linked in under 600 fusings) but this Beast that I have right now is being hella stubborn.

Struggling to price this:

From what I can tell, if it had 120% more physical damage we would be talking Mirror territory, but there's nothing quite like it to compare. Is the physical damage too low for it to be that valuable?

Dahbomb

Add up the physical and Elemental damage average values, multiply it by the attack speed to find its DPS. If it's in mid 300 then it's worth something, otherwise not.

You can get unique axes for a Chaos that do around 300 dps so you need to beat at least that much. The +5 on kill really dampers the item though, can't even enchant the item. If that was crit multi instead then this would have been an absurd item.

Struggling to price this:

From what I can tell, if it had 120% more physical damage we would be talking Mirror territory, but there's nothing quite like it to compare. Is the physical damage too low for it to be that valuable?

The only it really has going for is that attack speed if you're going for more phys damage. You'd have to anull off that phys damage and hope for high flat lightning. People are generally either looking for ele damage or phys. Not a mix of both.

For it to be mirror worthy. You'd need to annul off both phys and that Mana roll and slam t1 light and another t1 affix that's appropriate.

Download poetrade macro. That will help price it. Sort by DPS and then check the crit chance affix. See what's similar. It's a really good axe. But probably won't be worth a lot.

Dahbomb

Guys I have some hidden tech so make some insane amount of money that I found myself today. I seriously doubt this is widespread information because the prices of the item in question has not tanked yet so I am sure only the POE illuminati folks would know about it.

Please don't share this information. Quote to reveal.

So everyone knows about the Zana add Breaches option which adds 2 Breaches for 6 Chaos. What people don't know is that the Breaches can be impacted by the Sextants.

You know those Sextant mods that say "Add monsters that deal X type of damage"? You should be putting them on your Sextants anyway because they increase density on your map. Well these Sextants influence which type of Breach that can spawn!

Say I get a Sextant that says "Add monsters that deal Lightning damage". Well the Breaches that will spawn on this map will have a way higher than normal chance to spawn as Esh. You see where I am going with this right?

There is a Sextant mod that is "Add monsters that deal Chaos damage". This makes it so that the Chayula Breaches spawn way more often. A single Chayula shard is worth a bit over a Chaos which means that if you are able to spawn 2-3 Breaches on a map that has the Sextant "Add monsters that deal Chaos damage" then you are VERY LIKELY to have at least 1 or more Breaches to be Chayula breaches!!!

I did this with like 9 maps and had at least 2 Breaches be Chayula (I also had the 1 additional Breach from the Sextant). I was able to farm up a Breachstone with the greatest of ease. I have never made such consistent money in my life.

Please don't share this around and let me be rich!

I finally reached my goal for the league and got a HH (1 doctor and 63 ex). Now I can't afford to build a character that truly takes advantage of it. The grind continues!

Dahbomb

That's the easy part. Make a Wander Finder, get a Pisco's Wand, Esh's Mirror, Tempest Binding and a 5 link Queen of the Forest. That's like under 120C right there, you can farm that by the time you get to tier 10 level maps.

I've wanted a wander all league but always thought it was too expensive. Them I found a doctor and bought a headhunter, not thinking that I could've completely geared a decent wander (all but that sweet 2 barrage tempest binding). Now I'm broke again.

My EK nova guy is fun with the HH, but I'm gonna dump my remaining 800c into a wander and continue the grind to make one before it's completely nerfed in the next league.

I've wanted a wander all league but always thought it was too expensive. Them I found a doctor and bought a headhunter, not thinking that I could've completely geared a decent wander (all but that sweet 2 barrage tempest binding). Now I'm broke again.

My EK nova guy is fun with the HH, but I'm gonna dump my remaining 800c into a wander and continue the grind to make one before it's completely nerfed in the next league.

Do it. Tempest binding. Piscator's. Esh mirror is all you really need, and a 5/6 link qotf. Single target damage is not good, but the clear speed is amazing. Great MF character.

On a side note. I think the league is finally dying down for me. I'm starting lose interest pretty fast and I've started vaaling my gear. Already bricked my 6L Disfavour, tempted to go ahead and vaal my 6L qotf and Starforge. Already went ahead and did my 39% kaom's and my 98% biscos. Luckily the only thing that's bricked so far is my Disfavour. Everything else just stayed the same.

Dahbomb

Damn Tarke RIIIIIPED on his 7500 HP Slayer Immolates Tornado Shot build at half way into lvl98 to 99 to a Vaal Detonade Dead from a Beyond mob in a Tul Breach.

Feels super bad man. It really felt like he would have made it to 100.

Man 7500 HP gone in a flash just like that. This game is so brutal sometimes.

Damn Tarke RIIIIIPED on his 7500 HP Slayer Immolates Tornado Shot build at half way into lvl98 to 99 to a Vaal Detonade Dead from a Beyond mob in a Tul Breach.

No kidding. I have over 10k life on my RF character. And I've STILL instantly died to random stuff when i mapped on it.

iamblades

Detonate dead by itself is bad enough in this game, vaal detonate dead is just stupid.

Dahbomb

ES nerfs were fine but they didn't have to also nerf the ES cluster behind CI. That would be like removing the life clusters behind Blood Magic.

ES is supposed to be an auxiliary defensive stat UNLESS you spec into CI. It's supposed to be similar to Armor and Evasion... you still want to rely on Life for the most part as that's the main stat, ES is just another layer. CI is supposed to augment the layer into something that becomes your primary defensive stat however you don't get any additional benefits from CI anymore which makes it generally bad to run outside of niche builds. This is why Hybrid ES/Life builds still work but CI is kinda struggling unless you are a rich kid.

Yeah I mean 100% Chaos Res is nice but not really worth losing all life. I still feel like I removing CI but then the game throws me a bunch of desecrate / chaos maps. I mean at this rate I'm even considering taking the Life/ES hybrid nodes because they're the only ES nodes I have left.

So what's the average number of fusings for 5L? Bought a real nice chest for 1 Alc but it was only 4S. I already rolled it to 5S but I need to link it. No chance in hell I can 6S/L.

okdETeb.png

+Life is a waste on my CI Witch but oh well.

ES nerfs were fine but they didn't have to also nerf the ES cluster behind CI. That would be like removing the life clusters behind Blood Magic.

ES is supposed to be an auxiliary defensive stat UNLESS you spec into CI. It's supposed to be similar to Armor and Evasion... you still want to rely on Life for the most part as that's the main stat, ES is just another layer. CI is supposed to augment the layer into something that becomes your primary defensive stat however you don't get any additional benefits from CI anymore which makes it generally bad to run outside of niche builds. This is why Hybrid ES/Life builds still work but CI is kinda struggling unless you are a rich kid.

I think they went one step too far. They need to revert one of the nerfs. Either the amount of ES on gear, the removed/changed nodes on the tree, or the node that allows life leech apply to energy shield. One of these need to come back and then ES will be in a good spot, IMO.

Honestly I think it's worth buying a jewellers touch to 5l something instead of spamming fusings. Though if you're CI wouldn't you rather have a 450 ES chest and supplement your resistances on boots, jewelry, or belt?

Honestly I think it's worth buying a jewellers touch to 5l something instead of spamming fusings. Though if you're CI wouldn't you rather have a 450 ES chest and supplement your resistances on boots, jewelry, or belt?

If you're going for a 5L never use fusings. Just get the prophecy. You'll save so much unless you're lucky and get a 5L in a few fusings.

Dahbomb

Yeah just buy the prophecy.

You can also try to slow roll with a 5l on a 6 socket item and hope to get a 6l but just play safe and buy the prophecy.

Oh I've never used prophecies before so it never occurred to me. I just blew my 20 fusings on it. :(

Will try this tonight!

I don't have any better chest armor sadly. This is already a huge upgrade because for some reason the game never gave me something better than the iLv 37 chest I have which had 150 ES and some res. That new chest is one of the cheap affordable ones I found from a quick search. It was only 1 Alc.

Rufus

If the drops aren't treating you well, you should just pick up a decent base and try to craft one using an Alch, Essence or Orb of Binding.

Yeah just buy the prophecy.

You can also try to slow roll with a 5l on a 6 socket item and hope to get a 6l but just play safe and buy the prophecy.

If I can't afford the 6L I'll just buy a 5 link prophecy, or a 5L version of the item. Then a 6 socket version of the item and just throw all of my fusings into while I farm. So I don't have to worry about ruining links on an item.

Kwixotik

Want to start playing this game, but I'm intimidated by the variety of classes and builds and the apparent ease of fucking up your build.

Anyone want to recommend a build or two to a new player?

Oh I've never used prophecies before so it never occurred to me. I just blew my 20 fusings on it. :(

Will try this tonight!

I don't have any better chest armor sadly. This is already a huge upgrade because for some reason the game never gave me something better than the iLv 37 chest I have which had 150 ES and some res. That new chest is one of the cheap affordable ones I found from a quick search. It was only 1 Alc.
It's better to spend a few chaos on an actually good bade if you're going to be spending 30c on the 5L. Try to get a base with at least 400 ES and 100 res (which seems to cost 1-2c if you don't need life).

Dahbomb

Want to start playing this game, but I'm intimidated by the variety of classes and builds and the apparent ease of fucking up your build.

Anyone want to recommend a build or two to a new player?
What's your playstyle or preference/fantasy?

I personally really like the Raider game play in this game. I like to go fast and hit swiftly. Raider also generally has easy and straightforward builds yet lots of versatility. Raider's ability to ignore Elemental ailment is very powerful and very noob friendly (you are less likely to die to freeze and shock stuff, allowing you to focus on mitigating Bleed and Curse.

Frostblades Raider using Touch of Anguish and Crit build would be my recommendation to most new players. It is very easy to start with, cheap to get going but can scale higher than the Dreamfeather non crit variation (Dreamfeather moves around faster but hits less hard making you struggle against single target).

Whatever you do, just make sure you get the Path of Building program first. I also highly recommend Raider Spectral Throw, either cold converted or lightning. I also personally recommend a bow build with Raider, Lightning Arrow, Tornado Shot or Ice Shot... all with Barrage for single target but bow builds are harder to play if you aren't used to them in these games.

A lot of people with also recommend Sunder Berserker and Cyclone Slayer which are fine beginner choices but you don't get the easy Elemental immunity with them.

Dahbomb

+1 for frost blades raider. Should be relatively cheap and fun to start. I can help with starter gear (tabula and princesses) if you need it.
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1848749
This is definitely most optimum end game Frost Blade build though I would probably change up Ruthless with Elemental Focus for bosses and sub in Critical Hit Damage for general mapping. That's going to end up being more damage. I would also change up Cold Penetration with Damage on Full Life for even MORE damage. This build actually has enough penetration as is.

I would also try to fit in a Vaal Haste in there for mapping instead of trying to get more value out of Ancestral Protector/Warchief (almost certain that Ancestral Protector is more damage) by using it as a 3 link.

And Starkonja's instead of Abyssus if you are too weak sauce.

Pretty happy with my haul tonight. Manage to fuse 5L after one try, got a decent currency haul, and found an upgrade for my Quicksilver Flask:
3QfKU8y.png

Top Bottom