• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdoms Of Amalur: Reckoning |OT| An Enemy-Pounding Funfest

Finished up the main quest at 54 hours. With a game this big there can be so much to bitch about but I've got nothing right now. It was a fun ride and much more than I expected even with its faults. Game was not on my radar until the giant demo thread. Thanks GAF!

Fuck.....continued playing and I'm at least a few hours back of where I was. I'm positive I saved, both quick save and normal. Fuck, not sure if I can stomach doing it all again for a while.

Grinchy

Banned
The first time I tried fighting the Maid, it seemed ridiculously hard. I died a few times and decided to leave the castle to sell stuff and maybe do some other quests before coming back.

I came back to it today and remembered the reckoning mode that I always forget exists. It made the fight so easy and kinda ruined it. I'm glad I naturally forget it exists because it would make every difficult boss fight a hand-held victory.

Jedi2016

The first time I tried fighting the Maid, it seemed ridiculously hard. I died a few times and decided to leave the castle to sell stuff and maybe do some other quests before coming back.

I came back to it today and remembered the reckoning mode that I always forget exists. It made the fight so easy and kinda ruined it. I'm glad I naturally forget it exists because it would make the every difficult boss fight a hand-held victory.
I'm working up toward that quest myself, should be interesting to see how it comes out. I've built my character as a tank, lots of armor, resistances, stacking health gems, etc. I use the shield when I go into boss fights for the extra mitigation.

I also forget Reckoning, unless I use it for a particular purpose. While it probably doesn't affect the game this way, I like to think that when I fateshift someone, especially a fae, I'm effectively cutting them out of fate's pattern entirely, preventing them from doing their usual revival, and truly killing them. I did it to the Widow in Webwood for that reason, although I did wait until she was weakened before I went into Reckoning.

I've only done it maybe four times in the 20+ hours I've been playing (I'm only lv16), and half of those were by accident in a button-mashing frenzy.. I've used it only twice "for real" that I can think of.

I have a question guys, there is a place (building) called Grand Bursars in Adessa, inside the building there are lots of locked chests and each of them needs a different key to be open. Does anyone know how to get the keys?

Also, what is the Vault key for? The one that you get during the last mission in Travelers quest line?

Trigunner

I have a question guys, there is a place (building) called Grand Bursars in Adessa, inside the building there are lots of locked chests and each of them needs a different key to be open. Does anyone know how to get the keys?

Also, what is the Vault key for? The one that you get during the last mission in Travelers quest line?

Each chest belongs to someone in Adessa. You can pickpocket the keys from them. From the few I opened there was just standard loot.

I think the vault key was used to open the left or right side in the den.

Find the NPC's that the chests belong to and steal their keys. One of them is the quest related guy near the entrance, he didn't have anything special.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
In regards to the earlier potions discussion and how "if the enemies are making you use them, doesn't that mean they're challenging", I agree, I too think the early part of the game has been a very fair challenge. But, I had a difficult fight on a House of Ballads quest that I spammed potions to get through. I then reloaded the save and gave the fight a try with no potions and no reckoning and managed to beat it with simple skill. Great, but the truth is the amount of effort I put into the fight without potions wasn't necessary because had I just used potions I could essentially spam the attack button and never dodge and still win. It's not up for the player to artificially limit/hamstring himself to have fun, the game should be balanced in a way that it challenges you without you having to add on extra handicaps. I try my hardest not to chug pots or use reckoning, but sometimes the thought of losing some progress wins out over "preserving the fun". Ya know?

Looking to pick this up soon.

Is it as big as Skyrim with quests and world size?

It's very big with plenty to do. Without getting into comparisons, the combat and customization as well as the ability to respec anytime make it a very fun game, even in small bursts. Get it!

gehrig38

Just finished up the Ballads line, no spoilers but it was as fun as I'd hoped it'd be, and I took the pacifist route:)

Now heading to Urul Tusk, as well as doing other stuff.

Not going to lie, the Twists of Fate are far cooler in game, than I remember them being in development:)

Full on Sorcery build and damn, I'm good:)

coopolon

There are some annoying aspects of the PC UI. For example, there are no keyboard shortcuts to inspect item, junk item, etc. It is incredibly annoying to have to use the mouse to manage the inventory (of course sometimes the mouse is better - scrolling, picking an item out of a long list. But often it's also better to use keys, both options should be available).

I also still can't reorganize my quickaction bar. When I click and drag abilities they don't drag, the bar just flashes and nothing happens.

I'm getting to level 20 and the difficulty is starting to go down rapidly. At first I thought it wouldn't be that big of a problem, but I'm starting to worry.

Wallach

There are some annoying aspects of the PC UI. For example, there are no keyboard shortcuts to inspect item, junk item, etc. It is incredibly annoying to have to use the mouse to manage the inventory.

I also still can't reorganize my quickaction bar. When I click and drag abilities they don't drag, the bar just flashes and nothing happens.

There are, the game just doesn't tell you them. 2 is compare, 3 is junk, 1 is activate/equip. Basically the game treats them exactly like the Xbox 360 buttons with the 1=A, 2=X, and 3=Y conversions. So you can literally do anything you can do with 1 you could with the A button on 360.

CTE

coopolon

There are, the game just doesn't tell you them. 2 is compare, 3 is junk, 1 is activate/equip. Basically the game treats them exactly like the Xbox 360 buttons with the 1=A, 2=X, and 3=Y conversions. So you can literally do anything you can do with 1 you could with the A button on 360.

Wow, awesome, thanks! I figured it must, I tried hitting random keys but I guess I didn't try the numbers. They should definitely include that in the keybindings in options, I checked there and didn't see anything.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
I'm loving Webwood, but man I have zero idea what the main quest was anymore. Out of my 13 hours playing like 30 mins was the main quest..I don't think I'll ever get back to it..

gehrig38

As Curt said, we'd LOVE to tell you what exactly will be in the patch and when exactly the patch will hit--we just don't know yet. When we're 100% confident of both the patch list (the list of changes/fixes) and the timing of the patch's release, we'll let you know!

Unfortunately, patching isn't something we can do overnight; it takes time to evaluate what's going on and determine what the biggest, nastiest issues really are, then it takes more time to solve those issues, then yet more time to VERY thoroughly test our fixes (the worst thing we could possibly do is break the game in NEW ways via a patch!), and finally a bit more time to actually get the patch certified and distributed through the various channels (Microsoft, Sony, Origin, Steam).

I'll tell you this much, though: we've already done a bunch of research (combing the telemetry data and spending a ton of time reading posts on this and other forums), we've got our tentative patch list together, and we're actively in the process of working on fixes for various issues right now. When we can tell you more than that, we will.

In the mean time, thank you for your patience, and kill a Boggart for me!

Ian S. Frazier
Lead Designer
Big Huge Games

Really amazed at how much I'm enjoying this one. I got it for $45 from Amazon. Perfect price point for it. It's a little rough in some spots, but they really got a good starting point for a sequel. I hope it sells enough to warrant one.

scy

...then yet more time to VERY thoroughly test our fixes (the worst thing we could possibly do is break the game in NEW ways via a patch!)...

Patches breaking things is like an MMO tradition. C'mon ... :)

I'll tell you this much, though: we've already done a bunch of research (combing the telemetry data and spending a ton of time reading posts on this and other forums), we've got our tentative patch list together, and we're actively in the process of working on fixes for various issues right now. When we can tell you more than that, we will.

I was hoping for it on this playthrough (and it still might, depending on my Vita playtime) but that's still good to hear. Hope to see some of the ideas from here or the official forums.

I'm an expert

So here's something that is pissing me the hell off. I have a Gem of Bloodthirst (15% chance to steal 15 hp per hit) in my bow and the thing simply does not proc. I've spent 15 mins shooting countless bows and constantly bringing up the menu where it shows your hp and it never moves. Actually it does regen 1 hp ever minute or so (is this base for every char? I have 0 hp regen stuff equipped) but I have never gotten 15 health off of a hit. Is this a bug or something? I can't find a thing about it online..

This kind of stuff always bugs me in rpgs. Stuff like +9% to crit frozen enemies at nighttime! but you have you have no real way of knowing if it's really doing anything or not. This one though is easy to check and it simply does not work.'

edit: I found a thread on the official forums with someone with the exact same issue - http://forums.reckoning.amalur.com/showthread.php?5005-Gems-not-working-for-bows

edit: and again, same issue: http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/991144-kingdoms-of-amalur-reckoning/61989322
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/991144-kingdoms-of-amalur-reckoning/61959347
People recommend charged shots but after trying many of those too it will not proc.

Sigh, that really kills this game for me. I can't stand not being able to customize how I want in an rpg. Lifedraining bow was perfect for my playstyle.

Huh? I had my Detect Hidden maxed out...and now it suddenly isn't anymore? Just made it into Mel Menshir and just noticed this, mainly because chests and lorestones weren't marked on my map anymore. Super confused......

Kevtones

Just finished up the Ballads line, no spoilers but it was as fun as I'd hoped it'd be, and I took the pacifist route:)

Now heading to Urul Tusk, as well as doing other stuff.

Not going to lie, the Twists of Fate are far cooler in game, than I remember them being in development:)

Full on Sorcery build and damn, I'm good:)

Really enjoyed the Ballads line. I liked the progression and locales. It had a surreal feeling to it that climaxed well (the town/bosses).

I actually helped my significant other finish it tonight. She's a WoW alum and I'm a never-played-WoW gamer. I'm a little further than her but we're both really enjoying it. I'm even enjoying watching/helping her play. Hurry on the DLC! :)

Some feedback:

- When cursed/need healing/etc. a BLUE CIRCLE (like a YELLOW QUEST CIRCLE) should pop up. It would direct you to the nearest healer. Maybe do the same when you reach inventory maximum with a SHOP KEEPER.

- Maybe make it so you can BUY items to FAST TRAVEL you from dungeons. They're well-laid out but we've both had minor quibbles of backtracking. It's far less heinous than in most games but BHG has streamlined everything so well it stands out.

- A better way for armor to come together. I like the 'chance' of the set-gathering but I can see the complaints of 'lots of useless loot'.

- What about 2X/3X fate builders? The game is well-challenging (on hard) for me; but adding intrigue to the button sessions might be interesting. Maybe as an ability you can build? Say you get 100% by pressing X and then get AYBXRYRXB or whatever to beef up 1% at a time?

We're loving the game!

(oh hey, I can post!)

Completed the main quest, so it's mini-review time - 56h, level 38, 139 quests done. I was definitely getting burned out after the Plains and skipped most of the quests in Detyre, but after getting to Mel Senshir the game picked up again and I was back on board for the last third.

I had a Finesse/Sorcery (faeblades+chakrams) build throughout the game, and since I usually go for quick and agile characters, it worked out well for me. I put 70 points to Sorcery just to see Meteor - which is indeed awesome - but then switched back to 50/50 because I like stabbing faces with Big Crits. I agree that even on Hard it was pretty easy, but I didn't really mind it that much; the combat was enjoyable and it allowed me to experiment with cool stuff while still being a badass. It did get ridiculously easy towards the end, however. Crafting some +damage% and +crit% gear obviously didn't help. (But it was damn fun.)

The combat and ability system was the biggest hook for me with this game. I don't get much out of fantasy settings these days (gah, more elves), but I liked the colorful environments and the Celtic-ish mythology. Alyn Shir's actress has an amazing voice. I liked that some NPCs recognized my new titles after completing major questlines. It wasn't much, but at least it felt better than Skyrim's completely static "hey, if you're interested in magic, maybe you should visit the College... huh, what archmage?".

For the next game:
- a bit more polish all around, especially for music/sound. The game was remarkably bug-free, though.
- less loading
- less backtracking through the whole dungeon. Some dungeons were nice about this. Maybe just enable fast-travel after completing the quest? Also, cities shouldn't have no-fast-travel areas at all.
- more combat options; some Batman-style counter skills, grabs and throws, unarmed combat, more abilities from parry?
- more diverse quests. There certainly were _enough_ quests, so maybe work on quantity vs. quality a bit.

All in all, a very positive surprise. Looking forward to more of this.

Arcteryx

Huh? I had my Detect Hidden maxed out...and now it suddenly isn't anymore? Just made it into Mel Menshir and just noticed this, mainly because chests and lorestones weren't marked on my map anymore. Super confused......

I've had this happen before as well, I think it was related to being cursed, and a subsequent bug. I went and got cured, but some things still didn't show up on my map (chests).

A reboot and a reload fixed it for me, try that.

1stStrike

Banned
Alyn Shir's actress has an amazing voice.

This. I actually listened to all of her dialogue and looked forward to parts of the game that involved her, as she had a great voice. The voice actor for her did a wonderful job.

For the next game:
- a bit more polish all around, especially for music/sound. The game was remarkably bug-free, though.
- less loading
- less backtracking through the whole dungeon. Some dungeons were nice about this. Maybe just enable fast-travel after completing the quest? Also, cities shouldn't have no-fast-travel areas at all.
- more combat options; some Batman-style counter skills, grabs and throws, unarmed combat, more abilities from parry?
- more diverse quests. There certainly were _enough_ quests, so maybe work on quantity vs. quality a bit.
- More Alyn Shir

Fixed up that next game request list ;)

I've had this happen before as well, I think it was related to being cursed, and a subsequent bug. I went and got cured, but some things still didn't show up on my map (chests).

A reboot and a reload fixed it for me, try that.

Must be a bug. I KNOW I had my Detect Hidden maxed out at 10/10. I was also wearing a helmet that gave me +1 Detect Hidden, but I was mainly wearing it because it also had a +10% experience point modifier on it, too. But, once I got rid of that helmet, my Detect Hidden was suddenly at 9/10. Kinda pissed, since now I'm going to have to dump another skill point to get back to where I was. Bleh.

GeoramA

Yes, understood that. But didn't understand at first why he had to reset each time he failed. But he just didn't want to do more than what was needed.
It doesn't tell you how many persuasion successes you achieved and they really aren't that common. A lot of people who have completed all 170+ quests missed it, so I was just being cautious.

Yeah, I know they're meaningless. But hunting them really makes you get more out the game, at least they do for me.

Hobbun

Hey, completely understand. :) Didn't mean my last post to be critical in any sense (if it came across that way).

I've picked up a few trophies for my PS3 version, but not a whole lot. However, it isn't all that important to me, whatever I get or don't get, is fine with me.

Just really enjoying the game right now. Thinking of switching back to using a long sword. My daggers are just too fast and making it too easy.

Felt really bad offing
the Maid of Windemere. Wish there was a third option instead of killing her or letting her rule, like just allowing her to flee and never return. Would have been fair. I'd be pissed if my lot in life was to be defeated over and over again.

Feel bad for Ettin, too, with their little primitive culture and whatnot. Every trip through Ettinmere makes me feel like I'm committing some sort of genocide.

Hobbun

I don’t feel bad in offing those
Ettin Warpriests
. They are a handful, even when using my daggers.

It’s actually quite satisfying when I take one down!

I don’t feel bad in offing those
Ettin Warpriests
. They are a handful, even when using my daggers.

It’s actually quite satisfying when I take one down!

I just wonder if maybe they have a good reason for doing what they do. I guess I mostly just feel this way when I perform stealth kills, totally unprovoked. Perhaps I killed the one peaceful Ettin in all the Faelands!...Probably not.

Well, after basically getting to around level 33 doing nothing but side quests, I kind of burned out on them. So, this past weekend I decided to finally tackle the main story quests in a sort of apathetic desire to get the game done with. Don't get me wrong, I love this game, but with like 65 hours into to already, I kind of need it to stop for awhile.

So, fought my way to Mel Senshir and naively thought that area was the last part of the game. Baby was fussy last night and even told my wife "I'll come help out when I beat the game, I'm really close to the end." Heck, there was even that big boss fight at the end that made it feel like the "end." Well, i wasn't close to the end. Not even close. Sigh.

So GAFFERs, how much more game is there for me to go through?

I haven't been able to check this thread but have they fixed the bug in the "Lock and Key" quest. Well basically has there been a patch(generally) sent out ?

coopolon

At this point I am going to stop playing and just wait for te patch. Hopefully our save games work with it

I'm thinking about this. Difficulty is really starting to plummet.

I probably should have waited a year to get the game. I didn't think it would be that moddable so it wouldn't matter. I am surprised and disappointed at how awful the difficulty curve is in the game, hopefully they fix it rapidly.

Other than the difficulty the game is pretty fantastic though. Then again I only just got to the plains but I'm still having a blast with it. While the complete lack of facial animation is a pretty big downer, the voice acting and writing has been pretty superb I think. For the majority of conversations I actually stop and listen. And while very derivative, the art style and world design is great. There are so many wonderful little details that I really enjoy finding while running around.

Top Bottom