• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe review thread

I can see myself easily getting another 200 hours out of it on Switch.

A lot of that due to being able to play multiplayer on the go.

Yeah def got mileage for some people more than others. Personally, I've had my fill and would more or less be buying it 'just' cos its a MK lol!

I will resist! :)

trixx

I mean mario kart 8 was arguably the best game on the wii u. Essentially the same with the addition of battle mode, which I think should have had the battle mode that 8 deluxe currently has in the first place.

Doesn't seem that they fixed much of the issues I had with the game (most around single player), and it's full priced enhanced port? Pretty confused at the extremely positive reviews if I'm being honest.

Doesn't seem that they fixed much of the issues I had with the game (most around single player), and it's full priced enhanced port? Pretty confused at the extremely positive reviews if I'm being honest.

The only reason this wasnt a 10 / 10 the first go around is because of battle mode... They tweaked it and added proper battle mode ontop of 1080p and several characters with pack in DLC .. I dont see how the rating could be lower than the previous game.

Also the online service could change things as well.

Fliesen

Having the ability to do 4 player tabletop is great but damn... essentially playing on a 1.55" (6.2/4) screen is going to be rough.

Might want to go over that statement about 1.55" again :p

zt9vPtZ.png

just for those confused.
1 player: 6.2" screen (16:9)
2 players: ~4.1" screens each (portrait, 8:9)
4 players: 3.1" screens each (16:9)

edit: way too slow with my fancy low res photoshop :/

Wanderer5

You would think a full price rerelease would have an improved single player component

Eh probably already fair enough with all of the DLC included, plus an actual battle mode (can nintendo stop removing these modes lol, or half assing them in original MK8's battle mode case), and new characters.

But again it would be nice for missions mode that MKDS had to make a return. MKDS sure raised the bar for SP content actually heh.

AdanVC

It sucks being poor and not being able to afford a Switch with this game. My favorite and most played Wii U game :'/ Great reviews!

Lorcain

I'll be double dipping on this. Can't wait to play the new battle modes with my kids. That was the only disappointment for us with the WiiU version.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
This will be my first MK since Double Dash, can't wait.

lmcontaldi

Neo Member
Super late on this response --need to keep up better with GAF -- but I'm the DualShockers reviewer.

The $100 point I put in the conclusion was an average for more dedicated MK players -- people who grabbed Wiimotes, amiibo figures, and other peripherals would climb wag over $100. That's an assumption though, and I think a fair criticism of my own review

The point I was trying to make was that people who have spent $72 or $120, or somewhere in between and hundreds of hours will see much less pay off in the remaster and should consider the purchase more heavily.

That said, MK8D is fantastic and a must buy for those who either never played the original or grabbed the DLC. If you've got any questions, let me know.

I'm still not done with Zelda though. I need about 100 more in-game hours. Speaking of which, did they say when that DLC is coming?

LordKano

Super late on this response --need to keep up better with GAF -- but I'm the DualShockers reviewer.

The $100 point I put in the conclusion was an average for more dedicated MK players -- people who grabbed Wiimotes, amiibo figures, and other peripherals would climb wag over $100. That's an assumption though, and I think a fair criticism of my own review

The point I was trying to make was that people who have spent $72 or $120, or somewhere in between and hundreds of hours will see much less pay off in the remaster and should consider the purchase more heavily.

That said, MK8D is fantastic and a must buy for those who either never played the original or grabbed the DLC. If you've got any questions, let me know.

Uh sorry but that assumption is kinda eh. You need to buy controllers no matter what local game you're buying. Are you penalizing PS4 ports of PS3 games that had local play because "they already spent 50 to 200$" ?

I agree with the criticism of the price, but the 100$ comment makes no sense.

lyrick

The comment didn't and still doesn't make sense. It's best not to arbitrarily add the costs of hotas controllers to flight games, Arcade Sticks to fighters, or PS+/Live Gold/ISP fees to multiplayer games.

Grakl

I definitely don't mind the 80/100. Your price point line is absurd, though. No idea why you would consider controllers? If so, why don't you for every game bought for a system.

Eh probably already fair enough with all of the DLC included, plus an actual battle mode (can nintendo stop removing these modes lol, or half assing them in original MK8's battle mode case), and new characters.

But again it would be nice for missions mode that MKDS had to make a return. MKDS sure raised the bar for SP content actually heh.
This does - it has the DLC not included in the original.
I dont think that's really an improvement, it's just more cups, and cups are lame imo

I would settle for MKDS missions since this series will never get DKR or CTR treatment

Revven

Wait, did they put all this effort in to bringing back battle mode and just cripple it by not allowing elimination?

Who makes these terrible decisions?

Unfortunately, balloon battle has been that way since... I think Mario Kart Wii? I think DS still had the traditional elimination mode balloon battle (someone correct me if I'm wrong). So we've had three straight games with the score-based balloon battle and it grinds my gears!

Nintendo seems to think keeping everyone playing the game at all times is an improvement over a mode where you have to sit out for a few minutes because you got eliminated. At least make it an option in local multiplayer, Nintendo!

lol

Berordn

Unfortunately, balloon battle has been that way since... I think Mario Kart Wii? I think DS still had the traditional elimination mode balloon battle (someone correct me if I'm wrong). So we've had three straight games with the score-based balloon battle and it grinds my gears!

Nintendo seems to think keeping everyone playing the game at all times is an improvement over a mode where you have to sit out for a few minutes because you got eliminated. At least make it an option in local multiplayer, Nintendo!

You're right. DS had the really cool risk/reward option of blowing up extra balloons as a buffer or keeping yourself low to grab better items from the start.

MKWii focused on team battle for whatever reason and that's where we lost elimination.

Majine

Banned
They probably won't, but it would be awesome if they decide to make two more DLC packs for this game.

Infinite Mario Kart.

Kouriozan

I'm kinda surprised it's higher than 90 MC score, not going to buy it just yet since I have 200+ hours on the Wii U version.
Yes I know it's aimed for the tons of people who skipped the Wii U :p

phanphare

Banned

great base game + all the DLC included + more content on top of that = positive reviews

trixx

Is the only way to play with gaf is with tournaments?

Can we join someone in a game?

I think so, if there is space you can join in with someone on the buddy list, or is there's room in the gaf tournament you can also just join. You spectate if there's an ongoing match.

iirc, haven't played mario kart 8 for wii u in a while and I sold it :(

Extra controllers arent required to play Mario Kart 8 and shouldnt be included in the initial cost. What if the person who bought Mario Kart wanted to play 3D World or Pikmin or Smash Brothers with more than 1 player? Do you consider the value of the joycons? Because outright you can play 2 players on the switch and you cant do that on the Wii U?

Also you gotta factor in the DLC .. with MK8D you get all the previous DLC in addition to new DLC and Battle mode.. that has to count for something?

lmcontaldi

Neo Member
I definitely don't mind the 80/100. Your price point line is absurd, though. No idea why you would consider controllers? If so, why don't you for every game bought for a system.

Yeah, like I said, that's fair.

It is a weird line for the conclusion, given that it really didn't play a part in my review or score. More important is the hours people have put into the game, rather than impact to one's wallet. I could have done the math better though

Any impressions of how time trial ghost sharing works? They've consistently dropped the ball with that after perfecting it in Mario Kart Wii.

Top Bottom