• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2 wheel GAF UNITE!

OraleeWey

Yikes. You need a few more years on your bike license (and I assume you're still quite young?)

If you have the money and are happy to stick with a KLR then go for it. You can revisit something different in a couple years, you'll probably find insurance rates really drop once you're over 25 and have 3+ years riding behind you

I'm almost 24. Not that young but still a statistic under insurance companies books.

It's all good. By the time I can own a powerful bike I'll have a lot more experience. I'm more than happy with a KLR650 for the time being. It more than gets the job done for my needs.

Less than an hour of work left and it's absolutely downpouring. Without a doubt the heaviest rain I'll ever ride in so far.

Watevaman

I think you're either asking for too much coverage or the insurance companies are fucking with you. There is no way insurance should be that much, even on a brand new bike when you are 24. I would call some more companies if you can just to make sure.

For reference, my 16 year old ZRX costs $14/mo for liability with medium limits and I'm 25. No accidents within the last 3 years and no tickets. And that's a lot from what I've heard.

Dougald

I was paying £850 for my Bonneville when I first started riding

My Street Triple was £150, the Ducati is about £320. I'm 29 and have had my license over 5 years now

Wolfe

Got the replacement stock exhaust I picked up off ebay recently, forgot how much shorter the 06-08 version is than the current one. You'll have to excuse the gigantic pics, haven't messed with the camera settings on my phone yet so it's all default and too huge atm (hence the quotes).

Zwu0e4t.jpg

Prolly just paint it with some high temp automotive paint (at some point) and call it a day. Would still prefer a snazzy lookin aftermarket pipe, maybe CF or something, but this'll do for the foreseeable future.

Either way I'm quite pleased with the difference.

Such a great looking bike, that R6. Did you end up messing with the new exhaust at all, or is it stock?

Nice decal btw, we used to have a Counter Strike clan with that name back in the day. Stood for 'Beer Abusing Rogue Force'.

Wolfe

Naw, when I saw how much shorter that version was I figured I'd just throw it on as is to see how it looked (and to make sure there wasn't any differences between them as far as installation). Prolly not going to do anything to it at this point outside of throwing some type of black high temp paint on it so that it blends in a bit more with the rest of the bike.

As for Barf, in my area it stands for bay area riders forum, the funny part being that those vinyl stickers are almost 10 years old now (I just put them on after getting this bike in Dec) but I never got around to putting them on my last bike. Of course they don't sell them anymore so it's a relic now haha.

Dougald

Put another hundred miles on the BMW, stopped off at box hill. That cafe is much better than the last time I went, recommended now

OraleeWey

So, I just went back to the page where I first posted I wanted a bike and sort of skimmed through everything from that point. I just want to say, thanks for being all-around good people and thanks for being patient with me and answering all my questions as a new rider. You guys definitely gave me really good advice and most of what I learned came from this thread whether I knew it or not. Especially somthing like this:

The final time was riding with a friend. http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=175676550&postcount=9941. The lesson there is don't ride with people who behave like they're not being followed (and if you do, never forget the type of rider they are). I think I described my position as being "so close" but it was at least four car lengths. If he would have braked on a straight section of road I would have been fine, but the bizarre layout of that section meant I was scanning elsewhere. We had been riding over an hour, so I felt very much in "the pace" we had going. There's a warning sign before the road he wanted to turn, but I never got a turn signal from him. If you don't know the road is there, it's extremely easy to overshoot.

I have experienced exactly what he mentioned above. I'm fairly certain that this advice has been engraved in my subconscious because I do precisely what he adviced.
Example: When I went to go test ride the SV650s just a couple of days ago, one of the employees had to come with me (I had to follow him) during the demo. He "forgot" I was following him and was going much faster than I was. I wasn't gonna do as I saw. I stayed in my comfort zone.

@Dougald
Not sure if you remember but you recommended I get this one book "A twist of the Wrist vol 2". I'm going to go ahead and order one from amazon soon to try to improve on my riding skills. There's always room for improvement.

Also I think I know why I had a better time with the Scrambler 803 rather than the Monster 821. You explained it earlier:

Thank god for that throttle remapping on the 1200. Sport mode may be fun but its a pretty damn horrible experience under 40mph or in traffic.

I actually just leave it in "Touring" 99% of the time... doesn't shed too much power and makes the throttle much smoother. "Urban" makes it handle like a 250 and is awful.

The bolded part, when I test rode it it was set to "urban". I probably should have changed the modes but I didn't really want to since it was a new bike/experience for me.

Annnnnnd I noticed some of the pictures Fallout-NL has been posting. Hey man, you're a really good photographer! I personally really like this one - the one with the light pole. It's probably the contrast between the blue sky and the clouds, I dont know, I just really like it. But all your pics are amazing.

Dougald

So, I just went back to the page where I first posted I wanted a bike and sort of skimmed through everything from that point. I just want to say, thanks for being all-around good people and thanks for being patient with me and answering all my questions as a new rider. You guys definitely gave me really good advice and most of what I learned came from this thread whether I knew it or not. Especially somthing like this:

That's what I love about this hobby, most people are genuinely just happy to chat bikes with other likeminded souls. It's only the younger "lad" types I've ever had trouble getting along with

@Dougald
Not sure if you remember but you recommended I get this one book "A twist of the Wrist vol 2". I'm going to go ahead and order one from amazon soon to try to improve on my riding skills. There's always room for improvement.

It's a good read - There's a corresponding video which is worth a watch, the book just goes into a lot more detail. It really helped me to understand the mechanics of how motorcycles go around corners a bit more.

Also I think I know why I had a better time with the Scrambler 803 rather than the Monster 821. You explained it earlier:

The bolded part, when I test rode it it was set to "urban". I probably should have changed the modes but I didn't really want to since it was a new bike/experience for me.

Heh, that would be it then. I've only used Urban mode once, when I first rode the bike. I pulled over after 5 minutes because I couldn't believe the engine was that awful! The Scrambler probably still has more low-end torque though - but Urban mode in the 821 will drop you down from 112 horsepower to 75, and make the throttle a lot more forgiving, so there's quite a difference.

...and yeah, Fallouts pics are great! I tried to snap a pic of the R1150 and my mates Diavel earlier today but it just came out... bleh

Dougald

Spent some time in a Ducati dealership over the weekend and I may have re-kindled my love for the DVT multistrada a bit. I guess if I still love the monsters engine after a couple years it would be a good upgrade... For £150 a month on PCP Finance I was almost tempted... almost

They also had a Black ST3, last year of production. That is a sweet looking sport touring bike, a shame that market is basically dead (I guess the new SuperSport is the closest thing they have now?)

0ULqKnHl.gif

Yes a very nice looking bike. But as you said the supersport is going to take up that spot. Spotted 2 ducati panigale 1299 r over the weekend. The two guys where all leathered up and not race track in sight. Awesome looking machines

I think you're either asking for too much coverage or the insurance companies are fucking with you.

I'll echo this. Shop around a bit. When I was 19 and got quoted insurance it was something crazy like 8k/yr. No accidents or anything. That scared me off of course but a year later I started looking again and shopping around and rates really varied a lot.

Do you know what numbers they're crunching? As far as deductible, coverage, etc?

OraleeWey

I'll echo this. Shop around a bit. When I was 19 and got quoted insurance it was something crazy like 8k/yr. No accidents or anything. That scared me off of course but a year later I started looking again and shopping around and rates really varied a lot.

Do you know what numbers they're crunching? As far as deductible, coverage, etc?

Yeah, everything was the exact same as it is now except a different bike. I could probably make some changes here and there but it will still be too much.

I had quoted the FZ-10 which came to 5k a year. Also quoted a 2016 KLR650 which came to 1.1k a year. So... Not sure exactly what the issue is. For my 2006 KLR650 I pay $612 a year.

Yeah, everything was the exact same as it is now except a different bike. I could probably make some changes here and there but it will still be too much.

I had quoted the FZ-10 which came to 5k a year. Also quoted a 2016 KLR650 which came to 1.1k a year. So... Not sure exactly what the issue is. For my 2006 KLR650 I pay $612 a year.

Did you try progressive? They gave me the best quote and they gave my brother the best quote for his harley as well. What kind of deductible did you choose?

Ah, yeah. Pretty sure it's because it's a liter bike. For liter bikes, I guess your only option is to buy a older one, or wait until your 25+.

They also had a Black ST3, last year of production. That is a sweet looking sport touring bike, a shame that market is basically dead (I guess the new SuperSport is the closest thing they have now?)

I'd count the Multistrada as a sport tourer - its off-road capabilities are not that great compared to competition, but almost everyone sings its praises as a touring bike. Plenty of power on tap :)

OraleeWey

Did you try progressive? They gave me the best quote and they gave my brother the best quote for his harley as well. What kind of deductible did you choose?

Yeah, I called Progressive first and then Geico, which is what I have now. I'm not sure what the deductible is, I didn't really ask. I just asked for a "quote" when I called progressive. For the FZ-10, it was something like $600 to start the insurance and then $300 a month after that. Which is like some $1,000 less than what Geico quoted me more or less. For the 2016 KLR650 it was about the same as Geico.

Ah, yeah. Pretty sure it's because it's a liter bike. For liter bikes, I guess your only option is to buy a older one, or wait until your 25+.
Yeah I'm just going to have to wait. It's okay though. I am more than happy with my KLR650. I think I'm going to trade my 06 for a newer one for the time being and some time in the future I'll purchase something else.

Yeah I'm just going to have to wait. It's okay though. I am more than happy with my KLR650. I think I'm going to trade my 06 for a newer one for the time being and some time in the future I'll purchase something else.

If you're not experiencing any troubles with the current one, I'd hold onto it actually.

Bought the DL1000. Picking it up tomorrow, have OEM crash bars, hand covers and heated grips to install, and then got an SW Motech skid plate as the OEM is goofy. Now to figure out what luggage to get for the spring so I can do some long distance ride and hikes. After the cold ride home tonight, excited to have fairing + screen and then the grips when they're in.

OraleeWey

If you're not experiencing any troubles with the current one, I'd hold onto it actually.

The bike runs great. Engine is strong, shifts beautifully, clutch is on point, but it has some issues.

One, and the biggest one is the rear shock. Previous owner broke the adjustment.

Turn the bolt to make the suspension stiffer or softer.
Z9PnrHZ.jpg

Well, nothing happens. It's currently set to the softest setting. It's broken.

Two, it's probably the battery but the dashboard lights on my bike dim, don't know how to explain it exactly but they just dim. The lights dim and go to full brightness, it's noticeable at night. That's why I had to get an LED for my bike because it was affecting the headlight too. The lower power consumption from the LED helped some.

It could be electrical or it could be the battery. I don't know how to diagnose it but the battery starts the bike just fine. However I have to admit, just today the battery seemed low on juice when I was staring the bike. It managed to turn the bike on today but when I turned it off it seemed to have died. So I may just have to jump start the bike later today.

Not to worry though. Tomorrow I will put the battery on a battery tender and charge it.

Other than just those 2 issues the bike is fine. So my thinking is either fix it or use that money for a Gen 2 KLR650.

Reasons I want a Gen 2 KL650 is because it has better parts. Like the suspension is stiffer right out of the box. Some parts have been upgraded. The new fairing design is more aerodynamic and slightly more comfortable on the highway.

So I wouldn't mind some upgrades and a new KLR650 which I will never get rid of. I've been holding off spending some money on my bike like buying some engine guards, etc, because I have been putting some thought into buying a Gen 2. I'm still deciding though and I'll come to a conclusion when there's no chance of snow. So we will see.

The red bike is the 1987-2007 design (or Gen 1 KLR650) and the digital camo bike is the 2008-2017 design (or Gen 2 KLR650).

So I may just have to jump start the bike later today.

In case you are not aware or thinking it about it, never jump start a motorcycle from a car. You'll fry fuses (and possibly electronics).

The cooler temps out will make it harder to start and if the battery doesn't hold till next spring you'll just need to bite the bullet and buy a new one.

OraleeWey

In case you are not aware or thinking it about it, never jump start a motorcycle from a car. You'll fry fuses (and possibly electronics).

The cooler temps out will make it harder to start and if the battery doesn't hold till next spring you'll just need to bite the bullet and buy a new one.

What do you mean by jump starting from a car?

I was thinking of rolling the bike and dropping the clutch from second gear.

Edit: I guess I meant to say push start not jump start. Thankfully though I didn't have to, the battery is low but it was able to start the engine.

Anyway I took some video of the weird light dim. It's only noticeable at night - Gfycat.

Dougald

If you have a multimeter, read the voltage on your battery, then start the bike and read it again, it should be higher when running. If not, your stator and/or rectifier are probably faulty

Ask me how I know

Trickytoon

Neo Member
If you have a multimeter, read the voltage on your battery, then start the bike and read it again, it should be higher when running. If not, your stator and/or rectifier are probably faulty

Ask me how I know

It never ceases to amaze me how much bike manufacturers cheap out on the design of their electrical systems. A top tip if you buy a second hand Honda is just to budget for a new reg rec and battery and hope to god your stator is ok.

Anyway I took some video of the weird light dim. It's only noticeable at night - Gfycat.

Similar symptoms to reg rec problems for one of my bikes - could be a sign your reg rec is on the way out. In addition to breaking out the multimeter Google the forums for your particular bike model and see if its a known issue. Most forums have some good guides on how to test the electrical system with a multimeter - I'm a DIY incompetent but thanks to Honda I've followed them with a great deal of success recently!!

Dougald

It never ceases to amaze me how much bike manufacturers cheap out on the design of their electrical systems. A top tip if you buy a second hand Honda is just to budget for a new reg rec and battery and hope to god your stator is ok.

My Triumph stator and R/R failed, then the replacement stator failed 3 months later

Ducati seem to just know it'll break because I can get my dash to show the current battery voltage, lol

OraleeWey

Ask me how I know

OK cool. I don't really know a whole lot about the electrical side of things but I found some very informative videos on YouTube. It seems to be easy to check thee stator and rectifier. First time I'm hearing about these BTW. I need to get a multimeter first.

Dougald

OK cool. I don't really know a whole lot about the electrical side of things but I found some very informative videos on YouTube. It seems to be easy to check thee stator and rectifier. First time I'm hearing about these BTW. I need to get a multimeter first.

Easy enough, just get a cheapo multimeter, set it to DC and touch the probes to the head of your battery, should read 12-13V when the bike is off. Then monitor what you get when the bike is running. If it's lower than the initial battery reading or jumps all over the place you've got a problem! It should increase steadily if you rev the engine.

Testing the R/R and Stator would be down to your model. On the Triumph one it was easy enough as the stators short to ground when busted.

I'm not super great with electrics myself, but in laymans terms your bike spins the alternator, which makes the stator generate power, which is regulated through the rectifier and then goes into your battery.

Heh, I like the clear alternator belt cover combined with the BMW badge on the alternator drive itself. Clever idea

OraleeWey

So I charged the battery with the battery tender and then checked the voltage. It read 13.19 volts off and 14.68 volts on. I probably should have let it sit for a while though before checking.

The light flickering seems to be because of the battery. After charging it with the battery tender, all lights are full brightness. I'm not sure if I need a new battery or if the battery isn't being charged.

But a fully charged battery = a happy bike.

Dougald

I can confirm push starting a Street Triple works too... and a Bonneville... and a Yamaha Fazer 600.... Damn I don't have the best track record do I?

So I charged the battery with the battery tender and then checked the voltage. It read 13.19 volts off and 14.68 volts on. I probably should have let it sit for a while though before checking.

The light flickering seems to be because of the battery. After charging it with the battery tender, all lights are full brightness. I'm not sure if I need a new battery or if the battery isn't being charged.

But a fully charged battery = a happy bike.

I recommend getting an optimate or similar thats designed to be left plugged in all the time. Especially when it gets cold, batteries tend to die. Just give it a good voltage check after a nice long ride, make sure that it's not lower than it was when you set off, and your charging system is probably ok...

If you're worried you can always change the battery - in fact I've done that within 6 months of owning every bike I've ever had except the Ducati. It's easy enough.

I recommend getting an optimate or similar thats designed to be left plugged in all the time. Especially when it gets cold, batteries tend to die
That's what I do with the Harley and now the Triumph, although I've only got one charger so swap it over every couple of days. No biggie but will eventually get another charger. My BMW I use enough to keep it charged sufficiently. Have to see how bad winter is though.

Dougald

That's what I do with the Harley and now the Triumph, although I've only got one charger so swap it over every couple of days. No biggie but will eventually get another charger. My BMW I use enough to keep it charged sufficiently. Have to see how bad winter is though.

You can actually get a twin optimate charger that will do both at once I believe

I haven't bothered buying one because I keep getting it in my head that I'll buy a lithium battery

Dougald

Enlighten me, I'm sat here at work looking at Windows systems (which as a Linux admin should be against the geneva convention)

I already have a winter list going...

- change alternator belt on R1150R
- change/bleed brake and clutch fluid on R1150R
- bleed godawful rear brake on the Ducati

I might get some bar risers for the Monster to make it a bit more tour-y. All that money I had earmarked for a GS has been spent on other things, and I'd like to head up the the Isle of Man in 2017, which means using the Ducati

Watevaman

Haha, well there is stuff I need to do and stuff I want to do:

Needs:
-Rebuild front calipers and put on SS lines
-Valve adjustment
-Install some no-flo plugs and block off plates for emissions system
-Flush radiator

Wants:
-Possibly install new Black Widow headers or, if I could afford it, throw on a Kerker meg
-With exhaust, jet the carbs
-Pod air filters
-Install ignition advancer
-Send shifter linkage off to be rebuilt

If I did all of this, it would cost more than what I paid for the bike (Kerker is $1200+ new) but it would also transform the bike.

I'm also still toying with the idea of a TW200, but that would mean doing nothing to the rex.

Dougald

If you can beg/borrow/steal an ultrasonic cleaner from somewhere, it makes cleaning up those brake caliper parts much easier

If you can get some cheap speed bleeders while you replace the lines, it also makes bleeding the brakes a snap. Problem is, every time I fit them I end up selling the damn bike a year later!

Dougald

"Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays Dougald from riding Motorcycles"

It's bloody cold, wet and dark. But I was out on the Ducati this weekend and I will continue to do so until they put salt on the roads, and then screw that because I don't think the finish could take it

Yeah, the cold isn't too bad. You can dress for it, to a degree. But that salt is just not cool.

It's nice over here in the Netherlands though, a good 15 degrees here yesterday, went for a ride to the beach.

Same here, I went out for a nice 2 hour ride on Saturday morning and it was great fun. I now ride with my rain jacket and it keeps so much of the wind chill out its amazing.

This weekend I need to wash the bike and spray some ACF over the front bits. Just for a bit more protection.

Stevey

I went out on the Buell last Sunday.
Didn't enjoy it at all roads were wet and damp, leaves everywhere, mud all over the shop from tractors.
Not going out on it again until spring.

Bought a bunch of A* gear on closeout at nice discounts this past few weeks.

Valpairaisa pants - replacing some generic Olympia pants I have; the suspenders are nice, zipper mates properly with the jacket for a good seal, the armor is in the "correct" place for the knees--slightly annoying on the kneecap when standing/walking, but in the proper place when legs are bent on the bike. Has a quilted layer that can be removed.

Valpairaisa jacket - this has... a lot of zippers and layers. Inner quilted layer that can be removed. Inner waterproof liner zipper, then a flap, then outer wind/waterproof layer, and another flap to seal that. Reviews complained about the seal around the neck irritating but if you position one of the inner layers 'correctly' this doesn't occur. Has nice rubberized zippers on exterior that are easy to grip, and the sleeves zip both up and down. The back has a long tail to avoid water or whatever getting up into the jacket although I find I occasionally sit on it and have to adjust. I have their Nucleon whatever back protector in there, don't really notice it. All in all nice kit, although one thing I do miss from my older Suzuki adventure jacket is the little quilted hand pockets behind the front top-loading pocket bits. Makes it annoying to wear when not riding because you don't have anywhere to put your hands.

Archer gloves - wanted a pair of armored winter gloves. These fit the bill there--palm slider and knuckle protector, and the fit is pretty good, nice cuff setup, etc. However they don't really keep my hands warm below 45F/7C for extended riding. Ah well, that's why I bought hand covers and heated grips for the DL1000...

Speaking of which, just about one hundred miles into the DL1000. It's... interesting. Adjusted the windscreen up, trying to see if I can get away without buying a touring screen (I'm just over 6ft/shy of 2m tall). Still getting a feel for the shifting and throttle to the same level of comfort with my other bikes.

I have pretty much committed to the fact that one of the cars will sit in the driveway this winter while the bikes live in a bay.

Watevaman

Worked on my car a bit this weekend, but got just a tad bit more to do before it's done. Figured I would be able to take the bike to work this week if needed, so I pulled it out of the shed and started it up. Then I checked my tires....

The rear almost has no siping in the middle anymore. A month ago it was just above the wear bars, so I guess that final stretch went really fast. I was hoping to at least make it through the minor winter riding I do. So much for riding to work during this beautiful weather we are having. Took my girlfriends car and it's boring as heck.

Doing research on some longer lasting tires for the ZRX and its 550 pounds. The Pilot Powers grip great but their life is short, as to be expected. I'm thinking of throwing a Pirelli Angel GT on the back this time around.

Top Bottom