• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game Informer: " Why Xenoblade Chronicles Makes Me Want To Punch a Kitten"

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
Game Informer's reviews are so bad. Arguably worse than IGN's.

mr stroke

Guy does have a point.

Weather he comes across well or not, it sucks that such a great game was released on lousy hardware.

Terrible jaggies every where, poor output to HDTVs and blurry textures ruin the aesthetics of a game. Like this one.

On Dolphin, maybe one of the generation's best looking games. On Wii, simply not possible.

I've been playing it on a 52" HDTV and I can't think of anything that's turned me off visually. If you're playing on any of the consoles you're going to have to deal with jaggies. I don't really find Xenoblade to be any more offensive in that area than your average HD game.

MYE

I for one am sick and tired of it. I’m tired of Nintendo having these awesome franchises and brilliant developers and shafting them with an absolute garbage can of a system. I’m tired of seeing Mario relegated to kitschy ideas because there’s no horsepower under the Wii’s hood; I’m tired of seeing Link fighting through the Temple of Brown Textures and Jagged Edges; I’m tired of seeing games like Xenoblade Chronicles, games with a world vision that dwarfs the imagination and fills the mind with awe-inspiring jaw dropitude, get thrown under the bus by Nintendo insisting on Grandma Waggle Party IV as its core demographic.

OMG what is this SHIT?

I want to punch him!!

It’s not acceptable to shackle an obviously talented team like Monolith Soft to the ball and chain of the Wii because you want to sell waggle. Either take your hardware seriously, or get out of the game entirely and let those more capable take over.

My fucking god. It infuriates me that he gets paid to write...THIS

These "Remember the good ol' days, Nintendo?" rants are so tired now. Nothing about Xenoblade's visuals is preventing me from greatly enjoying it.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Guys, it's a Game Informer opinion. If their reviews weren't of any indication of the kind of taste they harbor, I don't know what is.

Nothing to see here.

These threads are a continuous effort to highlight that the gaming media has gone to pot.

RedSwirl

After all this I'm starting to take to the opinion that if you are a videophile, console gaming isn't for you. Just build a PC rig and leave affordability to the people who prefer it.

Right now I'm in the middle of both Xenoblade and the PC version of The Witcher 2. TW2 looks fucking amazing - better than any console game, but I can still go back to Xenoblade on an HDTV and say it looks impressive. Hell, I can still go down to PSP and 3DS games and say they look impressive. Maybe I'm just better at scaling my expectations to whatever hardware I'm running a game on.

As for Nintendo, you gotta admit that most of their technology decisions have panned out well business-wise.

branny

The UI can be a little finicky, though. Like, when you first load up a game the map and stuff take a couple seconds to appear. Doesn't Dolphin actually make this better with snappier menus and such? That might be a more valid argument.

There is some slowdown in battle on the Wii when things get hectic, too, outside of the intentionally slowed down portions. But those moments just give you more time to navigate through your skills so it's only annoying if a quicktime event decides to show up and throw off your timing.

I've been playing it on a 52" HDTV and I can't think of anything that's turned me off visually. If you're playing on any of the consoles you're going to have to deal with jaggies. I don't really find Xenoblade to be any more offensive in that area than your average HD game.
To be fair, nearly everyone looks like a blurry makeup monster when the camera gets too close for comfort. :(

Dicer

Banned
Guy does have a point.

Weather he comes across well or not, it sucks that such a great game was released on lousy hardware.

Mario Galaxy was done on that hardware....so no it's not lousy...outdated maybe but hardly "lousy" A great game is a great game regardless of graphical prowess, sure graphics help but they are not the main point.....so many have seem to lost that train of thought though. I'd rather play the best NES game ever rather than some shimmery pretty shit game on the 360.

But different strokes for different folks.

d0c_zaius

After all this I'm starting to take to the opinion that if you are a videophile, console gaming isn't for you. Just build a PC rig and leave affordability to the people who prefer it.

Right now I'm in the middle of both Xenoblade and the PC version of The Witcher 2. TW2 looks fucking amazing - better than any console game, but I can still go back to Xenoblade on an HDTV and say it looks impressive.

This person gets it

Guys, it's a Game Informer opinion. If their reviews weren't of any indication of the kind of taste they harbor, I don't know what is.

Nothing to see here.
Then I guess GI is pretty good. They gave XB a 9. I also don't think this writer is a staff member.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
Guy does have a point.

That doesn't make any sense. Does it suck that Ocarina of Time was released on a N64? Does it suck that Final Fantasy VII was released on a PS1 instead on, say, PC at the time?

Xenoblade was released in the system it was available at the time. Period.

These "Remember the good ol' days, Nintendo?" rants are so tired now. Nothing about Xenoblade's visuals is preventing me from greatly enjoying it.

I think he said multiple times that he still enjoyed the game, just that it could have been better which I cant really argue. I'm not sure how people can even argue that the game wouldn't at least look better upscaled to 720p over the native 480p.

Just think about it objectively, I mean if nothing in xenoblade is changed at all and is given a higher resolution how is that NOT a better product?

MisterHero

I want the Vikings to have a winning season

It's not gonna happen, and yet they'll get their brand new stadium all the same

2San

I think he said multiple times that he still enjoyed the game, just that it could have been better which I cant really argue. I'm not sure how people can even argue that the game wouldn't at least look better upscaled to 720p over the native 480p.

Just think about it objectively, I mean if nothing in xenoblade is changed at all and is given a higher resolution how is that NOT a better product?
Well isn't that stating the obvious? It's the whole rant about how the Wii sucks graphically and all of that and how that's bad. Is what's bothering most of us. While the Wii went the responsible route of actually trying to sell consoles at a profit and gaining an edge through innovation, rather than going bleeding edge and one up the the competition that way. Honestly by this logic we should complain about every single game that's not designed for the newest hardware available.

StevieP

Banned
Somebody kickstart this man a PC
Xenoblade-Landscape.jpg

Bulzeeb

I don't have any problem with the graphics, its like a high quality ps2/gcn/xbox game, what really bothers me is the fact that nintendo neglected the game, heck I haven't finished the game yet but I can say it's the best Jrpg of this generation (excluding the psp/ds)

MYE

Somebody kickstart this man a PC
http://purenintendo.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/Xenoblade-Landscape.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

Whatever he gets paid, its already too much.

Fucking horrible journalism right here folks. Embarresing, almost

mollipen

I'm somebody who loves to dog on the Wii visually, but I like how Xenoblade looks. It's almost got sort of a "dreamy" look, and a lot of the time reminds me of FFXII (for more than just visuals, but also because of the visuals).

AniHawk

wouldn't most games on most current consoles look better if they were on things that made them look better?

Well isn't that stating the obvious? It's the whole rant about how the Wii sucks graphically and all of that and how that's bad. Is what's bothering most of us. While the Wii went the responsible route of actually trying to sell consoles at a profit and gaining an edge through innovation, rather than going bleeding edge and one up the the competition that way. Honestly by this logic we should complain about every single game that's not designed for the newest hardware available.

Sure you can think of it that way, or think of it as someone enjoying a wii game that simply felt like venting some frustration that such an amazing game couldn't be presented in its full glory.

I mean when you think about it objectively yes wii's graphics capabilites are below average at this point and nintendos innovation and art direction are above average. But yearning for better and wanting things to reach there full potential isn't a bad thing.

oh yeah, definitely the C64... I was just considering what would've been "competitive" in the Japanese market when the Famicom came out.
I can't remember if Sega's SG-1000 II was classed a home computer, but it was certainly out classed by the Famicom in 1983. Elsewhere, there were lots of home computers, though in NA I think Apple II was the standard to be compared to at that time. The C=64 was probably superior in the 1983-1986 time frame, but then the Famicom/NES surpassed it on software and cart expansion strength. Of course, in UK, they also had Amstrad and Spectrum, but I'm not familiar enough on them to compare.

Right now I'm in the middle of both Xenoblade and the PC version of The Witcher 2. TW2 looks fucking amazing - better than any console game, but I can still go back to Xenoblade on an HDTV and say it looks impressive. Hell, I can still go down to PSP and 3DS games and say they look impressive. Maybe I'm just better at scaling my expectations to whatever hardware I'm running a game on.
Good point. I've started playing KOTOR for the first time on OG Xbox, and while I notice at first the difference in 'graphics,' I quickly get absorbed in the game play and overall presentation, which is top notch. But then I'm also a 'retro gamer' so my sensibilities may be more forgiving than most 'modern' gamers.

2San

Sure you can think of it that way, or think of it as someone enjoying a wii game that simply felt like venting some frustration that such an amazing game couldn't be presented in its full glory.

I mean when you think about it objectively yes wii's graphics capabilites are below average at this point and nintendos innovation and art direction are above average. But yearning for better and wanting things to reach there full potential isn't a bad thing.
PS360's graphics capabilities are way below average as well. Haven't seen him write articles about Uncharted 2, Halo:Reach, Gears 3...

StevieP

Banned
So if I write a terrible article and post it on GAF will you kickstart me a new PC?

Yes.

wouldn't most games on most current consoles look better if they were on things that made them look better?

By that logic, why is Gears 3 only on the Xbox? It would look so much better on PC.
Heck, why doesn't someone write an article chiding Uncharted for being relegated to the PS3 when it would be so much better on PC as well?

Am I crazy for being able to boot up and enjoy my PS2 from time to time as well?

Penguin said:
I guess in my head, the thought is.. would we have gotten a game like Xenoblade if not for the Wii hardware?

While Square deserved to get shit it did for its "HD towns" type comments, there is an element of truth to it. Scale goes hand in hand with development cost and time. And I'm sure I don't need to tell anyone here that higher quality assets drives both of those things up substantially.

Hiltz

I get what the guy is saying, but Xenoblade's visuals from a technical perspective didn't bother me. It was easy to overlook it when the game's world was that big, colorful, immersive, explorable, and had little in the way of loading times between areas.

Oh come on, i wasn't arguing that this guy should win some journalist of the year award or that he isn't biased at some level since this is the first article of his ive ever read. My first post in this thread even said i cant disagree with some of his points even if the presentation used isn't just asking for trouble.

When you release SD console when the majority of people already have a HD monitor or tv of some sort then you have to at least expect that some people might feel that some wii games would have higher potential with better hardware. I have felt the same way about plenty of ps3 and 360 games not being on better hardware but that doesn't mean I enjoy the game given to me any less.

jaypah

The implicit assumption here is that if the Wii was more powerful Monolithsoft would have been able to take advantage of that power while still making the enormous environments. I think that's not necessarily a false assumption, but it is a dubious one.

So with 3x the power wouldn't the game have the same environments but look a lot better? I mean, if it already has enormous environments on the Wii but instead it was made for more powerful hardware why wouldn't the environments stay the same size while also looking better?

Also I agree with him to an extent. A lot of Wii games are just shit ugly to me. A lot of those same games look great to me in Dolphin so I suppose my only gripe is the resolution. Whatever, WiiU will be out soon enough and I'll be there day one again.

Andrew J.

So with 3x the power wouldn't the game have the same environments but look a lot better? I mean, if it already has enormous environments on the Wii but instead it was made for more powerful hardware why wouldn't the environments stay the same size while also looking better?

Increased development cost.

MisterHero

I guess in my head, the thought is.. would we have gotten a game like Xenoblade if not for the Wii hardware?
Nintendo owns the developer group who made Baten Kaitos which were pretty games as well, so whatever they'd made would've been on Nintendo hardware.

StevieP

Banned
Oh come on, i wasn't arguing that this guy should win some journalist of the year award or that he isn't biased at some level since this is the first article of his ive ever read. My first post in this thread even said i cant disagree with some of his points even if the presentation used isn't just asking for trouble.

When you release SD console when the majority of people already have a HD monitor or tv of some sort then you have to at least expect that some people might feel that some wii games would have higher potential with better hardware. I have felt the same way about plenty of ps3 and 360 games not being on better hardware but that doesn't mean I enjoy the game given to me any less.

Aside from the fact that there are quite a few games that run in near-SD resolutions (like 540p and 600p etc) on the HD consoles, at the time of release of the Wii HD penetration was far far lower. In retrospect, despite the only-normal length (5-6 years, instead of the extended 7-8 year) console cycle the Wii enjoyed and its sub-par third party support it was absolutely the right move.

It's not simply about pure graphical prowess. A more powerful machine allows for a bigger scope, for more things on screen at once without taking a framerate hit and who knows what else they could account for if the game had been created for something other then wii. Do I think it would have been viable to do so? Probably not but that doesn't somehow change the fact that more could have been done with the game on a more powerful system.

So why play games at all? You're never going to be playing anything on the all time best hardware. There will always be something coming that supersedes the current state of the art. It's like thinking that Nintendo should have held off making Super Mario Bros 3 on the NES and waited until they were on their last hardware generation(which is always whatever the current generation is, if the technophiles are to be believed). Instead, it seems most would rather keep chasing the dragon.

Tell you what. You guys play only the highest resolution games on whatever provides that for you. I'll be over here, playing those, as well as some pretty damned good games that aren't sporting "awsum graffix, dood!" I'll bet I end up enjoying more games than you.

What I was getting at, but yeah. This.

That doesn't make any sense. Does it suck that Ocarina of Time was released on a N64? Does it suck that Final Fantasy VII was released on a PS1 instead on, say, PC at the time?

Xenoblade was released in the system it was available at the time. Period.

Your post doesn't make any sense. PS1 was powerful when it was released, N64 was the most powerful console that generation.

Your comparison would be apt if Ocarina of Time was released on overclocked SNES tech.

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
I hate to say it, but I had the same feeling with most of the Wii games I played with the possible exception being the Mario Galaxy games.

TUROK

Complaints that the characters didn't display emotions as well as they could have because of low poly character models? No, that is entirely on either Monolithsoft or their budget. Nothing about the Wii's hardware made them use low poly character models in cutscenes.
Uh... Just because it's a cutscene doesn't mean their poly budget increases exponentially.

Why do people automatically jump to the conclusion that I or others don't find these games worth playing. They are enjoyable, great games. Human nature is to always want more, to always strive for better and I simply can't see it as a bad thing for people to urge nintendo, monolith or any other company to push the envelope.

I am fine with the game being on wii, and would be fine if it never was playable anywhere else. But I still would think about what could have been regardless to how much fun im having.

Levyne

Banned

So are you saying if the title was always to be developed for, say, ps3, they'ed simply develop a wii-esqe game and then up res it and add AA?

I mean, yeah we via dolphin see that the result would look good but no way would development actually follow that route.

Top Bottom